PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame vs. Mich. St. 1966 -- Jimmy Raye is throwing INT's !!!

Kylo Ren
09-18-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm watching the "game of the century" on ESPN classic. I assume the Jimmy Raye that is QB for Mich. St. is the same Jimmy Raye that was the former Chiefs O-Coordinator, although I don't know that for sure. Maybe someone could clarify. Bubba Smith was on this 1966 Mich. St. team as well. Rocky Bleier was was playing for Notre Dame.

whoman69
09-18-2004, 09:47 AM
He had trouble getting the Chiefs to score as well.

Kylo Ren
09-18-2004, 09:49 AM
Bubba Smith just got a sack with 6 seconds to go in the game. Notre Dame is trying to get into field position for a FG.

Kylo Ren
09-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Why was this the game of the century? It turned out to be a 10 - 10 tie. They didn't play overtime. The last several plays of the game, Notre Dame didn't throw the ball at all. They just kept running the ball in order to play for a tie. They weren't playing to win. I guess that is the big controversy. Notre Dame knew that if they tied the game, they would still get enough votes to win the national championship from the Catholic east coast writers. Therefore, the coach of Notre Dame played the safe game for a tie instead of trying to win the game.

Kylo Ren
09-18-2004, 10:02 AM
OK. Now I know why they are calling it the game of the century. It's because this game changed college football, the way TV covered colledge football, they way the college football national champion was chosen and the way sports writers covered college football. I guess the controversy around this game and the way the Notre Dame coach played like a wimp and purposely played for a tie instead of a win, revolutionized college football by forcing several big changes.

ChiefsFanatic
09-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Raye did win a Rose bowl while at Michigan St, IIRC.

Deberg_1990
09-18-2004, 10:10 AM
He had trouble getting the Chiefs to score as well.

For the most part...that 2000 year we had a pretty decent offense though......Grbac threw for over 4000 yards...Gonz had a huge year, his best ever if i remember correctly? and even Alexander had a big year that year.

Kylo Ren
09-18-2004, 10:15 AM
For the most part...that 2000 year we had a pretty decent offense though......Grbac threw for over 4000 yards...Gonz had a huge year, his best ever if i remember correctly? and even Alexander had a big year that year. Didn't we go 7-9?

Deberg_1990
09-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Didn't we go 7-9?

Yes...but our offense was pretty darn good that year. That was the beginning of the end for our Defense that year.....it hasnt been good since 1999 to be honest...

whoman69
09-18-2004, 10:43 AM
For the most part...that 2000 year we had a pretty decent offense though......Grbac threw for over 4000 yards...Gonz had a huge year, his best ever if i remember correctly? and even Alexander had a big year that year.
But their running game sucked and they couldn't win games because they had no control over the clock. The year before they led the league in rushing but threw too many passes to the other team. In this time period we had a game against Tampa that we force 7 turnovers, many in enemy territory and still lost the game because we couldn't score. I believe its the most lopsided turnover ratio ever for a losing team. Raye teams could run well, or they could pass well. You had to take a choice because they could not do both.

Bowser
09-18-2004, 10:45 AM
We had zero running game in 2000. Our offense was a version of the Run-and-Shoot. Grbac's numbers were overinflated due to the lack of a running game.

KChiefs1
09-18-2004, 11:16 AM
I'm watching the "game of the century" on ESPN classic. I assume the Jimmy Raye that is QB for Mich. St. is the same Jimmy Raye that was the former Chiefs O-Coordinator, although I don't know that for sure. Maybe someone could clarify. Bubba Smith was on this 1966 Mich. St. team as well. Rocky Bleier was was playing for Notre Dame.

I know I maybe an old man, but that game was huge. It was probably bigger than the Super Bowl back then. Jim Lynch was on that Notre Dame defensive team along with Alan Paige. Bubba was the BMOC at MSU. Jimmy Raye was the MSU QB.

I wish I had caught it.

Kylo Ren
09-18-2004, 11:22 AM
We had zero running game in 2000. Our offense was a version of the Run-and-Shoot. Grbac's numbers were overinflated due to the lack of a running game. I remember that most of Gbac's passing numbers came in the 4th qtr. We were always playing from behind and trying to catch up. The opposition's D was playing prevent Defense. That's why Grbac had so many passing yards. It was kind of a fluke.

Deberg_1990
09-18-2004, 12:02 PM
We had zero running game in 2000. Our offense was a version of the Run-and-Shoot. Grbac's numbers were overinflated due to the lack of a running game.

yea you guys are probably right now that i think about it.....Who was our leading rusher that year anyways?? Bennett? Anders?? or was that the year before?

Bowser
09-18-2004, 12:04 PM
yea you guys are probably right now that i think about it.....Who was our leading rusher that year anyways?? Bennett? Anders?? or was that the year before?

I think that was the year Anders landed the starting RB job, and blew his achilles tendon against the Donks. Had a great game, it was a shame to see it happen.

Deberg_1990
09-18-2004, 12:23 PM
I think that was the year Anders landed the starting RB job, and blew his achilles tendon against the Donks. Had a great game, it was a shame to see it happen.

yea that was damn shame.....he had a great game that day. At least he went out on top!