PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Priest can be a real mystery

tk13
09-21-2004, 01:06 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/9716262.htm

Holmes can be a real mystery

JASON WHITLOCK

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil isn't trying to be misleading or dishonest when it comes to Priest Holmes' health or Holmes' use in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Yes, Vermeil sounded vague and evasive after Sunday's game when a reporter questioned him about Holmes being sidelined for the final few series against the Panthers. Was Holmes hurt? No, Vermeil claimed. So why wasn't Holmes in the game? Priest was healthy, Vermeil re-stated, sidestepping the question.

On Monday, Vermeil announced that Holmes suffered an ankle and knee injury Sunday and that the league's best touchdown scorer is questionable for this week's game against the Houston Texans.

“It's nothing serious,” Vermeil explained.

So did the injuries knock Holmes out of the Carolina game? No, Vermeil claimed. So what happened? Vermeil, bothered by the questioning, snapped that his team was down 11 points and the coaching staff decided not to use Holmes anymore.

Hmmm. So either Vermeil and his coaching staff quit or the Chiefs are hiding the details of Holmes' injuries.

There's a third option. And it's the option I believe. Vermeil sounds vague and evasive because the Chiefs don't have a firm grasp of exactly what's wrong with their star running back.

Priest Holmes is a very mysterious man and an even more mysterious communicator. He likes Vermeil and the Chiefs' coaching staff, and Holmes respects the Chiefs' front office. But Priest Holmes keeps his business — all of it, even the football stuff — to himself.

The biggest clue that something was wrong with Priest Holmes on Sunday was when he limped/jogged to the sideline and took his helmet off. When the Chiefs have the football, it's rare for Priest to take his helmet off. He's always ready to play.

I'm sure Holmes told Vermeil he could go back into the game, but Vermeil has been coaching football for a long time. He can sense when there's something wrong with one of his players, especially when it's a player you have to read more than listen to. You definitely have to read Priest Holmes; listening to Holmes can be very confusing.

Vermeil may have thought there was something wrong with Priest on Sunday afternoon, but Vermeil didn't know until Monday morning, until he had read a doctor's report and seen Priest hobbling around in an ankle brace.

So after the game, Vermeil didn't want to comment about Holmes. Vermeil didn't want to say something inaccurate. So he tried to say nothing.

On Monday, Vermeil read straight from a doctor's report. He's not trying to hide anything. Vermeil just wants to stick to the facts as best as he knows them. That's the best thing to do when talking about Priest Holmes.

A wise and strikingly handsome columnist once went out on a limb and suggested that Priest would never fully recover from a hip injury. Twenty-seven touchdowns later, the remarkably intelligent columnist had to eat crow in front of Holmes and a thousand spectators at a Westport bar.

This last off-season when Priest was contemplating retirement, he didn't communicate with the Chiefs' coaching staff. He disappeared. Carl Peterson and Vermeil had no idea what was running through the mind of their most important player. They were left worried and wondering just like everyone else.

Again, Priest doesn't have a problem with Vermeil or Peterson. Priest is just mysterious. It's nothing personal. It's just how he is.

My belief is Vermeil doesn't have a clear understanding of the extent of Holmes' injuries because Holmes hasn't told the Chiefs much. Priest could miss a week of practice and tell Vermeil on Saturday that he can go on Sunday. Or Priest could be out three to four weeks. Anything is a possibility.

Let's don't accuse Vermeil of being dishonest while he tries to figure out what's going on with his enigmatic star.

|Zach|
09-21-2004, 01:13 AM
Good article IMO.

Hammock Parties
09-21-2004, 01:41 AM
Let's don't accuse Vermeil of being dishonest while he tries to figure out what's going on with his enigmatic star.

Nice going, Big Sexy.

go bo
09-21-2004, 02:08 AM
unusually rational and well-written...

big sexy hit a homer with this one...

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 06:42 AM
unusually rational and well-written...

big sexy hit a homer with this one...

Big sexy hit you?

the Talking Can
09-21-2004, 06:45 AM
wow, he wrote an article that actually explained something....I'm going to send him a gallon of his favorite Bacon flavored ice cream as thanks.

AirForceChief
09-21-2004, 07:03 AM
wow, he wrote an article that actually explained something....I'm going to send him a gallon of his favorite Bacon flavored ice cream as thanks.

Just send a can o' lard on dry ice, he won't know the dif...

AirForceChief
09-21-2004, 07:08 AM
"The biggest clue that something was wrong with Priest Holmes on Sunday was when he limped/jogged to the sideline and took his helmet off. When the Chiefs have the football, it's rare for Priest to take his helmet off. He's always ready to play."

More alarming to me was the instance where Priest was walking off the field while Trent was trying to go without a huddle and the ball was snapped with with Priest still on the field. On Sunday I thought it was due to fundamental lapses in concentration by both/either Priest or Trent...today I'm not so sure that Priest was simply unable to hustle off the field.

Baby Lee
09-21-2004, 07:21 AM
Am I off the mark, now that we're 0-2 in voicing my previously unvoiced wonderment at the fact that, when asked about his goals for the season, Priest spoke of breaking longer runs and said NOTHING about the playoffs or Super Bowl, . . . or even contributing to team wins?

penguinz
09-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Excellent grammar you fat bastard.

cdcox
09-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Speculation, but very thoughtful speculation. Good job, Big Sexy.