PDA

View Full Version : 39 year old walk-on receiver to play for USC

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 05:44 PM
The South Carolina Gamecocks, that is. Think the Chiefs will draft him?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1885578

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina coach Lou Holtz wants to give "Pops" a chance. He's waiting on the NCAA to agree.

Holtz said Monday 39-year-old walk-on receiver Tim Frisby, nicknamed "Pops," will get to play for South Carolina this season once his eligibility is approved by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

South Carolina athletic spokesman Kerry Tharp said the review of Frisby's academic work is standard and the school expects no problems.

Frisby recently retired from the U.S. Army, where he was a Ranger-qualified military man with the 82nd Airborne. He served in Desert Storm and during the Kosovo conflict. He joined the Gamecocks during winter workouts and was invited back with the club after fall camp.

Frisby got to dress with the team for the Georgia game on Sept. 11 but did not play.

Tharp said there was no clearinghouse when Frisby finished playing at Allentown Catholic High in the mid-1980s.

"There wasn't even college boards when he graduated," the 67-year-old Holtz quipped. "He's back in my era. College boards, I thought that was back at the carpenter shop."

Frazod
09-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Wait... I've seen this movie.

I thought the old dude was quarterback, tho.

Or a pitcher.

Good luck to the old guy, though.

Old - hell, he's my age. :(

Big Chief Homer
09-21-2004, 05:54 PM
hes got oakland raiders writin' all over him.

Skip Towne
09-21-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm only 59, where do I sign up?

Bowser
09-21-2004, 05:58 PM
He could be older than some of the guys' dads that he will play against! Wierd.....

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 06:00 PM
I'm only 59, where do I sign up?
KU could use a placekicker.

chief52
09-21-2004, 06:14 PM
ESPN did a piece on him before the Georgia game. The guy is a class act. The players seemed to look up to him as well. He said he does not want to go through life saying " Maybe I could have..."

Coach
09-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Wait... I've seen this movie.

I thought the old dude was quarterback, tho.

The movie is Unnecessary Roughness, starring Scott Bakula and Hector Elizondo I believe.

Miles
09-21-2004, 06:23 PM
The movie is Unnecessary Roughness, starring Scott Bakula and Hector Elizondo I believe.

Dont leave off the great Sinbad ;)

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 06:25 PM
NECESSARY Roughness!

Coach
09-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Dont leave off the great Sinbad ;)

Ah yes, the big bad Sinbad.

I thought it was a great movie. Who was that old coach. Not the head coach, but the other guy? His name escapes me as of this moment. He was seen during NFL PrimeTime where he went off at Michael Irvin. Hillarious stuff. ROFL

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 06:30 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs select Tim Frisby.........

Carl Peterson was quoted as saying we needed a wide receiver because johnny johnson was aging.

Skip Towne
09-21-2004, 06:36 PM
KU could use a placekicker.
KU fired Beck today. But they already got a guy named Webb.

Saulbadguy
09-21-2004, 06:39 PM
KU fired Beck today. But they already got a guy named Webb.
I saw that. He "kicked" himself out of the starting job.

Saturdays game vs TTU should be an exciting one. If they both play to their strengths, it could be a 65-63 victory, for either team.

Miles
09-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Ah yes, the big bad Sinbad.

I thought it was a great movie. Who was that old coach. Not the head coach, but the other guy? His name escapes me as of this moment. He was seen during NFL PrimeTime where he went off at Michael Irvin. Hillarious stuff. ROFL

Yeah its Robert Loggia. Great yeller.

Iowanian
09-21-2004, 06:50 PM
I hope the guy ends up being a great story.

If he is a Ranger and a vet............he deserves a chance at success.

RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!

Skip Towne
09-21-2004, 06:57 PM
The sitcom "Coach" had an episode that was similar. The guy actually played pretty well. In reality though, I don't see how a guy that old could stay with the kids. No matter how well conditioned he is. I'm rooting for him though.

Coach
09-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Yeah its Robert Loggia. Great yeller.

Maybe him and Gun could do that together at the Chiefs D?

Gun could always use some help.
:p

J Diddy
09-21-2004, 06:59 PM
The sitcom "Coach" had an episode that was similar. The guy actually played pretty well. In reality though, I don't see how a guy that old could stay with the kids. No matter how well conditioned he is. I'm rooting for him though.

I remember that show. Played 1 game kicked ass and realized he was too old and hung it up.

:thumb: