PDA

View Full Version : Heresy I know...

Logical
09-22-2004, 11:17 AM
But I think Greg Robinson was doing better last year against the weaker offenses than Gun is with our pathetic talent on D. He is also fielding a pretty top defense with Tejas. :hmmm:

NewChief
09-22-2004, 11:19 AM
But I think Greg Robinson was doing better last year against the weaker offenses than Gun is with our pathetic talent on D. He is also fielding a pretty top defense with Tejas. :hmmm:

Fielding a top D with Texas? Did you see what Arkansas did to the Texas D?

Logical
09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Fielding a top D with Texas? Did you see what Arkansas did to the Texas D?You mean giving up 20 points to a tough Razorbacks team is bad.:shake:

ChiefsFanatic
09-22-2004, 11:26 AM
Quick, someone register rehiregreg-robinson.com

Logical
09-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Quick, someone register rehiregreg-robinson.comROFL no but the point is that Gunther has not improved anything either.

NewChief
09-22-2004, 12:22 PM
You mean giving up 20 points to a tough Razorbacks team is bad.:shake:

Well, I don't know that we're that tough. Most of the fans had written this season off, seeing as we have like one returning starter (the QB) from the year before.

However, the Razorbacks do always play tough against Texas, so we got some bonus points for that. We'll have a much better idea how tough the Hogs are after this week vs. Alabama.

Watching that game, I wasn't very impressed with Grob's defense, though. The Razorbacks exploited the crap out of them with their mobile QB. It was very much like watching a Chiefs' game from last year.

Brock
09-22-2004, 12:25 PM
R obinson was just a convenient scapegoat, and most people around here were wrong about him.

ptlyon
09-22-2004, 12:28 PM
R obinson was just a convenient scapegoat, and most people around here were wrong about him.

Don't forget, he was a doosh bag too

Iowanian
09-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Never mind that Texas had a top defense last year and one of the, if not THE top LB in college football.....all recruited and successful before Robinson arrived at Tejas.

Gunther's Defense looks more effective to me so far. They held Carolina to what I thought was respectable YPC other than the long run. They are however, giving up the same types of plays........3rd and Long, 1-2 long runs per game..........Not enough sacks.

ROYC75
09-22-2004, 12:30 PM
ROFL no but the point is that Gunther has not improved anything either.

It's only been 2 games....... still time to prove it beyond the shadow of doubt. I see some area of improvement while other areas lack talent to compete.

2 games doesn't make a season .

philfree
09-22-2004, 12:35 PM
I blame this years D breakdowns on GRob. The scars left on the minds of our D players are deep and even Gunther can't heal them by week two of the regular season.

PhilFree :arrow:

stevieray
09-22-2004, 12:55 PM
He was the built in excuse for failing.. Let's not create another one.

Saulbadguy
09-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Remember, he is CO-Defensive coordinator.

SECTION11
09-22-2004, 02:16 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

htismaqe
09-22-2004, 03:31 PM
I remember being the lone voice here last year saying "Robinson had top-ranked defenses in Denver. The difference is that he had TALENT there."

Where were you then, Vladdie? :thumb:

Rick
09-22-2004, 03:44 PM
Gunther's style is a much better style. I do believe the defense will improve, but what about the offense? Our PASS defense isn't exactly great. What good does it do to get so many negative rushing stops on defense if they complete a 3rd and 8-12 yards and have no defender challenge the catch? We tackle them great once they've caught it.

ChiefsCountry
09-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Our defense looks better, they just cant tackle.

David.
09-22-2004, 04:26 PM
I can't take it anymore...................http://forums.breakthetrend.com/images/smilies/suicide.gif

tk13
09-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Yeah, last year's defense was so awesome. I know nothing gets my blood flowing like getting torched by Rick Mirer and Shawn Bryson... nobody remembers that stuff though because we could score 8 zillion points to make up for it.

Ultra Peanut
09-22-2004, 04:47 PM
2 games into the season, and it's already been declared from on high that G-Knob did a better job than Gunther.

God, I love the Planet.

David.
09-22-2004, 04:48 PM
2 games into the season, and it's already been declared from on high that G-Knob did a better job than Gunther.

God, I love the Planet.

easily the most comical place on the 'net

Logical
09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
I remember being the lone voice here last year saying "Robinson had top-ranked defenses in Denver. The difference is that he had TALENT there."

Where were you then, Vladdie? :thumb:
Truthfully I still don't like the BDB scheme even if you have the talent. So I am still glad he is gone. I just think this makes it clear as you have been saying and as I have all offseason we need more talent on the defense. More at WR as well and I think Tait's loss is bigger than people are willing to admit on offense.

Anyone paying attention to how well Thomas Jones has been doing in Chicago with Tait on their o-line?

KC Jones
09-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Heresy?

No, just complete unbounded and sheer stupidity. You can't even begin the comparison of 3 years of Grob after two games of Gunther.

If you wanted for some bizare reason you'd probably want to compare the games at Denver this year to last - apparently our defense is 11 points better this year.

As for the Carolina game, there were a number of great 3rd down conversion passes Delhomme got off just before getting knocked on his ass. We've had a lot more pressure on the QB and a lot more tackles for losses so far this year than in previous.

Playing at Denver and hosting the reigning NFC champion don't even come close to hosting the absolute bottom of the league Chargers and Steelers that we started out against last year. You just can't straight up compare the results.

Demonpenz
09-22-2004, 04:58 PM
I remember the confusion Grob would make, i mean since we didn't have the talent i loved how he used his tomfoolery to atleast give our O a chance. Good times 13-3

David.
09-22-2004, 05:00 PM
yeah, he let the defense LET the other offenses score so our Offense would have the ball. Genius really

Ultra Peanut
09-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Just for the sake of discussion...

Points allowed in first two weeks, 2003: 34 (4-12 San Diego & 6-10 Pittsburgh)
Points allowed to last two playoff opponents, 2003: 83 (10-6 Denver, 12-4 Indianapolis)
Points allowed in first two weeks, 2004: 62 (Denver & Carolina)

And since we're slangin'...

Points scored in first two weeks, 2003: 68 (4-12 San Diego & 6-10 Pittsburgh)
Points scored against last two playoff opponents, 2003: 58 (10-6 Denver, 12-4 Indianapolis)
Points scored in first two weeks, 2004: 41 (Denver & Carolina)

tk13
09-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Anyone paying attention to how well Thomas Jones has been doing in Chicago with Tait on their o-line?

ROFL You really just wanna see this team fail, don't you? It's one thing to criticize front office moves, I understand that... but then you turn around and prop up every player and coach that got away as the best.

For the record, I don't know as a whole how Tait's done, but in a couple plays I've seen in flipping through the Bears games the last two weeks, I've seen Tait get called for holding and get burned by R-Kal Truluck... he hasn't quite been perfect.

David.
09-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Vlad is a donk fan. I'm almost positive.

Ultra Peanut
09-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Vlad is a donk fan. I'm almost positive.Why do you think I've been calling him Taco Jim?

David.
09-22-2004, 05:07 PM
Why do you think I've been calling him Taco Jim?

I thought he was an ardent lover of Mexican food.

Is ardent even the right word?

Otter
09-22-2004, 05:08 PM
What KC Jones said.

Come on Jim.

Logical
09-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Heresy?

No, just complete unbounded and sheer stupidity. You can't even begin the comparison of 3 years of Grob after two games of Gunther.

If you wanted for some bizare reason you'd probably want to compare the games at Denver this year to last - apparently our defense is 11 points better this year.

As for the Carolina game, there were a number of great 3rd down conversion passes Delhomme got off just before getting knocked on his ass. We've had a lot more pressure on the QB and a lot more tackles for losses so far this year than in previous.

Playing at Denver and hosting the reigning NFC champion don't even come close to hosting the absolute bottom of the league Chargers and Steelers that we started out against last year. You just can't straight up compare the results.
If we were comparing offensive results for the Chiefs you would be correct.

If were were talking Denver with Portis, and Sharpe you would be correct.

As it is we are talking two talent poor offensive teams dominating our defense.

A comparison to Buffalo, Cleveland and Baltimore's ability to move on our defense is indeed appropriate. Grob's defense was doing better.

KC Jones
09-22-2004, 05:14 PM
If we were comparing offensive results for the Chiefs you would be correct.

If were were talking Denver with Portis, and Sharpe you would be correct.

As it is we are talking two talent poor offensive teams dominating our defense.

A comparison to Buffalo, Cleveland and Baltimore's ability to move on our defense is indeed appropriate. Grob's defense was doing better.

Let's just see where the defense ranks at the end of the year. Frankly, I think you're an idiot for even trying to make the comparison after only two games.

memyselfI
09-22-2004, 05:14 PM
I was wondering when someone would finally start realizing Robinson was a scapegoat... :thumb:

Logical
09-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Let's just see where the defense ranks at the end of the year. Frankly, I think you're an idiot for even trying to make the comparison after only two games.

Versus just being an idiot. I have measured the source and found it supercillious.:p

ChiefsFanatic
09-22-2004, 08:00 PM
ROFL no but the point is that Gunther has not improved anything either.

Well, last year the D started strong but finished poorly. Maybe this year we will finish strong instead.

Hammock Parties
09-22-2004, 08:17 PM
You have to look at the teams we are playing, Vlad.

The Broncos are a very good offensive team, and we actually did hold them to fewer points allowed than Robinson did at Mile High.

Carolina was missing two of their top threats but still had plenty of talent on O. And the D held them to 14 points through the first three quarters or so. If the O had been anywhere near its top form against the Panthers we probably win 35-17.

Gunther showed me his defense was better than Robinson's in the first half of the Carolina game, when we allowed only 2.7 yards per rush. We're also getting more pressure on the QB.

jayhawktx
09-22-2004, 09:07 PM
I think the defense is so screwed up now, it will take wholesale changes and several years to straighten it out. Anything less than a great performance by the offense will result in a loss.

Skip Towne
09-22-2004, 09:20 PM
I thought he was an ardent lover of Mexican food.

Is ardent even the right word?
See there, I knew it would happen. The young guys are actually funny. I think it is because I brought them along slowly. Good job, guys!!!

David.
09-22-2004, 09:30 PM
See there, I knew it would happen. The young guys are actually funny. I think it is because I brought them along slowly. Good job, guys!!!

pft, I came out funny. Like haha funny. Not "gay" funny like you came out :)

David.
09-22-2004, 09:31 PM
and...not funny looking either.

David.
covering all bases :huh:

Bob Dole
09-22-2004, 09:38 PM
I was wondering when someone would finally start realizing Robinson was a scapegoat... :thumb:

Just because he's gone and we're still struggling, does not mean that he didn't/doesn't suck.