View Full Version : Oh no, Deion may be out

whoman69
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Too bad he didn't break his jaw.

Time out? Sanders questionable for Sunday
Story Tools: Print Email
David Ginsburg / Associated Press
Posted: 56 minutes ago

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) - Deion Sanders hopes to play for the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, even though he knows it might be prudent to rest his strained left hamstring.

Playing in his second game following a three-year retirement, Sanders hurt his leg last Sunday in the second quarter of Baltimore's 30-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was removed after running stride for stride with Plaxico Burress on a long pass play.
Sanders was held out of a portion of Wednesday's practice and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game in Cincinnati, meaning there's a 50 percent chance he will see action.

"I'm feeling pretty good," he said before practice. "I'm not a gambling man, but I'm going to try to do my best to be there for my teammates."

Within reason, anyway. Sanders, 37, isn't about to press himself into action for an early-season game if it could lessen his odds of being available in January.

"This is a marathon. This is not a sprint," he said. "I think you guys want me in there for the finale, not just for a 40-yard dash."

Asked his opinion of Sanders' readiness for Sunday, Baltimore coach Brian Billick replied with a grin, "When you're 50 years old, you're going to be questionable every week. When you're that old and played this long, questionable is pretty good."

Sanders participated in only eight plays against Pittsburgh, including a 23-yard punt return that left him with tightness in his hamstring. He said the injury was aggravated while covering Burress on a pass that fell incomplete.

Bengals receiver Chad Johnson is eager to go up against Sanders, saying, "Now I can show everybody, not just Cincinnati, what my game is by going against the best."

Sanders called Johnson "one of the top three receivers in the game," but laughed at the concept of being challenged by someone he considers to be his friend.

"That's every week man," Sanders said. "It doesn't start in the darn game. It starts in practice. It's like that. I get the best out of everybody because everyone wants to put my head in their trophy case."

Sanders loves those kind of confrontations, which is one reason why he's found his job as a nickel back to be so frustrating. Because he's used only in obvious passing situations, he spends most of his time on the sideline.

"I'm just giving people an appetizer of what could be," he said. "It's tough in this role. You may play one play and then sit down for 15-20 minutes, then you play another and sit for maybe 12 minutes."

He would love the opportunity to see any kind of action Sunday, but there's a good chance that won't happen.

"He means a lot to the defense, but the hamstring is one of the toughest injuries to get over," Ravens cornerback Gary Baxter said. "If you can't run as a cornerback I don't think you should be out there. But I know for a fact that if he's not out there, Ray Walls will do a great job of filling the spot."

Walls, signed as a free agent in August, is eager for the chance.

"Those are some big shoes to fill," Walls said, "but it feels good to back up any of those guys back there."

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3030956

Ultra Peanut
09-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Deion "Midafternoon Soap Opera" Sanders ROFL

More like Deion "Saturday Morning Infomercial" Sanders.

Spicy McHaggis
09-22-2004, 06:48 PM
"That's every week man," Sanders said. "It doesn't start in the darn game. It starts in practice. It's like that. I get the best out of everybody because everyone wants to put my head in their trophy case."

I'm not sure anyone wants to be anywhere near your head Deion after it's been up your ass so long.