PDA

View Full Version : OT...Any HR types on the board?

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I have an issue and would really like to talk with someone in the know.

Thanks.

David.
09-22-2004, 03:54 PM
hr? what's that? homorific?

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Boss pinching your ass again?

Seriously, I’m getting the shaft and I’m not sure it’s legal.

Can you be fired if you don’t get at least a 2 on a scale of 1-4? 3 being a person that does exactly what he is supposed to do.

KC Jones
09-22-2004, 04:09 PM

Can you be fired if you don’t get at least a 2 on a scale of 1-4? 3 being a person that does exactly what he is supposed to do.

You can be fired even if you get 4's across the board.

jiveturkey
09-22-2004, 04:11 PM

Can you be fired if you don’t get at least a 2 on a scale of 1-4? 3 being a person that does exactly what he is supposed to do.If you're the only one that gets fired for having a 2 then you might have a case.

I would also think that you would have to have multiple 2's to get fired not just one.

Demonpenz
09-22-2004, 04:13 PM
if you would bring the chips and salsa out on time...

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm sorry I should have explained that a 1 is jesus walking on water and a two is mosis "sp" parting the red sea.

Demonpenz
09-22-2004, 04:14 PM
probably matters if it's in a free work state

KC Jones
09-22-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry I should have explained that a 1 is jesus walking on water and a two is mosis "sp" parting the red sea.

Then I should have said that you can be fired even if you got 1's across the board. Performance reviews are in most cases total BS and do not prevent you from getting canned.

go bo
09-22-2004, 04:42 PM
My personal favorite was the time my manager and I sat down and set all the goals the same day I was being evaluated on them.

"Well.... your goal for the past year in this area was to do this. You didn't achieve that."

"Well, know that I know the measurables I need to reach, allow me to jump in my magical f*cking time machine, go back one year, and get right on top of that."well, you should have had the foresight to guess what your goals were going to become...

or you could have used your time machine before you got in that mess...

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
I might also add the reason for an average rating would be.

1. My only sick day this year I let everyone know I wouldn’t be in, updated our time system, but forgot two make an entry into the managers calendar.
2. I was asked to setup a piece of equipment that required said manager to order an account. Manger said account was being setup and she didn’t do it, but I didn’t remind her for a week so I’m wrong. Let me also mention that it is not my responsibility for any of it. Oh, let me not forget to mention that a team lead had also said she was working on it and they would let me know when it came in.

I will be offered a severance package that if I don’t take it. I’ll be rated a 3 at the end of the year and shown the door.

Demonpenz
09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
isn't missouri a free work state? They can fire you for anything but race creed etc.... So if they fire you they are better off given no reason than a reason.

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 04:55 PM
isn't missouri a free work state? They can fire you for anything but race creed etc.... So if they fire you they are better off given no reason than a reason.

I work in Kansas.

KC Jones
09-22-2004, 05:02 PM
I might also add the reason for an average rating would be.

1. My only sick day this year I let everyone know I wouldn’t be in, updated our time system, but forgot two make an entry into the managers calendar.
2. I was asked to setup a piece of equipment that required said manager to order an account. Manger said account was being setup and she didn’t do it, but I didn’t remind her for a week so I’m wrong. Let me also mention that it is not my responsibility for any of it. Oh, let me not forget to mention that a team lead had also said she was working on it and they would let me know when it came in.

I will be offered a severance package that if I don’t take it. I’ll be rated a 3 at the end of the year and shown the door.

If I were you, I'd contact a lawyer and bargain for a better severance package or just take what they are offering. At this point I really don't think you're keeping your job - and who would want to stay somewhere that they are looking for an excuse to fire you.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and hopefully something better is right aroung the corner.

Brando
09-22-2004, 06:34 PM
I will be offered a severance package

Point out the companies dirty laundry and allude to the fact that you will have very loose lips to certain newspapers if your severance is not high enough.

Boozer
09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Unless you have an employment contract (for a set time or for the completion of a project), you're probably fooked.

Inspector
09-22-2004, 07:36 PM
All of my employees are union. Takes a lot to fire any of them.

We also pay them when their sick. So, with the FMLA, they can sit at home for 12 weeks a year and get a paycheck. And most of them get 6 weeks of vacation on top of that too.

(No wonder we are getting ready to layoff a whole bunch more...)

You may want to get a hold of the national labor relations board - or speak with an attorney.

May not do ya any good though..Whatever happens, good luck!

Brando
09-22-2004, 07:38 PM

We also pay them when their sick. So, with the FMLA, they can sit at home for 12 weeks a year and get a paycheck. And most of them get 6 weeks of vacation on top of that too.

You may want to get a hold of the national labor relations board - or speak with an attorney.

Where do you work inspector? They hiring?
I used to work for Verizon in NY as a CWA member.
I miss the benefits of my old job. Paid benefits, better vacation, annual raises.
I hear you on the FMLA part though...some people take a good thing too far.

KcMizzou
09-22-2004, 07:40 PM

Geez, I'm a teamster and we don't get sick time at all. And it takes 10 years to get 3 weeks of vacation.

Inspector
09-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Where do you work inspector? They hiring?
I used to work for Verizon in NY as a CWA member.
I miss the benefits of my old job. Paid benefits, better vacation, annual raises.
I hear you on the FMLA part though...some people take a good thing too far.

Same union...

Same industry, except we started the whole telephone deal many decades ago.

Is that enough clue? Or should I add a "&" to help?

Braincase
09-22-2004, 07:44 PM
It's been my experience that companies will tell you what a great job you're doing, you're indispensible, we couldn't do without you, wj=hile shoving a lit stick of dynamite up your ass.

Iowanian
09-22-2004, 07:46 PM
R&G.....

How much Cool Stuff, that will sell for good money can you load in your truck between now, and the day the Severence package is set?

Don't forget "Format C"

Inspector
09-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Geez, I'm a teamster and we don't get sick time at all. And it takes 10 years to get 3 weeks of vacation.

They get sick pay (full) for up to a year. Most of my people have about 30 + years, so lots of vacation time.

They get 1 week after 6 months.
2 weeks after 1 year.
3 weeks after 7 years
4 weeks after 15 years
5 weeks after 25 years.

Plus 6 other personal days to boot after the first 6 months.

And they just cut our benefits and retirement is looking shaky - but I'm in management, so WTF....

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 07:48 PM

I work for a very large company, and current policy is no one gets hired full time anymore, everything is going to part time employees that don’t get benefits, and can only work so many hours a year. I’m afraid I’m caught in the middle of it.

Brando
09-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Same union...

Same industry, except we started the whole telephone deal many decades ago.

Is that enough clue? Or should I add a "&" to help?

B-I-N-G-O

Got cha...well if you ever need someone with experience that busts their hump hollar at me.
I know you've got to probably do that whole aptitude test thing.

KcMizzou
09-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Most of my people have about 30 + years

I don't doubt it. I wouldn't wanna leave that job either.

Iowanian
09-22-2004, 07:52 PM
PS.....Unions have caused 2 plants in my area to close this year.

Unreasonable expectations, salaries, benefits....and threats to strike for more.

Inspector
09-22-2004, 07:56 PM
I work for a very large company, and current policy is no one gets hired full time anymore, everything is going to part time employees that don’t get benefits, and can only work so many hours a year. I’m afraid I’m caught in the middle of it.

Yep, sounds like a typical large company. Probably will figure out a way to send most of your work to India, Pakistan or Korea.

Good luck man. Probably lots of us will be in the same boat eventually.

Skip Towne
09-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Where's Jimmy Hoffa when you need him? Or just where's Jimmy Hoffa?

Inspector
09-22-2004, 07:59 PM
B-I-N-G-O

Got cha...well if you ever need someone with experience that busts their hump hollar at me.
I know you've got to probably do that whole aptitude test thing.

Ya know, they test everything they can - including your pee.

Not looking good around here. We're big time into downsizing and outsourcing. Probably about the same everywhere. Now, if you are willing to move to China or Malaysia, you could probably get on - for about 18 cents an hour.

Good luck in whatever you do!

Inspector
09-22-2004, 08:00 PM

Unreasonable expectations, salaries, benefits....and threats to strike for more.

Yep! My brother is out the door on October 5th - thanks to the union.

I hear ya!

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 08:02 PM

I have to be honest…. I’m not a big fan of Unions. I’m all for keeping the Man from sticking it too the little guy, but sometimes there demands seem ridicules.

If it weren’t for my manager; I’d like my job. Three weeks vacation, full benefits… good stuff. I don’t know for sure if it’s her or upper management that is driving this, but it’s the most pitiful excuse too get rid of someone I can think of. A good lawyer should be able to pick it to peaces.

Bob Dole
09-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Then I should have said that you can be fired even if you got 1's across the board. Performance reviews are in most cases total BS and do not prevent you from getting canned.

While they will not prevent you from getting canned, they can impact your ability to draw unemployment.

Boozer
09-22-2004, 08:18 PM
it’s the most pitiful excuse too get rid of someone I can think of. A good lawyer should be able to pick it to peaces.

Unless you have an employment contract (for a set time or for the completion of a project), you're probably fooked.

There's nothing to pick.

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 08:33 PM

There's nothing to pick.

Are they not bound buy their written policy?

You have to be warned and written up for the same thing. Shown incompetence etc....

This isn’t an issue of what I do on a contract. It’s an issue of doing management’s job for them for a new employee. It wasn’t my job to setup an account that only a manager can do. It’s an excuse.

Boozer
09-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Are they not bound buy their written policy?

You have to be warned and written up for the same thing. Shown incompetence etc....

This isn’t an issue of what I do on a contract. It’s an issue of doing management’s job for them for a new employee. It wasn’t my job to setup an account that only a manager can do. It’s an excuse.

I'm not saying you shouldn't contact an attorney (in fact, don't take anything I'm saying as legal advice!!), but Kansas law is pretty clear on this point: employee manuals are not "good enough" to constitute an employment contract above normal "at-will" employment. If you don't have an employment contract for a set time or project, you're probably an at-will employee. If you're an at-will employee, you're employer can fire you for whatever reason he wants, with very few exceptions (gender, race, etc.).

You could be doing great work, with great performance reviews, and your boss could fire you based on an unfounded suspicion that you have sex with women you're not married to. It doesn't matter.

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm not saying you shouldn't contact an attorney (in fact, don't take anything I'm saying as legal advice!!), but Kansas law is pretty clear on this point: employee manuals are not "good enough" to constitute an employment contract above normal "at-will" employment. If you don't have an employment contract for a set time or project, you're probably an at-will employee. If you're an at-will employee, you're employer can fire you for whatever reason he wants, with very few exceptions (gender, race, etc.).

You could be doing great work, with great performance reviews, and your boss could fire you based on an unfounded suspicion that you have sex with women you're not married to. It doesn't matter.

My Boss is a Woman and hates me.... Good enough?

Bob Dole
09-22-2004, 08:45 PM

If Kansas is a true employment at-will state, they don't even have to give a reason.

"We won't be needing your services any more."

"What? What did I do?"

"We don't need your services any more."

Boozer
09-22-2004, 08:49 PM
My Boss is a Woman and hates me.... Good enough?

Too bad trndobrd's off to Iraq, I'm sure he'd jump for the chance to take that case. ;)

Demonpenz
09-22-2004, 08:49 PM
see my post earlier, i am not as dumb as once thought!, oh wait yes i am

Boozer
09-22-2004, 08:51 PM
If Kansas is a true employment at-will state, they don't even have to give a reason.

"What? What did I do?"

"We don't need your services any more."

The old "good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all" triumvirate. ROFL

go bo
09-22-2004, 08:54 PM

"What? What did I do?"

"We don't need your services any more."that's about the size of it... :)

Bob Dole
09-22-2004, 09:09 PM
that's about the size of it... :)

You can always hope that the person performing the termination has been poorly trained and gets sucked in to feeling bad about the termination and actually offers a reason.

Bob Dole hasn't ever had that problem. But in Bob Dole's case, the employees have always pretty much terminated themselves. Bob Dole only had one instance where he repeated "We no longer need your services" for about 45 minutes.

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 09:13 PM
that's about the size of it... :)

And to think the day started out ok... with a lets talk about the proper way to transfer equipment. Man I'm.... Well, you know. It really sucks when your a single income house. This is terrible.

KcMizzou
09-22-2004, 09:18 PM
And to think the day started out ok... with a lets talk about the proper way to transfer equipment. Man I'm.... Well, you know. It really sucks when your a single income house. This is terrible. Ouch. Now there's something I can relate to. I wish you the best of luck man....

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Ouch. Now there's something I can relate to. I wish you the best of luck man....

Thanks KcM... I think I'm going to need it

Bob Dole
09-22-2004, 09:40 PM
And to think the day started out ok... with a lets talk about the proper way to transfer equipment. Man I'm.... Well, you know. It really sucks when your a single income house. This is terrible.

Bob Dole has been there, and it ain't any fun.

Hopefully you didn't just leave your wife who pulled down triple your income 5 days earlier.

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Bob Dole has been there, and it ain't any fun.

Hopefully you didn't just leave your wife who pulled down triple your income 5 days earlier.

No, I have been providing the income so my wife could stay home and take care of the kids. It’s been a sacrifice all along, but worth it. Now we’re just fooked.

KcMizzou
09-22-2004, 09:48 PM
No, I have been providing the income so my wife could stay home and take care of the kids. It’s been a sacrifice all along, but worth it. Now we’re just fooked. Nah.. you're not. You'll bounce back and be ok, because frankly.. you have no other choice. Wallow in it for a day or two... I know I would. After that, you'll find a way to work things out.

It'll be alright in the end, man.

Bob Dole
09-22-2004, 09:48 PM
No, I have been providing the income so my wife could stay home and take care of the kids. It’s been a sacrifice all along, but worth it. Now we’re just fooked.

Keep the faith, brutha. Somehow, some way, you'll both end up better off from this if you hang in there and work together.

KCWolfman
09-22-2004, 09:58 PM
If you're the only one that gets fired for having a 2 then you might have a case.

I would also think that you would have to have multiple 2's to get fired not just one.
Still not precisely true, Jive. If there is precendent set that your race/sex/religion is the only one fired for having 2's then you have a case.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter if everyone else in the company got 1s and you were the only one with 2s. An at will state company can fire you if they don't like your shoes. They just can't fire you based upon race creed or sexuality.

R&GHomer
09-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks All! I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and get some sleep and go back in tomorrow and get the Ax. Man... for a Woman she sure has balls.

King_Chief_Fan
09-23-2004, 12:48 PM
R&G-
Don't know if your issue has been resolved. I am an HR manager for about 1000 employees. What I thought I read is that you feel you shouldn't be fired when your employee rate you next to top rating.

I sense there is more than a performance issue is driving the termination.
CAre to share more?

R&GHomer
09-23-2004, 01:30 PM
R&G-
Don't know if your issue has been resolved. I am an HR manager for about 1000 employees. What I thought I read is that you feel you shouldn't be fired when your employee rate you next to top rating.

CAre to share more?

Can I send you a smoke signal?

R&GHomer
09-23-2004, 04:34 PM
R&G-

CAre to share more?

Yes, you’re right. This woman just seems to have it in for me. Thing is, I don’t even work with the lady. I see or hear from her about 4 maybe 5 times a year. I’m assigned to a long term IT outsourcing contract and actually report to an entirely different division on a daily basis. They couldn’t be happier with my day to day work performance. Not one and I mean not one complaint, Ever. In fact they just keep giving me more and more responsibilities.

I have had two problems with her this year.

1. First of the year I took a sick day. I let everyone know, including her; that I would not be in. I updated the pay system to reflect the sick day, but I forgot to update her calendar. She sent me an email asking if I forgot too do something and “bling” the light goes off and I update her calendar. Next thing I know, she is writing me up for it.

2. A new employee was assigned to help me and she requested I give him my comm. System and configure it for him. I set everything up, except he still needed an account on one system. She told the two of us that it was ordered and it would be in shortly. After 3 days, the new guy was working with a team lead that “works for our manager” trying to get his laptop setup. He asks her if the comm. Account has came in and she said they are still waiting on it, but she will let us know when it comes in so I can help him get it setup. 3 days later I look into the system and still don’t see him, “understand this has no bearing on his ability to do his job”. I call the comm. Help desk and find out that he isn’t in the system because a request form had not been submitted. I call and leave her a voice mail letting her know and I get in all this trouble because I didn’t call her sooner. Thing is, she fugged up and she is trying to make it my fault.

Not only that, but how in the hell can she base a performance review on 1 / 100000000 of what I do in a year?

Inspector
09-23-2004, 05:42 PM
If / when she can's you, tell her that you know it's because you refused her sexual advancments.

"Just because I don't want to have sex with you is no reason to fire me!!"

Brando
09-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Dude...she just sounds like a rotten biatch. I would go over her head and have a casual conversation with her boss.
Let them know that you feel like she has it in for you because of her actions.
See how they feel about you. If enough people are bringing her behavior to their attention then she might be the one packing.
You might also ask her to talk. Tell her that you feel like she doesn't value you as an employee and doesn't want you there.
Tell her that you take your job performance very seriously and that if you aren't performing up to her liking you would like some criticism.
She might not realize that she's messing with you as bad as she is. Some people are just oblivious and @ssholes.