PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: There is hope

FloridaChief
09-23-2004, 01:12 AM
There is hope

Chiefs' defense has improved, really

Dick Vermeil's weekly prayer session, news conference and Optimist's Club meeting began this week with a surprising statistic. Vermeil pointed out that 18 times in the first two games, his defense has stuffed a running back behind the line of scrimmage.

That's the most in the NFL, he said. The Chiefs had only 43 tackles behind the line all of last year, he added.

Now at first, that statistic seems to be one of those weird glitches you see in sports sometimes, like when a lousy relief pitcher has a low ERA because he's always giving up other pitchers' runs. After all, what could it really mean? The Chiefs, with all those negative runs, have still given up 100 more yards rushing than any team in the conference. They are on pace to give up an impossible-to-believe 3,000 yards rushing.

Who cares about negative rushes when you're getting run over?

Well, there might be reason to care. This really might mean something if you are one of those dazed Chiefs fans looking desperately for silver linings and reasons to hope. Yes, the team is 0-2. Yes, the Chiefs' defense looks as troubled as last year, it gives up as many big runs, it misses as many tackles and all that.

At the moment, this defense is playing no better than last year.

Here's the deal, though: You can see this is not last year's defense. This is not Greg Robinson's shifting, retreating, confused defense. No, new defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham has most definitely installed something new here. He has his linebackers attacking the line of scrimmage. He has challenged his defensive linemen to take up blocks and beat the offensive linemen in front of them. He has his safeties flying up to the line in an effort to stuff the running back.

Now, so far, none of this has made the Chiefs play any better. But it's not right to say, as you hear so many people say, that “This is the same defense.” It really isn't the same. Cunningham's defense is much more aggressive, the players attack the line, they make many more big plays. It's trendy right now, with things looking bad, to offer apologies and roses to Greg Robinson, who had to resign after last year's defensive debacle.

But anyone who is really watching can see that this defense is much tougher and much more aggressive than Robinson's defense ever was in Kansas City.

“If you look at the films — which I don't much — you can see we're in position to make plays,” defensive tackle Ryan Sims said after Sunday's game.

OK, it's probably not a great sign that Sims doesn't watch film — not sure what that's all about — but his main point was right: Cunningham's defense has players very often in the right place. Cunningham has, as he promised, instilled an aggressiveness that was very clearly gone. You sometimes see four or five Chiefs hit a running back. You sometimes see a linebacker or lineman rush through and blow up a play in the backfield. You didn't see this stuff much the last two years.

That's something, anyway.

Now, of course, the question is, “Are the Chiefs defenders good enough to actually stop anyone?” So far they have not been. There have been more breakdowns than a James Brown concert. A linebacker fills the wrong gap. A safety takes a bad angle and doesn't reach the hole in time. Somebody misses a tackle. Somebody gets faked out. The Chiefs have given up 13 runs of 10 yards or more. Vermeil didn't say if that's the most in the NFL too, but I'm guessing yes.

I'm also guessing that this defense might just get a little better. Sure, right now everybody's down. It's hard to see good things when a team is winless and giving up more rushing yards than any other team in the NFL and also the best player has a sprained ankle and also a starting cornerback won't just pay to get a town car to drive him around after a game.

But, hey, the Chiefs have only been playing this Cunningham defense for two weeks, and they have shown a few signs of coming together (Hey, look, 18 tackles behind the line of scrimmage!). Cunningham understands that when you do not have great talent on defense — and it's pretty clear the Chiefs do not — you have to attack as a group. You have to make some big plays. You have to force some penalties. You have to make the saving tackle.

No, the Chiefs are not there yet. They're not close to there yet. There is no guarantee that they will get there. But there are some decent signs. Which is more than you can say about the offense at the moment.

Demonpenz
09-23-2004, 01:13 AM
correction, there is hope in 06

FloridaChief
09-23-2004, 01:18 AM
“If you look at the films — which I don't much — you can see we're in position to make plays,” defensive tackle Ryan Sims said after Sunday's game.

That's an odd quote. I wonder how it's gonna go over in the locker room tomorrow.

el borracho
09-23-2004, 01:22 AM
As I said on another thread, I like our DTs this year and Fujita and the secondary are (for the most part) playing well. What we need now is for the other linebackers to figure it all out and for someone (Wilkerson, Allen, ???) to step up at the DE position.

Frazod
09-23-2004, 02:00 AM
As I said on other threads, I really do think the defense is better than last year.

The problem is the offense has F#CKING VANISHED. What are we for the season for converting first downs - 10 out of 60? Hell, it seems like it. It would take a superior defense to counteract that - not one taking the first baby steps out of utter wretchedness.

Hammock Parties
09-23-2004, 02:08 AM
7 for 25.

If you noticed, the offense had its best half in the first half of the Panther game. Almost 200 yards of offense. It's no coincidence that was also the defenses best half of football.

Gaz
09-23-2004, 05:54 AM
The Defense is improved and improving, but it still has a long way to go. And, given the talent level at DE, LB & CB, the ceiling is too low to be a dominating Defense. If the O ever decides to show up for a game, the Defense can force a punt or two and we would have the makings of a W.

No, this is not the same Defense. That is clear. However, this Defense is just about as effective as the old Defense right now. That will change. But it will change slowly as our LBs stop over-pursuing and everyone rediscovers the magic of “The Tackle.”

Yes, it is frustrating, but you knew there would be a learning curve going from Robinson to Gunther.

Still, it is nice to see the DLinemen running toward the pencil neck for a change, ennit?

xoxo~
Gaz
Likes the negative yardage stops.

Rain Man
09-23-2004, 07:18 AM
My observations:

1. Would someone get Sims into the film room? Sheesh. Get a clue, dude.

2. Even if the defense hasn't improved statistically, I still feel better about them than last year. They're at least not just rolling over and giving up by design.

3. We have a positive statistic! We have a positive statistic!

Hammock Parties
09-23-2004, 07:19 AM
I don't think defensive tackles need to watch much film. They just need to maul the guy in front of them.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-23-2004, 07:37 AM
Dick Vermeil's weekly prayer session, news conference and Optimist's Club meeting
ROFL

nice.

the Talking Can
09-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Now I know why Sims sucks.

Lzen
09-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Sims, you lazy bastard!!! Get your ass into the film room!! :cuss: You held out and got a big, fat contract. Now go do some things to earn that money.

Oh, and I think the article is right on. This isn't the same defense, Knobinson still sucks, and we will be much better by the end of the season this year. Not much worse like at the end of last year.

Gaz
09-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Lzen hit the critical point, IMO.

Robinson’s Defense was considerably worse at the end of the season than at the beginning [a fact many people pointed to when bashing him as DC]. I do not believe that will happen this season.

xoxo~
Gaz
Confident that the D will continue to improve.

Coach
09-23-2004, 08:27 AM
- The Browning, Dalton, Sims, Hicks lineup looked incredible.

- More with the Dline...Siavii and Allen both looked good when they're in there together though I'd Like for Allen to show more consistency vs the run and his resposibilities on that backside. Siavii is a manchild...He simply cannot be handled 1-on-1 and requires constant doubleteaming. If we use him there WITH Sims more often then we 'll have better success with the Dline.

- The Negative stops vs the run. The guys who are saying the defense was totally horrible in the last game obviously didn't watch the game. We had lots of stops in the Panthers backfield primarily as a result of good penetration by Dalton and Sims. Yes, I know Deshaun Foster had 32 carries for 174 yds...but his longest run was for 71. So without that run..Foster has 31 carries for 103yds ..a 3.3 avg. If we can just elminate that ONE damn breakdown...our rush defense will be pretty good.

- More on the defense...we also appiled alot of pressure on Delhomme and got some hits on him. Last yr we'd would have gotten nowhere near Delhomme and he would have all day to throw...he didn't have that sort of time until the 2nd half when the defense was worn out.

-2 ints and 1 forced fumble and 1 defensive td...can't argue with that...especially when the fumble was a result of Browining sacking Delhomme. Too bad we didn't recover. ...damn Beisel kicked the ball about 10 yds into the Panther backfield. I know he likely didn't see it but damn.

Improving? Slowly, but surely. Give it some time.

FringeNC
09-23-2004, 08:39 AM
That's an odd quote. I wonder how it's gonna go over in the locker room tomorrow.

That's what stuck out at me, too. Perhaps Ryan should be looking at film a little more, and eating and rapping a little less.

WarCry!
09-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Lzen hit the critical point, IMO.

Robinson’s Defense was considerably worse at the end of the season than at the beginning [a fact many people pointed to when bashing him as DC]. I do not believe that will happen this season.

xoxo~
Gaz
Confident that the D will continue to improve.

True, true - but only because it would be really hard to be much worse than they are right now..... :(

Gaz
09-23-2004, 08:47 AM
True, true - but only because it would be really hard to be much worse than they are right now..... :(

Why you wanna taunt the Football Gods like that?

Rule #1 when things get bad: Things can ALWAYS get worse.

xoxo~
Gaz
Will have to sacrifice a virgin to the Football Gods now.

Lzen
09-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Will have to sacrifice a virgin to the Football Gods now.

Heh, I doubt you'll find one around here. Oh.....wait.......where's Slayer?

journeyscarab
09-23-2004, 09:01 AM
"Paging Mr Sims to the Projection room, Mr. Sims, please return to the Projection room."

What the fric-frac!!!!!

The films should be cut down to all the embarrasing missed tackles, one-arm drive bys, standing around while a play breaks down ,etc.

And Gun needs to leave the booth and get on the field.

yakkyakk
09-23-2004, 09:05 AM
390 yards a game and 31 points a game and the defense has improved??? Carl's a pimp!!!!

PastorMikH
09-23-2004, 09:13 AM
20 years from now when Sims is a wannabe/neverwas he'll look back at his career and become motivated to tell the rookies coming in the work their tails off or they'll end up just like him.

Man, there's a lot of guys that watch film on their own - without the coaches showing it for them. I wonder if Sims could learn a little bit about what kind of tactics Pitts, McKinney, and Wiegert will try to use against him this week by watching some films of former games?

Sims = Lazy.

Coach
09-23-2004, 10:04 AM
20 years from now when Sims is a wannabe/neverwas he'll look back at his career and become motivated to tell the rookies coming in the work their tails off or they'll end up just like him.

Man, there's a lot of guys that watch film on their own - without the coaches showing it for them. I wonder if Sims could learn a little bit about what kind of tactics Pitts, McKinney, and Wiegert will try to use against him this week by watching some films of former games?

Sims = Lazy.

Well, there are other players that has happened to them. Dalton (when he was getting the big bucks), McGlockton, Dan Williams...

Just a few names I can throw out of here from the top of my head.

the Talking Can
09-23-2004, 10:11 AM
390 yards a game and 31 points a game and the defense has improved??? Carl's a pimp!!!!

a pimp and a hypnotist, apparently....people are still using the "if we could just stop the 70 yard runs for TDs" excuse.....never mind we faced 2 mediocre to lame offenses, with their stars all injured and retired, rookies and scrubs on their OLs, and home field "advantage" for one game

Chiefnj
09-23-2004, 10:33 AM
The defense should get better as time goes on, but I don't see it as getting much better. Most people are in agreement that Gun called a good game, the players just didn't execute. How is that the players are suddenly going to learn how to tackle if they haven't already after being in the league for 4 or 5 years?

Warrior5
09-23-2004, 10:39 AM
the CBS Sportsline experts unanimously pick the Exans to win Sunday.

Chiefs will win for sure now.

donkhater
09-23-2004, 10:56 AM
the CBS Sportsline experts unanimously pick the Exans to win Sunday.

Chiefs will win for sure now.
To be fair to the 'experts' at CBS, they are picking against the spread. KC giving 9.5 points to ANY team after the way they've looked is mindboggling.

I'd be picking Houston to cover that spread.

bogie
09-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Now I know why Sims sucks.
Give him a break, maybe he hasn't figured out where the play button is. :banghead:

Hammock Parties
09-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Give him a break, maybe he hasn't figured out where the play button is. :banghead:

Sims is doubled on almost every snap. It's because of HIM that any of our other defensive linemen are able to do anything at all. After last week's game Lional Dalton might start seeing some double teams. That will free up Sims.

InChiefsHeaven
09-23-2004, 11:10 AM
BTW JBret:

It looks to me like Gun is actually saying "F*cking F*ck!"
in your pic....which is a classic BTW...