PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Chief Weakness - 3rd and long

tk13
09-24-2004, 01:16 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/9744113.htm

Chief weakness: third and long

Defense can't stop it; offense can't convert

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Defensive teams normally live to get their opponents in third-and-long situations.

The exception is this year's Chiefs. Those plays are killing them.

Opponents have eventually scored on each drive when the Chiefs allowed a third-down conversion. That, combined with their offense's inability to convert in similar situations, is the biggest reason the Chiefs are 0-2 heading into Sunday's game against Houston at Arrowhead Stadium.

The problems on offense are easier to understand given that the Chiefs are frequently finding themselves facing third and long. Those can be difficult plays to convert because the running game and many higher-percentage passes aren't much of a threat.

But those are the exact situations when the Chiefs are failing defensively. Ten of the 11 third-down conversions allowed by the Chiefs have come when the opponent needed 6 yards or more.

Gunther Cunningham's defenses once manhandled opponents in such situations.

“The part they don't understand yet is what you do when you have the chalk in your hand, which is third down and long yardage,” said Cunningham, the Chiefs' defensive coordinator. “You have to finish them off.”

The Texans also have third-down issues on defense. They allowed their opponents to convert a league-worst 57.7 percent of their third downs, a statistic that explains their 0-2 start as well as any.

“We have to be able to get off the field,” defensive end Gary Walker said after last week's loss to Detroit. “It's the same old thing. Something has got to change.”

Whether it's happening to the Texans or the Chiefs, allowing a long third-down conversion can be most demoralizing to a defense. When Houston coach Dom Capers is handed a stat sheet after a game, the first thing he looks for beyond turnover differential is third-down conversion percentages.

“Those are (back-)breakers,” he said. “You work so hard on first and second down to get a team in an advantageous third-down situation. The advantage swings to you from a defensive standpoint. When they convert and are able to maintain the ball and the drive, it's always frustrating.”

It was a particular problem for the Chiefs in last week's loss to Carolina. The Panthers converted six plays of third down and 6 yards or longer on their first two touchdown drives.

Denver touchdown drives were similarly aided by longer third-down conversions in the season opener.

Cunningham is trying to mix his defenses in those situations. The Chiefs have tried blitzing and also backing off. They've played man coverage, and they've played zone.

But the Chiefs are able to find some common threads. They almost always fail to get pressure on the quarterback. In many cases, opponents are spreading the field and getting favorable matchups on inside receivers.

One such matchup came when the Broncos got safety Jerome Woods in one-on-one coverage against wide receiver Ashley Lelie. Woods missed a chuck at the line of scrimmage and allowed Lelie to catch a 22-yard pass.

The play came on third and 11 from the Chiefs' 49 early in the fourth quarter. The Broncos continued the drive and took a 27-24 lead on Jason Elam's 45-yard field goal.

“That was a situation where we got down on (defensive backs), and I had to play in (a situation) which I hadn't practiced,” Woods said. “That was a tough adjustment for me to make. It was my fault. I should have known to play him more inside, more heads up. The next time that happens, I'll know what to do.”

The Chiefs could be in for another long afternoon Sunday if they don't correct their problems. Houston converts more than 50 percent of its third-down plays by getting favorable matchups for halfback Domanick Davis, who is second in the AFC with 16 receptions.

As much as Capers, a former defensive assistant, is bothered when his defense doesn't hold on third downs, that's how a coach with an offensive background like the Chiefs' Dick Vermeil feels when his offense fails.

He's seen that a lot this season. The Chiefs have converted only 28 percent of the time.

The Chiefs this week in practice worked on the scramble drill. In the drill, the protection around quarterback Trent Green breaks down, and he is forced from the pocket. Receivers are coached where to go in such a situation.

The scramble drill isn't only for third-down situations, but that's when it could help most.

“We've been spoiled a little bit in terms of being able to throw from the pocket,” Green said. “We really haven't had to rely too much on the scramble.”

The Chiefs converted an efficient 42 percent of their third-down plays last season, but that's a little misleading. The Chiefs frequently faced short-yardage situations on third downs.

Not so this year. Sixteen of the 24 third-down plays required 7 or more yards, suggesting the Chiefs' real offensive problem lies on first and second downs.

“We've just got to eliminate those types of situations, have better success on first and second downs,” Green said.

ZootedGranny
09-24-2004, 01:47 AM
The pass protection has been shaky this season, and that counts for the Chiefs being in several thrid and longs, but I think Saunders playcalling has been a factor as well. It seems that if a first down run doesn't net around 5 yards, it's going to be pass on 2nd and then pass on 3rd.

digi2fish
09-24-2004, 02:50 AM
[url]“That was a situation where we got down on (defensive backs), and I had to play in (a situation) which I hadn't practiced,” Woods said. “That was a tough adjustment for me to make. It was my fault. I should have known to play him more inside, more heads up. The next time that happens, I'll know what to do.”

shouldn't we practice it during the camp or something....?
:harumph:

btw, what's wrong with our pround offense line ? was it a mistake to sending John Tait ? or something else went wrong ?

Frankie
09-24-2004, 06:40 AM
I agree that not converting 3rd and longs is probably the only difference between this year's 'O' and last years. To me it can only get fixed at the WR position.

Gaz
09-24-2004, 06:46 AM
As far as our OL is concerned, we need to keep in mind that we played [2] good Defenses in Denver and Carolina. And we also need to acknowledge that Carolina has a phenomenal front four. Combine that with a depleted WR corps [which, sorry to say, was not that great to start with] and you have problems getting open, which leads to OLinmen having to hold blocks longer, which leads to Holding penalties, which leads to killed drives, which leads to…

…well, you get the idea.

xoxo~
Gaz
Ready to play a crappy Defense [no, I am not talking about a scrimmage with the Chiefs D].