PDA

View Full Version : Should Vermeil bench Warfield?

Chiefnj
09-24-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm just wondering what ChiefsPlanet members would do in this situation. You have a player who has been convicted twice of DUI and is now arrested (not convicted) again for the same violation. He has utilized a loophole to obtain an out-of-state drivers license so his vehicle doesn't have to have a breathalyzer.

Do you say "innocent until proven guilty, now go play and get us our first win"?

or

Do you say "Eric you dope, your going to kill someone and I have to make a moral decision to bench you for X amount of time. It's been a distraction to the entire team the entire week"?

donkhater
09-24-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm just wondering what ChiefsPlanet members would do in this situation. You have a player who has been convicted twice of DUI and is now arrested (not convicted) again for the same violation. He has utilized a loophole to obtain an out-of-state drivers license so his vehicle doesn't have to have a breathalyzer.

Do you say "innocent until proven guilty, now go play and get us our first win"?

or

Do you say "Eric you dope, your going to kill someone and I have to make a moral decision to bench you for X amount of time. It's been a distraction to the entire team the entire week"?
I think the league is going to do that for him.

I will say that this should go through the courts first. If he's found guilty, then I have no issue with the team doing this. Until then, its just an allegation.

Brock
09-24-2004, 08:21 AM
I probably would have gotten rid of him after the second DUI.

Hoover
09-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Hell No, we need a win

the Talking Can
09-24-2004, 08:22 AM
I'd cut his ass....right after the season's over

Dartgod
09-24-2004, 08:25 AM
He will likely be suspended by the league for four games and possibly face jail time. Anyone else would be free to work until his court date so I see no reason Eric shouldn't be allowed to do the same. His punishment will be dealt if and when he is convicted (I have no doubt he will be).

Hydrae
09-24-2004, 08:27 AM
He will likely be suspended by the league for four games and possibly face jail time. Anyone else would be free to work until his court date so I see no reason Eric shouldn't be allowed to do the same. His punishment will be dealt if and when he is convicted (I have no doubt he will be).

Exactly.

And don't think DV will be doing anything proactive. He sure didn't with Little.

Abba-Dabba
09-24-2004, 08:28 AM
No.

InChiefsHeaven
I think the league is going to do that for him.

I will say that this should go through the courts first. If he's found guilty, then I have no issue with the team doing this. Until then, its just an allegation.
THAT is a solid take. And it's fair. In America, you do your time after being convicted of the crime. But here is something else. If you get a third DUI, should you just be summarily fired from YOUR job? OR do some think that Eric should go just because he plays football, not works on a garbage truck or something...?

Just wondering if everyone holds themselves to the same standards...

Iowanian
He is "innocent until Proven Guilty" by law........

The league is bound to suspend him for 4 games......I can see not starting him, but holding him out is only going to hurt an already battered Team.

Leonard Little Killed someone, got another DUI and still plays........Ray Lewis helped Gut 2 men and made the cover of Madden this year...............Warfield needs some help obviously and should be punished.

Brock
09-24-2004, 08:40 AM
If you get a third DUI, should you just be summarily fired from YOUR job?

No. I should be in prison.

shaneo69
09-24-2004, 08:42 AM
My question is...has anyone else ever driven under the influence three times in their life? If so, you're just as big a menace to society as he is. He was just dumb enough to get caught. Yeah, he's probably driven drunk more than three times in his life, but I would guess that most people here have as well. I don't condone it at all, but since it wasn't a violent crime or some kind of burglary, I would let him stay on the team after he does his punishment.

ChiefsFanatic
09-24-2004, 08:43 AM
He is "innocent until Proven Guilty" by law........

The league is bound to suspend him for 4 games......I can see not starting him, but holding him out is only going to hurt an already battered Team.

Leonard Little Killed someone, got another DUI and still plays........Ray Lewis helped Gut 2 men and made the cover of Madden this year...............Warfield needs some help obviously and should be punished.

Ray Lewis did not help anyone do anything. All he did was not divulge information he had about the killing after the fact. That is why the murder charges against him were dropped.

As for Little, there should be a ****ing law that says after you kill someone while drinking and driving, and then get another DUI, you should go directly to prison for the rest of your life. If taking a life isn't enough for you to quit drinking and driving, then you are too ****ing stupid to ever learn, and deserve to live life behind bars, for everyone's safety.

I think I would not start Warfield. Our defense couldn't be that much worse without him. DV is always talking about the "profile" of his kind of person and football player, and he should back up his talk with action, because surely his "profile" does not include an habitual drunk driver.

ChiefsFanatic
09-24-2004, 08:45 AM
My question is...has anyone else ever driven under the influence three times in their life? If so, you're just as big a menace to society as he is. He was just dumb enough to get caught. Yeah, he's probably driven drunk more than three times in his life, but I would guess that most people here have as well. I don't condone it at all, but since it wasn't a violent crime or some kind of burglary, I would let him stay on the team after he does his punishment.

Drunk driving may not be overtly violent, but it is like firing a gun into a crowd, and not hitting anyone. The odds are, sooner or later, you will. even if you have to reload.

FloridaChief
09-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Our defense couldn't be that much worse without him.

Agree with everything else you said except this.

Brock
09-24-2004, 08:50 AM

How many DUIs would it take for you to never, ever drive drunk again? For any person with a lick of sense, the answer is 1.

Gaz
09-24-2004, 08:53 AM
When he is convicted, he will be suspended. After he serves his sentence and suspension, he has every right to play again.

If I were HC, he would not return to my team after the suspension. It would not be a matter of punishment, but simply the fact that I do not want a player like that on my roster.

xoxo~
Gaz
Concedes that the net effect is the same.

LVNHACK
09-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Nope.....Let him go to trial, the let the NFL do it's thing.....

shaneo69
09-24-2004, 08:56 AM
How many DUIs would it take for you to never, ever drive drunk again? For any person with a lick of sense, the answer is 1.

That wasn't the question. I'm granting you that he's stupid for still driving after the 1st and 2nd ones, but I know a lot of people who drive home every weekend after going out and luckily don't get caught. Those people are just as bad as Warfield.

ChiefsFanatic
09-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Agree with everything else you said except this.

OK, what I really meant was, if our offense can't score, increase it's TOP, and put pressure on the other team to do anything other than run the ball, then how much does it matter if he starts or not.

ptlyon
09-24-2004, 08:59 AM
My question is...has anyone else ever driven under the influence three times in their life? If so, you're just as big a menace to society as he is.

I would like to see the actual number on this, but I would say 98% of the general population has.

And what percentage of people leaving Arrowhead is?

shaneo69
09-24-2004, 09:04 AM
I would like to see the actual number on this, but I would say 98% of the general population has.

And what percentage of people leaving Arrowhead is?

That's what I was going to say. :thumb:

The same people who rip on Warfield and say he should be off the team are driving home from Arrowhead each Sunday hammered.

FloridaChief
09-24-2004, 09:09 AM
That wasn't the question. I'm granting you that he's stupid for still driving after the 1st and 2nd ones, but I know a lot of people who drive home every weekend after going out and luckily don't get caught. Those people are just as bad as Warfield.

Yes they are. They're hypocrites. But that doesn't excuse or justify Warfield's actions.

jspchief
09-24-2004, 09:16 AM
This isn't college. This is just like any other job...what he does in his spare time is his business. The only reason it should affect him at work is if he drives for a living. If the NFL has a policy that addresses it, then let the NFL do the punishing. Otherwise I want him on the feild helping us win.

shaneo69
09-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Yes they are. They're hypocrites. But that doesn't excuse or justify Warfield's actions.

You're right. He needs to have his license taken away, maybe spend some time in jail, and then suffer whatever punishment the NFL hands out, but I don't think he deserves to get benched or cut from the team for this type of offense when thousands of Chiefs fans are doing the same thing when they leave Arrowhead each week.

InChiefsHeaven
09-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Also, FWIW, I was at a bar that had one of those Breathalizer test things. I blew a .09. That's .01 over the limit. I didn't even feel like I was buzzing much. If .08 is all it takes, then don't stop by the bar for a couple of beers after work. You are a scumbag like Warfield if you do...

...course, I don't know what his blood alchohol content was...maybe he was really hammered.

KC Kings
09-24-2004, 09:33 AM

You are correct, I have driven drunk and I was just as much of a menace as he was. However, I was in my teens/young 20's and have since grown up. Was I accountable for my actions? Absolutely, but the fact that Warfield is a grown man, has gotten in trouble for this before, and he STILL doesn't care or realize the situation he is putting himself and others in, speaks volumes about his character.

As far as benching him, I say let him play. Is there anybody on this board that would get unpaid leave from work if their boss found out they got a DUI? Why should it be any different for him?

And don't claim the "public eye" reason, because I doubt if there is any kid in America that looks up to or idolizes Warfield or any other current Cheifs Cb.

Mr. Laz
09-24-2004, 09:57 AM
gotta let the courts do their thing first

Rausch
09-24-2004, 10:28 AM
No need for DV to bench him, if he's convicted the NFL will do it for him...

htismaqe
09-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Vermeil and the Chiefs should just step away.

The judge and the NFL will impose punishment on Warfield. He should be doing his job until then.

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Yea just when the guy seems to be finally getting it bench him with our 0-2 record, yea that's the ticket. :rolleyes:

NY CHIEF
09-24-2004, 12:20 PM
If i played on this defense I'd be drinking too!! ROFL