PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else feel like Vermeil is losing it?

ChiefsFanatik88
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
With the way he has managed the last two games, going for a 58 yard field goal with a "rookie" kicker, to saying that if he had known that Tynes would have missed the field goal in the Panthers game:He would have went for it on 4th down.
To publicly telling one of his players to take the diapers off. Which he later apologizes for.

I think the guy may have lost it. Oh well, Sanders won't be as loyal to bad players when Vermeil retires after this season.

Gaz
09-24-2004, 11:59 AM
No.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still happy to have DV in charge.

Bwana
09-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Ask me at the end of the season.

Chiefnj
09-24-2004, 12:05 PM
I think he made similar coaching decisions last year (not going for it and punting, etc.).

I'm not sure about Vermiel and LJ. I don't know if it is motivational or if LJ is one of the rare players Vermeil doesn't like and rips in public. 99.9% of the time Vermeil supports his players. Every so often there is a player that DV likes to insult.

Archie Bunker
09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
First off if Saunders gets the job when Vermiel leaves(which he will) I am going to be pissed off. He is overrated and a bad playcaller.

Anyway Vermiel is just feeling the heat. He realizes that last year was the year to get it done and keeping Greg Robinson cost him his shot. I think kicking the 58 yarder was a good call in Denver and I also am in the minority that believes you should take the points and kick a FG whenever it is an option.

I think the whole LJ thing was done for 2 reasons. 1) to motivate LJ and 2) to take the attention off of the defense and put it on himself.

This week will be a great week IMO. Gunther said that it would be week 3 or 4 before the defense jelled.

The Chiefs will pass the gut check this week. Bank on it. :thumb:

gblowfish
09-24-2004, 12:10 PM
All this week I kept thinkin to myself "Who's more likely to be wearin' diapers? Vermeil or LJ???"

Depends....

homey
09-24-2004, 12:22 PM
I initially thought Dick was losing it last year when he said he didn't see any reason up upgrade our defense.

R&GHomer
09-24-2004, 12:22 PM
All this week I kept thinkin to myself "Who's more likely to be wearin' diapers? Vermeil or LJ???"

Depends....

:thumb: Good point. My money's on :deevee:

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2004, 12:23 PM
What DV needs is a little hookers and blow and he will be just fine.

Chan93lx50
09-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Vermeil is a numbers guy so he usually goes with what the numbers tell him.

Thats Kick the field goal

Sucks

Deberg_1990
09-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Vermeil has made a number of bad descions the past 3 years or so.....remember the game agaisnt Seattle back in 2002 when he had Green throw the ball at the goaline instead of running Priest instead? Remember any number of games that he hasnt gone for it on 4th and short because he was the only one left in the stadium that had any confidence in our defense to make a stop?? Your right, hes a numbers guy but he needs to stop that because he has such a lopsided team.

Gaz
09-24-2004, 12:32 PM
...remember the game agaisnt Seattle back in 2002 when he had Green throw the ball at the goaline instead of running Priest instead?...

Saunders is the OC.

xoxo~
Gaz
Can read an org chart with the best of them.

Deberg_1990
09-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Saunders is the OC.

xoxo~
Gaz
Can read an org chart with the best of them.

Vermeil could have overruled at any time.......I know he likes to delegate...but still...

Gaz
09-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Saunders called the play.

He can NEVER be let off the hook for that stupid, overly-cute call that gave Seattle a HUGE momentum swing and led directly to the loss. Please do not dilute the blame by spreading it around. It needs to remain concentrated, lest we forget.

Saunders screwed it up, Saunders wears it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Suffering post-traumatic rage flashbacks now.

Deberg_1990
09-24-2004, 12:37 PM

He can NEVER be let off the hook for that stupid, overly-cute call that gave Seattle a HUGE momentum swing and led directly to the loss. Please do not dilute the blame by spreading it around. It needs to remain concentrated, lest we forget.

xoxo~
Gaz

Sorry for the bad memories Gaz! LOL

jAZ
09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
No, but I think some Chiefs fans are beginning to lose it.

:p

Swanman
09-24-2004, 12:49 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

That same play almost happened again this past week against the Panthers. The Chiefs had a 1st down and the 2 and instead of giving it to the most dependable goal line runner in the league, he ran a cute roll-out pass play in which Green forced the ball into double coverage to none other than Jason Dunn, who catches about 3 balls every four seasons. About 3 seconds after the snap when Green was running around looking for someone open, I was screaming at the top of my lungs for him to put the ball 15 rows into the seats so my heart about stopped when he threw it into the crowd at the back of the endzone. It was definitely the type of play that Trent used to make 2 years ago, but I thought he had grown out of that stage. Hopefully it was just a random occurrence.

Chiefnj
09-24-2004, 12:49 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

Was that the play that the ball actually hit Dunn in the hands, bounced off and was an INT?

Deberg_1990
09-24-2004, 12:53 PM
That same play almost happened again this past week against the Panthers. The Chiefs had a 1st down and the 2 and instead of giving it to the most dependable goal line runner in the league, he ran a cute roll-out pass play in which Green forced the ball into double coverage to none other than Jason Dunn, who catches about 3 balls every four seasons. About 3 seconds after the snap when Green was running around looking for someone open, I was screaming at the top of my lungs for him to put the ball 15 rows into the seats so my heart about stopped when he threw it into the crowd at the back of the endzone. It was definitely the type of play that Trent used to make 2 years ago, but I thought he had grown out of that stage. Hopefully it was just a random occurrence.

You would think that someone would have coached Green to throw the ball away when the play breaks down or when no one is open by now?? He makes the same mistakes he made 3 years ago......Hes still a good QB but hes not McNabb or Vick who can make something out of nothing...

KCTitus
09-24-2004, 12:57 PM
...Hes still a good QB but hes not McNabb or Vick who can make something out of nothing...

Where's captain obvious when you need him?

Green: 8th round pick...223 overall.
McNabb: 2nd overall
Vick: 1st overall

I wouldn't call it a stretch to say he's not as 'good' as those two...

Deberg_1990
09-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Where's captain obvious when you need him?

Green: 8th round pick...223 overall.
McNabb: 2nd overall
Vick: 1st overall

I wouldn't call it a stretch to say he's not as 'good' as those two...

Hey, hes better than Todd Blackledge!

KCTitus
09-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Hey, hes better than Todd Blackledge!

:D

Gaz
09-24-2004, 01:03 PM
Was that the play that the ball actually hit Dunn in the hands, bounced off and was an INT?

AUGH!!!

Breathe, Gaz, breathe.

xoxo~
Gaz
Losing feeling in his extremities.

KCTitus
09-24-2004, 01:04 PM
I do, appreciate the reminder about the Seattle game...I remember the battles/flame wars about that pick at halftime raged for days on the BB.

Chiefnj
09-24-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm probably the only one, but I don't think it (the Seattle game that has scarred Gaz) was a bad call. The ball hit Dunn in the hands in the endzone. It should have been a TD. It's not Saunders' fault Dunn juggled it into the air and into the hands of a defensive back.

ChiTown
09-24-2004, 01:06 PM
I do, appreciate the reminder about the Seattle game...I remember the battles/flame wars about that pick at halftime raged for days on the BB.

Ahh yes, that was the first time my oldest son heard me utter the word :phuck.

I'm still in bad graces with the Mrs. on that one........ :(

KCTitus
09-24-2004, 01:08 PM

Been there and done that....unfortunately, it wasnt in the heat of a sporting event that I uttered that in front of both my oldest. Im lucky my wife didnt rip them off...

Swanman
09-24-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm probably the only one, but I don't think it (the Seattle game that has scarred Gaz) was a bad call. The ball hit Dunn in the hands in the endzone. It should have been a TD. It's not Saunders' fault Dunn juggled it into the air and into the hands of a defensive back.

I'm from the school of thought that if you have the ball 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line, you run the ****ing ball until you cross the goal line, especially if you have Priest in the backfield. Sure, you can run a pass play that will work 75% of the time, but there are just too many things that can go wrong with the pass play instead of the run play (getting sacked at the 15 yard line, interception, etc.).

donkhater
09-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I'm from the school of thought that if you have the ball 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line, you run the ****ing ball until you cross the goal line, especially if you have Priest in the backfield. Sure, you can run a pass play that will work 75% of the time, but there are just too many things that can go wrong with the pass play instead of the run play (getting sacked at the 15 yard line, interception, etc.).
That and the fact that Priest was running about 7.5 yards per carry (literally, not just an average) and he already had 2 tds in the game.

Wile_E_Coyote
09-24-2004, 02:05 PM
Defense & Offense play badly at home, Hicks gets in a media mess, Warfield gets his 3rd DUI. Not saying he planed it(don't think he did), but if he can put the media focus on him, good job.

Mark M
09-24-2004, 02:14 PM

Three things can happen when you pass the ball ... and two are bad.

I think Woody Hayes said that. Either way, can't disagree. But it's water under the bridge.

Vermeil has made numerous questionable calls the last three years -- not going for it on 4th down a number of times, horrible clock management, choosing to "coach-up" players rather than bringing in new ones, et al.

But you know what? The one thing he has done is bring some high-character guys into the fold. Sure, the team will have it's share of asshats (Warfield, who was here pre-DV) and malcontents (LJ). But overall, he's created a team with players that you're not ashamed to root for.

Or do people already forget Bam Morris, Vanover, Rison, etc.?

I told First Down Elvis this last year: If given the choice, I'd rather have a team be mediocre with good players, than be great with a bunch of thugs.

MM
~~:arrow:

Calcountry
09-24-2004, 02:16 PM
No, but I think some Chiefs fans are beginning to lose it.

:p
ROFL

Calcountry
09-24-2004, 02:18 PM

I'm still in bad graces with the Mrs. on that one........ :(
ROFL

Archie Bunker
09-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Good point Mark M. I agree about the quality of players that Vermiel has brought in. I only wish this team had more of a mean streak to it. They seem to be a little to nice if thats possible.

BIG_DADDY
09-24-2004, 02:23 PM
ADSP - Another Dummier Seagull Post

Mark M
09-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Good point Mark M. I agree about the quality of players that Vermiel has brought in. I only wish this team had more of a mean streak to it. They seem to be a little to nice if thats possible.

I don't disagree at all. The one disadvantage is that DV's teams seem to be "soft."

I was hoping that Welbourn and Gunther would bring some attitude to the team.

Unfortunately, it appears as if Welbourn is a freaking swinging gate at RT, and Gun -- like the rest of the defense -- doesn't make any tackles.

MM
~~:arrow:

Surtain23
09-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Dick needs to get his act together before he has another breakdown...

tk13
09-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Only on the Planet could a thread turn into an argument over a single playcall in a game two years ago.... ROFL

It's funny how things work.... last year when everything was great Dick Vermeil was working his magic again.... we can't even wait more than 2 games this year to go from "Magic" to "Lost it, game over".

tk13
09-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah, that play sucked, no doubt. I think all my "WR drop bitterness" got redirected to Johnnie Morton when he dropped that 3rd and 10 pass when he was wide up late in the 2nd quarter of the playoff game...

Rausch
09-24-2004, 03:11 PM
If there's much more talk about that play from the Seahawks game, I'm gonna have to stay the f*ck out of this thread in the interest of keeping my blood pressure somewhere in the range of non-fatal.

I feel myself becomming more and more "Titus" with every thread posted this year... STFU

Rausch
09-24-2004, 03:16 PM
I have no idea what that means.

Cynical towards my fellow posters.

And I'm just not witty enough to hide my "you're a ****ing moron" comments cleverly...

TEX
09-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Vermeil has made a number of bad descions the past 3 years or so.....remember the game agaisnt Seattle back in 2002 when he had Green throw the ball at the goaline instead of running Priest instead? Remember any number of games that he hasnt gone for it on 4th and short because he was the only one left in the stadium that had any confidence in our defense to make a stop?? Your right, hes a numbers guy but he needs to stop that because he has such a lopsided team.

Not anymore as both sides are equally $UCKY... :banghead:

tk13
09-24-2004, 03:33 PM
I feel myself becomming more and more "Titus" with every thread posted this year... STFU
I hear ya... By the end of the year I might have to change my name to TKTitus....

Chief Roundup
09-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Someone always thinks DV is "losing it" with his comments. But that is just part of his profile.