PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs comments in Pastabelly's Tip Sheet...

shaneo69
09-24-2004, 03:37 PM
How bad is the Kansas City defense against the run? In the first two games of 2003, the unit surrendered 124 yards and no touchdowns on 34 attempts. Yet that defense still went on to finish 30th in the NFL versus the rush. The defense has allowed 375 yards and three scores on 75 rushes in the first two games of the 2004 schedule. Yikes! We several times noted here that the addition of Gunther Cunningham as defensive coordinator was one of the most significant acquisitions of the offseason by any team. But Cunningham can't strap on the pads and make plays and, truth be told, the Chiefs are one of the poorest tackling teams we have seen in a long time. Noted one NFL offensive coordinator: "It's like they're playing with one arm (amputated). I look and see a guy like (Monty) Beisel playing middle linebacker, a guy who is a career special-teamer, and I feel pretty good about my chances of running on them."

shaneo69
09-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Looks like we have a challenger for the "Career Day Defense".........the "One-armed Defense."

Deberg_1990
09-24-2004, 03:40 PM
IM sure every team in the league salivates over getting to play against our "Career Day" defense. Its like an open invitation to pad your stats....

Nelson Muntz
09-24-2004, 03:41 PM
But Cunningham can't strap on the pads and make plays and, truth be told, the Chiefs are one of the poorest tackling teams we have seen in a long time. Noted one NFL offensive coordinator: "It's like they're playing with one arm (amputated). I look and see a guy like (Monty) Beisel playing middle linebacker, a guy who is a career special-teamer, and I feel pretty good about my chances of running on them."

Thats pretty sad when they realize that but Peterson and Vermeil can't see it.

tk13
09-24-2004, 03:43 PM
You can't compare it to last year... we held Tomlinson to 30 yards in that first game. That's the last time this defense effectively stopped the run... that's just piling on and using stats to make a worthless point. I could counter and say we lead the league in negative rushing plays or whatever, but obviously that wouldn't tell the whole story....

Deberg_1990
09-24-2004, 03:45 PM
You can't compare it to last year... we held Tomlinson to 30 yards in that game. That's the last time this defense effectively stopped the run... that's just piling on and using stats to make a worthless point. I could counter and say we led the league in negative rushing plays or whatever, but obviously that wouldn't tell the whole story....

Agreed....thats the last game i remember when we effectively stopped a rushing attack....but was that due more to the fact we jumped ahead early and they were forced to pass more? Or Marty's Incompetence perhaps??

Chief Roundup
09-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Noted one NFL offensive coordinator: "It's like they're playing with one arm (amputated). I look and see a guy like (Monty) Beisel playing middle linebacker, a guy who is a career special-teamer, and I feel pretty good about my chances of running on them."

I would feel the same way and have success as well.

No MLB was not an area of need at all this offseason. :rolleyes:

whoman69
09-24-2004, 04:53 PM
The offense and the defense are interconnected. The worse the offense looks, the worse the D will look and neither has looked good so far.