PDA

View Full Version : Does the Cap room bug anyone else???

1adam1238
09-25-2004, 02:28 PM
I've been looking at the Salary Cap info that I can find......going into camp this is what it looked like....and I don't remember us signing anyone else. Why don't we do something with the room we have?
Injuries are killing us and non-performance of other players hasn't helped either:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1510617.html

Kansas City Chiefs $6.67 million under

I spent $1200 on tickets this year........we need to get some spent.

Calcountry
09-25-2004, 02:31 PM
I agree with you. You put your foot down on the gas and give it all you've got. Use it or lose it. There is no excuse IMO for not spending it.

LiL stumppy
09-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Carl.Peterson.Is.A.Idiot

Braincase
09-25-2004, 02:35 PM
I can't say, as I have no idea what is out there in performance incentives for the players. After they meet certain performance thresholds, they get bonuses, but it's not clear to me whether than immediately applies to this season's salary cap or how much gets deferred to next years salary cap. There are probably rules about what can be done, and I'd guess the league would allow a team to use the remaining portion of their cap money from the current year to be applied to the bonuses.

1adam1238
09-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Whatever the rules, they are extremely complicated. In fact, I am sure it is job security for someone at every team in the NFL in charge of the Salary Cap.

BigRedChief
09-25-2004, 02:39 PM
We can agrue about this draft pick or that free agent. but at least they were getting someone. Maybe not the guy we thought they should get but they were at least trying. When you see $6 million that they could have used to go after free agents just laying in their bank account you have to raise the question? Which is more important or making money? 33 mil in profit wasn't enough? You have to have 39 mil profit? and now you cut our best punter to save 100,00 in which you gave up a draft pick?

seems kind of penny pinching to me. There is no excuse whatsoever to leave one penny under the cap. None. You didn't find anybody you liked? fine. Restruture some contracts now and use the 6 mil up. We can have the additional 6 mil next year.

I think we are due a

Dammit Carl! :cuss:

Archie Bunker
09-25-2004, 02:40 PM
I am not sure what is going on. I know that several of our players contracts jump after this year. I dont know if that is the reason or not. Hopefully the Chiefs can get Wesley and other potential fa signed up like they did with Weigman.

Its not likely but its nice to have some flexibility if something happens prior to the trade deadline.

I think our depth is just cheap at this point and there is no reason to spend it just to spend it. Could the Chiefs have used a MLB or a WR sure but I will just leave it to the boys to decided what is best.

Chieficus
09-25-2004, 03:09 PM
The only thing I can think of to explain it is that with the ballooning of some of the contracts next year (see Barber and Holliday for example), it's not so much a factor of how far we are under right now but more of a factor of how far we'll be over come next year...

1adam1238
09-25-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm thinking those two maybe should be waived at the end of the season then.......cause they really haven't shown much this year, yet.......I hope that changes though.

whoman69
09-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Obsess much? Do you really believe they waived Cheeks to save money? How are you going to get an injury replacement if there is no spot on the roster for him to fill? IMO releasing Huard is a good move as well. We don't need QBs that throw like a girl anyway.

Chieficus
09-25-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm thinking those two maybe should be waived at the end of the season then.......cause they really haven't shown much this year, yet.......I hope that changes though.

If Allen or Wilkerson steps it up sometime this year (or for that matter the Browning-Dalton/Siavii-Sims-Hicks line kicks butt), then Holliday most ikely will be gone...

But as for Barber...we don't have anyone on the team right now who would be better than him. No telling right now who exactly will be availiable in the FA pool next year...and aside from that if we are in cap trouble next year, cutting him and signing someone else "big name" might not be feasable...I do see a restructuring attempt though...

Calcountry
09-25-2004, 06:07 PM
We can agrue about this draft pick or that free agent. but at least they were getting someone. Maybe not the guy we thought they should get but they were at least trying. When you see $6 million that they could have used to go after free agents just laying in their bank account you have to raise the question? Which is more important or making money? 33 mil in profit wasn't enough? You have to have 39 mil profit? and now you cut our best punter to save 100,00 in which you gave up a draft pick?

seems kind of penny pinching to me. There is no excuse whatsoever to leave one penny under the cap. None. You didn't find anybody you liked? fine. Restruture some contracts now and use the 6 mil up. We can have the additional 6 mil next year.

I think we are due a

Dammit Carl! :cuss:
Why are we so busy chasing nickels that we cannot see the dollars? Maybe the Chiefs front office should consider that?

milkman
09-25-2004, 07:18 PM
I can't say, as I have no idea what is out there in performance incentives for the players. After they meet certain performance thresholds, they get bonuses, but it's not clear to me whether than immediately applies to this season's salary cap or how much gets deferred to next years salary cap. There are probably rules about what can be done, and I'd guess the league would allow a team to use the remaining portion of their cap money from the current year to be applied to the bonuses.

There was a discussion about this topic sometime ago.

I think Keg found some info about this.

If memory serves me, incentives that are considered easily attainable are applied to this season's cap.
Those that are considered unlikely to be achieved are not.
If a player achieves one of those unlikely to be attained incentives, that bonus is applied to the next seasons cap.

PastorMikH
09-25-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking that even though they have the "cap space" they don't have the money. With Lamar's health, the actual overseeing may be in his son's hands now and he may be asking Carl to work out of the Chiefs bank account instead of the Hunt's bank account.

And who knows, maybe Lamar is tired of paying out of his pocket for what he has been getting so he has told Carl to not come asking for more $.

Either way, it sounds to me like maybe the bank account that backed the Chiefs up on all those big deals isn't there now and Carl is actually having to make a go of it with the club's revenues instead. In which case, even if the NFL says we can spend 6 mil more, if we don't have it, we can't spend it.

milkman
09-25-2004, 07:27 PM
And who knows, maybe Lamar is tired of paying out of his pocket for what he has been getting so he has told Carl to not come asking for more $.

If that were the case, he should have fired Carl's ass instead.

I really doubt that is the case, though.

I just think Carl is just a friggen' moron who really has never learned that standing pat in the NFL just means you're going backwards.

tk13
09-25-2004, 07:34 PM
I just think Carl is just a friggen' moron who really has never learned that standing pat in the NFL just means you're going backwards.

Or he was afraid to repeat 1997 when he splurged in the FA market and the team fell apart the next year...

bricks
09-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Carl.Peterson.Is.A.Idiot

The more I see what he is doing with our football team, the more I'm starting to believe your statement. Some of the moves he made are absolutely bogus :shake:

milkman
09-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Or he was afraid to repeat 1997 when he splurged in the FA market and the team fell apart the next year...

Maybe.
But I think he needed to find a happy medium between standing pat, as he did after the '95 season, and splurging after the '97 season.

whoman69
09-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Several times in the last few years the Chiefs have led the league in money spent, even with Daniel Snyder in the league. We didn't get better out of spending last year so I have a feeling that it wasn't too hard to convince Lamar that they should go with the talent they have. Its not like we spent no money, as we did resign Browning, Hicks, Wesley and Woods. Thats a bit of bonus money up front.
I still doubt the profit margins that many put forth on this board. We don't have many of the revenue enhancers in Arrowhead that are there for every new stadium, and there are a bunch out there.

38yrsfan
09-25-2004, 08:33 PM
It isn't the first time and it probably won't be the last. Lamar needs to pass the team on to a younger owner. Change starts at the top. Spend it, spend it, spend it!

KCChiefsMan
09-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Carl.Peterson.Is.A.Idiot

an idiot

JazzzLovr
09-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Perhaps they're saving the extra cap money so that they can buy Gucci sunglasses for all the players.

Darkwolfe
09-25-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm starting to worry that Trent might need a prescription to go with those shades if he doesn't start hitting reveivers soon. Like tomorrow...

JazzzLovr
09-25-2004, 09:48 PM
an idiot

Truer words were never spoken.

This is quite a breakthrough, I think. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

1adam1238
09-25-2004, 11:52 PM
I think its fugggin evident that CP is a complete asshole who thinks a change in the coach would fix things....its fuggin obvisous that didn't work...and as soon as the defense stahls the offense goes on vacation....and makes the defense even worse.....it doesn't take a rocket sceintist to figure out that there all a bunch of ****ing assholes and need to have there balls shaved.

Manila-Chief
09-26-2004, 01:18 AM
I'm thinking that even though they have the "cap space" they don't have the money.

Mike, It is my understanding ... that if they have the cap space they have at least that amount of money. They may not have the extra cash to pay bonuses but the revenue sharing feature of the league will provide that amount of money.

My problem with Carl is that he didn't even try to sign players who would upgrade our D and/or WR's.

Someone mentioned saving the money for next year ... can't do it. Have to live with the cap for each year. It doesn't carry over from year to year.

I, too, have a problem with Lamar. The Chiefs are making a profit. He should not be in if for the money. If he is ... we will never win a championship.

In the mid to late 60's Lamar made a commitment to win. Hank was able to lure all of our stars away from the NFL and we went to the first S.B. and won one. As someone said, It starts at the top. If Lamar wanted a ring bad enough we would have one by now.... At least that is my thoughts!!!