PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Long wait ends as Delaney joins Ring of Honor

tk13
09-26-2004, 01:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/9761334.htm

Long wait ends today as Delaney finally joins Ring of Honor

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

For Joe Delaney's wife, Carolyn, and for the hard-working folks at the “37 Forever Foundation,” today is a long time coming: It's the day that Joe Delaney's No. 37 will be put up on the Arrowhead Stadium Ring of Honor.

The Chiefs Hall of Fame ceremony for Delaney will take place at halftime of the Chiefs-Texans game.

Chiefs fans have longed for this day and this is a fitting tribute to Delaney, who gave his own life in an attempt to save others.

Delaney, a second-round draft pick from Northwestern Louisiana, started 10 games during his rookie season in 1981 and gained 1,121 yards. He had five 100-yard games, including a 193-yard performance against Houston.

Delaney also led the Chiefs in rushing with 380 yards during the strike-shortened 1982 season.

But on June 29, 1983, three weeks from the start of training camp, he sat near a pond in Monroe, La., when he heard the screams of three boys. Though he was not a swimmer, Delaney dived in the pond and tried to pull the boys out.

Delaney, 24, and two of the boys drowned. Another was able to make it out of the pond.

Delaney was survived by Carolyn and three daughters.

“He had all the qualities and character traits that you look up to in great people,” Tom Condon, a Chiefs guard during 1974-'84, said a day after Delaney's death. “Courage, tenacity, honesty, loyalty. His rookie year he played beat up and hurt like you wouldn't expect a seasoned veteran to. And then he had the courage to come back from a serious eye injury and play again.

“I was talking with a friend about what Joe did to help those boys and he said, ‘I guess that's just the kind of thing you do in an emergency.' That's not the kind of thing you do. That's the kind of thing Joe Delaney does.”

Said J.D. Helm, an offensive coach, at the time, “There would be no question in my mind and there was none in Joe's (about attempting the rescue). It doesn't make any difference if it was 1,000 feet deep. I'm sure he thought it was the right thing.”

Former Chiefs safety Deron Cherry once said of Delaney: “When you come in as a rookie and take the league by storm, and accomplish the things he accomplished, that says the guy is special.

“We will never really know what Joe Delaney could have accomplished in a uniform. We had glimpses.”

On the subject of Delaney, the 37 Forever Foundation will play host to the fourth annual 37 Forever Foundation Banquet on Monday starting at 6 p.m. at the Arrowhead Club.

Cost is $100 but the attire is business casual (tuxes are not required).

For more information, call (816) 665-1208.

On the question of whether it's the coach's system or the players, Panthers offensive coordinator Dan Henning told The Sporting News of Gunther Cunningham, “Gunther is a good football coach. But maybe he doesn't have the bullets, I don't know.”

38yrsfan
09-26-2004, 09:20 AM
I remember that day. Joe had such potential and was on the way to being an established, premier NFL running back. His preceeding year was an indication of that greatness. I remember thinking, somewhat selfishly, "why does this seem to happen to the Chiefs?" I did think it was foolish of him when he couldn't swim, there are better ways to attempt rescues. We teach that to 2nd class scouts, 11 year olds. We even tell them under no circumstances to enter the water. The results are obvious.

I have sincere appreciation and respect for Joe's contributions as a human being. He made the ultimate sacrifice for another.

Mr. Kotter
09-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Nice article. Props to all you folks at 37Forever for finally making this happen... :clap:

AJKCFAN
09-26-2004, 10:46 PM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/sports/html/90C77B89-C60E-4539-B602-2CD0A94F114A.shtml

Chief Henry
09-27-2004, 07:56 AM
To the people of the 37 Forever Foundation, you truly are
difference makers. Nice Work...

Mark M
09-27-2004, 12:22 PM
I wasn't able to make the game, but my dad did. The attached pics are ones he took.

I would also like to give MAJOR props to Adam (AJKCFAN), Phil (Kloster), Roy (ROYC75), Pam (KS Smitty), Todd (47 Mack), Tammie (sp?) (JazzzLovr), Scott (Bob Dole) and everyone else for all of their hard work. I have been kinda preoccupied lately and haven't been able to do nearly as much as I would like. But, obviously, you guys can do it without me. :D

MM
~~:arrow:

Iowanian
09-27-2004, 02:20 PM
About. Damn. time.

shaneo69
09-27-2004, 03:11 PM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/sports/html/90C77B89-C60E-4539-B602-2CD0A94F114A.shtml

That's awesome Adam----great job by all of you who helped make this a reality.

I just wish Lamar or Carl would've let one of Joe's ex-teammates give a brief speech as they presented the framed jersey to Joe's widow at halftime, or maybe let her say a few words.

Lzen
09-27-2004, 03:18 PM
It's about damn time is right. Though I wish they had done the story on Joe about him trying to save 3 drowning boys. They didn't make mention of that during the halftime ceremony. They just showed highlights of his short career as a Chief. Sure, maybe that's all he was to them, a football player. But sometimes it's about being more than a player. It's about being a great human being. That's what Joe was.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2004, 03:49 PM
It's about damn time is right. Though I wish they had done the story on Joe about him trying to save 3 drowning boys. They didn't make mention of that during the halftime ceremony. They just showed highlights of his short career as a Chief. Sure, maybe that's all he was to them, a football player. But sometimes it's about being more than a player. It's about being a great human being. That's what Joe was.

yea..im surprised that didnt give a short summery about what made him so special?? Im willing to bet about 70% of the Arrowhead faithful DO NOT know his story since most of them signed on about 1990 or after....

tommykat
09-27-2004, 05:09 PM
yea..im surprised that didnt give a short summery about what made him so special?? Im willing to bet about 70% of the Arrowhead faithful DO NOT know his story since most of them signed on about 1990 or after....

I agree with you! The highlights were cool though.

KCWolfman
09-27-2004, 08:28 PM
Phil kicked ass tonight. He pieced together a helluva night. And Kimble rocks

You guys that said you were going really missed out. I know for a fact that the event will be a permanent planned event in mine and my wife's future.

go bo
09-27-2004, 09:16 PM

You guys that said you were going really missed out. I know for a fact that the event will be a permanent planned event in mine and my wife's future.me and mine too... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Phobia
09-28-2004, 12:05 AM

You guys that said you were going really missed out. I know for a fact that the event will be a permanent planned event in mine and my wife's future.

I can't take too much credit for tonight. We had some things fall into place for us and we had some things go poorly. I'm just happy that our speakers were so skilled in telling us something fresh about Joe Delaney. That was spectacular. I know everybody had a fabulous time and that it keeps getting better each year. That's all we ever wanted.

mcan
09-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Congratulations to everyone in involved... Especially congratulations to Joe and his family. I'm sure he looked on with that same humble spirit that makes a man risk his life for another. What you guys have done is a great thing here, and I will continue to wear my jersey with pride...

Garcia Bronco
09-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Congrats to Joe, his family, and the Chiefs. Really an amazing story of sacriface.

Phobia
09-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Here's another link to a Delaney story:
http://www.chiefswarroom.net/kcwarroom/delaney.html

Thanks to Marc Centanni and the kind people at www.chiefswarroom.net (http://www.chiefswarroom.net) - they've always taken an interest in the Joe Delaney story and 37 Forever.

KCWolfman
09-28-2004, 11:21 AM
And another from Joe's college website

Demon great Joe Delaney enters KC Chiefs' Ring of Honor Sunday (http://www.nsudemons.com/story.asp?ID=899)

....A group of Chiefs fans three years ago formed "The 37 Forever Foundation" to provide water safety information and swimming programs to underprivileged youths in memory of Delaney, who wore jersey No. 37 for Kansas City. The group, whose website is www.37forever.org on the internet, is "dedicated to the lasting recognition of a true sports hero who selflessly gave his life in an attempt to save three children," one who survived.

The 37 Forever Foundation will hold its annual dinner at Arrowhead Stadium on Monday night, with proceeds to help benefit the American Red Cross Learn to Swim Program.....

ROYC75
09-29-2004, 06:45 AM
OK, it was a great weekend for all of us. Sat. was a major hit from what I was told, ( I didn't make it )

Sunday was good, even thou we lost, the tailgating was great. ( Thanks Joe and all who worked so hard to pull this one off )

Monday banquet..........We went all out for this one folks ! We had a few things that soured on us at the last minute, but the speakers,meal, and location was a perfect setting to show the resepect for Joe Delaney. For those who didn't or couldn't make it, we understand, but you missed out on a classy night. Chances are we will not be able to score another night like this, at least not right away unless some other things fall into place.

Rest assure the annual event will continue for 37Forever.

I would like to take this time to thanks all the members, planet members and family that has made this dream become reality. Without the help of these fine people who gave quality time and donations, this would still be a dream. Many members started out with us in year #1, some have fallen by the side for various reasons, other members have been added. Many of us have had our hands in this for 4 years now while some are just getting started with us, assuring that 37 Forever will continue.

Again, Thanks to all, Past , Present, and Future members.

Phobia
09-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Well done, Roy. Fantastic post.

BIG_DADDY
09-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Outstanding!!! :thumb: