PDA

View Full Version : The Optimist's Thread

Lord Bestyle
09-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, I was shellshocked when the clock hit zero, now that I've reovered a bit, here's my $0.02:

Over the past two weeks, we lost because we sucked. The D looked like last year and the O looked like 2001. By the third quarter in both games, I had already declared "game over," despite having my fingers crossed.

This week I really felt like we could (and should have) won it. Despite the glaring similarity on one play (yes, that one) to the 2002 Seattle game, eerily mentioned by Gaz earlier this week. (Gaz, may you have such clairvoyance on your season record prediction.)

I really felt like the O was getting back to normal, and the Defense was dominating the LOS (albiet not much past that line - read: long passes). There were a few times I thought Dante had one. We lost on dumb penalties, bad officiating, and a few bad decisions. A far cry from the week 2 loss where we got whooped.

You might argue that this was the Texans, but bear in mind that they would have been 2-0 coming into this if it weren't for their turnover ratio. That same ratio improved considerably today.

This team is on the way up. It may not happen next Monday night, but I'm betting we get over the hump sooner, rather than later. When/if that happens, watch out.

Thig Lyfe
09-26-2004, 04:44 PM
Optimism is THA BOMB!!! Chiefs 12-4 going all the way baby.

David.
09-26-2004, 04:47 PM
pft I'm guessing 14-2

Baby Lee
09-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Well, I was shellshocked when the clock hit zero, now that I've reovered a bit, here's my $0.02:

Over the past two weeks, we lost because we sucked. The D looked like last year and the O looked like 2001. By the third quarter in both games, I had already declared "game over," despite having my fingers crossed.

This week I really felt like we could (and should have) won it. Despite the glaring similarity on one play (yes, that one) to the 2002 Seattle game, eerily mentioned by Gaz earlier this week. (Gaz, may you have such clairvoyance on your season record prediction.)

I really felt like the O was getting back to normal, and the Defense was dominating the LOS (albiet not much past that line - read: long passes). There were a few times I thought Dante had one. We lost on dumb penalties, bad officiating, and a few bad decisions. A far cry from the week 2 loss where we got whooped.

You might argue that this was the Texans, but bear in mind that they would have been 2-0 coming into this if it weren't for their turnover ratio. That same ratio improved considerably today.

This team is on the way up. It may not happen next Monday night, but I'm betting we get over the hump sooner, rather than later. When/if that happens, watch out.
I agree, . . . adding the fear it'll be too late.

el borracho
09-26-2004, 04:53 PM
Lots of improved playing today. Kill the penalties and get better on 3rd downs and we still make the playoffs.

gblowfish
09-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Crack is a terrible thing to share.

Lord Bestyle
09-26-2004, 05:00 PM
I share that fear, too, BL, but I'm glad the bye is Week 5, and not Week 8. I think the bye is going to be key.

Some stats to be happy about:
Our D had 5 tackes behind the LOS, and allowed 2.9YPC
Our O had the ball for 35:07 and 364 yards of total offense
We should have won this thing. It was just one of those games. Not like the last two weeks which flat out sucked.

Deberg_1990
09-26-2004, 05:16 PM
I share that fear, too, BL, but I'm glad the bye is Week 5, and not Week 8. I think the bye is going to be key.

Some stats to be happy about:
Our D had 5 tackes behind the LOS, and allowed 2.9YPC
Our O had the ball for 35:07 and 364 yards of total offense
We should have won this thing. It was just one of those games. Not like the last two weeks which flat out sucked.

our 3rd down D is killing us!!! I dont get it?? How can you stop teams on 3rd and short but they kill you on 3rd and 17????

Lord Bestyle
09-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Too much emphasis on stopping the run, not enough emphasis on stopping the deep pass?

whoman69
09-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Our team has shown nothing to indicate that it will go on a tear. Dante is not a deep threat except with running after the catch and DV doesn't trust the young guys enough to give them a significant role. By the end of the year, this defense will be tough, but that's too late. Optimism is overrated just like the Chiefs.