PDA

View Full Version : At what point does winning do more harm than good?

ILChief
09-27-2004, 07:34 AM
One thing I don't want is for the Chiefs to continue to stink and start 2-7, only to catch fire and finish 8-8, screwing our draft position. If we are going to stink, we should stink. We could get Antrel Rolle in rd 1 and hope Mike Williams falls to round 2 since he's been off a year. Or draft Braylon Edwards in round one and a defensive player in rd 2.

--------------------------------
Keep in mind I hope we catch fire and somehow salvage a 10-6 record. IF we can beat Baltimore (big IF) and go into the bye week on a positive there is a chance to turn it around.

Gaz
09-27-2004, 07:37 AM
You NEVER play to lose.

Sandbaggers suck.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not like this line of thought.

ILChief
09-27-2004, 07:40 AM
You NEVER play to lose.

Sandbaggers suck.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not like this line of thought.

I'm not saying the players should ever try to lose, I'm just saying from an overall standpoint, what does finishing 8-8 get the Chiefs? Nothing. No playoffs and a mediocre draft pick. At least being really bad brings you a good draft pick.

the Talking Can
09-27-2004, 07:40 AM
winning is always better than losing..we don't want to become the Bengals

Braincase
09-27-2004, 07:42 AM
We're not the Raiders. We still need to make a best effort to win. As long as Carl is GM, won't make a difference. Whatever guy we get in the first round won't be in camp, will be the wrong player, or will decide he doesn't want to play for the Chiefs and sit out the season.

Gaz
09-27-2004, 07:43 AM
Losing is never acceptable, regardless of the draft pick or schedule or whatever consolation prize you attach to it.

I will never be happy or even mildly pleased that my team lost a game.

xoxo~
Gaz
Unyielding on this.

the Talking Can
09-27-2004, 07:46 AM
look how many top draft picks the Bengals got...and they still suck

Hammock Parties
09-27-2004, 07:48 AM
I've been 8-8 before. I didn't like it. 0-16 is fine by me, because that's the only way anything is going to get accomplished.

cdcox
09-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Losing is a disease. The more you lose, the easier it is to lose more. Losing then becomes a tradition, and one that is very difficult to change. There is a reason the same teams are so bad year after year.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Wow. In three weeks time we've gone from talking Super Bowl to talking draft order.

:shake:

go royals.

Braincase
09-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Losing is a disease. The more you lose, the easier it is to lose more. Losing then becomes a tradition, and one that is very difficult to change. There is a reason the same teams are so bad year after year.

Aren't you supposed to put that in quotes and give credit to "The Natural" by Bernard Malamud?

Baby Lee
09-27-2004, 08:16 AM
You PLAY to WIN the GAME. - Herm Edwards

Baby Lee
09-27-2004, 08:18 AM
I've been 8-8 before. I didn't like it. 0-16 is fine by me, because that's the only way anything is going to get accomplished.
Horseh!t. What draft pick is gonna resuscitatate an 0-16 team? Always better to keep the team playing as well as it possibly can to keep the motor running in the organization. Better to use mid-round draft picks to either move up or fill holes on a team with a pulse, than to be faced with throwing the whole lot of them out.

KCTitus
09-27-2004, 08:19 AM
What draft pick is gonna resuscitatate an 0-16 team?...

Or more to the point, What Carl Peterson draft pick is going to resuscitate an 0-16 team?

or are we assuming Carl's gone after this year...I think this is a poor assumption.

King_Chief_Fan
09-27-2004, 08:23 AM
look how many top draft picks the Bengals got...and they still suck

ding, ding ding......exactly.

NEVER, get o.k. with losing

Demonpenz
09-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Most superbowl champs come off 8-8 9-7 years.... Years they know how to win, just not enough people or luck doesn't go your way. You can have a solid draft without going 1-15, it just hasn't happened yet

cdcox
09-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Aren't you supposed to put that in quotes and give credit to "The Natural" by Bernard Malamud?

Possibly. I saw the movie many years ago and it may have slipped into my subconsciousness, but I didn't specifcially remember it coming from there, or any where else.