View Full Version : Chiefs shopping LJ?

ceebz
09-27-2004, 08:53 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/9769274.htm

Chiefs shop running back

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

AND JASON COLE

The Kansas City Chiefs called the Dolphins this week to gauge Miami's interest in running back Larry Johnson, and that interest might have risen Sunday night.

The Dolphins lost running back Lamar Gordon in the first half with a left shoulder injury. The extent of the injury wasn't known immediately, but Gordon did not return to the game.

Johnson, a first-round draft pick in 2003, has apparently fallen out of favor in Kansas City.

Last week, Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil was quoted as saying Johnson would have to get rid of his ''diapers'' -- the inference being that the running back has been a baby. Vermeil apologized.

It is unclear what the Chiefs are asking for Johnson, but they need a defensive back. Through a team spokesman, Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman declined to comment, saying he would talk only about players on the roster.

A source close to safety Arturo Freeman said this week he would welcome a trade.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 08:55 AM
I was all for keeping him, but he is becoming a distraction and now that we know Priest is healthy, we should get some help in other areas. LJ is a punk-ass and I'm all for trading him. Vermeil's comments were uncalled for, but LJ should still understand Vermeil is HIS boss. STFU LJ and go play for someone else, you prima-donna, self-absorbed prick.

Braincase
09-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Great. We'll trade a first rounder for a 3rd and a possible 4th, then in two years when we no longer have Priest, we'll be looking for a running back.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Great. We'll trade a first rounder for a 3rd and a possible 4th, then in two years when we no longer have Priest, we'll be looking for a running back.
Let me introduce you to Carl Peterson, where all draft picks are better than a slice of heaven. Carl screwed this up and now we need to do what we can to get something in return for LJ.

Chiefnj
09-27-2004, 09:01 AM
How can we pass on the opportunity to get, yet another, safety.

You have to keep Johnson. If Priest and/or DV walks at the end of this year, there is a good chance Johnson could be the RBOTF. Plus, he's cheap and isn't taking up much cap space.

Ralphy Boy
09-27-2004, 09:06 AM
So who would it be?
Madison, Surtain, Will Poole, Reggie Howard, Jimmy Wyrick?

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 09:06 AM
How can we pass on the opportunity to get, yet another, safety.

You have to keep Johnson. If Priest and/or DV walks at the end of this year, there is a good chance Johnson could be the RBOTF. Plus, he's cheap and isn't taking up much cap space.
Like I said earlier I was all for keeping LJ. I have defended him since day one, but his immmature antics are becoming a distraction and I think we should get something in return, because it's obvious the Chiefs aren't going to get him in the game to try and develop him. LJ's calling out the head coach just made his own bed, Vermeil has made it clear that LJ is a wuss because he doesn't get his way. LJ will ride the pine for calling Vermeil out.

Frankie
09-27-2004, 09:12 AM

Travis Henry (Bills) will be a FA. Possible? The point is the draft is not the only place to land a replacement for Priest. I'd say let's see what we can get for LJ. I wish we could add a 3rd and get their WR Chambers. I remember the Chiefs really coveted him in the draft. I know that's practically impossible as the Dolphines need him too. But with their QBs, they may have to be a running team anyway.

ceebz
09-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Like I said earlier I was all for keeping LJ. I have defended him since day one, but his immmature antics are becoming a distraction and I think we should get something in return, because it's obvious the Chiefs aren't going to get him in the game to try and develop him. LJ's calling out the head coach just made his own bed, Vermeil has made it clear that LJ is a wuss because he doesn't get his way. LJ will ride the pine for calling Vermeil out.

I completely agree. I just wish the Chiefs would've traded him sooner.

Rain Man
09-27-2004, 09:15 AM
I have this recurring nightmare that the Rai ders will sign Steve Cheek, and then we'll trade LJ for him, and then he'll get hurt again and we'll cut him, and then the Bron cos will sign him, and then we'll trade...

htismaqe
09-27-2004, 09:16 AM
If we trade LJ for ****ing Arturo Freeman...a SAFETY...I'm going to lose it.

jspchief
09-27-2004, 09:19 AM
What the hell is the point of keeping him if we aren't going to use him?

Every team in the NFL gives carries to a second back, yet we can't find a way to get the ball in his hands? Holmes is injured this week and we still give him 30+ carries without LJ getting in to give him a breather? If he's supposed to be the RBOTF, when is going to get a chance to run in the NFL? Regardless of whether we keep him or trade or cut him, I can't understand how we have no use for our #1 draft pick in curent games.

Ahman Green give carries to Tony Fisher. Edge gives carries to Rhodes abd Mungro. Jamal Lewis shares carries. The list goes on. So why the f*ck isn't LJ even getting a sniff of the football?

ceebz
09-27-2004, 09:19 AM

I think the writer is just speculating. Although, Woods' play this year has been less than inspiring. Johnson never makes that catch yesterday if Woods doesn't 'whiff' him.

ceebz
09-27-2004, 09:20 AM
What the hell is the point of keeping him if we aren't going to use him?

Every team in the NFL gives carries to a second back, yet we can't find a way to get the ball in his hands? Holmes is injured this week and we still give him 30+ carries without LJ getting in to give him a breather? If he's supposed to be the RBOTF, when is going to get a chance to run in the NFL? Regardless of whether we keep him or trade or cut him, I can't understand how we have no use for our #1 draft pick in curent games.

Ahman Green give carries to Tony Fisher. Edge gives carries to Rhodes abd Mungro. Jamal Lewis shares carries. The list goes on. So why the f*ck isn't LJ even getting a sniff of the football?

Because he's been in DV's doghouse since the day he was drafted.

htismaqe
09-27-2004, 09:21 AM

It's really easy to call LJ immature when the guy that STARTED IT is the 70-year old coach of the team...regardless of Larry's attitude, Vermeil has a habit of saying things that a man of his stature shouldn't say (Troy Vincent will compete with WILLIAM BARTEE?!?!).

There's a chance, and maybe a good chance, that Vermeil leaves after this season.

There's no reason to get rid of a potential franchise back, when the one we have is 31, has been injured, and as recently as last offseason considered retirement, especially if the only problem is that he can't get along with a coach that won't be here in 1 or 2 years.

nmt1
09-27-2004, 09:24 AM
(Troy Vincent will compete with WILLIAM BARTEE?!?!).

Come on, be realistic. Vincent would really have been competeing with B@rtee. In our secondary, no one's spot should be guaranteed regardless of how they were aquired.

jspchief
09-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Because he's been in DV's doghouse since the day he was drafted.
DV can shove his doghouse up his ass. This isn't college football. This is a business and the business thrives off of winning. We used our top pick on this kid last year, I'm ready to get a little return on the investment. You want to list him as third string? Fine. You want to call him out in public? So be it. But how the hell is he supposed to respond when he doesn't even get on the field? How long does he have to sit in DV's "doghouse" before he becomes a total malcontent and loses all trade value?

Who the hell is DV to be calling anyone a baby when he sobs every time he wipes his ass.

jspchief
09-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Come on, be realistic. Vincent would really have been competeing with B@rtee. In our secondary, no one's spot should be guaranteed regardless of how they were aquired.

Maybe so, but you don't tell that to a veteran starter that you're courting. Once he signs the contract you can tell him he has to earn his spot on the field.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 09:36 AM
It's really easy to call LJ immature when the guy that STARTED IT is the 70-year old coach of the team...regardless of Larry's attitude, Vermeil has a habit of saying things that a man of his stature shouldn't say (Troy Vincent will compete with WILLIAM BARTEE?!?!).

There's a chance, and maybe a good chance, that Vermeil leaves after this season.

There's no reason to get rid of a potential franchise back, when the one we have is 31, has been injured, and as recently as last offseason considered retirement, especially if the only problem is that he can't get along with a coach that won't be here in 1 or 2 years.Maybe you should re-read what I said. I said I was all for KEEPING LJ, however he has become a distraction and he pissed Vermeil off. Vermeil is the HEAD COACH. LJ is a 3rd string HB. See the difference? Whether you agree or disagree with Vermeil and his comments is irrelevant because Vermeil is in charge of the team, NOT LJ. Believe me I'm all for having a future HB being ready when and if Priest decides to hang it up, however calling out his coach will get him nowhere.

Vermeil handled his press conference poorly by calling out LJ, but two wrongs don't make a right and Vermeil is in charge, whether some want to admit it or not, it's still the case. Lj just needs to keep his mouth shut and EARN the job. Proofs in the pudding.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 09:40 AM
DV can shove his doghouse up his ass. This isn't college football. This is a business and the business thrives off of winning. We used our top pick on this kid last year, I'm ready to get a little return on the investment. You want to list him as third string? Fine. You want to call him out in public? So be it. But how the hell is he supposed to respond when he doesn't even get on the field? How long does he have to sit in DV's "doghouse" before he becomes a total malcontent and loses all trade value?

Who the hell is DV to be calling anyone a baby when he sobs every time he wipes his ass.
Maybe if LJ just played his ass off and EARNED his way on the field this would be a non-issue. At some point, LJ needs to be a man. Did you ever think maybe Vermeil is trying to motivate LJ?

jspchief
09-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Maybe if LJ just played his ass off and EARNED his way on the field this would be a non-issue. At some point, LJ needs to be a man. Did you ever think maybe Vermeil is trying to motivate LJ?

How do we know if he's earning it or not? And what does it take to "earn" a carry on game day in the NFL?

Of the 26 teams that played yesterday, 22 of them gave carries to multiple backs. Among the four that didn't, you have Minnesota, who's RB group is decimated by injuries, Atlanta who has a second running threat in Vick (and Duckett injured), the Titans who faced a tough rush D and have no depth at RB, and finally the almighty Chiefs who have excellent depth at RB...so good that we can put a first round pick on third string.

My point is, why isn't LJ getting even a few carries? If it's because he's the third best back on our team, then why the hell isn't Blaylock getting carries? And if he truly is the third best RB on our team (which I don't buy), then why don't we trade him? He's third best on a team that doesn't even need a second string back...why keep him?

I just would like to see him get the ball, even if it's one or two carries a game. Give Holmes some rest, and find out if what else we have is of any value.

htismaqe
09-27-2004, 10:05 AM

Did you ever think maybe Vermeil is a stubborn old man that didn't want LJ in the first place and has decided not to let him on the field no matter what he does to prove himself?

Mr. Laz
09-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Did you ever think maybe Vermeil is a stubborn old man that didn't want LJ in the first place and has decided not to let him on the field no matter what he does to prove himself?

doesn't this pretty go against the general consensus of Dick Vermeil by "most" around here?

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Of coarse I've thought of that, but that doesn't make it so and besides how is calling out your coach going to get you more playing time? Also LJ HAS seen the field, so your argument is FLAWED.

jspchief
09-27-2004, 10:15 AM
how is calling out your coach going to get you more playing time?

It probably doesn't help. But how the hell can LJ take off the diapers when Vermeil keeps putting them on?

ceebz
09-27-2004, 10:19 AM
It probably doesn't help. But how the hell can LJ take off the diapers when Vermeil keeps putting them on?

I'll agree with that. I think that LJ probably hasn't gotten a fair shake in KC but, I think the relationship between he and DV has probably gotten to the point where the Chiefs should see what kind of trade value he has.

He's not going to see the field anyway, so why not get something for him?

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 10:20 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. Two wrongs don't make a right. Vermeil handled the LJ comments poorly, but LJ called out his coach, too. The head coach whether right, wrong, or indifferent is still the guy in charge of his players. I really believe he was trying to motivate LJ and handled it very poorly, but LJ could have just said no comment and moved down the road. He chose not to, so their both in the wrong.

PastorMikH
09-27-2004, 10:28 AM
I thought LJ looked pretty good out there in pre-season. Better than Blaylock for sure. I don't think he's really been given a chance. He's carried the ball 20 times in his career and he's averaging 4.3 yards a carry - as a rookie! I say give him the ball and let him run.

morphius
09-27-2004, 10:30 AM
My biggest issue with trading LJ is that we are really going to be hurting next season when Blaylock gets to test the FA market for the first time. Then we are left with Omar "I can't block, so on passing downs they will have to pull me out of the game" Easy as our backup RB.

htismaqe
09-27-2004, 10:31 AM
doesn't this pretty go against the general consensus of Dick Vermeil by "most" around here?

No. I think most here acknowledge that Vermeil has his "pet" players...

David.
09-27-2004, 10:31 AM
wtf? When did LJ call out his coach? DV called LJ out. Did I miss a press conference or something?

htismaqe
09-27-2004, 10:35 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. Two wrongs don't make a right. Vermeil handled the LJ comments poorly, but LJ called out his coach, too. The head coach whether right, wrong, or indifferent is still the guy in charge of his players. I really believe he was trying to motivate LJ and handled it very poorly, but LJ could have just said no comment and moved down the road. He chose not to, so their both in the wrong.

Let's get this straight:

LJ didn't CALL ANYBODY OUT. He responded to comments from the head coach.

That same head coach has, in the past, said MANY questionable things, including that an opposing player should be "shot".

Yes, LJ could have said no comment. If he had, it would show that he simply doesn't care, and many here would have been lambasting him for it.

Instead, he shows intensity and a FURTHER willingness to compete, despite the fact that he probably knows he will never be given a chance here.

Straight, No Chaser
09-27-2004, 10:36 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/9769274.htm

Chiefs shop running back

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

asalguero@herald.com

AND JASON COLE

The Kansas City Chiefs called the Dolphins this week to gauge Miami's interest in running back Larry Johnson, and that interest might have risen Sunday night.

The Dolphins lost running back Lamar Gordon in the first half with a left shoulder injury. The extent of the injury wasn't known immediately, but Gordon did not return to the game.

Damn, Enter El Rey. If the rumors last week are true about LJ being a chum bucket, I bet El Rey is foaming at the mouth now that Miami player is injured...El Rey is a freaking Ambulance Chaser...

----->

jspchief
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
The thing that pisses me off the most is that Vermeil threw down the Guantlet, and then didn't even give Johnson a chance to pick it up.

This was the perfect opportunity to get LJ a few carries. A perfect opportunity for LJ to let his actions shut Vermeil up. DV could have come out smelling like a rose on this. If LJ plays poorly, it's "see what I mean?" and if LJ plays well, it's "I'm glad I got his fire burning".

ChiTown
09-27-2004, 10:46 AM
The thing that pisses me off the most is that Vermeil threw down the Guantlet, and then didn't even give Johnson a chance to pick it up.

This was the perfect opportunity to get LJ a few carries. A perfect opportunity for LJ to let his actions shut Vermeil up. DV could have come out smelling like a rose on this. If LJ plays poorly, it's "see what I mean?" and if LJ plays well, it's "I'm glad I got his fire burning".

Yeah, in retrospect, it was totally stupid to say anything of that nature, especially when the guy never got a chance to see the field. I know he was trying to "ready the guy" with those comments, but it was a lot of drama for nothing.

Alton deFlat
09-27-2004, 10:55 AM
The Bucs lost Charlie Garner for the season yesterday.

bricks
09-27-2004, 11:09 AM

Oh we probably will. THEN we'll try and convert him into a corner ROFL

Gaz
09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Oh we probably will. THEN we'll try and convert him into a corner...

Well, it SOUNDS like something we’d do…

xoxo~
Gaz
Cannot argue with that.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Let's get this straight:

LJ didn't CALL ANYBODY OUT. He responded to comments from the head coach.

That same head coach has, in the past, said MANY questionable things, including that an opposing player should be "shot".

Yes, LJ could have said no comment. If he had, it would show that he simply doesn't care, and many here would have been lambasting him for it.

Instead, he shows intensity and a FURTHER willingness to compete, despite the fact that he probably knows he will never be given a chance here.

LJ DID call out Vermeil. LJ might not have drawn first blood, but he clearly spoke his mind on the Vermeil comments. He didn't hold back. Discussing whether or not he called him out or not is splitting hairs and not getting to the heart of the subject. That subject is, there IS a rift between Vermeil and LJ and we can possibly trade him and get something in return. Admittedly, Vermeil had said some off-the-wall comments, but I'm sure most coaches have and only his LJ comments are relative to this discussion. I have already(a few times in this post alone) acknowledged that Vermeil's comments weren't well thought out, but let's get to the discussion that talks about the rift between the two and what I am basing my argument on.

Fact: There is strive between LJ and Vermeil.
Fact: Vermeil didn't want to draft LJ( CP superceeded his head coach's choice).
Fact: LJ has gone public with his unhappiness of not being able to play.
Fact: The Chiefs have several holes to fill and a 3rd string back-up isn't helping fufill those needs.
Fact: Several teams could use a young HB that is hungry to get on the field.
Fact: LJ isn't going to UNSEAT Holmes this year or next.

Like I've said from the beginning I was all for keeping LJ and thought it was a good insurance policy if Priest couldn't go(although a later round draft pick would have been better when we needed so much defensive help),but Holmes is healthy and Blaylock is a servicable backup for our offense and LJ's disgruntledness is becoming a distraction, one in which I believe we should send a message and trade his ass out of here. NO player is above the head coach. NONE.

Chiefnj
09-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Fact: There is strive between LJ and Vermeil.
Fact: Vermeil didn't want to draft LJ( CP superceeded his head coach's choice).
Fact: LJ has gone public with his unhappiness of not being able to play.
Fact: The Chiefs have several holes to fill and a 3rd string back-up isn't helping fufill those needs.
Fact: Several teams could use a young HB that is hungry to get on the field.
Fact: LJ isn't going to UNSEAT Holmes this year or next.

I agree with your first 3.

As to #4, 5 and 6 I disagree. First, Priest could retire at the end of this year. Second, Vermeil could retire at the end of this year. If either of those two things happen the LJ becomes an important part of the team. Several teams could use a hungry HB, but what are we going to get for him? We used the #16 pick in the draft for him. Teams covet good cornerbacks. They don't give them up. Similarly, Miami isn't going to give up Chris Chambers.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 11:51 AM
I agree with your first 3.

As to #4, 5 and 6 I disagree. First, Priest could retire at the end of this year. Second, Vermeil could retire at the end of this year. If either of those two things happen the LJ becomes an important part of the team. Several teams could use a hungry HB, but what are we going to get for him? We used the #16 pick in the draft for him. Teams covet good cornerbacks. They don't give them up. Similarly, Miami isn't going to give up Chris Chambers.
I'm glad you do agree with some of the points. Priest MAY retire that's SPECULATION. If he doesn't, then he WILL be the starter that's what I'm basing it on. If he stays, he plays. That is a FACT! Secondly, we used the 27th pick on LJ, not the 16th. We traded down. Third, I never mentioned any specific players to trade for, so I'm not sure why you are responding to my post about that.