PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and goal from the 2 yard line.

blsilks
09-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Why for the love of god and all that is holy, on 2nd and goal from the 2 yard line, would you lob a fade pass (I hate the fade pass) out to the side when you have Priest Holmes (27 Rushing Touchdowns, 4.4 yards per carry in 2003) and a Massive and Destructive Offensive line that would make George W. Bush himself send troops into Missouri. There is no need to get fancy. You do what you know works. Especially when you have 3 tries for getting Holmes into the endzone. I know he was throwing to Gonzo but the fade just gives the defense too much time to get in between the receiver and the ball. Congress needs to pass a law that says when the Chiefs have the ball on the 2 or 1 yard line, the ball must be handed off to Priest Holmes.

ChiefsCountry
09-27-2004, 10:25 AM
It wasnt a bad call, just not that in situtation. 9 out of 10 times, Gonzo makes the play.

Rain Man
09-27-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm the wrong person to ask. Inside the 3, I'd just line up 10 offensive linemen and the running back, and have a rugby scrum every play. I'd never throw it or even run it outside.

David.
09-27-2004, 10:29 AM
we need The Refrigerator Perry.

Swanman
09-27-2004, 10:29 AM
This has been hashed over on the board for the last week, and my conclusion is that the only person in the world that thinks passing in that situation is a good idea is Al Saunders. Saunders tries to be so unpredictable, but he is very predictable in one sense. If a run play gets stuffed, you can bet the house that he'll be passing on the next down, and probably the next 4-5 plays after that. Priest got stuffed on 1st down on that drive near the goal line, so he predictably went to the passing game althought Priest almost never gets stuffed twice in a row. What pissed me off even more was that he called a normal three step drop passing play, no play action or rollout. I don't think I've ever seen a pass play from the 2 work if there wasn't some sort of deception involved, the field is just way to compressed.

ChiefsFanatic
09-27-2004, 10:30 AM
It wasnt a bad call, just not that in situtation. 9 out of 10 times, Gonzo makes the play.

Maybe you mean 9 out of 10 times Trent Green makes that play.

ChiefsCountry
09-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Maybe you mean 9 out of 10 times Trent Green makes that play.

Yep, sorry.

David.
09-27-2004, 10:32 AM
yeah, Trent F'd that up, not Gonzo

ChiTown
09-27-2004, 10:33 AM
What pissed me off even more was that he called a normal three step drop passing play, no play action or rollout.

That was THE mistake, IMO. You have to play action down there. Most of the times the OLB bites, and the TE can roll out for the easy pass. A straight pass play was plain STUPID.

Honestly, this loss should be hung (again) on the coaching staff. Their play calling was horrific for a better part of the 2nd half, as well as most of the 2nd qtr.

Chiefnj
09-27-2004, 10:33 AM
People are really getting carried away attacking Saunders for this play.

Holmes got stuffed many times yesterday on running plays. Giving it to Holmes isn't a gimme. Look at the failed 4th down attempt. The Chiefs aren't an up the gut, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, running team.

Throwing the ball to your most reliable receiver isn't in-and-of-itself a bad play. Nobody is bitching about the TD grab Gonzo made in traffic earlier in the game.

Trent stared him down and got caught. In fact, I think Dunn was wide open on the play.

BIG_DADDY
09-27-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree. I have Priest in the backfield with the ball on the 2 he will get it every time.

blsilks
09-27-2004, 10:44 AM
I dont really care if he was getting stuff. If you get down there on the goal line and you have Priest Holmes and that offensive line, you RUN RUN RUN and if you don't get it well then that sucks and you have to move on.

ChiefsFanatic
09-27-2004, 10:45 AM
People are really getting carried away attacking Saunders for this play.

Holmes got stuffed many times yesterday on running plays. Giving it to Holmes isn't a gimme. Look at the failed 4th down attempt. The Chiefs aren't an up the gut, 3 yards and a cloud of dust, running team.

Throwing the ball to your most reliable receiver isn't in-and-of-itself a bad play. Nobody is bitching about the TD grab Gonzo made in traffic earlier in the game.

Trent stared him down and got caught. In fact, I think Dunn was wide open on the play.

The TD catch by Gonzo was great, but Trent could not complete that pass, between 3 defenders, 4 out of 10 times. It was a great catch and a great pass, but hardly one I would want to have to try again and again.

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2004, 10:46 AM
We could complain about that play all week. Given the fact that we picked Carr off in the endzone, then drove down the field and scored 7, only makes it a push. So, in effect, we still lose 16-14...