PDA

View Full Version : I know it sucks and all, but we played pretty well yesterday.

Chris Meck
09-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I mean, seriously. All phases performed better yesterday, and in many ways, we played well enough to win.

The defense did an excellent job stopping the run. Huge improvement.

We put pressure on the QB. Coverage overall wasn't bad; Andre is a rising star in the league, and he showed why. That catch there on their TD drive saved the game for them. We had 'em. He made a great play in perfect coverage. Hey, stuff happens.

Beisel was better. So was Mitchell when he was in. Sims played well, Dalton is a MAN, and Browning is an upgrade to Holliday at end, I think.

Shutdown corner? Anybody notice that they RARELY threw to Warfield's side, and when they did, he picked it off?

Other than the INT, Green played a nice game with a practice squad player( Horn), Hall (who's not much of a natural receiver) Morton (who's not all that great when he's healthy-and he's not) and Gonzales, who had a great game.

Priest was Priest.

Welbourne had a better game.

We had an INT run back for a TD. We didn't make a 4th and 2 in the red zone. They ran a fake punt and kept their key drive alive.

Hey, we outplayed 'em, but they made some key plays when they had to have 'em.

This team is NOT dead. In fact, if we can continue the weekly improvement, we're gonna start to win next week or the week after regardless of who we're playing.

I still think we can make the playoffs, and will be stronger once we get there if we do than last year.

Chris

chiefsfan1963
09-27-2004, 10:50 AM
I mean, seriously. All phases performed better yesterday, and in many ways, we played well enough to win.

The defense did an excellent job stopping the run. Huge improvement.

We put pressure on the QB. Coverage overall wasn't bad; Andre is a rising star in the league, and he showed why. That catch there on their TD drive saved the game for them. We had 'em. He made a great play in perfect coverage. Hey, stuff happens.

Beisel was better. So was Mitchell when he was in. Sims played well, Dalton is a MAN, and Browning is an upgrade to Holliday at end, I think.

Shutdown corner? Anybody notice that they RARELY threw to Warfield's side, and when they did, he picked it off?

Other than the INT, Green played a nice game with a practice squad player( Horn), Hall (who's not much of a natural receiver) Morton (who's not all that great when he's healthy-and he's not) and Gonzales, who had a great game.

Priest was Priest.

Welbourne had a better game.

We had an INT run back for a TD. We didn't make a 4th and 2 in the red zone. They ran a fake punt and kept their key drive alive.

Hey, we outplayed 'em, but they made some key plays when they had to have 'em.

This team is NOT dead. In fact, if we can continue the weekly improvement, we're gonna start to win next week or the week after regardless of who we're playing.

I still think we can make the playoffs, and will be stronger once we get there if we do than last year.

Chris

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb:

bogie
09-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Thank you. I totally agree! :thumb:
IMO going for it on 4th down when we were in the red zone was the mistake of the day. However, we all know why he did it. If they make it, DV's a hero for trusting his O. If not, well...

oldandslow
09-27-2004, 10:59 AM
We lost to an 0-2 team that let sanny eggo beat them in Houston.

We lost to this team at HOME.

We should have looked better - Houston is NOT a good football team. They will not finish at 8-8.

You can look for the silver lining, but from where I am standing its a damn hurricane.

The Bad Guy
09-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Sorry, but there isn't a silver lining for me when you lose at HOME to Houston.

As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm not buying the hype anymore. We're 0-3, that record speaks for itself. Sure we could turn it around, but until then we are what we are...0-3.

Mr. Kotter
09-27-2004, 12:31 PM
0-3.

Right now, we are NOT a good football team; with any luck, that will change....and soon. :shake:

Brock
09-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Yes, the chiefs looked a little better....against one of the worst teams in the league. And still lost, putting themselves among that company.

Baby Lee
09-27-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm not buying the hype anymore. We're 0-3, that record speaks for itself. Sure we could turn it around, but until then we are what we are...0-3.
I'm all for the stance that "0-3 is 0-3," but I have more confidence in yesterday's 0-3 team than I did in last winter's 11-2 team after the Bronco's game.
Which team would you rather root for going into the future? That team we realized we had after the Bronco's game, or the one we are starting to see?

KCTitus
09-27-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm all for the stance that "0-3 is 0-3," but I have more confidence in yesterday's 0-3 team than I did in last winter's 11-2 team after the Bronco's game.
Which team would you rather root for going into the future? That team we realized we had after the Bronco's game, or the one we are starting to see?

I agree...it was terrible knowing that KC was destined for the playoffs only to flame out...worse, IMO, than missing them altogether.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Which team would you rather root for going into the future? That team we realized we had after the Bronco's game, or the one we are starting to see?Is neither an option? :p 0-3 isn't good enough and I will never defend it.

Baby Lee
09-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Is neither an option? :p 0-3 isn't good enough and I will never defend it.
I'm not one to call out who is a 'real fan' or who isn't. But it would seem to me that being unwilling to root for the team, however it's configured, MIGHT be a strike against you. ;)

And who said anything about defending 0-3? I'm defending someone who said he saw some promising things on the field yesterday.

Luzap
09-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Chris,

You are one of the few objective voices in the crowd.

What you and Baby Lee have said is very valid.

I have no idea what the record will show at the end of the season, but the team is definitly getting better. Historically, two of the key components in a championship team are Strength of Schedule and Injuries. The Chiefs have rolled sevens on both, but haven't given up ~ this (IMO) is due to DVs profile and vision of how to build a team.

We definitly have holes on the roster. Much of this (IMO) is because we have consistently drafted in the second half of each round, and have not had much opportunity to develop young quality players at the skill positions.

I don't know why so many fans think they are somehow 'rightous' in finding a scapegoat instead of enjoying what we have accomplished, but that seems to be in vogue. For myself, I will balance being disappointed with the sure knowledge that under DV, Al, and Gun we will continue to improve ~ and hope that the improvement happens fast enough that we can squek into the playoffs where anything can happen.

Luz
just the way i look at things...

Gaz
09-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Special Teams did a pretty good job. They gave the O decent field position.

Defense continued slow improvement, particularly in the running game. As should be expected from a young D, they gave up some big plays. Unfortunately, they gave up big plays on a critical drive. Beisel is improving, but I doubt he is the answer. In deference to the Offense Homers who get soooooo upset when I point it out, I will refrain from mentioning that this occurred after the O once again failed to put the game away, leaving the game in the hands of the Defense [not a good idea].

Offense played well in spurts. Vermeil went for it on 4th down and was [predictably] lambasted when it failed. The OL was somewhat better, although pass protection seemed to break down at the end of the game. Green evidently did not notice the CB on the INT. Not only was it in the end zone [a crushing disappointment], but it was run back for a record-breaking TD [a doubly crushing disappointment]. Unfortunately, the Offense failed to put the game away on more than one occasion. Personally, I put a lot of that on Saunders’ playcalling.

Still, all [3] phases showed improvement in [1] area or another. A bit more Offense or Defense at those critical moments and we could have racked up our first W.

Still, wish in one hand…

xoxo~
Gaz
Saw things about which he can be pleased.

chiefsfan1963
09-27-2004, 01:09 PM

nice post. i have not consider this. i think you are on to something. :thumb:

Baby Lee
09-27-2004, 01:10 PM
In deference to the Offense Homers who get soooooo upset when I point it out, I will refrain from mentioning that this occurred after the O once again failed to put the game away, leaving the game in the hands of the Defense [not a good idea].
And I will refrain from pointing out that you appear to have, in fact, mentioned exactly what you said you'd refrain from mentioning.

ROFL ROFL

Brock
09-27-2004, 01:11 PM
I don't know why so many fans think they are somehow 'rightous' in finding a scapegoat instead of enjoying what we have accomplished, but that seems to be in vogue.

Nothing personal, but I don't see what the Chiefs have accomplished.

chiefsfan1963
09-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Chris,

You are one of the few objective voices in the crowd.

What you and Baby Lee have said is very valid.

I have no idea what the record will show at the end of the season, but the team is definitly getting better. Historically, two of the key components in a championship team are Strength of Schedule and Injuries. The Chiefs have rolled sevens on both, but haven't given up ~ this (IMO) is due to DVs profile and vision of how to build a team.

We definitly have holes on the roster. Much of this (IMO) is because we have consistently drafted in the second half of each round, and have not had much opportunity to develop young quality players at the skill positions.

I don't know why so many fans think they are somehow 'rightous' in finding a scapegoat instead of enjoying what we have accomplished, but that seems to be in vogue. For myself, I will balance being disappointed with the sure knowledge that under DV, Al, and Gun we will continue to improve ~ and hope that the improvement happens fast enough that we can squek into the playoffs where anything can happen.

Luz
just the way i look at things...

nice post :thumb:

Straight, No Chaser
09-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Baby Lee

Is neither an option? :p 0-3 isn't good enough and I will never defend it.

No one is asking you to defend it. Beaching about it now could be theraputic but beyond that it's useless.

I saw defensive improvement yesterday; it appeared the D's attitude was much more spirited than in the first two games (yea, I know it was Houston). Monday is the first game of the rest of the season. If we can hold Lewis to a respectable number and pressure Boller some, we can beat B-More at home no problem.

---->

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm not one to call out who is a 'real fan' or who isn't. But it would seem to me that being unwilling to root for the team, however it's configured, MIGHT be a strike against you. ;)

And who said anything about defending 0-3? I'm defending someone who said he saw some promising things on the field yesterday.Yea-I'm not a true fan. That's why I'm here after an 0-3 start, right?

Andoverer
09-27-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm concerned whether this team will get up for what is now a huge game in Baltimore. I'm sure they are all down in the mouth after yesterday's disappointing outcome, but they need to shake it off real fast or we'll be lamenting having an 0-4 record! That we may not have any chance of recovering from.

Baby Lee
09-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Yea-I'm not a true fan. That's why I'm here after an 0-3 start, right?
Regard the wink Mr. Sensitive.
I was pointing out the humor of being a fan, but not wanting to root for 'any of the above.' Kind of takes fandom to a metaphysical level.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Regard the wink Mr. Sensitive.
I was pointing out the humor of being a fan, but not wanting to root for 'any of the above.' Kind of takes fandom to a metaphysical level.
I'm with you, I just didn't know I was going to have to get into some philosophical karma thing when reading your post. Next time, I'll think on an entirely different plane and do some yoga. :p

Baby Lee
09-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Nothing personal, but I don't see what the Chiefs have accomplished.
Have a heart. Think of all the sunny days our "Make a Wish" Defense provided for formerly mediocre running backs.

Mr. Kotter
09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
....Which team would you rather root for going into the future? That team we realized we had after the Bronco's game, or the one we are starting to see?

When you put it that way, it makes for an interesting question.... :hmmm: