PDA

View Full Version : Kris Wilson

jspchief
09-27-2004, 12:50 PM
I was just thinking about a few things regarding Kris Wilson.

1. Would Wilson have been the solution to our WR woes?
IMO, no. Ignoring the fact hat he's injured, I don't think he would have helped us anyway. The reason our O is struggling is combination of our WRs' inability to get open and lack of a true deep threat. Wilson was not going to stretch the field to open up the intermediate passing game or the screens and sweeps. Until we give the defensive backfield something to fear, we will continue to be shut down on screens and short passing routes.

2. Will the return of Wilson be a boost?
I hope so. Even though I don't think he's the solution we need, he could still be help. If our team can somehow manage to slow the bleeding and win a few tough games, we could "technically" still be in the play-off hunt when he becomes healthy. He could add a much needed target to our offense at a time when our defense is finally starting to gel (hopefully). This is going on the assumption that he'll be what he's touted to be, and will hit the field full speed. It's a big assumption. Besides just having to provide the threat that Saunders claims he'll provide, he'll need to be mentally and physically ready to jump into the NFL at mid-season...not an easy task for a rookie.

I'm holding out hope that we can claw our way into enough wins that his return will provide some sort of boost. I would still rather have a true WR like Colbert on the team, but maybe that's next year.

dirk digler
09-27-2004, 12:54 PM
I was just thinking about a few things regarding Kris Wilson.

1. Would Wilson have been the solution to our WR woes?
IMO, no. Ignoring the fact hat he's injured, I don't think he would have helped us anyway. The reason our O is struggling is combination of our WRs' inability to get open and lack of a true deep threat. Wilson was not going to stretch the field to open up the intermediate passing game or the screens and sweeps. Until we give the defensive backfield something to fear, we will continue to be shut down on screens and short passing routes.

2. Will the return of Wilson be a boost?
I hope so. Even though I don't think he's the solution we need, he could still be help. If our team can somehow manage to slow the bleeding and win a few tough games, we could "technically" still be in the play-off hunt when he becomes healthy. He could add a much needed target to our offense at a time when our defense is finally starting to gel (hopefully). This is going on the assumption that he'll be what he's touted to be, and will hit the field full speed. It's a big assumption. Besides just having to provide the threat that Saunders claims he'll provide, he'll need to be mentally and physically ready to jump into the NFL at mid-season...not an easy task for a rookie.

I'm holding out hope that we can claw our way into enough wins that his return will provide some sort of boost. I would still rather have a true WR like Colbert on the team, but maybe that's next year.

Good question jsp. IMO Wilson would have helped alot for the simple fact that alot of the times he would have 1-1 coverage on the linebackers which is a mis-match. When I was up in training camp they threw the ball alot to Wilson especially running down the seam in the middle and he was always open. Eventually defenses might have to slide the coverage towards him leaving Gonzo and our WR's in man coverage.

go bo
09-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Good question jsp. IMO Wilson would have helped alot for the simple fact that alot of the times he would have 1-1 coverage on the linebackers which is a mis-match. When I was up in training camp they threw the ball alot to Wilson especially running down the seam in the middle and he was always open. Eventually defenses might have to slide the coverage towards him leaving Gonzo and our WR's in man coverage.didn't our wr's have single coverage quite a bit yesterday?

they didn't seem to do much with it, though... :(

shaneo69
09-27-2004, 01:07 PM
After seeing Richard Smith excel in the preseason and then become useless in the regular season, I don't know if Wilson would've been able to handle it any better.

And coming off a broken leg, I don't see how he'll get up to speed quick enough to help us down the stretch.

The other thing I wonder is......whose PT will he be taking? It will be interesting to see if Saunders can utilize him effectively.

dirk digler
09-27-2004, 01:09 PM
didn't our wr's have single coverage quite a bit yesterday?

they didn't seem to do much with it, though... :(

Anytime you have a 1-1 coverage it is advantage offense but with our shitty WR's it doesn't really matter.

I think with Wilson in there it would take some of the coverage eventually off of Gonzo and Priest more than anything.

jspchief
09-27-2004, 01:14 PM
Yea, our WRs had 1-on-1 coverage, but that's not an automatic mismatch.Our WRs suck enough that they aren't a threat in 1-on-1 situations. I think Dirk is saying that he thinks Wilson will be a mismatch in 1-1.

Obviously we haven't seen enough of this kid to have any real idea of what he could done or is going to do. I was just trying to bring up some talking points and maybe a ray of hope for our team to actually get better before the year is over, instead of relying on a weak division to salvage a "successful" season.

1punkyQB
09-27-2004, 01:29 PM
I was intrigued when they picked Wilson, maybe give us a Chmura/Keith Jackson combination like Green Bay had years ago. It'll be hard for him to have an impact this year though, after that much time off.

dirk digler
09-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Yea, our WRs had 1-on-1 coverage, but that's not an automatic mismatch.Our WRs suck enough that they aren't a threat in 1-on-1 situations. I think Dirk is saying that he thinks Wilson will be a mismatch in 1-1.

Obviously we haven't seen enough of this kid to have any real idea of what he could done or is going to do. I was just trying to bring up some talking points and maybe a ray of hope for our team to actually get better before the year is over, instead of relying on a weak division to salvage a "successful" season.

:thumb: IMO Wilson will be a definite mis-match in 1-1 coverage with any linebacker out there. The kid can flat out run and has great hands.

What the Chiefs need along with Wilson getting back is next year they need a big-time WR. If you don't think that a big-time WR can make a difference take a look at the Eagles, they look unbeatable right now.

dirk digler
09-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Also if you don't think a rookie can't make an impact you need to start watching Roy Williams. He is ranked 7th right now in receiving yards and 3rd in receiving TD's.

tk13
09-27-2004, 04:05 PM
I don't know if Wilson would've single handedly been the solution to the WR problem, but I think the combination of having a healthy Bo, Wilson, and Parker would make life much easier on Al Saunders. I'm not so sure Wilson wouldn't have been able to stretch the field better than any of the other guys we have now.... I'm not sure that it's too crazy to say that Bo, Parker, and Wilson were probably supposed to be our three biggest "stretch the field" guys...

Andoverer
09-27-2004, 05:04 PM
I don't know if Wilson would've single handedly been the solution to the WR problem, but I think the combination of having a healthy Bo, Wilson, and Parker would make life much easier on Al Saunders. I'm not so sure Wilson wouldn't have been able to stretch the field better than any of the other guys we have now.... I'm not sure that it's too crazy to say that Bo, Parker, and Wilson were probably supposed to be our three biggest "stretch the field" guys...

That's the one reason I think the Chiefs are coming out so flat right now.
I believe those three were going to be very active in this years offense and the loss of them put the whole team in a state of disarray. I think the whole mindset of the team was spoiled because of it.