PDA

View Full Version : Keenan McCardell

bogie
09-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Will someone with more knowledge of the game please explain to me why we don't trade LJ for him?
Per DV: "There’s absolutely no truth that we ever contacted Keenan McCardell or talked to him". :hmmm:

Mark M
09-28-2004, 01:03 PM
Let's see here ...

McCardell is 34, slow, and wants #1 WR money when he's actually a solid #2.

Why would KC want to get OLDER at the WR position?

MM
~~:arrow:

chop
09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Let's see here ...

MM

I'd say that's accurate.

jiveturkey
09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Let's see here ...

MM
~~:arrow:And he hasn't practiced since June. He's not going to help us when a SB so it's not a good idea.

Gaz
09-28-2004, 01:08 PM
You ask a question and you get an answer right away.

The Planet rocks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still not interested in McCardell.

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 01:12 PM
McCardell is 3 times the wideout we have on our current roster.
<table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="100%" >
<th>Year</th>
<th>Team</th>
<th>G</th>
<th>GS</th>
<th>No</th>
<th>Yards</th>
<th>Avg</th>
<th>Lg</th>
<th>TD</th>
<th>20+</th>
<th>40+</th>
<th>FD</th>
</tr>
<td>1991</td><td>Washington Redskins</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>---</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td>
</tr>
<td>1992</td><td>Cleveland Browns</td><td>2</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>8.0</td><td>8</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td>
</tr>
<td>1993</td><td>Cleveland Browns</td><td>6</td><td>3</td><td>13</td><td>234</td><td>18.0</td><td>43</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>2</td><td>11</td>
</tr>
<td>1994</td><td>Cleveland Browns</td><td>13</td><td>3</td><td>10</td><td>182</td><td>18.2</td><td>34</td><td>0</td><td>3</td><td>0</td><td>10</td>
</tr>
<td>1995</td><td>Cleveland Browns</td><td>16</td><td>5</td><td>56</td><td>709</td><td>12.7</td><td>36</td><td>4</td><td>10</td><td>0</td><td>32</td>
</tr>
<td>1996</td><td>Jacksonville Jaguars</td><td>16</td><td>15</td><td>85</td><td>1129</td><td>13.3</td><td>52</td><td>3</td><td>8</td><td>4</td><td>57</td>
</tr>
<td>1997</td><td>Jacksonville Jaguars</td><td>16</td><td>16</td><td>85</td><td>1164</td><td>13.7</td><td>60</td><td>5</td><td>15</td><td>2</td><td>55</td>
</tr>
<td>1998</td><td>Jacksonville Jaguars</td><td>15</td><td>15</td><td>64</td><td>892</td><td>13.9</td><td>67</td><td>6</td><td>12</td><td>3</td><td>44</td>
</tr>
<td>1999</td><td>Jacksonville Jaguars</td><td>16</td><td>15</td><td>78</td><td>891</td><td>11.4</td><td>49</td><td>5</td><td>11</td><td>1</td><td>50</td>
</tr>
<td>2000</td><td>Jacksonville Jaguars</td><td>16</td><td>16</td><td>94</td><td>1207</td><td>12.8</td><td>67</td><td>5</td><td>13</td><td>3</td><td>58</td>
</tr>
<td>2001</td><td>Jacksonville Jaguars</td><td>16</td><td>16</td><td>93</td><td>1110</td><td>11.9</td><td>45</td><td>6</td><td>11</td><td>2</td><td>58</td>
</tr>
<td>2002</td><td>Tampa Bay Buccaneers</td><td>14</td><td>14</td><td>61</td><td>670</td><td>11.0</td><td>65</td><td>6</td><td>6</td><td>1</td><td>30</td>
</tr>
<td>2003</td><td>Tampa Bay Buccaneers</td><td>16</td><td>16</td><td>84</td><td>1174</td><td>14.0</td><td>76</td><td>8</td><td>13</td><td>4</td><td>53</td>
</tr>
<td>2004</td><td>Tampa Bay Buccaneers</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>---</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td>
</tr>
<td>TOTAL</td><td></td><td>162</td><td>134</td><td>724</td><td>9370</td><td>12.9</td><td>76</td><td>52</td><td>106</td><td>22</td><td>459</td>
</tr>
</table>

Problem is, this should have happened BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED.
It pisses me off to no end the fuqtards in charge blindly cling to the crap receiving corps; rather than acknowlege the weakness and make an attempt to improve. :grr:

Gaz
09-28-2004, 01:15 PM
He may well be better than our current WRs, but he is not worth the money he wants or the crappy ‘tude he brings.

No, thanks. I am glad we did not pursue him and glad that we are not pursuing him.

xoxo~
Gaz
Believer in the much-scorned “profile.”

Valiant
09-28-2004, 01:17 PM
1994 Detroit Lions 14 0 3 39 13.0 18 1 0 0 2
1995 Detroit Lions 16 13 44 590 13.4 32 8 12 0 29
1996 Detroit Lions 16 15 55 714 13.0 62 6 10 1 31
1997 Detroit Lions 16 16 80 1057 13.2 73 6 14 3 51
1998 Detroit Lions 16 16 69 1028 14.9 98 2 15 3 48
1999 Detroit Lions 16 12 80 1129 14.1 48 5 15 6 52
2000 Detroit Lions 16 16 61 788 12.9 42 3 11 1 40
2001 Detroit Lions 16 16 77 1154 15.0 76 4 15 3 58
2002 Kansas City Chiefs 14 14 29 397 13.7 30 1 4 0 25
2003 Kansas City Chiefs 16 16 50 740 14.8 50 4 10 1 36
2004 Kansas City Chiefs 3 2 12 161 13.4 31 0 1 0 9
TOTAL 159 136 560 7797 13.9 98 40 107 18 381

wow this guy had great stats before coming to us too...what about derrick alexander also.. or brett perriman...

KC Jones
09-28-2004, 01:19 PM
We need a wide receiver with speed. The kind of speed that strikes fear into opposing DBs and keeps them from stacking 9 in the box to stop Priest Holmes. Eddie Kennison had that kind of speed but I'm not sure that he still does. Even if he did he most certainly wont with a bum hamstring. That's part of the reason so many people here were calling for Richard Smith to get a chance - he was a track star and probably has that kind of speed. Samie Parker was also supposed to be a burner but I don't know where he dissappeared to.

MichaelH
09-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Morton did have great numbers before coming to KC. Could it be the Chiefs ruin wide recievers as good as we ruin running backs?? :hmmm:

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Yeah, you guys are right... we should just keep spending millions of cap dollars on a disgruntled 3rd-string RB instead. :rolleyes:

Gaz
09-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Sure. Those millions of cap dollars are far better-spent on a disgruntled 2nd WR in the twilight of his career.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not know why he did not see the value before.

el borracho
09-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Keenan McCardell? Isn't that guy retired or something?

Mark M
09-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Yeah, you guys are right... we should just keep spending millions of cap dollars on a disgruntled 3rd-string RB instead. :rolleyes:

So, instead, you suggest that the Chiefs should spend millions of cap dollars on a disgruntled #2 WR who thinks he's a #1?

:spock:

If they would've cut Morton and made a trade for McCardell at 1 a.m. on June 2nd I'd been okay with it.

But, as of right now, there is no way that he could come in and contribute anything more than Horn, Parker or even Smith could. It takes time for a QB and WR to get in synch, and would be at least 4 weeks before McCardell had even a basic grasp of what is one of the most complex offensive systems in the NFL.

If the Chiefs are going to make any trade, they need to either get any or a combination of:
1.) a younger, faster WR (at least that way KC would have a deep threat, rather than yet another possession WR),
b.) a MLB (rather than a converted DE/OLB)
iii.) a CB (that is NOT a converted safety)
IV.) draft picks (conditional on how LJ performs)

Anything else isn't worth it at this point IMHO.

MM
~~:shrug:

jiveturkey
09-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Yeah, you guys are right... we should just keep spending millions of cap dollars on a disgruntled 3rd-string RB instead. :rolleyes:There's no point in swapping turds.

If we have to get rid of Johnson then we need someone young and with potential or try and get a first day draft pick.

bogie
09-28-2004, 01:28 PM
He may well be better than our current WRs, but he is not worth the money he wants or the crappy ‘tude he brings.

No, thanks. I am glad we did not pursue him and glad that we are not pursuing him.

xoxo~
Gaz
Believer in the much-scorned “profile.”

I don't want the crappy 'tude either. However, I do think a WR that's a threat will open up and add an immediate positive impact to our O. No offence to our current WR's but I don't think they're genuine threats. Why does DV seem so set on sticking to and not trying to add additional talent to our weaker positions.

Mark M
09-28-2004, 01:30 PM
I don't want the crappy 'tude either. However, I do think a WR that's a threat will open up and add an immediate positive impact to our O. No offence to our current WR's but I don't think they're genuine threats. Why does DV seem so set on sticking to and not trying to add additional talent to our weaker positions.

It would be great to see a WR who is a threat and could open up and add an immediate positive impact to KC's O.

Unfortunately, McCardell is NOT that WR.

MM
~~:shake:

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 01:32 PM
You guys are so full of it. When did McCardell suddenly become 'slow'? He certainly wasn't last season - when he ranked 8th overall in the league in receiving.... that, with BRAD JOHNSON at QB no less.

Yeah, makes sense to want a young superstar.... but where in the #&$^ do you suppose we're going to magically obtain one of those, huh?

The guy would be an instant upgrade at an area of need. He wouldn't be a "#2" in KC... here' he's a #1 with ease.

But I can see why you'd rather have a disgruntled 3rd-string RB with virtually zero NFL experience and one good college season under his belt instead of adding a player that could make an immediate impact and maybe turn the season around. :rolleyes:

bogie
09-28-2004, 01:37 PM
It would be great to see a WR who is a threat and could open up and add an immediate positive impact to KC's O.

Unfortunately, McCardell is NOT that WR.

MM
Isn't he better than nothing?

Mark M
09-28-2004, 01:39 PM
You guys are so full of it. When did McCardell suddenly become 'slow'? He certainly wasn't last season - when he ranked 8th overall in the league in receiving.... that, with BRAD JOHNSON at QB no less.

Yeah, makes sense to want a young superstar.... but where in the #&$^ do you suppose we're going to magically obtain one of those, huh?

The guy would be an instant upgrade at an area of need. He wouldn't be a "#2" in KC... here' he's a #1 with ease.

But I can see why you'd rather have a disgruntled 3rd-string RB with virtually zero NFL experience and one good college season under his belt instead of adding a player that could make an immediate impact and maybe turn the season around. :rolleyes:

Dude ... mix in some decaf.

Please tell us how he would make an immediate impact after missing all of the OTA, training camp, and the first four weeks (at least) of the year?

The guy isn't a gamebreaker like Moss, TO or Harrison. And he WASN'T fast last year. He got those numbers because he'd played in the same system, with the same QB, for two years. Hell, Morton and Green have been together for two years, Morton missed TC, and he and Green STILL aren't clicking correctly.

The KC offense is built on timing routes. It takes time for a WR and QB to get their timing down. That's just the way it is.

If you think McCardell is suddenly going to solve all of the Chiefs' problems, I've got a bridge in New York I'd like to sell ya.

And, please, show me where I posted that we should keep LJ. I say trade him, but get something of value for a 2nd year, 1st round pick.

And a 34-year-old WR who wants $4 million a year is NOT something of value.

MM

Mark M
09-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Isn't he better than nothing?
I never said KC should get nothing for LJ. Please go back and read my posts.

MM

philfree
09-28-2004, 01:42 PM
McCardell has his chance to sign here and he chose Tampa Bay and now he wants top dollar pay from them so he's holding out. Now if he would sign a modest contract I'd be interested. He won't though so I say no thanks. If he'd play for his current contract I'd say yes but we won't so no.

What we need to do with LJ is trade him to someone like Arizona for a 2nd round pick in next years draft. That will be an early pick in round two so that's good value for the 'Diaper Dandy'. Then we turn around and trade that pick to the Pack for McKenzie. (Although I just read he was supposedly injured this week in practice. Some have said he faked it) We end up with a CB in his prime to go with Warfield and going into next year we won't have a CB issue to deal with and can focus our attention elsewhere.

PhilFree :arrow:

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 01:42 PM
That's why I pointed out that the move should have been made months ago - before the season started. Timing is obviously an issue - it will be with anyone we bring in.

McCardell is an available upgrade at a position in dire need of upgrading (I'm getting hoarse from screaming about our shit receiving corps... it's been what, 30 years now?)
We have a 3rd stringer with little/no value to the club... who also happens to play a position of need for TB. Hint: they own the rights to McCardell's contract.

Makes sense.

That's why we won't do it.

bogie
09-28-2004, 01:45 PM
I never said KC should get nothing for LJ. Please go back and read my posts.

MM

I mean McCardell. Isn't McCardell better than nothing? I believe a strong O can carry us farther this year because our D is improving. I think we should improve the WR position, so isn't McCardell better than nothing?

Mark M
09-28-2004, 01:46 PM
That's why I pointed out that the move should have been made months ago - before the season started. Timing is obviously an issue - it will be with anyone we bring in.

McCardell is an available upgrade at a position in dire need of upgrading (I'm getting hoarse from screaming about our shit receiving corps... it's been what, 30 years now?)
We have a 3rd stringer with little/no value to the club... who also happens to play a position of need for TB. Hint: they own the rights to McCardell's contract.

Makes sense.

That's why we won't do it.

No, it doesn't make sense.

Why trade a young player who hardly counts anything against the cap for a player on the downside of his career who suddenly wants one last huge payday? Just to make the trade? Just so KC can have another aging WR when they need younger WRs?

Trade LJ for a younger defensive player, a younger WR, or draft picks. That makes the most sense for the club in the long run.

Of course, that's just my opinion ... but it's the right one.

MM
~~:p ;)

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Please tell us how he would make an immediate impact after missing all of the OTA, training camp, and the first four weeks (at least) of the year?

Easily - he has twice the skills as any of our current scrubs. He's proven that much over a long, successful career. Look at the numbers - he has consistently performed at a high level everywhere he's been.

The guy isn't a gamebreaker like Moss, TO or Harrison. And he WASN'T fast last year. He got those numbers because he'd played in the same system, with the same QB, for two years. Hell, Morton and Green have been together for two years, Morton missed TC, and he and Green STILL aren't clicking correctly.

Comparing him to Morton, guy who played opposite Herman Moore (a REAL '#1' by comparison), is moot - Morton was always a #2 and that's all he has been here (or worse).

No one is trying to put the guy up on a pedestal; make him out to one of the uber-elite (Moss/TO/Harrison). He IS a definite upgrade.

tk13
09-28-2004, 01:49 PM
I'd be a little more willing to hear a LJ for McCardell trade. Staring at an 0-3 record, no way to do I want to give up any more draft picks to just get older though. The Eagles already might be robbing us blind of a high third round draft pick if this season doesn't turn around..

That said, I don't think he's suddenly going to magically make us get out of an 0-3 hole.

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Why trade a young player who hardly counts anything against the cap for a player on the downside of his career

Are you serious? CONTRIBUTION. LJ provides nada, McCardell comes in and becomes the top wideout with ease.... is in on EVERY OFFENSIVE PLAY.

LJ currently has no value on our roster. McCardell would have immense value. It's a no brainer.

Mark M
09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
I mean McCardell. Isn't McCardell better than nothing? I believe a strong O can carry us farther this year because our D is improving. I think we should improve the WR position, so isn't McCardell better than nothing?

IMHO, he's not.

Why not see what the younger players can do? They're already familiar with the offense, are faster, and have at least worked with Green.

Just trying a stop-gap measure isn't going suddenly make the Chiefs Super Bowl contenders. And, frankly, anyone who thinks so needs to truly analyze the situation.

They are 0-3 because of penalties, bad play calls and poor execution on both sides. They're not 0-3 simply because they don't have McCardell.

MM

tk13
09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Easily - he has twice the skills as any of our current scrubs. He's proven that much over a long, successful career. Look at the numbers - he has consistently performed at a high level everywhere he's been.

Comparing him to Morton, guy who played opposite Herman Moore (a REAL '#1' by comparison), is moot - Morton was always a #2 and that's all he has been here (or worse).

No one is trying to put the guy up on a pedestal; make him out to one of the uber-elite (Moss/TO/Harrison). He IS a definite upgrade.
To be fair, McCardell always was option #2 behind Jimmy Smith in Jacksonsville... and was WR #2 behind Keyshawn in Tampa... although last year that could be debatable when Keyshawn went off the deep end, the rest of his career before that I think it's very safe to say he was a #2 WR.

bogie
09-28-2004, 01:53 PM
If not McCardell, who? We need to fix this now don't we? Hey, I think we can still have a great season. If we improve at WR (now) I think we can have a better season.

Mark M
09-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Are you serious? CONTRIBUTION. LJ provides nada, McCardell comes in and becomes the top wideout with ease.... is in on EVERY OFFENSIVE PLAY.

You have absolutely no proof that McCardell can come in and contribute immediately. In fact, odds are that he won't. He doesn't know the offense, isn't fast enough to just run fly patterns and to the post every single down (like Moss did his first year), and it will take several weeks to get in synch with Green.

That is a no-brainer, and I can't understand why you can't see that. You're a smart guy and should realize that.

When you factor in the fact that the guy wants $4 million a year, and there is no way in freaking hell they should bring him in here.

LJ currently has no value on our roster. McCardell would have immense value. It's a no brainer.

LJ has more value as trade bait for a MLB, CB or draft picks than he does for a 34-year-old WR who wants $4 million/year. THAT is the no-brainer.

MM

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 01:57 PM
McCardell & Smith both caught a ton of passes in Jax. I don't know if I'd consider one over the other as the #1... tho' Jax did after '01 (Smith had 100+ catches... Keenan had nearly 100 as well :eek: )

I would never, ever, under any circumstances consider McCardell the #2 to Meshawn!

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 02:01 PM
LJ has more value as trade bait for a MLB,
Who?

CB
Who?

or draft picks
:spock:
Yeah, I'm sure teams are beating down the door to give us pick<i>s</i> for a 3rd string RB who Vermail just called a baby in public. Plus, we've done <i>so well</i> with our recent picks, eh?

than he does for a 34-year-old WR who wants $4 million/year. THAT is the no-brainer.
Combine LJ's current salary w/ the 2.4mil of Keenan's salary, and you come to about $4mil... we barely increase our cap number; which is still reportedly 6mil UNDER AND we swap a guy who does nothing for the team for a guy with the potential to lead the team in receiving.

Again, a no brainer.

tk13
09-28-2004, 02:04 PM
McCardell & Smith both caught a ton of passes in Jax. I don't know if I'd consider one over the other as the #1... tho' Jax did after '01 (Smith had 100+ catches... Keenan had nearly 100 as well :eek: )

I would never, ever, under any circumstances consider McCardell the #2 to Meshawn!
No way, you're just trying to support your argument I guess... but that's just not true. Last year was the first time in either Jax or Tampa that McCardell led his team in recieving yards.... and that might have been only because Keyshawn got axed. It's not a stretch to say he was a #2 option behind Keyshawn.... Johnson had a 1000 yard season in McCardell's first season in Tampa, and was on his way to having another last year.

Mark M
09-28-2004, 02:05 PM
If not McCardell, who? We need to fix this now don't we? Hey, I think we can still have a great season. If we improve at WR (now) I think we can have a better season.

That's the problem with your (and HC's) logic. Let me repeat:

THE CHIEFS ARE NOT 0-3 BECAUSE OF THEIR WRs.

They are 0-3 because of bad playcalling, penalties and execution.

If the defense can not bite on the same play every single time (the same play that killed them in Denver last year), Denver would've had less success. If McCleon doesn't flail and throw himself at Griffin -- and just makes a damn tackle -- KC would've had better success. If Barber and Biesel aren't consistently out of position against both Denver and Carolina, KC would've had a better chance to win. If the defense could tackle for a damn, they may have beaten Carolina and Denver. If the defense could sack a QB, rather than dance with him, Carolina would've had one less TD. If KC gives the ball to Priest more than 16 times, the may have beaten Carolina. If Green throws it to Smith the 15 times he was wide freaking open (I was at the game, and I saw it myself), KC would've had more success against Carolina. If KC kicks the FG against Houston, they are at least tied and go into overtime. If KC runs the ball on the goalline, they may have been up by 15, instead of tied. If Green throws it out of the endzone, they may have had a chance to be up by at least 8 against Houston. If Stills lets up, rather than throwing Carr to the turf, KC may have beaten Houston. If McCleon doesn't put his hands in Johnson's face, KC may have beaten Houston.I could continue, but I think you see my point.

Adding a 34-year-old WR isn't going to magically turn around KC's season. Adding a stud MLB, a pass-rushing DE, shut-down CB or true burner #1 WR might.

Unfortunately, none of those are available.

MM

Mark M
09-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Combine LJ's current salary w/ the 2.4mil of Keenan's salary, and you come to about $4mil... we barely increase our cap number; which is still reportedly 6mil UNDER AND we swap a guy who does nothing for the team for a guy with the potential to lead the team in receiving.

Again, a no brainer.

That's the flaw in your argument right there.

McCardell isn't with TB right now because he wants $4 MILLION PER YEAR. Not $2 million, not $4 million over two years, but $4 MILLION PER YEAR.

Sorry, but IMHO, not signing a guy to that kind of contract is the no-brainer.

MM
~~:shrug:

Eleazar
09-28-2004, 02:11 PM
a new mccardell thread without news is cause for the nuthooks.

tk13
09-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Just to clear one more thing up looking at the stats, McCardell had never led his team in recieving until last year.... when Johnnie Morton came here, he led Detroit in recieving yards in 3 of his last 4 seasons there. His last year before coming here, he had 74 catches for over 1100 yards... the next two best recievers were in the 28 catch-280 yards range. I think you could make a pretty good case that Morton has been more of a #1 WR than McCardell throughout his career.

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that's right... our being 0-3 has absolutely NOTHING to do with personnel! :rolleyes:

Denver showed the world exactly how to stop the KC O: mug Gonzalez, stop the screens to Holmes, and force Trent Green to beat you through the air to the crap KC receivers.

Carolina followed the plan... worked for them too.

I'll grant you the Houston game... coaching was gawd-awful, which led directly to the loss.

Adding a 34-year-old WR isn't going to magically turn around KC's season.
It might. Of course, we <i>could</i> just sit around and do NOTHING to improve. Oh wait....

FloridaChief
09-28-2004, 02:19 PM
This old thread brought up again--why?

I listened to the Bucs pre-game show Sunday night. Here's part of an interview w/ Bruce Allen:

(Paraphasing)
Reporter: Any news on the KM front.
Allen: No change since last week.
Reporter: Any possibility of a trade...?
Allen: Not one team has contacted us about acquiring the services of KM--not one...

HC_Chief
09-28-2004, 02:21 PM
You're right... the point is moot. It's obvious KC isn't interested.

Mark M
09-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Yeah, that's right... our being 0-3 has absolutely NOTHING to do with personnel! :rolleyes:

Yeah ... I guess KC being 0-3 has everything to do with KC not trading for a greedy 34-year-old receiver. :rolleyes:

Denver showed the world exactly how to stop the KC O: mug Gonzalez, stop the screens to Holmes, and force Trent Green to beat you through the air to the crap KC receivers.

Carolina followed the plan... worked for them too.

That's funny ... that's been the plan for the last two years. It's not like it's new.

The problem in the Denver game was the defense. Saying otherwise is being blind.

The problem in the Carolina game was (surprise!) the defense.

If KC had signed some defensive help, maybe, just maybe they wouldn't have been gashed for over 300 yards combined to a 2nd year guy and a career backup.

Or are you of the belief that KC should just continue to try and outscore the opponent?

Yes, KC's receivers leave a lot to be desired. But, IMHO, the problem has more to do with the fact that the WRs were hurt during TC. This means that Green doesn't have the timing needed with those WRs in this offense. Adding a player this late will only cause more of the same.

You're also not taking into account the fact that both Denver and Carolina have outstanding defenses. You have no way to prove that having McCardell would've guaranteed victories.

I'll grant you the Houston game... coaching was gawd-awful, which led directly to the loss.

Well, at least we can agree on that. :)

It might. Of course, we could just sit around and do NOTHING to improve. Oh wait....

If making a move just to make a move is your philosophy, then that's your choice. It seems awfully short-sighted, though.

I understand your frustration with the lack of movement during the offseason. I understand that unloading LJ would be great for the team. But I'd rather KC do the smart thing not just for this year, but for a few years down the road.

We'll just have to agree to disagree ... either that, or I'll have to prepare myself for some nuthooks.

MM
~~:eek: :)

Wile_E_Coyote
09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
If LJ is a worthless 3rd string RB & McKardell is number 1 WR. This is an even trade? Tampa Bay doesn't need an RB, they have a guy coming off the injury list

Mark M
09-28-2004, 02:42 PM
If LJ is a worthless 3rd string RB & McKardell is number 1 WR & this is an even trade? Tampa Bay doesn't need an RB, they have a guy coming off the injury list

HC and I are having a very good discussion here, and we don't need you muddying up the thing with rational thought.

Take your logic elsewhere.

MM
~~:D

Wile_E_Coyote
09-28-2004, 02:45 PM
I think TB is needing O-line help, badly. Bober might be traded

Mr. Laz
09-28-2004, 02:54 PM
IF we really didn't have the money to sign anyone new during the offseason, what makes anyone think we will have the money now?

Lamar/Carl/Vermeil made the decision to stand pat, now the three stooges have to live with that decision.

ChiefFripp
09-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Next season is the rebuilding season and this season is only to insure we'll have good draft picks for the rebuild. Chiefs 2006 baby!

Oh wait, no Priest...damn

KC Kings
09-28-2004, 03:06 PM
The chances of anybody coming into KC at week 4 and being a major contributer are slim to nill. Look at the defensive line, they have had six month under Gunther, and they still improve every week as they get used to the system. A shut down corner paying man-man every play would be able to jump right in, if they play man-man every down.

There is also talk about Richard Smith being a "track star", but that doesn't mean jack if you can't catch the ball. Was it one or two practice squads that olympic track star John Capel was recently on, that meant nothing because he could run a route or catch the ball.

The Chiefs need to suck it up, realize that they screwed the pooch not signing anybody in the off season, work on the problems we are having now. I say do not trade Johnson. The only way I wil be happy is if we trade him for a 1st or second round pick, and that won't happen.

As for Johnsons poor attitude... he is a fricking 1st round pick, and was used as a pawn by the Chiefs. Due to no fault of his own, DV has been busting his balls since day one. I am tired of hearing people say "being a first round pick doesn't guarantee a starting job", and I say BS!!! What other team every uses the first pick to draft a player that don't intend on starting? Simms showed up to camp, late, fat, and out of shape. He was immediately given the starting job, has not looked impressive and continues to start.

Would LJ have been a bust? Who knows, but 99% of every other 1st round picks get the opportunity to make or break themselves. He got a chitty end of a deal and has a right to bitch about it.

We also have the best TE in the NFL, and they had no problem saying that 2nd pick Kris Wilson would be getting major snaps in games, had he stayed healthy.

Drafting LJ was a mistake, but trading him for the available options would also be a mistake, and 2 wrongs don't make a right. Within 2 years both Priest and Vermiel will be gone, and we may be glad we have a 1st round RB sitting on the back shelf.

KC Kings
09-28-2004, 03:28 PM
IF we really didn't have the money to sign anyone new during the offseason, what makes anyone think we will have the money now?

Lamar/Carl/Vermeil made the decision to stand pat, now the three stooges have to live with that decision.

If you were Lamar, and 2 seasons ago spent a lot of money to bring in a lot of Defensive free agents, only to have the worst defense in the NFl, would you be quick to spend your money on the same mistakes again? Or would you see if some of the young guys can develope into players?

I am not saying I would have not signed anybody, but I understand why he wouldn't want to. We could be in big trouble in the next few years With Roaf and Shields getting up there in age, Trent and Tony G and T Rich not far behind, and having a still crappy defense. I guess even if all of those players retire next year, we are garanteed not to have a worse record than we do right now.

Rausch
09-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Would LJ have been a bust? Who knows, but 99% of every other 1st round picks get the opportunity to make or break themselves. He got a chitty end of a deal and has a right to bitch about it.

Uh, Deuce McAlister?

2bikemike
09-28-2004, 05:36 PM

He also has to be a team player shut his mouth and show with his skill that he his better than Blaylock for the number 2 spot. Running his mouth does nothing to enhance his chances.

Why hasn't he unseated Blaylock? I find it very hard to believe that the coaches are not fielding the best player for each position. Regardless of personality conflicts.

morphius
09-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure adding a guy who didn't make it to training camp is going to be in any shape to help us. Add in the fact that he is 34 and without the extra conditioning may be even slower, then there is the problem that he doesn't know the offense and that very few guys have ever done much after going for their last big pay day.

I guess I just don't want any part of signing him.

2bikemike
09-28-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure adding a guy who didn't make it to training camp is going to be in any shape to help us. Add in the fact that he is 34 and without the extra conditioning may be even slower, then there is the problem that he doesn't know the offense and that very few guys have ever done much after going for their last big pay day.

I guess I just don't want any part of signing him.

I agree. He is not the answer for our WR woes.

Mr. Laz
09-28-2004, 06:33 PM
If you were Lamar, and 2 seasons ago spent a lot of money to bring in a lot of Defensive free agents, only to have the worst defense in the NFl, would you be quick to spend your money on the same mistakes again? Or would you see if some of the young guys can develope into players?

I am not saying I would have not signed anybody, but I understand why he wouldn't want to. We could be in big trouble in the next few years With Roaf and Shields getting up there in age, Trent and Tony G and T Rich not far behind, and having a still crappy defense. I guess even if all of those players retire next year, we are garanteed not to have a worse record than we do right now.

fine

....then no soup(erbowl) for you

or lamar

he gets what he earns

Ralphy Boy
09-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Uh, Deuce McAlister?

That brings up multiple scenarios. I've heard more than once that the new coaching staff never really cared for Ricky Williams or his antics and for all we know, it could have been their intention from the start to see what McAllister was made of and if he was good as advertised trade Williams. It looks now like pure genius because Williams is a flake. Having said that, at the time that they drafted him, they denied that it was a possibility & kept Williams happy until they traded him. But the bottom line is that they felt his talent was too good to pass up and even if that is the only reason, it is the best reason. Either way, the only similarity between LJ & Deuce was that New Orleans offense went in the crapper when Williams went down with injury and like us they didn't care to be in that situation if it happened again.

I'm starting to think that there is little to no reason to trade LJ at this point, but wouldn't really care if it happened either way.