ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

kstater 02-24-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake5676 (Post 10450275)
I'm not so sure they would've taken the QO if a do-over was possible, but I'd imagine some of the teams with interest had thrown out numbers similar to the Garza and Nolasco deals earlier in winter and they were told no. Which they would most definitely play ball with now if a second chance presented itself.

I just don't see that type of deal out there for him if he sits till June. There's no way a team could verify his conditioning and preparedness to throw that money at a guy sitting at home for so long.

alnorth 02-24-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 10450412)
I just don't see that type of deal out there for him if he sits till June. There's no way a team could verify his conditioning and preparedness to throw that money at a guy sitting at home for so long.

I think the June plan would be only if he had to take a one-year deal, and no one was offering more than about 8 million like Nelson Cruz. In that case, it might make sense to sit out till June because someone will probably be willing to, at the absolute very worst, offer 8 million for 2/3 of the season when compensation drops off.

Also, I don't see why they can't verify conditioning. Obviously they wont be sitting on the couch, they'll keep in shape and stay with a throwing program, pitch simulated games, and if several teams are interested around May, they can start kicking the tires and have private workouts while waiting for the draft.

alnorth 02-24-2014 04:46 PM

Here is the official wording of the new home plate collision rule. MLB and MLBPA will meet again before the 2015 season to see if any adjustments are needed.

Quote:

A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the Umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the Umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball).

Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the Umpire, the catcher, without possession of the ball, blocks the pathway of the runner, the Umpire shall call or signal the runner safe.

alnorth 02-24-2014 04:49 PM

So, if the catcher has the ball, then he can block the plate. If you are the runner, too bad, there's no way for you to score, turn around and run to 3rd.

Also, this play will be reviewable if for example the umpire says the catcher blocked the plate without the ball, and you think he did have the ball when he got hit.

keg in kc 02-24-2014 05:01 PM

I'm reading that as saying you can still "deviate" if you're trying to avoid contact, meaning you could still try to slide around them and avoid the tag. At least that's what I'm getting from "may not deviate...in order to initiate contact with the catcher".

keg in kc 02-24-2014 05:06 PM

Here's the full rule, plus a link to a bit more on it from mlb.com:
Quote:

OFFICIAL BASEBALL RULE 7.13

Collisions at home plate

A runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate). If, in the judgment of the umpire, a runner attempting to score initiates contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate) in such a manner, the umpire shall declare the runner out (even if the player covering home plate loses possession of the ball). In such circumstances, the umpire shall call the ball dead, and all other baserunners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the collision.

Rule 7.13 comment: The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner's lowering of the shoulder, or the runner's pushing through with his hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of Rule 7.13. If the runner slides into the plate in an appropriate manner, he shall not be adjudged to have violated Rule 7.13. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner's buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a head first slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if his body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher.

Unless the catcher is in possession of the ball, the catcher cannot block the pathway of the runner as he is attempting to score. If, in the judgment of the umpire, the catcher without possession of the ball blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall call or signal the runner safe. Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

duncan_idaho 02-24-2014 05:26 PM

I don't like that rule, then... the runner has to give up and allow himself to either be tagged out or run-down if the catcher gets the ball before he gets there and is blocking the plate? If the catcher is going to try to block the plate, the runner should have the ability to run him over.

I mean, in most cases an athletic player will be able to try a hook slide. But... takes some of the human element out, in my opinion.

THe rest of the rule is fine, though.

stonedstooge 02-24-2014 05:31 PM

Next up, if a catcher catches the ball with both feet on home plate before the runner reaches home plate, the runner is automatically out

Prison Bitch 02-24-2014 05:37 PM

There should be no blocking of any base. It would absurd if someone tried to steal 2B and some goon was there full-on blocking the base creating a collision. Catchers should be allowed to use their glove only to block the plate but no other part of their body should impede the runner's progress.

BlackHelicopters 02-24-2014 06:00 PM

If it means keeping Salvy healthy than I am all for it.

C3HIEF3S 02-24-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 10451088)

This is my exact same stance on the rule.

alnorth 02-24-2014 06:28 PM

Yeah, I'm not a traditionalist on this, I'm willing to give the new rule a go, I have no desire to see an intentional collision at home. A rule is very hard to write since you have to acknowledge that the catcher might get drawn into the running lane by an errant throw, but if the catcher has the ball standing in front of the plate staring you down, I don't feel you have the God-given right to blow him up. You either need to pull off a miraculous Houdini move where you somehow avoid all contact, or you need to turn around.

keg in kc 02-24-2014 06:42 PM

As some talking head on espn said earlier, it's basically a legal issue as much as anything. We're in the concussion era of sports, in a general sense, and there isn't much choice when it comes to limiting collisions at this point. Hell, they're even trying to develop helmets for pitchers.

Coach 02-24-2014 07:59 PM

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/4047...tocomplete.jpg

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/2/2...ons-al-central

stonedstooge 02-24-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 10451088)

I'm more worried that Salvy find a damn mask that will keep him from getting concussed from foul balls. That seems to be his Achilles heel