ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers FCC Approves New Net Neutrality Rules (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290904)

GloucesterChief 02-26-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 11349750)
So explain how Texas went from being below average in electricity costs to way above average after electricity was deregulated in Texas?

My electrical rates are fine. I shop around but I haven't found them more expensive than say Northern Virginia. Better service too. Power went out more frequently in Northern Virginia than here in Houston. Much more frequently where I grew up in the sticks in Hampton Roads.

KC native 02-26-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11349761)
They are when they are allowed to do so. Every company wants to eliminate their competition or reduce their market share. Currently, there are not allowed to do so in most places due to government intervention in the market.

You are complaining about a problem caused by government (local) but blaming the free market and running to government (federal) to further regulate (restrict) the free market.

The problem is government not the ISPs.

You're a ****ing moron. The ISPs have refrained from competing with each other to protect their margins.

The ISPs are the problem.

It's even worse when you look at the billions in tax breaks they were given specifically to run fiber to houses and they've come no where close to what they promised they would when they asked for those tax breaks.

KC native 02-26-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11349764)
My electrical rates are fine. I shop around but I haven't found them more expensive than say Northern Virginia. Better service too. Power went out more frequently in Northern Virginia than here in Houston. Much more frequently where I grew up in the sticks in Hampton Roads.

LMAO

Anecdote bullshit.

Electricity in Texas is less reliable than before deregulation. It also went from being below the national average to above the national average.

Competition and deregulation has failed for utilities. But hey free markets solve everything in your fringe nut job view.

DaneMcCloud 02-26-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11349754)
So it is not that Guitar Center provided a service or product that people wanted to buy and found at least similar enough to their smaller competition that people didn't mind?

They suddenly got all this money out of the ether right?

Please, if people didn't like Guitar Center no matter how many stores they put out of business they wouldn't be making money.

You may not personally like the results of the free market but that doesn't mean it isn't working.

Their purchasing power afforded them discounts on the same exact instruments that the Mom & Pop competitors sold, which allowed them to undercut their competitors until they were forced to close their doors.

Once their competitors were gone, they raised their prices.

Customers lose.

petegz28 02-26-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11349787)
Their purchasing power afforded them discounts on the same exact instruments that the Mom & Pop competitors sold, which allowed them to undercut their competitors until they were forced to close their doors.

Customers lose.

Isn't that pretty much capitalism? I'm not saying I like what they did or what Wal-Mart does, etc. but still....

DaneMcCloud 02-26-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

:facepalm:

DaneMcCloud 02-26-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 11349792)
Isn't that pretty much capitalism? I'm not saying I like what they did or what Wal-Mart does, etc. but still....

I think it's Monopolization, not capitalism.

And I will never, ever and have never shopped at a WalMart or Sam's for that very reason. I'd rather pay a little more elsewhere than patronize them.

petegz28 02-26-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11349800)
I think it's Monopolization, not capitalism.

And I will never, ever and have never shopped at a WalMart or Sam's for that very reason. I'd rather pay a little more elsewhere than patronize them.

I'm a Costco person but that's a separate issue. You call it monopolization but that's what capitalism ultimately breeds to one degree or another.

Don Corlemahomes 02-26-2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11349724)
I'm sure the end result will have you packing heat while surfing the 'net.

You can never be too safe.

LMAO

DaneMcCloud 02-26-2015 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 11349807)
I'm a Costco person but that's a separate issue. You call it monopolization but that's what capitalism ultimately breeds to one degree or another.

It's also the same reason why the City of Los Angeles won't allow Walmarts to operate. There are too many Mom & Pops that would be put of out business. I'm pretty sure that had they known that Guitar Center was going to wipe out scores of musical instrument stores across SoCal, they'd have done something about that, too.

I'm all about local business, when possible. Screw the Private Equity firms.

GloucesterChief 02-26-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11349787)

Customers lose.

And if they raise their prices too much then more competition comes in. Like you said before, they are already fighting internet competition.

Now the question is was Guitar Centers prices after the mom and pop went out of business still lower than the mom and pop stores price? If so consumers still won.

DaneMcCloud 02-26-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 11349825)
And if they raise their prices too much then more competition comes in. Like you said before, they are already fighting internet competition.

Now the question is was Guitar Centers prices after the mom and pop went out of business still lower than the mom and pop stores price? If so consumers still won.

You're completely out of your element and I have no desire to discuss this with you.

KC native 02-26-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11349836)
You're completely out of your element and I have no desire to discuss this with you.

That's how fringers are.

Notice how quickly he moved past the real world failure of deregulation of utilities.

mr. tegu 02-26-2015 09:05 PM

FCC Approves New Net Neutrality Rules

Quote:

They are when they are allowed to do so. Every company wants to eliminate their competition or reduce their market share. Currently, there are not allowed to do so in most places due to government intervention in the market.

You are complaining about a problem caused by government (local) but blaming the free market and running to government (federal) to further regulate (restrict) the free market.

I find it hard to believe you are in favor of processes that would allow company x to pay an ISP more than their competitors to keep company y's product down as an inferior product by limiting the speed to company y's product. A new innovative competitor would have no chance to really even get started.

Dave Lane 02-26-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11349473)
No shit. Its to ensure the little guy or start up gets a fair shot at success and not crushed before they ever get going by a huge conglomerate.

This is good for entrepreneurs, small businesses. Why is Fox and the right wing not happy?

Ummm you must be living in the 80's when the GOP actually paid lip service to being proponents of small business.