ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet What happened to GoChiefs? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=299186)

DaneMcCloud 04-04-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor (Post 12163852)
Maybe that's one way to measure quality.

Sure, I can see that and agree that it's been much more enjoyable for threads to mostly stay on topic without that distraction.

But I don't think that actual quality of football threads has necessarily improved. It's not like Claynus made people dumber, he just made every thread unbearable to read.

Sorter 04-04-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 12163851)
I know, right? That's like me bitching about it.

But you're funny.

I mean, while I don't agree with all of his contributions, I enjoy reading Cochise's thoughts in the D.C. on my bi-weekly visit.

I just haven't seen anything original from Cochise regarding football.

jd1020 04-04-2016 04:05 PM

Mother**** AS11.

That is all.

Eleazar 04-04-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 12163838)
I do find it interesting that a poster such as Cochise that rarely contributes or provides anything original regarding football is so concerned about the quality of football threads.

What's so interesting about that? Many people read threads without posting in them. It has nothing to do with whether or not they can observe the quality of that thread.

SAUTO 04-04-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 12163752)
Clay was a great first step. Now if the people who only post "you're a dumbass" in every response could get their shit together maybe we'd be on to something here.

You're a dumbass

Eleazar 04-04-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12163859)
Sure, I can see that and agree that it's been much more enjoyable for threads to mostly stay on topic without that distraction.

But I don't think that actual quality of football threads has necessarily improved. It's not like Claynus made people dumber, he just made every thread unbearable to read.

He just trolls with the opposite of the majority opinion. It's been the same thing for ages. Simple attention whoring. The subjects are immaterial.

SAUTO 04-04-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12163804)
You and I may be in the minority, but I second this. Plus, I apply it to Hootie as well. Some people like the drama and entertainment they bring, but Clay and Hoot just gum up the works for me. Hootie doesn't troll, and his knowledge is good, but his style is just to overwhelm everything. I've enjoyed this place a lot more with both of them gone.

Agreed 100,000%

TimBone 04-04-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12163804)
You and I may be in the minority, but I second this. Plus, I apply it to Hootie as well. Some people like the drama and entertainment they bring, but Clay and Hoot just gum up the works for me. Hootie doesn't troll, and his knowledge is good, but his style is just to overwhelm everything. I've enjoyed this place a lot more with both of them gone.

Overwhelming is a great description of hootie.

Sorter 04-04-2016 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12163877)
What's so interesting about that? Many people read threads without posting in them. It has nothing to do with whether or not they can observe the quality of that thread.

I guess it's my wiring. I suppose you could blame a higher power.

I suppose its interesting to me because I can't fathom why someone would spend a relatively large amount of time bitching about the quality of football posts on this site and yet never doing anything to alter that. I mean, (and I know this is going to come off exceptionally ****y) after I bitch about the quantity or quality of football related topics on this board, I usually put up a thread or detailed post. That doesn't seem to be the case for most people here that complain a lot.

DaFace 04-04-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 12163918)
I guess it's my wiring. I suppose you could blame a higher power.

I suppose its interesting to me because I can't fathom why someone would spend a relatively large amount of time bitching about the quality of football posts on this site and yet never doing anything to alter that. I mean, (and I know this is going to come off exceptionally ****y) after I bitch about the quantity or quality of football related topics on this board, I usually put up a thread or detailed post. That doesn't seem to be the case for most people here that complain a lot.

The world is made up of content creators and content consumers. On a forum the line gets pretty blurry, but there are still many people who primarily read others' opinions while others are in it primarily to dive deeply into the discussion itself.

To try and draw a parallel to the news media, Clay is like CP's Whitlock. He has some good takes sometimes, sure, but more often than not, all he's doing is drawing attention away from all of the other, better writers out there. And why would another good writer join when the "brand" of the paper is being driven so dominantly by a guy like that? The hope is that, by getting rid of the Whitlocks, it's a better place for guys like Terez Paylors to thrive.

Though I'm by no means a lurker, I've never played a down of football in my life, so I yield to those with better knowledge than I on many topics. I don't THINK that makes my opinion less valuable than those who do contribute a lot to those threads since my hope is that CP becomes a better place for people with solid takes to have their opinions heard.

Bugeater 04-04-2016 04:47 PM

I read the football threads far more than I post in them, but I've also learned that once a thread has hit about 50 or so posts it's more than likely become a pissing match and there's no good information being offered anymore. So I really don't care who's posting in them at that point.

Easy 6 04-04-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12163817)
But the old ways of learning the ropes before you just start unloading on the board is gone.

Quite right

Sorter 04-04-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12163928)
The world is made up of content creators and content consumers. On a forum the line gets pretty blurry, but there are still many people who primarily read others' opinions while others are in it primarily to dive deeply into the discussion itself.

To try and draw a parallel to the news media, Clay is like CP's Whitlock. He has some good takes sometimes, sure, but more often than not, all he's doing is drawing attention away from all of the other, better writers out there. And why would another good writer join when the "brand" of the paper is being driven so dominantly by a guy like that? The hope is that, by getting rid of the Whitlocks, it's a better place for guys like Terez Paylors to thrive.

Though I'm by no means a lurker, I've never played a down of football in my life, so I yield to those with better knowledge than I on many topics. I don't THINK that makes my opinion less valuable than those who do contribute a lot to those threads since my hope is that CP becomes a better place for people with solid takes to have their opinions heard.

I'm not sure where Cochise's situation fits in with your comparison but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Eleazar 04-04-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12163928)

I tend to post in football threads a lot more during the season. During the off-season when the same things are getting rehashed it's not as interesting.

During last season, when there was a generally agreed-upon uproar about the climate here being terrible, when the team was on a winning streak and the trolling just intensified to where it wasn't even fun to enjoy the streak with this community, I don't know how many times I would click on a football thread, see that it's the same turds ruining it again, and just hit the back button.

Fluffers would defend the offenders by saying they drive traffic. Well, they drive traffic to quote them, and to talk about them, and to make threads about them. They also drive traffic that would have discussed something valuable away to other threads or they drive traffic to not participate in the Lounge altogether. "He drives traffic" in all the wrong directions. This was most obvious in the game threads, I think. (Until the well-deserved thread bans started coming out)

I think the point is that if the place is more enjoyable and the threads are not ruined by attention whores, so good people are more likely to participate.

DaFace 04-04-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 12163963)
I'm not sure where Cochise's situation fits in with your comparison but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

My only point is simply that one's contributions as a creator don't necessarily have anything to do with whether one's opinions about ways to improve are valid. Clay "created" a **** ton of "content" around here, so if that were the case he'd be running the joint.