ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books More Police nonsense. Father arrested for Speaking Against Sexually Explicit Book (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283464)

Mosbonian 05-08-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10609092)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. There is a large snake which is a direct representation of a penis and all the sexual tension between Harry and Hermione could be confusing to young readers.

This one made me chuckle....

Mosbonian 05-08-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10609033)
Oh come on....what was the book you opted out of?

To be frank I don't even remember.....it wasn't about whether or not I thought it was a book that should be recommended/mandated to be read, it was more about whether or not I thought she was prepared for handling the message of the book.

You know...they are kids and sometimes they don't all assimilate things the same way emotionally/mentally.

It was my choice as a parent, and I don't see any real mental/physical scars she has borne from not being able to read it.

TLO 05-08-2014 08:31 AM

So we're having a disussion about the book, not the officer?

WhawhaWhat 05-08-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 10609160)
Funny as you were trying to be, your joke was out of date.

The Bible isn't allowed in school anymore.

Depends on the school.

loochy 05-08-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 10609160)
Funny as you were trying to be, your joke was out of date.

The Bible isn't allowed in school anymore.

WHAT!?!?!

I PROTEST THIS WAR ON CHRISTMAS

ChiTown 05-08-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10609033)
Oh come on....what was the book you opted out of?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...ObOif8mg0VLijA

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-08-2014 09:04 AM

A sizable chunk of the students I teach at the college level aren't prepared to handle the message of most texts I assign them, and it's not like I'm dishing out Gravity's Rainbow, either.

Predarat 05-08-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10609188)

Nothing to see here about the gestapo cop. Paid administrative leave. Maybe a promotion. Move along.

Deberg_1990 05-08-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10609188)

Thats truly the bigger story and issue. I only used the COP thing as a headline grabber.

The cop was only following orders. The story mentions that its not even normal for a cop to be at the meetings and he was never replaced after they left. The school board obviously knew something was going to go down.

Mosbonian 05-08-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10609248)
A sizable chunk of the students I teach at the college level aren't prepared to handle the message of most texts I assign them, and it's not like I'm dishing out Gravity's Rainbow, either.

Yeah....but to me there is a big difference in the mental makeup of a Freshman in HS and a college student.

There are books that I have no issue with my daughter reading now that she is preparing to head to college.....but when she was a Freshman I just didn't believe she was prepared for it.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-08-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 10609538)
Yeah....but to me there is a big difference in the mental makeup of a Freshman in HS and a college student.

There are books that I have no issue with my daughter reading now that she is preparing to head to college.....but when she was a Freshman I just didn't believe she was prepared for it.

There certainly is a difference in maturity, but from my own experience I can tell you that I have encountered several people with doctorates who were so close-minded/myopic that they couldn't process certain transgressive texts.

With that said, many classics are racier than people want to give them credit for.

For example, you will not encounter a filthier piece of popularly-taught literature than The Canterbury Tales.

Mosbonian 05-08-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10609600)
There certainly is a difference in maturity, but from my own experience I can tell you that I have encountered several people with doctorates who were so close-minded/myopic that they couldn't process certain transgressive texts.

You've evidently met some graduates of Bob Jones University....:D

Jimmya 05-08-2014 12:39 PM

Bob Jones U!