ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs Re-Sign Breeland - 1yr, $4.5M (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330482)

BWillie 04-09-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14896782)
Are other teams doing as much as we are in the offseason so far? Seems like Veach is bored.

If you ask me he doesn't have to do too much. Call it a relationship with Watkins and Breeland. Call it the market drying up. Call it whatever you want. But most of people expected Watkins and Breeland both to get multi year deals and no longer be with the Chiefs.

The Breeland deal is arguably better than the Watkins deal because it's cheaper and cap friendly. Still, these are players more valuable to us than anyone else with our cap situation, how our contracts are set up, and the fact that they already know the system where teams will have less practice time next year.

Pitt Gorilla 04-09-2020 12:38 PM

The one guy I really wanted back. Great news, although I was hoping for more years.

ThaVirus 04-09-2020 12:38 PM

We're returning like 98% of starters, major contributors and coaching staff from our Super Bowl season. That's insane.

With all of this shit going down and an offseason that's likely to be shortened, keeping the band together should pay dividends.

Pitt Gorilla 04-09-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 14896834)
Agree that it should all be about adding the most impact rather than just looking at need.

That's why I've been advocating for considering an offensive playmaker at 32 i one of the WRs falls, or if a RB is there that the Chiefs think adds a new dimension to the offense.

Gay fits the bill because he has all-pro physical gifts and play skills. Obviously Queen and Murray are in that category, too.

I don't know there's an offensive lineman at 32 that fits that bill.

If Swift is there, do you take him? I’d love an impact backer or IOL, but swift would complete our skill guys.

JohnnyHammersticks 04-09-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14896428)
This is great news. Our draft is much more open.

Exactly, was going to post the exact same thing. Signing Washington and re-signing Breeland really opens things up. LB and IOL are really our only two glaring needs now.

ThaVirus 04-09-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14896428)
This is great news. Our draft is much more open.

This is another good point.

I'd still expect to see a focus on interior OL, LB, and CB but I truly would not be surprised or upset if they went off script and picked a RB, WR, pass rusher or something weird.

BleedingRed 04-09-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14896760)
I think I'm to the point that I want a every down back for the only reason to protect Patrick Mahomes. We're going to win regular season games no matter what. When it comes to the playoffs, let it fly and chuck it.

This, I hoping day 2 we can find a guy like we had in Hunt

dirk digler 04-09-2020 12:52 PM

So we have basically $5 left in cap space? :D

Mecca 04-09-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14896851)
If Swift is there, do you take him? I’d love an impact backer or IOL, but swift would complete our skill guys.

I might think about it...however to be very honest, if the guys I felt were elite type playmakers on offense and defense were gone and I was in this boat.

I'd probably hope I could trade back with a team that wanted a fatty, the reason being if I'm going on that future prep and playmakers is where it's at. I'd try to grab an extra pick or 2 and then target Shenault in the 2nd because I think he is a playmaker, you may have to wait on him a bit but it would set our future.

duncan_idaho 04-09-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 14896851)

It's a consideration. He's a true 3-down guy and probably is a little underrated because 1) UGA is always loaded at RB; 2) Their offense was very unimaginative this year.

LIVForTheKingdom 04-09-2020 01:02 PM

Garoppolo, able to stay upright.... Breeland is there for Kansas City!

Excellent value, 45% comp allowed, played lights out in the SB.
Still need to go CB in Rd 1/2, little depth beyond next year. Nice to have continuity, especially given the events related to the virus, teams like us will be at an advantage. I expect him to ball out and then get a decent deal for 2021 (he'll only be 29, still not that old), should groom someone for the future. Deep CB class too. Next year gonna be lit, time to run it back!

Red Dawg 04-09-2020 01:04 PM

Why not, he played well most of the time.

Rausch 04-09-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14896920)

Pretty much this.

If we get lucky and can draft someone better, great.

If not we pretty much have the same secondary from last year...

JohnnyHammersticks 04-09-2020 01:09 PM

He's a pretty strong tackler, too. Veach seems to love CBs who don't mind hitting.

The Franchise 04-09-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 14896920)

Great input on this topic.