ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU ***** Official 2018-2019 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread ***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314740)

CoMoChief 12-15-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 13964210)
This team is the epitome of playing down to their competition.

Tennessee or Vermont, it doesn’t matter. There is no killer instinct.

This team lost a lot of scoring from last yr. Graham, Svi, Newman. They're now relying on a freshmen PG (whos going to make mistakes) and a 6th man from last yr's squad who had 1 foot out the door, to be their leading scorer.

They may have bolstered their post game a little bit, but they lost a lot at the guard position, esp the 3pt ball. I'm going to miss watching Graham and Svi drain 3 after 3...

Prison Bitch 12-15-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13964264)
He won't, so there's no worries there. But even if he did, that still wouldn't make anything I've ever said about him false.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TlK63E...04uc/giphy.gif

Titty Meat 12-15-2018 08:46 PM

Great win today. If self ever does go to the NBA everyone will want Marshall and that's a fine choice but Jay Wright is the best coach in the game.

Demonpenz 12-15-2018 09:44 PM

KU fans are fickle. Want high jumping 3 point smart long above the rim shot down defenders at all position. Good defense Garret Doke Grimes. Glue guy to eat up minutes and foul people (Lightfoot) then they have some scorers. They got a good post game as well. They need lots of seasoning together. Charlie Moore probably thought he did the smartest thing by pulling it out, but he just made the wrong call.

KC_Connection 12-15-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13964686)
Great win today. If self ever does go to the NBA everyone will want Marshall and that's a fine choice but Jay Wright is the best coach in the game.

I’d take Jay Wright in a second if Self ever left. I’d honestly take him as the Raptors’ coach right now too.

Buehler445 12-16-2018 12:29 AM

Quote:

Yeah. I would be less than thrilled if KU ended up with Gregg Marshall.

BigRedChief 12-16-2018 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13964922)
I’d take Jay Wright in a second if Self ever left. I’d honestly take him as the Raptors’ coach right now too.

greg Marshall doesn’t have a lot of experience recruiting and coaching up one and dones, correct? If you want to coach at a blue blood school don’t you need experience with that skill? Wright seems the right choice.

Titty Meat 12-16-2018 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13964972)
Yeah. I would be less than thrilled if KU ended up with Gregg Marshall.

Howcome? Hes built that program. I get that hire Kansas guy. The brand regardless of coach sells it self. Nobody will have the success Self has had so enjoy it. Tremendous times Self to you all is what Osborne is to my generation.

BWillie 12-16-2018 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13965011)
Howcome? Hes built that program. I get that hire Kansas guy. The brand regardless of coach sells it self. Nobody will have the success Self has had so enjoy it. Tremendous times Self to you all is what Osborne is to my generation.

Yeah, thats what they said during the Larry Brown era. Then in the Roy Williams era, too.

Titty Meat 12-16-2018 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13965021)
Yeah, thats what they said during the Larry Brown era. Then in the Roy Williams era, too.

Willie you seriously have the dumbest posts in the history of CP. Let's go over your stupidity for a second.....

Self has as many titles as Brown and more than Williams.

Hes won what? 14 conference titles in a row. Brown nor William's accomplished this.

What's your proof that literally any other coach in the universe aside than coach K would accomplish such a feat?

Chiefspants 12-16-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

I actually do not think KU or Marshall would have any interest at all in that pairing.

Gregg is a hot-head. He and his wife have a similar type of a public persona that Todd Haley and his wife did. He doesn't play nice or shmooze where you're supposed to when coaching a blue blood. He's perfect for WSU, I think he'd recoil a bit if he had to adjust for a bigger school.

Buehler445 12-16-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13965011)

Several reasons. And none of which are because he isn't as good as Self. Self wasn't as good as Self when he got here.

1. Recruiting. He's not good. He hit a hot streak of lightly recruited guys that came together and were really really special. With that group of guys he hit the big stage. He "arrived" so to speak. He couldn't then parlay that into a higher level of recruiting. It didn't happen.

2. He's better as the underdog. He wants to grind and fight. That approach doesn't necessarily work for higher recruits that it will take to win here.

3. He's had offers from other bigger schools and didn't take them. AND don't think KU is his dream job. In fact, I think he hates the place.

Among other things.

KC_Connection 12-16-2018 01:54 PM

KU would have their pick of virtually any HC in the country if Self ever left. They're obviously not picking Gregg Marshall in that scenario.

Mr. Plow 12-16-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Jesus, I hope we could do better than Greg Marshall.

BigRedChief 12-18-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13965622)
KU would have their pick of virtually any HC in the country if Self ever left. They're obviously not picking Gregg Marshall in that scenario.

So we get the pick of the litter, who do you want in the post Self era?

DiaperBoy27 12-18-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13969150)

Jay Wright

Lzen 12-18-2018 09:01 AM

Jay Wright would be a good get but I would never want KU to hire Marshall. I can't stand that little jerk. And like Buehler said, I'm pretty sure he hates KU.

TambaBerry 12-18-2018 09:05 AM

jay wright would never leave Villanova, he has zero reason too

RockChalk 12-18-2018 09:15 AM

LOL at anyone thinking we would ever hire Marshall. GTFO with that crap. He's a decent coach, at best, and is not a good fit for any major program, especially KU.

saphojunkie 12-18-2018 11:31 AM

I would think we go after Brad Stevens, and he'd take it in a heartbeat. The chance to coach for a premier team like Kansas would be too much to resist.

i'm kidding

BWillie 12-18-2018 02:14 PM

Yeah, we'd go after Stevens, Few and Wright - who would turn us down. We may have to resort to guys like John Beilein.

I would have said Thad Matta a few years ago but his teams have really struggled last couple of years.

There isn't very many sure things right now for Blue Bloods to choose from, especially for guys in their 40s.

DJJasonp 12-18-2018 02:23 PM

The hunt should begin and end with Jay Wright. And KU/UNC/DUKE/UK are each schools that you leave Villanova for.

RaidersOftheCellar 12-18-2018 03:06 PM

Wright wouldn't leave Villanova at this point.

And Marshall is decent at best? He's consistently built really good teams with players that nobody wanted.

What does that say about somebody like Calipari, who can barely outproduce him with 4 lottery picks per year?

That said, Marshall probably wouldn't be a good fit at KU.

Chiefspants 12-18-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 13969881)
Wright wouldn't leave Villanova at this point.

And Marshall is decent at best? He's consistently built really good teams with players that nobody wanted.

What does that say about somebody like Calipari, who can barely outproduce him with 4 lottery picks per year?

That said, Marshall probably wouldn't be a good fit at KU.

If this were the era of Bob Knight, Marshall would be considered amongst the best coaches in the country.

The game has changed a bit. You have to schmooze, and be cozy with the AAU - Marshall is the antithesis of schmoozing - and wants the freedom for him and his family to have public blowups without serious repercussions. WSU is thrilled to have him, so they'll look the other way on those things, but major Universities will want him to "play the game" - it's just how it is.

Kiimo 12-18-2018 03:43 PM

**** Marshall.

He's no Penny. Hell he's no Garry.

He can **** off straight to Hell

shitgoose 12-18-2018 03:48 PM

If I was in the market for a HC right now, Fred Hoiberg would be close to the top of my list. It didn't work out for him with the Bulls but I think the guy is a great college Coach.

Kiimo 12-18-2018 05:44 PM

Fred is a fraud, sorry. Also he may not live ten more years.

C3HIEF3S 12-18-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shitgoose (Post 13969940)
If I was in the market for a HC right now, Fred Hoiberg would be close to the top of my list. It didn't work out for him with the Bulls but I think the guy is a great college Coach.

**** no

Chiefspants 12-18-2018 06:49 PM

WE GET OUR PICK BETWEEN THE MAYOR AND MARC TURDGEON

KC_Connection 12-18-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13969150)

If it isn't Wright, it's wrong.

DrunkBassGuitar 12-18-2018 10:46 PM

All this talk about replacing Self is just hypothetical right? Am I missing something

Buehler445 12-18-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar (Post 13970457)
All this talk about replacing Self is just hypothetical right? Am I missing something

Billay did it.

DrunkBassGuitar 12-18-2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13970462)
Billay did it.

I'll send him the bill for the small heart attack I had reading the last page of this thread.

BWillie 12-18-2018 11:04 PM

Charlie Moore finally hits shots!

McCormack is going to be a beast eventually. The next Thomas Robinson.

Prison Bitch 12-19-2018 12:26 AM

Our fans used to want Danny Manning as a replacement mega-lulz

You can’t be a nice guy. You gotta be a dick to win at our level

HolyHandgernade 12-19-2018 01:43 AM

I don't think Bill's replacement has "emerged" yet. If I had my pick because Self was hypothetically leaving after the season, it would be Brad Stevens. But he isn't leaving the Celtics, just like Bill isn't leaving the Jayhawks.

BigRedChief 12-19-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 13970578)
I don't think Bill's replacement has "emerged" yet. If I had my pick because Self was hypothetically leaving after the season, it would be Brad Stevens. But he isn't leaving the Celtics, just like Bill isn't leaving the Jayhawks.

It seems that Self isn't interested in an NBA job. I guess he could go "home" to OK State, but that's doubtful at any point, especially anytime soon. I think he's here for the duration until he's done with BB. Since he still seems to have the passion, this wont be a "real" discussion for many more years.

RaidersOftheCellar 12-19-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 13970578)

Everybody's first pick is Stevens.

We can only hope his NBA career goes south by that point.

KC_Connection 12-20-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13970674)
It seems that Self isn't interested in an NBA job. I guess he could go "home" to OK State, but that's doubtful at any point, especially anytime soon. I think he's here for the duration until he's done with BB. Since he still seems to have the passion, this wont be a "real" discussion for many more years.

The KU job is better than any NBA HC job honestly, so unless he just wants the challenge of coaching at the highest level, it's hard to see.

Kiimo 12-20-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13973441)
The KU job is better than any NBA HC job

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uplo...ake-gif-13.gif

KC_Connection 12-21-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13973460)

How is this even a bold statement to make? Calipari could have had his pick of virtually any NBA coaching job in the league over the past few years and chose to stay at Kentucky. It's not a mystery why.

Mr_Tomahawk 12-22-2018 11:24 PM

Meh.

Reerun_KC 12-22-2018 11:25 PM

Eh. December loss. Meh.

KC_Connection 12-22-2018 11:30 PM

Vick was horrifically bad in their first true road game, especially down the stretch. But what's new?

BigRedChief 12-22-2018 11:38 PM

What the hell was Garrett doing taking the lead on offense late in the game?

Reerun_KC 12-22-2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13978454)
Vick was horrifically bad in their first true road game, especially down the stretch. But what's new?

Yawn. Will you ever have a legit take? Or you going to repeat your same shit all season ?

Reerun_KC 12-22-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13978474)

It was Vick’s fault. He coached him to do so / KCC

KC_Connection 12-22-2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13978480)
Yawn. Will you ever have a legit take? Or you going to repeat your same shit all season ?

Vick going 5 for 16 from the field with 3 turnovers and multiple blunders down the stretch isn't a legit take? LMAO

KC_Connection 12-22-2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13978474)

Garrett didn't take a shot in the last 5 minutes of the game and made the two FTs he took with about 4 min left, so not entirely clear on this one.

Vick, on the other hand, took a ridiculous ill-advised contested three with two minutes left and turned it over twice in the last minute to cost the team the game.

Buehler445 12-23-2018 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13978480)

Vick was pure garbage, man. Just really really bad.

CoMoChief 12-23-2018 12:39 AM

Refs weren't exactly good. ASU went to the FT line 20-something more times.

But can't entirely blame it on that. KU guards really played like shit down the stretch when it mattered, took bad low% shots and turned the ball over. ASU wanted it more.

Buehler445 12-23-2018 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13978617)
Refs weren't exactly good. ASU went to the FT line 20-something more times.

But can't entirely blame it on that. KU guards really played like shit down the stretch when it mattered, took bad low% shots and turned the ball over. ASU wanted it more.

The officiating was bad, but when KU shit down their leg, it was pretty even.

CoMoChief 12-23-2018 01:21 AM

This isn't a good shooting team. Self lost Graham, Svi, and Newman...that's A LOT of grade-A firepower from downtown KU no longer has. Dotson has a high ceiling and is already a good shooter, but he has chance to be great, but probably won't see that fully blossom til next season. Vick is very streaky, I think we all knew that coming into this season, but also didn't expect the hot start either so KU's been riding that wave. If Vick isn't scoring, and esp w/ no Doka, KU gonna have a tough time scoring, esp when it gets into conf ball.

The carelessness with the ball and bad shots, wasting possessions has to stop though...but at least that's coachable.

ROYC75 12-23-2018 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13978443)
Eh. December loss. Meh.

Agreed, live to learn from it!

Reerun_KC 12-23-2018 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13978605)
Vick was pure garbage, man. Just really really bad.

We know. Every. Single. Game. It’s all we hear about.

farmerchief 12-23-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 13978643)

The carelessness with the ball and bad shots, wasting possessions has to stop though...but at least that's coachable.

Its hard for me to get into, and watch this years version of the team. Just as you eluded to, the bad passing and sloppiness is just too frustrating to watch some times. I bet Coach Self is pulling his hair out with this bunch, he looked awfully red faced on the bench last night. I got spoiled with the last few years of experienced players on the court, their passing was much, much better. I just got to keep telling myself theres a lot of youth playing out there, but its still hard to watch. Probably even harder to coach.

One other note, it was quite a joke to listen to Bill Walton slobber over the greatness of the Jayhawk team through out the game. I thought he must have been too high on his weed to actually see what was on the court!:shake:

TambaBerry 12-23-2018 08:07 AM

They fouled Grimes on that three point attempt which would have put him on the line, he makes those and the game is essentially over.

BigRedChief 12-23-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 13978659)
Agreed, live to learn from it!

I don't think anyone in here thought that KU was the #1 team in the nation. Self still hasnt worked his magic to get the top talent to play as a team. Looking better each week though.
We just need to end up being one of the top 4 teams.

Reerun_KC 12-23-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13978788)
I don't think anyone in here thought that KU was the #1 team in the nation. Self still hasnt worked his magic to get the top talent to play as a team. Looking better each week though.

This. Same thing we have seen for the past 15 years. I’m surprised they are playing this well already against this brutal schedule.

Let’s see how they look in Feb then we can go full KCC hate if necessary...

Prison Bitch 12-23-2018 10:59 AM

Has that tard Kcc come by to post we are “soft”?

Does it every year when we drop a game. Clockwork

KC_Connection 12-23-2018 11:46 AM

Isn't it about time for that troll PB to start his yearly call to fire Self?

Demonpenz 12-23-2018 11:53 AM

Ran into a crazy place to play with no doke and turned the ball over way too many times. Shit their pants is right but they got to get some hostile road games because everyone always wants a piece of them. With Doke they win btw. Lawson is the best below the rim player since way simen

Prison Bitch 12-23-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13979089)
Isn't it about time for that troll PB to start his yearly call to fire Self?

Post evidence of me ever calling for that.

(A tapout is coming, I can feel it)

Bearcat 12-23-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 13978778)
They fouled Grimes on that three point attempt which would have put him on the line, he makes those and the game is essentially over.

And WTF was up with the tie up call at center court? Watched the 2nd half at Yard House (thank god, didn't have to listen to Bill Walton), so maybe I missed something... like, when ASU ever actually tied it up. :shrug:

That and the foul on Grimes within a couple possession were discouraging.... but, they also played dumb down the stretch.

KC_Connection 12-23-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13979425)
And WTF was up with the tie up call at center court? Watched the 2nd half at Yard House (thank god, didn't have to listen to Bill Walton), so maybe I missed something... like, when ASU ever actually tied it up. :shrug:

That and the foul on Grimes within a couple possession were discouraging.... but, they also played dumb down the stretch.

Probably the worst jump ball call I've ever seen. Had to be either a foul or a travel and they called neither. The collapse kind of coincided with that call but it may have happened anyway with the amount of blunders being made.

KC_Connection 12-23-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13979249)
Post evidence of me ever calling for that.

(A tapout is coming, I can feel it)

That would require actual effort on my part and I don't care enough about you to give any.

ROYC75 12-23-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13978788)

Agreed, my SNL is a big UK fan, he said he thinks KU is the best team in the country. I told him, NO, hardly any chance this early in the season. This team is far from jelling into being in contention this early!

sedated 12-23-2018 04:20 PM

Its still early.

This team has no leader, unless Dedric can be called one. Despite the issues, KU has numerous top 20 wins and the only loss was at a top 20 team in (yet another) close game.

BWillie 12-23-2018 04:50 PM

107th in D1 in 3FG%
233rd in D1 in made 3FG per game.

Can Christian Bruan graduate early and enroll at KU?

Ceej 12-23-2018 06:00 PM

Grimes HAS TO figure it out.

KC_Connection 12-29-2018 01:34 PM

These KU commentators pretending like De Sousa is actually going to play this year. LMAO

CasselGotPeedOn 12-29-2018 02:39 PM

Grimes is completely useless.

KC_Connection 12-29-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn (Post 13992757)

Has been a great defender all season.

JoeyChuckles 12-29-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn (Post 13992757)

Defense often comes first to Freshmen. He'll pick up the offense better in the second half of the season.

BWillie 12-29-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 13992794)
Defense often comes first to Freshmen. He'll pick up the offense better in the second half of the season.

You mean rarely.

BWillie 12-29-2018 03:53 PM

Nice to see Grimes end up with a nice stat line - even though most of it was in garbage time.

Devon Dotson is a god damn stud. Was a lockdown defender at times today. So quick.

Dedric really struggles to find the space he needs when Doke is in the game. It's night and day. He's almost better when he's twirling around shooting than shooting a set shot too.

Doke absolutely sucks at passing. But nice to see him back at near full strength, and dunking all over a pretty big team.

I can shoot as well as Marcus Garrett.

KJ is the king of destroying garbage time.

Bearcat 12-29-2018 05:15 PM

Beat the #1 team in the country.... then lose to Princeton. Good job, ASU. LMAO

KC_Connection 12-29-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 13993034)
Beat the #1 team in the country.... then lose to Princeton. Good job, ASU. LMAO

That game was more about KU being absolutely awful down the stretch, not ASU being any good at all. KU has been playing down to competition all season (although not as much today thankfully).

CoMoChief 01-02-2019 07:54 PM

Get this back on the front page...there's a big game on in 5min.

CoMoChief 01-02-2019 08:23 PM

Just noticed Vick changed his jersey# to 24 from #2.