ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Captain Marvel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317541)

Hammock Parties 04-21-2019 02:43 PM

Take note, feminazis...this is how you do a GIRL POWER scene without it coming off hamfisted and over the top. You don't have to tear down a man in a scene just to make the woman look good.

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YPMk-EEyOpE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vailpass 04-21-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14217698)
Take note, feminazis...this is how you do a GIRL POWER scene without it coming off hamfisted and over the top. You don't have to tear down a man in a scene just to make the woman look good.

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YPMk-EEyOpE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yep. I never thought of Ripley as a bad ass woman. Just a bad ass.

Hammock Parties 04-21-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14217717)
Yep. I never thought of Ripley as a bad ass woman. Just a bad ass.

It's actually weakening the character and the movie when you pander the way some of these other films have.

It'd be like if they filled Black Panther full of shit about white men.

Thank god they didn't do that.

Hammock Parties 04-21-2019 03:00 PM

One thing I LOVED was the Stan Lee cameo and Danvers' reaction to him.

Absolutely nailed it.

Bowser 04-21-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14217730)
One thing I LOVED was the Stan Lee cameo and Danvers' reaction to him.

Absolutely nailed it.

Yeah. I liked how the Marvel intro was all Stan, as well.

Sorry 04-21-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14217861)
Yeah. I liked how the Marvel intro was all Stan, as well.

I really hope they have a huge intro for Stan no matter how long.

DaFace 04-21-2019 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14217996)
I really hope they have a huge intro for Stan no matter how long.

I bet they will. And the idea I've heard for more long-term is to have him make "cameos" as art in the background and such. You have to think they'll try and work him in somehow.

Setsuna 04-22-2019 11:41 AM

Meh. She may have her priorities a little off kilter but now people are making tons of videos ridiculing her and it's becoming a bit silly. I find it childish tbh.

Simply Red 07-27-2019 12:30 AM

i enjoyed this quite a lot.

Direckshun 07-27-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 14365871)
i enjoyed this quite a lot.

It’s a really solid movie with a great subtext.

I hope Larson grows more into the role, though.

Miles 07-27-2019 02:09 AM

I thought it was fine and entertaining enough. Did like the various test pilot references of Edwards Air force Base. Looking at The Right Stuff at Blockbuster and the bar called Panchos but probably missed some others.

lawrenceRaider 07-27-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 14365879)
It’s a really solid movie with a great subtext.

I hope Larson grows more into the role, though.

It would have been great with better casting of Captain Marvel.

banecat 07-27-2019 06:15 AM

I finally watched it. It was a lot better than I thought that it was going to be

Direckshun 07-27-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14365917)
It would have been great with better casting of Captain Marvel.

I think so.

Easy 6 07-27-2019 01:13 PM

Rented this last night and thought it was a jumbled piece of crap

Probably not a popular opinion, but that’s exactly what I thought of it

Mephistopheles Janx 07-27-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14366305)

I just watched it (again) a few days ago myself and thought better of it the second time around... what seemed jumbled to you?

Easy 6 07-27-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14366314)
I just watched it (again) a few days ago myself and thought better of it the second time around... what seemed jumbled to you?

Pretty much everything, but in fairness I was a little distracted with some friends coming and going at my place

Have it for 2 nights, so might give it another shot later and see if I like it any better the second time around

crayzkirk 07-27-2019 01:41 PM

Have tried to watch it three times, fell asleep every time. I just can't relate to the character. Where is the fall from grace and redemption? Like SuperMan, no real weakness and is just perfect. Shazam was more entertaining...

Easy 6 07-27-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayzkirk (Post 14366325)
Have tried to watch it three times, fell asleep every time. I just can't relate to the character. Where is the fall from grace and redemption? Like SuperMan, no real weakness and is just perfect. Shazam was more entertaining...

One thing I really didn’t like, was the pointy eared green villain with his little chin goatee lol... he looks like some low budget scy-fy channel character

Bowser 07-27-2019 02:20 PM

I didn't like how they made the Skrulls the sympathetic character(s) in this movie. That lot is as big of bad guys as Marvel has to offer.

It wasn't awful, but it's not in the top 10 of MCU movies.

Easy 6 07-27-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14366371)
I didn't like how they made the Skrulls the sympathetic character(s) in this movie. That lot is as big of bad guys as Marvel has to offer.

It wasn't awful, but it's not in the top 10 of MCU movies.

Which is why I don’t get it being roundly hailed as this TRIUMPH of excellence

It’s subpar among comic book movies IMO

vailpass 07-27-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14366408)
Which is why I don’t get it being roundly hailed as this TRIUMPH of excellence

It’s subpar among comic book movies IMO

You know why.
Think ‘Black Panther’.

Easy 6 07-27-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14366445)
You know why.
Think ‘Black Panther’.

I hear you, though in fairness BP was a much better movie IMO

keg in kc 07-27-2019 05:14 PM

I'm not sure anybody has hailed it as a triumph of excellence, but if they did it's probably them overreacting after the vitriolic backlash the movie got from the misogynists and incels online long before anyone could possibly have seen it.

As far as top 10 mcu, that's a damn high bar to set after 20 years. They've put out a lot of really good movies featuring a lot of characters most of us are way more connected to than captain marvel, movies that only seem better in retrospect thanks to nostalgia.

And I think a few of us are prone to react negatively to Captain Marvel exactly because of the social push behind it. I mean, I can't speak for everyone, but I don't particularly like being told how to think or what I'm going to like. And on top of that, leading up to the movie, Brie Larson was pretty unlikable in interviews. So I was kind of predisposed to not like it, if I'm being honest.

And then there's the way we talk about Brie Larson in a physical sense. Her tits aren't big enough and her ass is flat seemed to be the top opinions, and somebody else should get the job because she's not hot enough. Which was almost word for word what was said about a certain Wonder Woman actress a few years ago.

So maybe we're not exactly a collection of guys who were ever going to give this movie high marks.

Buehler445 07-27-2019 06:21 PM

If you haven’t looked up Brie Larsons leaked nudes, do it. She’s hot as hell man. I think I posted them in this thread.

Her tits are amazing.

Setsuna 07-28-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14366689)
If you haven’t looked up Brie Larsons leaked nudes, do it. She’s hot as hell man. I think I posted them in this thread.

Her tits are amazing.

There's more to life than tits dawg :shake::shake::shake:

Buehler445 07-28-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14367078)

Doesn't mean her tits are not top shelf.

AND

From a purely body perspective, she's ****ing hot.

Bowser 07-28-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 14367078)

The hell you say, I say

Simply Red 07-28-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

**** YOU!

Bowser 07-28-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 14367263)
**** YOU!

That's not nice

Simply Red 07-28-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14367808)
That's not nice

I agree but Scott is dead wrong, remind me to never listen to him when movies are concerned.

Fish 07-28-2019 06:08 PM

I had issues with it, but mostly just from a comic-source standpoint. The original Mar-Vell character(Original Captain Marvel) was really important to Carol Danvers' character backstory, and they changed that very dramatically and it turned out pretty shitty. They morphed a lot of the Ms. Marvel story line into the Captain Marvel story, and again from knowing the comics, it felt like a pretty cheap and lazy way to go about it. I really really hated the way they made the Skrulls into some poor sob story immigrant storyline, because that shits all over many different comic runs. I'm just hoping maybe they tie in some awesome Secret Invasion type of storyline twist to explain it all, otherwise this just doesn't quite sit right with the overall story arc. Also, I thought Brie Larson's acting was a bit flat. Not terrible, just unemotional and odd.

WhiteWhale 07-28-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14367931)
I had issues with it, but mostly just from a comic-source standpoint. The original Mar-Vell character(Original Captain Marvel) was really important to Carol Danvers' character backstory, and they changed that very dramatically and it turned out pretty shitty. They morphed a lot of the Ms. Marvel story line into the Captain Marvel story, and again from knowing the comics, it felt like a pretty cheap and lazy way to go about it. I really really hated the way they made the Skrulls into some poor sob story immigrant storyline, because that shits all over many different comic runs. I'm just hoping maybe they tie in some awesome Secret Invasion type of storyline twist to explain it all, otherwise this just doesn't quite sit right with the overall story arc. Also, I thought Brie Larson's acting was a bit flat. Not terrible, just unemotional and odd.

I didn't know you were a comic geek...

I don't like modern Captain Marvel. I don't like what they've done to Danvers over the years, and the movie was as flat and boring as I expected. They've stripped all humanity from the character by trying to make her iconic. Iconic just happens. You can't MAKE it happen. Most of the time relateable flaws are what create that iconic status in context of the times in which they rise to fame. Trying to make someone too perfect.... meh. It comes off like the self insert of a narcissistic writer.

Yes about the Skrulls and Kree. Everything about that annoyed TF outta me. You know why.

Fish 07-28-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14368016)
I didn't know you were a comic geek...

I don't like modern Captain Marvel. I don't like what they've done to Danvers over the years, and the movie was as flat and boring as I expected. They've stripped all humanity from the character by trying to make her iconic. Iconic just happens. You can't MAKE it happen. Most of the time relateable flaws are what create that iconic status in context of the times in which they rise to fame. Trying to make someone too perfect.... meh. It comes off like the self insert of a narcissistic writer.

Yes about the Skrulls and Kree. Everything about that annoyed TF outta me. You know why.

That's exactly it. Carol Danvers' Ms./Captain Marvel was never written to be an iconic lead hero. It felt so forced that it annoyed me. Someone trying to force the plot without sufficiently investing the viewer into why that's important or necessary. Just forced virtue signalling to replace actual plot. And it didn't work for me.

Setsuna 07-29-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14367107)

AND

All valid statements. But my statement is also valid, sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14367122)
The hell you say, I say

I'd take a perfectly cooked steak than a good pair of boobs anyday.

lawrenceRaider 07-29-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14367107)

AND

Pancake ass is not hot.

WhiteWhale 07-29-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14368052)
That's exactly it. Carol Danvers' Ms./Captain Marvel was never written to be an iconic lead hero. It felt so forced that it annoyed me. Someone trying to force the plot without sufficiently investing the viewer into why that's important or necessary. Just forced virtue signalling to replace actual plot. And it didn't work for me.

Well, in the comics they've been trying to make her THE flagship character for like 15 years. Gave her the butch haircut and had her start acting hyper masculine. Started removing her flaws, and just presented her as 'the best marvel character' in spite of her lagging popularity. 11 cancellations due to low sales do not dissuade them from this pursuit.

She's a completely different character than the one I grew up with, but hey... the movie was a big financial success, so hopefully they FINALLY found an audience for her.

lawrenceRaider 07-29-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14368813)
Well, in the comics they've been trying to make her THE flagship character for like 15 years. Gave her the butch haircut and had her start acting hyper masculine. Started removing her flaws, and just presented her as 'the best marvel character' in spite of her lagging popularity. 11 cancellations due to low sales do not dissuade them from this pursuit.

She's a completely different character than the one I grew up with, but hey... the movie was a big financial success, so hopefully they FINALLY found an audience for her.

Marvel Comics have been a shit show for a long time. If they hadn't started in on the epic string of movies, which until very recently had nothing to do with the SJW nonsense, Marvel would likely have gone under without drastic change.

Instead, they are now in process of changing the movies to match the modern comic nonsense.

DJ's left nut 07-30-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Haven't watched it and won't because Larson's a chore.

That said, I love period movies and fell asleep in the middle of Wonder Woman. I watched Black Panther and found it to be good but not this universe altering miracle of a film.

There's no question that the woke crowd has pets and they'll pump a movie up because they badly WANT it to be good. And even when a movie is genuinely good on its merits (again, BP was a good movie), they'll overhype it to the point of overselling.

Those critics will give a movie like Captain Marvel a much wider berth than they'd have given to, say, Ant Man.

Easy 6 07-30-2019 04:41 PM

Green thumb, DJLN

Some of these movies have been hyped beyond all reason

Chiefspants 07-30-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14370601)
Haven't watched it and won't because Larson's a chore.

That said, I love period movies and fell asleep in the middle of Wonder Woman. I watched Black Panther and found it to be good but not this universe altering miracle of a film.

There's no question that the woke crowd has pets and they'll pump a movie up because they badly WANT it to be good. And even when a movie is genuinely good on its merits (again, BP was a good movie), they'll overhype it to the point of overselling.

Those critics will give a movie like Captain Marvel a much wider berth than they'd have given to, say, Ant Man.

It's a perfectly fine movie. You're not missing anything by skipping it, though.

Mennonite 07-31-2019 08:18 AM

What does it say about our culture when our "culture wars" are about reeruned comic book movies?

Setsuna 07-31-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 14371766)
What does it say about our culture when our "culture wars" are about reeruned comic book movies?

Culture wars aren't OUR culture. It's a small minority of people with access to social media capable of reaching millions. The vast majority of society stays out of this cesspool.