ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Superman/Batman movie coming in 2015 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274670)

Chazno 04-04-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12164178)
Not necessarily. As I mentioned earlier, they need to get to $800 million to break even, which is likely. Once merch, On Demand and DVD/Blu Ray sales are factored in, they'll earn a profit.

I doubt they spend as much money marketing the Justice League Part 1 as they've now established a presence in the marketplace.

Suicide Squad should do well for them, too, plus further the DC universe.

I'm thinking they aren't throwing a party to celebrate breaking even. This was teed up for them and instead of knocking it out of the park they hit a blooper over 2nd base. In my opinion there is going to be a lot of money left on the table as well as possible damage to upcoming movies ( anything directed by Snyder for me)

Just Passin' By 04-04-2016 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12164178)
Not necessarily. As I mentioned earlier, they need to get to $800 million to break even, which is likely. Once merch, On Demand and DVD/Blu Ray sales are factored in, they'll earn a profit.

I doubt they spend as much money marketing the Justice League Part 1 as they've now established a presence in the marketplace.

Suicide Squad should do well for them, too, plus further the DC universe.

This film wasn't about making money, although that obviously matters. It was about setting things up nicely for the shared universe with a great opening movie that made the public hungry for more. It did a shitty job of that. As for suicide squad, they're already re-shooting and revamping that to change its tone.

WB has to decide whether it misread the public, chose a shitty script and the wrong point man/director, made bad acting choices, or some combination of those and other elements, and they've got to be right about it, because this is an analysis they'll be doing with a multi-billion dollar pot on the line.

Me, I think they got pretty much everything wrong, except for some of the casting. This is really shades of The Amazing-Spider Man 2, where the money was good enough, but the movie wasn't.

Sure-Oz 04-04-2016 10:46 PM

I'm excited for future movies....that said fast track Batman and get Aquaman going and after those air along with WW go for JL part 1...either way excited that I think they can improve on this. I still enjoyed bvs the 2nd time more.

-King- 04-05-2016 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12161014)
The only way I think they can justify this Lex is if they have a character development phase in the next one where he comes out of jail (breaks out) as the more profound Lex that we know. Bold and brutal but hungry for power and money. That's what bothers me about this Lex they have him as criminally insane but Lex Lurthor is only a greedy son of a bitch that walks over anyone for property rights on beach fronts. Superman just gets in his way of "owning" the world.

The Lex Luther in this movie was like they just took the Joker and tried to normalize him to some degree. I too would have liked a more methodical and bold Lex.

-King- 04-05-2016 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 12160639)
This is pretty much spot on in my opinion. http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-supe...ice-1767720335

It is full of spoilers FYI

As much as I agree with him on BvS, it's like he hates on Man of Steel because other people have told him to hate it. I've never understood the people who hate it because of, according to him, "Superman's disregard for human life". What, was he supposed to call timeout with Zod so he could try to save people? And in case he didn't realize, it was the big ass terraforming machine doing the vast majority of the destruction.

I was hoping this movie would help people look at Man of Steel more favorably because IMO, it was a REAL GOOD movie, but it looks like it's done the exact opposite.

The Franchise 04-05-2016 09:46 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LGk5s0GSBhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spoilers obviously.

lawrenceRaider 04-05-2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 12164784)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LGk5s0GSBhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spoilers obviously.

Meh. I went to see it and thought it was OK. Probably because I was expecting complete dross. Parts were horrific, but I enjoyed enough of the rest to be glad I saw it at the theater.

Part I disliked the most was how they treated the Doomsday section of the movie. Felt forced/fake.

DaneMcCloud 04-05-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazno (Post 12164210)
I'm thinking they aren't throwing a party to celebrate breaking even.

I disagree. They're very happy that they're not likely to lose money on a project that cost them more than $400 million to create and market.

Quote:

This was teed up for them

How so?

Warner Brothers hasn't had any tangible success from the Superman character since 1978. Superman III & IV were awful films, as was Superman Returns, while Man of Steel is still up for debate.

Quote:

In my opinion there is going to be a lot of money left on the table as well as possible damage to upcoming movies ( anything directed by Snyder for me)

This doesn't even make sense. Money left on the table???

Accurately predicting a film's fate once it's been released to the public is a tenuous proposition at best. You can't say "Well, WB would have earned twice as much money as it did if they had cast or hired "So and So". That's nonsense.

"We're not concerned with the drop," said Warners domestic distribution chief Jeff Goldstein. "No matter how you slice it, to get to $52 million on any given weekend is an enormous accomplishment. We’re most focused on where we are in total. And our global number is huge."

And for the record, many in the industry believe that a decline of 70 percent or less is acceptable for BvS. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 actually dropped 72 percent in its second weekend, while The Twilight Saga: New Moon slipped 70 percent.

ThaVirus 04-05-2016 11:13 AM

"Batman, she's with you.. You literally emailed her"

LMAO I hadn't realized that.

WhawhaWhat 04-06-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12164890)
Warner Brothers hasn't had any tangible success from the Superman character since 1978. Superman III & IV were awful films, as was Superman Returns, while Man of Steel is still up for debate.

Hollywood doesn't know how to make a good Superman movie. They are heading in a good direction with Darkseid but they'll fill it with even more unnecessary backstory and kill the flow of the movie.

Sully 04-06-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12166107)
Hollywood doesn't know how to make a good Superman movie. They are heading in a good direction with Darkseid but they'll fill it with even more unnecessary backstory and kill the flow of the movie.

I haven't read a good portion of this conversation, but I'm curious what you think a good superman movie would look like?
It's personal opinion, but he's just a boring character. They did bubble gum, they are doing dark, both bored me to tears. I'm not sure what they could do to make "all-American invincible except for a rock" interesting.
I also haven't read the comics. Any DC I've read was batman.

PAChiefsGuy 04-06-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 12166161)
I haven't read a good portion of this conversation, but I'm curious what you think a good superman movie would look like?
It's personal opinion, but he's just a boring character. They did bubble gum, they are doing dark, both bored me to tears. I'm not sure what they could do to make "all-American invincible except for a rock" interesting.
I also haven't read the comics. Any DC I've read was batman.

He is pretty boring. He's simply a regular guy (doesn't sound right saying that about a alien with his powers but you get what I'm saying) with super powers trying to do the right thing... Nothing more nothing less.

I thought Man Of Steel was a great movie... Lots of action mixed with a good story.

DaneMcCloud 04-06-2016 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 12166107)

Hollywood? What does that even mean?

There have been many attempts to get the character "right" but he's just boring. Snyder's given him an edge, which is something the die hard fans hate but what else can you do with a guy that's invincible to everything other than a meteorite from his home planet (which has never made any sense to me)?

It seems to me like Superman is better suited as a TV show, like Lois and Clark or Smallville.

Halfcan 04-06-2016 10:09 AM

Best movie of all time. I am sure it will win every award possible. This generation's Citizen Cane-code word Martha. Such an well written and believable story. No holes at all in the plot. We laughed, we were held in suspense, and cried our eyes out for the 45 minute double funeral at the end. Who knew funerals could be so exciting? I am so inspired by this instant classic, I am getting a Superman tattoo on one arm and Batman on the other. Saving room across my back for the whole Justice League - coming soon. I am sure it will be just as incredible!

PAChiefsGuy 04-06-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12166285)
Best movie of all time. I am sure it will win every award possible. This generation's Citizen Cane-code word Martha. Such an well written and believable story. No holes at all in the plot. We laughed, we were held in suspense, and cried our eyes out for the 45 minute double funeral at the end. Who knew funerals could be so exciting? I am so inspired by this instant classic, I am getting a Superman tattoo on one arm and Batman on the other. Saving room across my back for the whole Justice League - coming soon. I am sure it will be just as incredible!

Lmao... Hey it wasn't the best but it was still good IMO...

As others have mentioned the whole plot of Superman vs Batman doesn't make any sense so the directors were in a bad spot from the beginning.