ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Offical 2012 STL Cardinals World Champions Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619)

BigRedChief 10-13-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9007471)
I came home from work and it was 6-0. Didn't even figure it was worth watching so I watched a movie with the Mrs. When the movie was over I checked ESPN and was stunned. I went up to my wife all crestfallen saying that the Cardinals had fallen behind 6-0 in the elimination game. The I perked up and told her they won 9-7.

Even after last year, how many time we cam back from the dead, you still didn;t believe?

Thats okay, most of us were feeling the same but at least we kept watching the game. :p

whoman69 10-13-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9007521)
Even after last year, how many time we cam back from the dead, you still didn;t believe?

Thats okay, most of us were feeling the same but at least we kept watching the game. :p

I get few enough evenings with the Mrs. since I work second shift. Guess I had to take one for the team.

VAChief 10-13-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9007834)
I get few enough evenings with the Mrs. since I work second shift. Guess I had to take one for the team.

Here's hoping you get at least 8 more evenings with her over the next couple of weeks. :)

Frazod 10-14-2012 09:40 PM

Cards take game 1 :rockon:

Marco Polo 10-14-2012 09:43 PM

Great job by the bullpen. Lynn looks like a guy who surpassed his innings max for the year.

Marcellus 10-14-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9014852)
Cards take game 1 :rockon:

Freese hit a bomb the bullpen comes through. Looks amazingly like last year.

Frazod 10-14-2012 09:47 PM

Bad day for teams from San Francisco to play defending champs. :spank:

WV 10-14-2012 09:50 PM

Probably been said, but how cool will it be to win another title without Pujols this time.

veist 10-15-2012 01:40 PM

Good news guys, Jocketty extended Dusty for two years.

BigRedChief 10-15-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 9014861)
Great job by the bullpen. Lynn looks like a guy who surpassed his innings max for the year.

I'd be in favor of Miller getting his start next time. Sure, he's a rookie but you just keep him on a short leash and back him up with Lynn or Kelley.

DJ's left nut 10-15-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9014892)
Probably been said, but how cool will it be to win another title without Pujols this time.

My position is that the WS is something akin to winning an exhibition after the National League season is over. I know, it's stupid, but I don't care. A successful season for me is one that ends with an NL Pennant.

The World Series is just delicious icing.

I'm not gonna lie - I'd love to see the Cards snag another pennant while Albert's ass is back home golfing and thanking God for telling him to take the biggest contract.

BigRedChief 10-15-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9017008)
My position is that the WS is something akin to winning an exhibition after the National League season is over. I know, it's stupid, but I don't care. A successful season for me is one that ends with an NL Pennant.

The World Series is just delicious icing.

I'm not gonna lie - I'd love to see the Cards snag another pennant while Albert's ass is back home golfing and thanking God for telling him to take the biggest contract.

So, anything less than a National league pennant is a failure?

Pasta Little Brioni 10-15-2012 04:05 PM

Our Time again eh?

Scott Pilgrim 10-15-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo (Post 9014861)

Or a guy who was given a start on 2 days rest

DJ's left nut 10-15-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9017049)
So, anything less than a National league pennant is a failure?

Depending on the competition cycle, yeah. If you're rebuilding and you get a lot of good experience for your players, build on some stuff and charge up for next year - then it's a success regardless of the outcome (the Nats, for instance.

If you're a team like the Cardinals and you have all the talent this squad has, when the season begins you should set a pretty decent goal for yourself. I don't think WS or bust is fair, but I do think that the goal for this Cardinals team should have been a pennant. Otherwise you're setting your goals too low.

If you don't reach that goal, the season can't be a true success, though you could certainly get around not calling it a failure.

Did the Braves have a successful season? I don't think the die-hards would say they did. The Phils? Marlins? Mets? No, not at all. Reds? Nope 98 wins and a first round loss isn't a successful season, not with the veteran stars they have on the roster. I don't think anyone else in the Central can consider this a successful season either. The Bucs collapsed down the stretch again and the Brewers underperformed so badly early that they made re-building trades that bit them when they finally got their !@#$ in order.

The Giants are probably going to call this season successful after getting through to the playoffs even after their injuries/suspensions. The D-Backs can't possibly like it, nor can the Rox. Maybe the Padres with their strong finish, but that's a 'rebuilding' squad under the rebuilding rules.

If the Cards lose the NLCS, I'll consider this a fine season, but not one I would call a 'successful' one. An entertaining one and one where some guys developed, but this isn't a building squad - it's a championship caliber one and should be held to that standard.