ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Offical 2012 STL Cardinals World Champions Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619)

Frazod 10-15-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9017134)
Depending on the competition cycle, yeah. If you're rebuilding and you get a lot of good experience for your players, build on some stuff and charge up for next year - then it's a success regardless of the outcome (the Nats, for instance.

If you're a team like the Cardinals and you have all the talent this squad has, when the season begins you should set a pretty decent goal for yourself. I don't think WS or bust is fair, but I do think that the goal for this Cardinals team should have been a pennant. Otherwise you're setting your goals too low.

If you don't reach that goal, the season can't be a true success, though you could certainly get around not calling it a failure.

Did the Braves have a successful season? I don't think the die-hards would say they did. The Phils? Marlins? Mets? No, not at all. Reds? Nope 98 wins and a first round loss isn't a successful season, not with the veteran stars they have on the roster. I don't think anyone else in the Central can consider this a successful season either. The Bucs collapsed down the stretch again and the Brewers underperformed so badly early that they made re-building trades that bit them when they finally got their !@#$ in order.

The Giants are probably going to call this season successful after getting through to the playoffs even after their injuries/suspensions. The D-Backs can't possibly like it, nor can the Rox. Maybe the Padres with their strong finish, but that's a 'rebuilding' squad under the rebuilding rules.

If the Cards lose the NLCS, I'll consider this a fine season, but not one I would call a 'successful' one. An entertaining one and one where some guys developed, but this isn't a building squad - it's a championship caliber one and should be held to that standard.

I think that's a bit harsh.

We lost:
1. HOF Manager (yeah, I didn't like him, but still, he's a HOF manager)
2. Marquee star
3. Arguably the best pitching coach in baseball
4. Staff ace for most of the season
5. Berkman and Furcal, two seasoned veterans who were key to our success last year.

Also, Garcia is done for the post season and Lynn and Wainwright are shaky at best.

Even if we end up losing in 5, I think reaching this point is pretty damned impressive, all things considered.

But obviously I want more.

DJ's left nut 10-15-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9017154)
I think that's a bit harsh.

We lost:
1. HOF Manager (yeah, I didn't like him, but still, he's a HOF manager)
2. Marquee star
3. Arguably the best pitching coach in baseball
4. Staff ace for most of the season
5. Berkman and Furcal, two seasoned veterans who were key to our success last year.

Also, Garcia is done for the post season and Lynn and Wainwright are shaky at best.

Even if we end up losing in 5, I think reaching this point is pretty damned impressive, all things considered.

But obviously I want more.

If we don't advance, then we failed to split a 6-game series where both sides had an even number of home/away games. I think it's time to admit that the Cardinals really should win this series.

If they fail, that has to be seen as a disappointment.

BigRedChief 10-15-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9017134)
Depending on the competition cycle, yeah. If you're rebuilding and you get a lot of good experience for your players, build on some stuff and charge up for next year - then it's a success regardless of the outcome (the Nats, for instance.

If you're a team like the Cardinals and you have all the talent this squad has, when the season begins you should set a pretty decent goal for yourself. I don't think WS or bust is fair, but I do think that the goal for this Cardinals team should have been a pennant. Otherwise you're setting your goals too low.

If you don't reach that goal, the season can't be a true success, though you could certainly get around not calling it a failure.

Did the Braves have a successful season? I don't think the die-hards would say they did. The Phils? Marlins? Mets? No, not at all. Reds? Nope 98 wins and a first round loss isn't a successful season, not with the veteran stars they have on the roster. I don't think anyone else in the Central can consider this a successful season either. The Bucs collapsed down the stretch again and the Brewers underperformed so badly early that they made re-building trades that bit them when they finally got their !@#$ in order.

The Giants are probably going to call this season successful after getting through to the playoffs even after their injuries/suspensions. The D-Backs can't possibly like it, nor can the Rox. Maybe the Padres with their strong finish, but that's a 'rebuilding' squad under the rebuilding rules.

If the Cards lose the NLCS, I'll consider this a fine season, but not one I would call a 'successful' one. An entertaining one and one where some guys developed, but this isn't a building squad - it's a championship caliber one and should be held to that standard.

If you are not the top team out of 16 teams every year, its a failed season? That is way too high of a bar.

Frazod 10-15-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9017165)
If we don't advance, then we failed to split a 6-game series where both sides had an even number of home/away games. I think it's time to admit that the Cardinals really should win this series.

If they fail, that has to be seen as a disappointment.

And if they lose, I'll be disappointed, but Christ, my other teams are the Chiefs and the Tigers. Hard to rip on a team that has overcome so much adversity and is still deep in the playoffs when the other two are mired in epic suck and don't even bother to show up for regular season games.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-15-2012 04:41 PM

They've made it farther than I expected. Productive season. Everything else is just gravy. I do expect them to make mince meat out of this Giant squad however.

BigRedChief 10-15-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9017177)
And if they lose, I'll be disappointed, but Christ, my other teams are the Chiefs and the Tigers. Hard to rip on a team that has overcome so much adversity and is still deep in the playoffs when the other two don't even bother to show up for regular season games.

yeah that is BS to win the pennant or you are a failure.

Yesterday I saw in person my football team totally lay down and put forth one of the most pathetic efforts

Contrast that with my baseball team show some true grit on Friday. They had a never give up, keep trying your best, we are all in this together approach. They give their best effort no matter how much they are down, how long the odds are, they just keep going, doing their best.

That giving of maximum effort, never say die scrappy team is the one that I want to root for, the one I want to follow. No matter the results on the field, I can be proud of their efforts and being a fan.

Frazod 10-15-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9017189)
They've made it farther than I expected. Productive season. Everything else is just gravy. I do expect them to make mince meat out of this Giant squad however.

Agreed. We're playing with house money at this point. Win or lose, I'll sport my Cards stuff with pride. And I won't even wear the other shit out of the house.

Frazod 10-15-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9017191)
yeah that is BS to win the pennant or you are a failure.

Yesterday I saw in person my football team totally lay down and put forth one of the most pathetic efforts

Contrast that with my baseball team show some true grit on Friday. They had a never give up, keep trying your best, we are all in this together approach. They give their best effort no matter how much they are down, how long the odds are, they just keep going, doing their best.

That giving of maximum effort, never say die scrappy team is the one that I want to root for, the one I want to follow. No matter the results on the field, I can be proud of their efforts and being a fan.

I figured you'd go to the Chiefs game with it being in Tampa. That had to suck. :shake:

BigRedChief 10-15-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9017093)
Our Time again eh?

maybe :thumb:

Was watching MLB's baseball tonight and the old geezer was telling about a question that he had asked Mike Methany about why Waino came back out to cheer on the club after failing badly, why all the players are always on the first steps on the dugout and not sitting on the bench or back in the clubhouse.....MM's response............. I think they are afraid that if they sit on the bench or go back into the clubhouse that Carpenter will rip their heads off. LMAO

BigRedChief 10-15-2012 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9017197)
I figured you'd go to the Chiefs game with it being in Tampa. That had to suck. :shake:

Had a lot of fun tailgating with my Arrowhead South group but it was hot and totally embarrassing.

Frazod 10-15-2012 05:21 PM

I'm currently reading through the Cards/Nats Game 5 thread on the NorthSideBaseball.com forum. Cub fans elated/nervous/furious/suicidal in just a few short pages. It's like popcorn for the soul. LMAO

Pasta Little Brioni 10-15-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9017323)
I'm currently reading through the Cards/Nats Game 5 thread on the NorthSideBaseball.com forum. Cub fans elated/nervous/furious/suicidal in just a few short pages. It's like popcorn for the soul. LMAO

That game was the World Series for them. Of course they ended up in misery.

KC_Connection 10-15-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9017323)

That's probably similar to the feeling I get when I read Red Sox loss threads on http://sonsofsamhorn.net/, except way more epic.

BigRedChief 10-15-2012 06:33 PM

Was that a dirty slide by Holliday? The Giants seemed upset about the slide.

KC_Connection 10-15-2012 07:00 PM

Tim McCarver doesn't want players to run into catchers above the waist now. Good luck with that idea.