ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Why Geno Smith fell in the draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272695)

BossChief 05-01-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9651455)
That's a useless response. Every GM ever > BossChief, after all.

You griped about 6 drafts. The only draft in that group where a QB taken after the Chiefs picked went on to win a SB (to date) is that Flacco draft. So, unless you were pounding the table for Flacco, you don't really have any point.

Haha

In a 10 year period, we managed to pass on 4 quarterbacks (that I can think of quickly, there are probably more) that went on to lead their teams to the superbowl.

Colin Kaepernick
Joe Flacco
Aaron Rogers
Drew Brees

The ****ing point is that the term "reach" is irrelevant to quarterbacks because of the upside their position comes with if the pick works out.

Let's say you want to buy a lottery ticket, so you go to the gas station.

Once there, you see that there are only 2 choices of tickets to decide between.

Ticket 1 is $10 and carries 2:1 odds of winning 15 dollars
Ticket 2 is also $10 and carries 4:1 odds of winning 100 dollars.

Which ticket do you buy?

Setsuna 05-01-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9651482)
If E.J. Manuel turns out to be a good to great quarterback for Buffalo then I'm going be upset that we passed on him. Take the best quarterback prospect in the draft when you get the opportunity.

He certainly will not be.

Chiefshrink 05-01-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9650511)
same here. he's gonna bust

He will be the next Ryan Leaf waiting to happen. Count on it :popcorn:

In NY ????:shake:

Rasputin 05-01-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9651508)
He certainly will not be.

I just figure Geno Smith would be better but I haven't seen enough of E.J Manuel so I don't comment on him. I don't know how he is going to turn out. For being able to make plays Geno Smith can do all that in the pros from what I've seen him do in college. IMO he was the best prospect this year but I don't know enough about E.J Manuel.

If the reports are true Geno Smith was more interested in texting or being on the phone than engaging with the coaches then I can see that as a red flag.

Chiefshrink 05-01-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9651459)
I listen to Colin Cowherd almost daily and he knows people that have coached Cam in Carolina and claim they have to use a limited playbook with Cam because of his attitude and willingness to put in the work and that a lot of his teammates don't like him because of it.

He also says that was a problem in college.

you mean 'unwillingness' ?

Simply Red 05-01-2013 11:18 PM

they say he's a real cock.

Chiefshrink 05-01-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9651516)
I just figure Geno Smith would be better but I haven't seen enough of E.J Manuel so I don't comment on him. I don't know how he is going to turn out. For being able to make plays Geno Smith can do all that in the pros from what I've seen him do in college. IMO he was the best prospect this year but I don't know enough about E.J Manuel.

If the reports are true Geno Smith was more interested in texting or being on the phone than engaging with the coaches then I can see that as a red flag.

College and the NFL is night and day difference as you well know and college you can get away with a lot of sh** that you will not be able to in the NFL. All you have to do is just observe Manual's responses on draft day compared to Geno and by maturity alone Manual will have a huuuuuuuge head start on Geno.

Geno is just a insecure narcissistic introvert that was allowed to not grow up because of his raw physical talent very much like Tyler Bray.

patteeu 05-01-2013 11:23 PM

Kudos to the former Geno advocates who are willing to admit that the Chiefs might be better off having passed on the guy.

The die hards who can't come to grips with the situation and fantasize about the possibility that this is just a fabricated smear produced by Geno's enemies are laughable. Come in from the cold, guys.

Oh, and Nolan Nawrocki says hi.

Just Passin' By 05-01-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9651504)
Haha

In a 10 year period, we managed to pass on 4 quarterbacks (that I can think of quickly, there are probably more) that went on to lead their teams to the superbowl.

Colin Kaepernick
Joe Flacco
Aaron Rogers
Drew Brees

The ****ing point is that the term "reach" is irrelevant to quarterbacks because of the upside their position comes with if the pick works out.

Let's say you want to buy a lottery ticket, so you go to the gas station.

Once there, you see that there are only 2 choices of tickets to decide between.

Ticket 1 is $10 and carries 2:1 odds of winning 15 dollars
Ticket 2 is also $10 and carries 4:1 odds of winning 100 dollars.

Which ticket do you buy?

No, really, your only point is that you want to cry because you don't have a SB winning QB, and you're lashing out with really stupid arguments as a result. Players are called reaches for a reason, and most QBs who drop don't pan out, just as most QBs who don't drop don't lead teams to SBs. Your argument would apply to Brady and Warner, but also to the likes of Tyler Palko, for crying out loud, because they all should have been taken at the top of round one since they were QBs.

That should tell you that you don't really have a point. Somehow, I suspect it won't get through to you. So, I'll tell you what you should do. You should get a group of buyers together and purchase a team. Then, you should draft QB with every single pick you get in the draft. Keep doing that, because you just never know which QB will be the one.

As for Rodgers, here are the other Tedford round one QBs (making the likely mistake of assuming Wikipedia got something right instead of looking for a different source):

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller

Yeah, any team that worried about a Tedford QB with all that greatness to look back on must have been crazy.

okcchief 05-01-2013 11:24 PM

As much as you love Geno you have to admit there is something every team in the NFL didn't like. The Vikings passed on him 3 times! Ponder and Cassel! Plus, look at the organization that picked him. I have always seen the talent, but there are obviously red flags. He may overcome it, and he may not. To me the story doesn't seem far fetched in the least. Most kids have some growing up to do. Some do, and some don't. However, there are plenty of unknowns in this draft.

Carlota69 05-01-2013 11:27 PM

If these reports are true, and Geno is a guy who already knows everything and you can't tell him anything, he will bust for sure! Granted he has the physical tools, but the mental tools are just as important, and that's rue in any career, athletics or otherwise. It's a basic ingredient for success, willingness to continue to learn and listen. If Geno is texting, and twittering and not participating like this report says, it's no wonder he didn't get the gig. You don't do that during a job interview. And being in NY won't help anything. He's going to bust, partly because the Jets are a mess, and mostly because of Genos entitled attitude (assuming reports are true of course).

Rasputin 05-01-2013 11:45 PM

If Alex Smith is here to be a stop gap and only until we can find a QB that Dorsey and Reid can live with in the next couple of years draft then I can be fine with it. I just don't want to be stuck with Alex Smith next 4 years and he falls apart with no one in the bullpen to replace him long term with great upside.

BossChief 05-01-2013 11:53 PM

The hard thing about both Geno and EJs situations is that they are in the same division as Bill Billichick.

If I'm Marrone or Ryan, I probably sit the kid their rookie years.

JPB just keeps making my points for me and tries to stick his chest out afterwards.

"look at all these other Tedford quadrerbacksz lolz"

THATS THE POINT, SMART GUY. All of the quarterbacks that have won the superbowls recently have all had serious warts when they were prospects and trying to predict future success of a quarterback from college to the pros is very difficult to do.

Mike Mayock had Gabbert as his top quarterback and Colin Kaepernick tied with Ricky Stanzi as his fifth.

It happens.

We didnt draft the kid and I love Eric Fisher as a player and person and if we can get Albert locked up, our line should be awesome for a few years. Should be fun.

RunKC 05-02-2013 12:02 AM

I wish people would quit thinking that Geno is going to be great like the QB's that we passed over. Just because we pass over him doesn't mean he's going to turn into Rogers, Brees, Flacco, etc. There are other QB's we passed over like Jimmy Clausen too.

There's a reason the kid got scrutinized. He obviously wasn't a first round QB or he would have been drafted in the first.
The kid has had some serious con's on his resume and some of them just make you feel speechless.

If I'm wrong and he's a good QB who goes to a SB, I'll be happy to eat my crow, but I just don't see it happening. I want a first round QB as much as the next Chiefs fan, but I want one that has a good resume and good traits. One we can fully get behind.

Jerm 05-02-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9651529)
Kudos to the former Geno advocates who are willing to admit that the Chiefs might be better off having passed on the guy.

The die hards who can't come to grips with the situation and fantasize about the possibility that this is just a fabricated smear produced by Geno's enemies are laughable. Come in from the cold, guys.

Oh, and Nolan Nawrocki says hi.

I was really high on Geno and wanted us to take him but now I believe there's just too much smoke for there not to be some kind of fire...the Bills take E.J. Manuel over him.....that is pretty damning IMO.

Conversely I believe Geno could commit murder tomorrow and there would be a gaggle of people on here justifying it....shit is nuts.