ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Daniel Sorensen Is A Liability (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=340188)

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15889284)
Mabye it's all those plays he made in the playoffs . I mean he did single handidly get us through to both superbowls.

Of course that’s part of it.

That’s the irrational blind spot I’m talking about.

Him making plays 2 seasons ago that he’s no longer physically capable of making today should have no bearing on his playing time.

But it very clearly is and that’s a mistake.

The Franchise 10-11-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15889289)
I think the argument was what I alluded to previously - a safety's job is to be the last line of defense; to make a bad play less bad. If a safety can keep an 8 yard run from turning into a 30 yard run, he's provided value. Think of what a problem Ron Parker was when he was making business decisions on every interior run play.

But here's the problem with that argument now. Let's assume for the sake of argument he's a better, more willing tackler than Thornhill - the juice is no longer worth the squeeze there. Sorensen is now cheating on routes. He recognizes his skills have diminished so he's taking shortcuts to keep from being exposed. He's biting on double moves, diving on play-fakes and taking himself out of position trying to make up for rapidly declining range.

He's now turning 15 yard pass plays into 60 yard pass plays.

He's unplayable. His strengths, such as they are, are simply outweighed by things he's doing to make up for his weaknesses.

They have to get him off the field.

Agree 100%.

They need to put Thornhill out there because they need to know if he’s in their future plans or not. If he’s not…then it’s another wasted 2nd round pick.

lcarus 10-11-2021 09:07 PM

I know PFF is a joke but I had to look up Sorensen on there. His rating is 35 lol.

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15889292)
This always happens, coaches/GMs her way to attached to players. You almost need to be sociopathic to properly evaluate talent.

And Sorensen didn’t do anything to elevate you and I into the historically great tiers of our profession.

It’s difficult to judge Andy for his loyalty here as Dan was as important as anyone in finally getting him a championship. But he’s wrong.

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15889304)
Agree 100%.

They need to put Thornhill out there because they need to know if he’s in their future plans or not. If he’s not…then it’s another wasted 2nd round pick.

I don’t even care about the future. If it’s not Thornhill it needs to be Watts or someone off a practice squad somewhere.

It’s about the present. This defense can’t function with Dan Sorensen in the starting lineup.

alanm 10-11-2021 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15889321)
I don’t even care about the future. If it’s not Thornhill it needs to be Watts or someone off a practice squad somewhere.

It’s about the present. This defense can’t function with Dan Sorensen in the starting lineup.

They need to give Bootle a shot. He played safety at Nebraska.

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 15889479)
They need to give Bootle a shot. He played safety at Nebraska.

Sure, why not?

Though wasn't Bootle getting routinely torched in the pre-season?

Which reminds me - can Devon Key really be any worse?

MahomesMagic 10-11-2021 09:50 PM

Fenton.

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15889533)
Fenton.

Needed out wide at the moment and he's the primary backup in the slot.

Asking him to also learn safety is asking a hell of a lot, especially on the fly.

I don't think you can ask that of someone who's presently taking critical snaps for your defense in several different roles.

KChiefs1 10-11-2021 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 15884516)
This entire defense is a liability. Its not just 1 guy.

Yeah it’s all shit but Sorensen & Niemann are the biggest turds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ's left nut 10-11-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15889570)
Yeah it’s all shit but Sorensen & Niemann are the biggest turds.

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

And I think he's also understating the impact of 'just 1 guy' in a league that sees coaches spending their every waking moments looking for matchups to exploit.

I'd trade 2 good players and a scrub for 3 average players every time. You just cannot have a gaping hole in an NFL defense - they WILL find it and they'll find it every single time a critical play is needed.

PunkinDrublic 10-11-2021 10:19 PM

The missed tackles and getting run over are bad enough, but he gave up that touchdown on the scramble because he was loafing. That is unforgivable.

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-11-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 15889610)
The missed tackles and getting run over are bad enough, but he gave up that touchdown on the scramble because he was loafing. That is unforgivable.

They're working him to death. He plays 100% of snaps.

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-11-2021 10:43 PM

Daniel Sorenson became a starter in 2019 so he played full time 2019 and 2020. Those happen to be the two years we played in the SB. Coincidence? I think not.

dlphg9 10-12-2021 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15889632)
They're working him to death. He plays 100% of snaps.

Except that he's getting torched from the very beginning all the way to the end. If he's exhausted and worked to death after 5 games, then he needs to call it quits.