ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Offical 2012 STL Cardinals World Champions Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619)

Frazod 07-08-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8725902)
Looks like we are gonna have to go get some bullpen help somewhere.

Ya think? :banghead:

Pasta Little Brioni 07-08-2012 02:29 PM

What did those turds do today? Was out gettin some sun.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8725932)
What did those turds do today? Was out gettin some sun.

Matheny thought Cleto was the place to turn when protecting a 1-run lead.

It wasn't.

Marte was kind enough to give up a 3R HR after Cleto put two men on without recording an out.

This bullpen isn't good, but Matheny is also particularly bad at managing it. Going to Cleto in that situation was asinine.

O.city 07-08-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8725940)
Matheny thought Cleto was the place to turn when protecting a 1-run lead.

It wasn't.

Marte was kind enough to give up a 3R HR after Cleto put two men on without recording an out.

This bullpen isn't good, but Matheny is also particularly bad at managing it. Going to Cleto in that situation was asinine.

This.

We need a right arm that doesn't suck shit in the dugout.

O.city 07-08-2012 02:59 PM

Well we've pissed away this series not being able to score a damn run.

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 8725864)
Trading two prospects isn't mortgaging the future. That's not in any way similar to what the Brewers have done the last few years. Remember, it was multiple trades that wiped them out, not just one.

And as others pointed out, your faith in these prospects becoming superstars may be misguided. Would you have been arguing this hard against trading Reyes, Rasmus, or Bryan Anderson when they were "can't miss"?

I was totally against the Rasmus trade. So WTF do I know.

But, I do know we cant keep shipping off our best prosepects for rental players and expect to compete every year.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8725956)
This.

We need a right arm that doesn't suck shit in the dugout.

On my Cardinals board I said we needed a lock-down 5 man bullpen. Matheny isn't a good enough manager to make chicken salad out of this mess.

What he needed there was Lance Lynn to turn to. He got stuck, as many mediocre managers do, in trying to massage the 7th inning. Right now he has 2 legitimate bullpen arms in Motte and Boggs and that's it. If he has Lance Lynne in his bullpen, he wins this game because he goes to Lynne in the 7th there.

The great managers can get by with a mediocre bullpen. They can mix and match and cajole until the staff falls into place. Matheny just isn't a great manager. He needs to have a 'pen where he can simply smile and dial.

This 'pen needs 3 more parts; 2 lefties and a hammer righty. Scrabble could do us a favor and become one of those lefties. Mozeliak will have to get us the other 2 because Sanchez is lost, Salas was never that great anyway and the rest of them are just warm bodies.

I'd strongly consider trading Shelby Miller for Tim Collins and Aaron Crow.

Frazod 07-08-2012 03:13 PM

Scrabble stinking it up, too. Jesus. We'll be lucky to get out of this inning without it getting any worse. :shake:

O.city 07-08-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8726012)
On my Cardinals board I said we needed a lock-down 5 man bullpen. Matheny isn't a good enough manager to make chicken salad out of this mess.

What he needed there was Lance Lynn to turn to. He got stuck, as many mediocre managers do, in trying to massage the 7th inning. Right now he has 2 legitimate bullpen arms in Motte and Boggs and that's it. If he has Lance Lynne in his bullpen, he wins this game because he goes to Lynne in the 7th there.

The great managers can get by with a mediocre bullpen. They can mix and match and cajole until the staff falls into place. Matheny just isn't a great manager. He needs to have a 'pen where he can simply smile and dial.

This 'pen needs 3 more parts; 2 lefties and a hammer righty. Scrabble could do us a favor and become one of those lefties. Mozeliak will have to get us the other 2 because Sanchez is lost, Salas was never that great anyway and the rest of them are just warm bodies.

That would probably work out pretty well for us.

I would have really liked or would like to make a deal for a starter.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8726004)
I was totally against the Rasmus trade. So WTF do I know.

But, I do know we cant keep shipping off our best prosepects for rental players and expect to compete every year.

Jocketty did.

The trick is to make sure that 'best prospects' /= 'best players'. Jocketty was a master at knowing exactly which of his players were legitimate ML prospects and he held onto them like grim death. He'd misfire on occasion (refusing to trade Aybar for Kevin Brown, who then kicked ass in SD for a year), but for the most part he was aggressive and it served us well.

I've been of the mind for awhile that Jenkins, who is not our best 'prospect' should be our most tightly guarded pitcher because I thought he projected best at this level. In my world, you trade Miller because he's the 'best prospect' but not Jenkins because he's likely to be the best player.

We pay scouts for a reason. When Shelby Miller was throwing 94 to start the year, our scouts would've known before everyone else's. Miller's star as a prospect didn't really start to fall until the last few weeks. He should've been dealt before then.

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8726012)

Does anyone not remember the Dan Haren trade?

Frazod 07-08-2012 03:21 PM

Whew.

Frazod 07-08-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8726037)

:#:#:#:#:#:#:#

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8726044)
:#:#:#:#:#:#:#

If Rasmus gets it together and becomes a perrenial All-Star we can live with that, not just because we won the WS but because it just wasnt working out for him here. Maybe with Methany it would have been different but we had a log jam in the outfield. Someone had to go.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8726037)

Haren would be like throwing in Jenkins.

Haren was not considered a gem within the system. He was considered a guy that was just another decent arm probably destined for middle relief or the 5th starters role. Hell, many thought Kiko Calero was a bigger loss.

He was a scouting failure. If you're going to cite Haren, it has to be for the proposition that you trade nobody. Because Dan Haren would most assuredly not be analogous to Shelby Miller.

The 'gem' in that deal was Daric Barton and I notice you didn't call it the 'Barton' trade; which was what it was considered at the time.

If you trade Trevor Rosenthal or Tyrell Jenkins and he ends up being a stud, you've duplicated the Dan Haren trade. The Mulder trade perfectly illustrates my point, though. It wasn't Barton (the 'stud' in the deal) that hurt us - at all. Barton was among the top 10-15 prospects in baseball at that time and dealing him didn't hurt us a bit because ultimately our scouts knew more than everyone elses did (he wasn't going to stick at C or ever hit with enough power for 1st). I think dealing Miller is likely to have similar repercussions.

Like I said - it's a scouting issue, not an approach one. We need to make the right scouting decision here and I think we have already failed in doing so by allowing Miller's value to depreciate to a point that we can't get the talent we would've snagged for him before the rest of the league saw him throwing slop.

Trading Miller for Hamels would be just like trading Barton for Mulder. You have to hope that Hamels is better than Mulder (likely) and that we don't throw in Jenkins for giggles. I absolutely remember the Mulder trade and it does very little to bolster your argument.

Frazod 07-08-2012 03:30 PM

Carpenter delivers - Freese with a chance to tie or win.

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8726066)

Like I said - it's a scouting issue, not an approach one. We need to make the right scouting decision here and I think we have already failed in doing so by allowing Miller's value to depreciate to a point that we can't get the talent we would've snagged for him before the rest of the league saw him throwing slop.

If Miller sucks so bad why would any MLB team trade anything of value for him?

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8726076)
If Miller sucks so bad why would any MLB team trade anything of value for him?

Because you're asking for 2 relief pitchers for him and everyone and their brother thinks they know something that nobody else does. Teams will still be intrigued by a guy with a sparkly Baseball America label because they think they'll be able to fix him.

You're not going to get star value for him at this point. You won't be getting Cole Hamels for him after his last 2 starts, that's for sure. But if you offer him to a pitching starved team like KC for 2 relief arms, especially when their GM prides himself on his ability to re-build a bullpen on the fly - well hell you just might get something valuable in return.

Do you happen to recall the guy we refused to include in the Mulder deal? The guy that was the next 'ace in waiting' and future superstar. The guy you certainly would've been referring to as a future CY winner?

Anthony Reyes. The unquestioned #1 pitching prospect in the organization.

Trading your best prospects doesn't hurt you. Trading your best players does. If we'd have traded Daric Barton (our top prospect) and Anthony Reyes (our best pitching prospect in a decade) for Mark Mulder, we'd have been a far far better team for it.

The window to get a Mulder returned has closed, but if we trade Miller now, we can probably get a little more than the Luis Perdomo we got for Anthony Reyes.

OnTheWarpath15 07-08-2012 03:43 PM

Great AB by Descalso.

Frazod 07-08-2012 03:43 PM

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 03:44 PM

Raffy!!!!!!

OnTheWarpath15 07-08-2012 03:44 PM

Catcher did a TERRIBLE job there.

OnTheWarpath15 07-08-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8726094)
Catcher did a TERRIBLE job there.

EDIT: The catcher did a terrible job handling the ball.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 03:47 PM

Tip o' the cap to the home plate umpire there. Most umps call Freese out because the throw clearly beat him there. Buck didn't block the plate and get the tag around, Freese did a nice job of finding the back of the plate and the ump got the call right.

Great win. And if you ever wonder if Tyler Greene should be the starting 2b, just go ahead and watch that AB from Danny D. That kid is just a dirt-devil and a smart ballplayer. Greene would've swung out of his shoes 3 times and taken a seat. DD just fought and fought and kept the AB alive long enough to move the line along.

Great great job by Descalso there and a smart AB by Furcal, just swatting at those outside pitches.

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8726096)
EDIT: The catcher did a terrible job handling the ball.

He sucks so bad the Royals got rid of him.

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8726092)
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

thats a good way to into the break. :clap:

O.city 07-08-2012 07:14 PM

We went to the game Friday, which was a shitty loss. Anyway, we sat right behind the Marlins dugout. I cam away thinking the Marlins are making a mistake by putting Ramirez at third. He just doesn't see comfortable there and doesn't really know how to play the position very well.

I know some here won't like this, but I think about making a move to bring him to STL to play SS.

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8726353)
We went to the game Friday, which was a shitty loss. Anyway, we sat right behind the Marlins dugout. I cam away thinking the Marlins are making a mistake by putting Ramirez at third. He just doesn't see comfortable there and doesn't really know how to play the position very well.

I know some here won't like this, but I think about making a move to bring him to STL to play SS.

no thanks. Too many reported issues in the media with effort. I'm sure there are many more unreported to the public.

He will be may too expensive and with a new stadium, no way they could sell that to the public.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 07:48 PM

Don't need boy scouts all over the diamond.

Bring Hanley in, have him play average defense at SS w/ his offensive potential batting 5th in your order and you're much much better for it.

Broken record alert: I'd deal Miller and Cox for Ramirez and Chishek and Oviedo without thinking twice.

BigRedChief 07-08-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8726445)
Don't need boy scouts all over the diamond.

Bring Hanley in, have him play average defense at SS w/ his offensive potential batting 5th in your order and you're much much better for it.

Broken record alert: I'd deal Miller and Cox for Ramirez and Chishek and Oviedo without thinking twice.

I'd be on board with that trade.

whoman69 07-08-2012 09:17 PM

If his D was questionable at short and he can't play 3rd, why not try him at 2nd where we don't have anything anyway? Still, never gonna happen. You can't give up all the pieces you have saved for the future.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2012 09:21 PM

Cox isn't being saved for the future any more than Bryan Anderson is.

The problem with Hanley is the incredible popularity of Rafael Furcal. The team loves the guy. He's a great teammate and his energy is invaluable to the clubhouse.

You don't play him at 2b because he'd pout and because his footwork would be an absolute disaster. Though if you could get him to be a good soldier, play hard and learn the ropes over there, you'd have the best starting 9 in baseball - Rangers included.

OnTheWarpath15 07-09-2012 08:52 AM

Keith Law on Oscar Taveras:

Quote:

The best BPs of the day, in order, belonged to Oscar Taveras (St. Louis Cardinals), Rymer Liriano (San Diego Padres), Mike Olt (Texas Rangers), and Jurickson Profar (Rangers). The first three all showed plus power, while Profar showed that incredibly smooth, easy swing that has him performing like he's about five years older than he actually is. Had the World team held its early lead, Profar probably would have won the game's MVP award.

• Every swing Taveras takes threatens to rupture the fabric of the cosmos, and his ability to take such a forceful hack and still make contact with balls outside the zone earns comparisons to Vladimir Guerrero and the pre-Cub version of Alfonso Soriano. Taveras' raw power in BP was much more than he showed last year in the Arizona Fall League, so that home run spike this year -- he has 17 already in Double-A after hitting eight in an equivalent amount of playing time in A-ball last year -- looks very real.
Apparently, Oscar hit a shot off the scoreboard in CF in BP. That's a ridiculous bomb.

O.city 07-09-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8726624)
Cox isn't being saved for the future any more than Bryan Anderson is.

The problem with Hanley is the incredible popularity of Rafael Furcal. The team loves the guy. He's a great teammate and his energy is invaluable to the clubhouse.

You don't play him at 2b because he'd pout and because his footwork would be an absolute disaster. Though if you could get him to be a good soldier, play hard and learn the ropes over there, you'd have the best starting 9 in baseball - Rangers included.

Furcal
Beltran
Holliday
Craig
Ramirez
Freese
Yadi
Jay
P

Would be pretty solid IMO.

Pasta Little Brioni 07-09-2012 05:13 PM

pre-Cub version of Alfonso Soriano ROFL Wrigley Field, where careers go to die

BigRedChief 07-09-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8728041)

Thats gonna leave a cubbie mark. :D

O.city 07-09-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8726618)
If his D was questionable at short and he can't play 3rd, why not try him at 2nd where we don't have anything anyway? Still, never gonna happen. You can't give up all the pieces you have saved for the future.

You don't want to give up all your pieces no, but you also have to figure a good majority of them aren't gonna hit what they are projected to be.

You know what a Grienke or Ramirez bring.

O.city 07-10-2012 05:58 PM

Would like to still have Chris Perez in the bullpen.

BigRedChief 07-10-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8731019)
Would like to still have Chris Perez in the bullpen.

that ship has sailed.

Anyone hear or give any credence to the Vasquez rumors?

O.city 07-10-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8731037)
that ship has sailed.

Anyone hear or give any credence to the Vasquez rumors?

What are they?

BigRedChief 07-10-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8731041)
What are they?

Strauss from the post dispatch says its the most likely deal at the present time.

O.city 07-10-2012 06:14 PM

The guy from the Pads?

whoman69 07-10-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8728041)

I think Wrigley is the biggest reason for the Billy Goat Curse. They play so many day games their club is always shot by June.

OnTheWarpath15 07-13-2012 07:27 PM

Waino might be the unluckiest pitcher in the league this year.

OnTheWarpath15 07-13-2012 07:59 PM

I hope they show a replay when they come back from commercial. Greene looked safe.

O.city 07-13-2012 08:11 PM

Bought MLB.TV for the rest of the year to watch the Cards and the game is experiencing difficulty and won't show.

Damn.

Whats going on?

OnTheWarpath15 07-13-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8738523)
Bought MLB.TV for the rest of the year to watch the Cards and the game is experiencing difficulty and won't show.

Damn.

Whats going on?

We're blowing another Wainwright start.

O.city 07-13-2012 08:14 PM

Our Bullpen is a joke right now.

BigRedChief 07-13-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8738537)
Our Bullpen is a joke right now.

We lost tonight because we didn't put the ball game away earlier in the game when we had the chance.

VAChief 07-14-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8738776)
We lost tonight because we didn't put the ball game away earlier in the game when we had the chance.

Certainly nothing that turd Fuentes would improve upon. If that is the level of "help" they are considering, I'd rather work to get a #4 type starter (Wandy?) for a Cox/Greene type prospect trade and move Lynn to the bullpen. Lynn/Boggs/Motte in the 7th, 8th, and 9th would be a huge upgrade for the pen.

whoman69 07-14-2012 02:11 PM

Berkman activated off the DL, Shane Robinson sent down. Berkman will not have a minor league rehab assignment since its felt that the Redbirds can ease Berkman into the lineup with plenty of options at first base.

OnTheWarpath15 07-14-2012 02:12 PM

This is as good a club Cincinnati fans are likely to see for a a while, and they can't get people to come out for a Saturday afternoon, nationally televised matchup against their biggest rival.

Unbelievable how many empty seats there are.

O.city 07-14-2012 02:35 PM

How much longer you guys think Rolen will play?

Pasta Little Brioni 07-14-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8739974)
This is as good a club Cincinnati fans are likely to see for a a while, and they can't get people to come out for a Saturday afternoon, nationally televised matchup against their biggest rival.

Unbelievable how many empty seats there are.

Is thier stadium downtown? :D

O.city 07-14-2012 03:57 PM

So, why is Shumaker not our every day 2b?

O.city 07-14-2012 04:41 PM

Also, why is Tyler Greene still with the club?

OnTheWarpath15 07-14-2012 04:41 PM

Some one please give me a decent reason why Tyler Greene is on this team.

"He's fast" isn't a decent reason.

OnTheWarpath15 07-14-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8740235)
Also, why is Tyler Greene still with the club?

:doh!:

**** you.

LMAO

OnTheWarpath15 07-14-2012 04:57 PM

Goddamn, Jon Jay turned back into a pumpkin this year.

OnTheWarpath15 07-14-2012 04:57 PM

**** you, Matheny.

O.city 07-14-2012 04:58 PM

Well that wasn't smart.

OnTheWarpath15 07-14-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8740291)
Well that wasn't smart.

Sadly, that's becoming a trend for our manager.

O.city 07-14-2012 05:00 PM

Don't know why at 0-2 you try and bunt still.

Chapman is just blowing us away here.

O.city 07-14-2012 05:01 PM

Thought that was a foul ball?

OnTheWarpath15 07-14-2012 05:03 PM

I've rewatched that 4 times, and still can't understand how that was called a fair ball.

Joe West crew, FTW.

O.city 07-14-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8740310)
I've rewatched that 4 times, and still can't understand how that was called a fair ball.

Joe West crew, FTW.

It bounced in the dirt, behind the plate.

Pretty sure thats a foul ball.

O.city 07-14-2012 05:04 PM

I guess no Motte, since it isn't a save opportunity?

OnTheWarpath15 07-14-2012 05:10 PM

Scrabble is exactly the guy I want coming in with the game on the line.

(what is the official CP sarcasm font?)

O.city 07-14-2012 05:11 PM

He's been shit this season.

O.city 07-14-2012 05:14 PM

Well.....

Damn.

whoman69 07-14-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8740315)
It bounced in the dirt, behind the plate.

Pretty sure thats a foul ball.

I didn't see it, but if it ended up in fair territory then its fair.

rico 07-14-2012 07:53 PM

Ugh.

O.city 07-14-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8740728)
I didn't see it, but if it ended up in fair territory then its fair.

I don't know that you could really tell from the angle, but it appeared to me the catcher made the play while it was in fould territory.

BigRedChief 07-14-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8740237)
Some one please give me a decent reason why Tyler Greene is on this team.

"He's fast" isn't a decent reason.

Why the **** was he in there with bases loaded and the game on the line? :banghead:

lcarus 07-14-2012 09:18 PM

Going back to the amazing World Series last year, my friend is a giant Rangers fan. Towards the end of Game 6, I texted him to offer up congratulations for his team winning a World Series. LOL! To this effing day, he blames me. To this day...

Frazod 07-14-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8741113)
Why the **** was he in there with bases loaded and the game on the line? :banghead:

I thought that was Holliday pissing down his leg with the bases loaded.

Oh wait, that was yesterday.

Swanman 07-15-2012 03:44 PM

At this point, Matheny is not a big league manager. I tried being patient, but that's all done now. Two things yesterday that make me want to shake him:

1) Keeping the bunt on for Jay against Chapman after he looked like a complete reerun the first two tries. I usually only see the bunt with two strikes gimmick with pitchers.

2) Putting in Marte in the 10th. He is pure shit. Motte needed the damn work and at his worst is 752% better than Marte.

BigRedChief 07-15-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 8742905)
At this point, Matheny is not a big league manager. I tried being patient, but that's all done now. Two things yesterday that make me want to shake him:

1) Keeping the bunt on for Jay against Chapman after he looked like a complete reerun the first two tries. I usually only see the bunt with two strikes gimmick with pitchers.

2) Putting in Marte in the 10th. He is pure shit. Motte needed the damn work and at his worst is 752% better than Marte.

I'm not ready to throw Methany under the bus. It seems that everyone who played with him from team mates to coaches thought he would make a great manager. Current core players like Molina and Wainwright love him as a manager.

Thats going to get a full season of OJT before I start calling for the guys head.

Besides I wanted Tony gone and I got my wish and a WS title. I really got no right to be bitching and calling for the managers head at the break.

BigRedChief 07-15-2012 07:48 PM

Anyone watching the game on ESPN? You see Molina in the dugout and the ESPN booth said he seemed "focused" from the booing? :D

Frazod 07-15-2012 07:50 PM

It would be nice if they'd focus on scoring more than two goddamn runs a game.