ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Wars Story: Han Solo Movie 2018 Spoiler Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303024)

BigRedChief 06-28-2018 06:53 AM

A Darth Vader movie focusing on what happened after his battle with Obi-Wan to Episode 1 would rock and roll.

Hammock Parties 06-28-2018 07:01 AM

Audience scores are ****ing stupid. It's not representative of the population. Just a bunch of ****ing basement-dwelling nerds pounding their dicks to negative attention online.

BigCatDaddy 06-28-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13608962)
Audience scores are ****ing stupid. It's not representative of the population. Just a bunch of ****ing basement-dwelling nerds pounding their dicks to negative attention online.

Critics are a bunch of Hollywood liberal elitist. Give me the real people any day.

Frazod 06-28-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13608963)
Critics are a bunch of Hollywood liberal elitist. Give me the real people any day.

I don’t trust either one at this point. Most critics are liberal elitists who care more about agenda pushing than movies, and most people are morons who just want more splosions and CGI comic book bullshit.

listopencil 06-28-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 13608852)

They can’t really remake the movie, but they’d go a long way to righting the ship by removing the five seconds where Luke disappears at the end so they can bring him back in Episode 9 and undo the damage RJ has caused.

Just bring back Luke as a force ghost in the next one.

BigCatDaddy 06-28-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 13608980)
Just bring back Luke as a force ghost in the next one.

That's not what people want. People wanted the ass kicking Jedi doing it in the flesh. Won't work but probably the way they go

FlintHillsChiefs 06-28-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13609035)
That's not what people want. People wanted the ass kicking Jedi doing it in the flesh. Won't work but probably the way they go

Yea, bringing him back as a force ghost is just another "**** YOU" to the people who hated how Luke was handled in TLJ.

JD10367 06-28-2018 09:42 AM

"Solo" is a solid film but after the financial drubbing it's taken I think they'd be stupid to tell more "backstories of already-dead people". They have to make chicken salad out of chicken shit and do something with the trio of Rey, Kylo, and Finn. Since they never actually SAID that Rey's parents were average know-nothings, they can still somehow bring into the story something that gives her more juice (e.g. she's Luke's daughter, or a descendant of Obi-Wan's). Maybe they do something like totally flip the roles and have Kylo get a conscience while Rey goes bad. I dunno. Something. Bringing Luke back as a force ghost helps, but they can't do anything with Leia (the one character they SHOULD'VE killed off, since Fisher actually died, instead of killing the two other actors who are still alive) so there are no other characters to get into the action at this point.

notorious 06-28-2018 09:52 AM

TLJ is a prime example of someone trying to be clever only to come out looking stupid.

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-28-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13608963)

Walt Disney always said that he would take his chances with the public and forget the critics.

listopencil 06-28-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 13609035)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs (Post 13609130)
Yea, bringing him back as a force ghost is just another "**** YOU" to the people who hated how Luke was handled in TLJ.

He did say "See ya around, kid" to Emo Ren after he forced the **** outta there at the end of the movie. It would be kind of funny to see a bitter, sarcastic Hamill following him around and heckling him at every turn.

BigRedChief 06-29-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13609132)
do something with the trio of Rey, Kylo, and Finn. Since they never actually SAID that Rey's parents were average know-nothings, they can still somehow bring into the story something that gives her more juice (e.g. she's Luke's daughter, or a descendant of Obi-Wan's).

That would seem to be a desperation move. They have already made it clear that bloodlines and the force are not how you can use the force.
Quote:

Maybe they do something like totally flip the roles and have Kylo get a conscience while Rey goes bad.

The good guy turns bad, the bad guy turns good is also the oldest writer trick to breathe new life into a tired tale.
Quote:

Bringing Luke back as a force ghost helps,.

They could bring back all the Jedi's if they go with the Ghost option.

listopencil 06-29-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13610594)
They could bring back all the Jedi's if they go with the Ghost option.

They had Yoda burn down the Keebler tree and they had Luke as a projection in the pivotal showdown.

Baby Lee 06-29-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13610594)
The good guy turns bad, the bad guy turns good is also the oldest writer trick to breathe new life into a tired tale.

https://media.giphy.com/media/hsvgxlruDnRgk/giphy.gif

Prison Bitch 06-29-2018 10:51 PM

As bad as JarJar Stinks was, the low point mat have been Yoda doing twirls and aerial somersaults in AOTC

It was so damn funny, I realized how childish these movies are. Now they're just a time kill to take my kids to

Bowser 06-29-2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13611245)
As bad as JarJar Stinks was, the low point mat have been Yoda doing twirls and aerial somersaults in AOTC

It was so damn funny, I realized how childish these movies are. Now they're just a time kill to take my kids to

I remember Dennis Miller making a comment about Yoda "jumping around like the one guy with a lighter in a crack house" right after that movie came out. Lol

Just Passin' By 07-02-2018 12:51 AM

Counting the Sunday estimate, Solo only cleared about $2.2m domestic this weekend. It's only cleared about $207m domestic to date, and it's not going to get to $250m. It probably won't get to $230m and might not get to $220m. Rogue One, by contrast, pulled in about $532m domestic.

At the foreign box, Rogue One pulled in just under $524m. Solo's currently sitting at under $162m, and probably won't make it to $170m. We're looking at a potential drop of something in excess of $650,000,000 at the box. That's a $650,000,000 drop and only a (generously estimated) $400,000,000 in sales.

With this disaster on top of the huge drop for TLJ, Iger would be crazy to keep Kennedy and Johnson in place.

BigRedChief 07-02-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 13613136)
Counting the Sunday estimate, Solo only cleared about $2.2m domestic this weekend. It's only cleared about $207m domestic to date, and it's not going to get to $250m. It probably won't get to $230m and might not get to $220m. Rogue One, by contrast, pulled in about $532m domestic.

At the foreign box, Rogue One pulled in just under $524m. Solo's currently sitting at under $162m, and probably won't make it to $170m. We're looking at a potential drop of something in excess of $650,000,000 at the box. That's a $650,000,000 drop and only a (generously estimated) $400,000,000 in sales.

With this disaster on top of the huge drop for TLJ, Iger would be crazy to keep Kennedy and Johnson in place.

There is no reason to talk about domestic box office anymore unless its a small film. It's just a part now. No studio is going to make a $200+ million budget without considering how well its going to play internationally.

I think we can all agree that the total box office take is what makes a movie successful in the eyes of the decision makers at the studios, the ones who decide if a movie or a future movie is going to be made.

Guarantee you that every American studio is ramping up their Chinese focus film departments. 3 films over $500 million this year alone will get their attention.

Just Passin' By 07-02-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13613189)
There is no reason to talk about domestic box office anymore unless its a small film.

Of course there is still reason to talk about domestic box office. The U.S. is still where the biggest chunk of box office money tends to come from. It would foolish not to talk about domestic box office.

007 07-02-2018 10:31 PM

Got to watch this yesterday. Way better than TLJ. Its too bad the fans have revolted causing this movie to not do well at the box office. But I definitely understand the sentiment behind it.

temper11 07-03-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs (Post 13609130)

Yoda, the proverbial "King" of the Jedi, died in isolation on some swamp planet in his little hut and then later came back as a force ghost.

I don't understand why so many think TLJ is such a monstrous departure from what Star Wars was. You can go right down the line of major complaints:

- No backstory on Snoke? What was the emporer's backstory? I remember as a kid always wondering WTF happened to his face! I don't remember anyone being all butt-hurt about the fact we didn't know. Then 30 years later, we found out and it was kinda cool to finally get that piece filled in.

- Snoke would have seen through Ren's intent with the lightsaber? The emporer didn't when vader, with one freakin' arm, picked him up and threw him over the balcony.

- Rey being strong in the force with no training? In Luke's first moments with a lightsaber in his hand and his second attempt in using the force, he is able to deflect - BLINDFOLDED - three laser blasts. At least Rey has been using and fighting for her survival all of her life with a lightsaber-ish type of weapon. Luke was an f'ing farmer!

- Luke abandoning the fight and hiding in Isolation? Yoda and Obi-wan did the same in Episode III.

- Luke deciding to not go with Rey at the end, but rather "fight back" in a different way? Kinda like when he throws his lightsaber away in ROTJ and defeats the emperor by tugging on the heartstrings of his daddy?

- Rey's no-body parents? Who were Anakin's parents? Shmi? A slave.

etc. etc.

If I had my way, none of the anti-capitalism BS, etc. would be in there either. Keep your liberal bullshit politics out of Star Wars please. But I'm fine with them making the hero a chick, I'm fine with them having her buddy be a black dude, whatever, whatever, it honestly didn't even really occur to me that they were forcing this new all-inclusive cast. There are all sorts of species walking around in SW universe, I'm supposed to be surprised by some ethnicity and gender shifts from one trilogy to the next?

I grew up on Star Wars. It was my first passion - and I don't feel betrayed by what Disney has created so far. They aren't perfect, maybe not even close, but I don't think they are worthy of the vitriol they are receiving. I hope what they get out of this fervor, is to keep the politics of the directors out of the movies. Period. But I hope they don't pull the plug for another 30 years because the "super-fans" scared them back into their shells. I've enjoyed having new SW films to look forward to. The news that they are considering pulling the obi-wan story, and the bobba fett story, and I assume the other trilogies, is a bummer.

temper11 07-03-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 13611245)

oddly enough, this is what many people were calling for. Or rather what they thought they wanted. I remember a group of us waiting in line talking about how cool it was going to be to watch a young Yoda kicking ass. Turned out really awful.

I therefore was really nervous about TLJ for the same reason. I never thought Luke was all that great of a light-saber fighter to begin with. Compare his battles to the ones you see between obi-wan and maul. Not even close. So for an old Luke to come back and just completely wreck shit to me was going to be too close to the yoda somersaulting fiasco. I liked how Luke went out. To me, it was exactly in tune with his character. Only thing I didn't like about the ending scene was when he did the shoulder brush off thing. Seemed campy to me and would have been more powerful if he'd have just walked out and waited patiently.

JD10367 07-03-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temper11 (Post 13614947)
Yoda, the proverbial "King" of the Jedi, died in isolation on some swamp planet in his little hut and then later came back as a force ghost.

I don't understand why so many think TLJ is such a monstrous departure from what Star Wars was. You can go right down the line of major complaints:

- No backstory on Snoke? What was the emporer's backstory? I remember as a kid always wondering WTF happened to his face! I don't remember anyone being all butt-hurt about the fact we didn't know. Then 30 years later, we found out and it was kinda cool to finally get that piece filled in.

- Snoke would have seen through Ren's intent with the lightsaber? The emporer didn't when vader, with one freakin' arm, picked him up and threw him over the balcony.

- Rey being strong in the force with no training? In Luke's first moments with a lightsaber in his hand and his second attempt in using the force, he is able to deflect - BLINDFOLDED - three laser blasts. At least Rey has been using and fighting for her survival all of her life with a lightsaber-ish type of weapon. Luke was an f'ing farmer!

- Luke abandoning the fight and hiding in Isolation? Yoda and Obi-wan did the same in Episode III.

- Luke deciding to not go with Rey at the end, but rather "fight back" in a different way? Kinda like when he throws his lightsaber away in ROTJ and defeats the emperor by tugging on the heartstrings of his daddy?

- Rey's no-body parents? Who were Anakin's parents? Shmi? A slave.

etc. etc.

So what you're saying is, in best defense to the haters, that the best we can say is these movies are carbon-copy ripoffs of earlier ones. :shrug:

The inherent problem is that none of this "mythology" really warranted keeping a storyline alive for umpteen movies. Lucas hit gold with the first film in 1977 by stealing a western samurai romance plot and covering it in outer-space trappings and cutting-edge (for the time) effects. But, honestly, the Star Wars world doesn't have anything going for it that warrants continuous re-telling and continuous new movies. "Star Trek" had underlying themes of exploration and humanity seeking out other cultures. The Marvel universe tells stories of different beings with different powers and backstories. "Star Wars" just has lightsabers and pew-pew-pew going for it. I was 10 years old when the first film came out, and it will always be my favorite film ever, but there was nothing there to call for so many sequels telling the same stories with the same plot devices.

Just Passin' By 07-16-2018 01:15 PM

The movie brought in less than $2m domestic last week. With Rogue One, once it grossed under $2m domestic in a week, it made only about $3m more total domestically. Right now, Solo is at about $212 domestic. So, even if it were to double up on Rogue One's success from this point on, it would still fall shy of $220m domestic, after Rogue One brought in $532 domestic. The domestic drop off from Rogue One to Solo will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $312+m, which means that the domestic drop off will be somewhere around $92+m more than Solo will gross.

And the foreign box is all but done, as well.

Huge drop from TFA to TLJ
Huge drop from Rogue One to Solo

Kennedy is running the franchise into the ground.

lawrenceRaider 07-16-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 13630844)
The movie brought in less than $2m domestic last week. With Rogue One, once it grossed under $2m domestic in a week, it made only about $3m more total domestically. Right now, Solo is at about $212 domestic. So, even if it were to double up on Rogue One's success from this point on, it would still fall shy of $220m domestic, after Rogue One brought in $532 domestic. The domestic drop off from Rogue One to Solo will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $312+m, which means that the domestic drop off will be somewhere around $92+m more than Solo will gross.

And the foreign box is all but done, as well.

Huge drop from TFA to TLJ
Huge drop from Rogue One to Solo

Kennedy is running the franchise into the ground.

Had the trailers been more representative of the movie, I think Rogue One would have done much, much better. It's a fantastic movie, but the trailer was almost like it was for a totally different movie. Wish I had seen it in theaters, but own it and have watched a few times at home now.

NJChiefsFan 07-16-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13630962)
Had the trailers been more representative of the movie, I think Rogue One would have done much, much better. It's a fantastic movie, but the trailer was almost like it was for a totally different movie. Wish I had seen it in theaters, but own it and have watched a few times at home now.

I don't really remember thinking the trailers were that off. What kind of vibe did you get from the trailers vs. the actual movie?

Easy 6 09-28-2018 03:32 PM

Rented this for later tonight, prepared to be disappointed but hoping I like it more than the critics did

Frazod 09-28-2018 10:44 PM

Shit, I forgot this was out. Need to pick it up on bluray.

lawrenceRaider 10-01-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13631013)
I don't really remember thinking the trailers were that off. What kind of vibe did you get from the trailers vs. the actual movie?

I felt they focused far too much on Forrest Whitaker and a gimpy line from him that sounded like they ripped it off of the tv show Heroes.

Frazod 10-03-2018 07:21 PM

Watched this again today. I liked it even more than I remembered.

More than any of the new movies, Solo really captures the feeling of the original. It's fun. It's swashbuckling. It has likable characters. No heavy handed bullshit or obvious agenda pushing.

Pretty much the diametric opposite of the VIII.

I don't know if it will ever happen now, but I'd much rather see Solo II than Episode IX.

Pitt Gorilla 10-03-2018 10:54 PM

As previously noted, I loved the movie.

mnchiefsguy 10-03-2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13788049)
Watched this again today. I liked it even more than I remembered.

More than any of the new movies, Solo really captures the feeling of the original. It's fun. It's swashbuckling. It has likable characters. No heavy handed bullshit or obvious agenda pushing.

Pretty much the diametric opposite of the VIII.

I don't know if it will ever happen now, but I'd much rather see Solo II than Episode IX.

This. If Solo had come out before Last Jedi, it would have made a shit ton more money. It is unfortunate that the film had to suffer the backlash for Last Jedi being so bad.

notorious 11-04-2018 07:49 AM

I liked Solo quite a bit.

I wish they didn’t force some things, though. Overall a very entertaining movie which pulled me in and not once did I want to do something else.

Bowser 11-04-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13865673)
I liked Solo quite a bit.

I wish they didn’t force some things, though. Overall a very entertaining movie which pulled me in and not once did I want to do something else.

Again, it's just too bad it was riding the wake of the TLJ disaster. It's a legit fun movie.

Not sure if any sequels are in the pipe, but it would have been fun to watch a young Solo and Chewie team up with the Mother of Dragons to take on Darth Maul in the gangster world.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13865747)
Again, it's just too bad it was riding the wake of the TLJ disaster. It's a legit fun movie.

Not sure if any sequels are in the pipe, but it would have been fun to watch a young Solo and Chewie team up with the Mother of Dragons to take on Darth Maul in the gangster world.

I wonder how they managed to let that time line ****up happen with Maul? If you've been following Rebels and Clone Wars you can see that it clearly doesn't add up.

Bowser 11-04-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13865758)
I wonder how they managed to let that time line ****up happen with Maul? If you've been following Rebels and Clone Wars you can see that it clearly doesn't add up.

Yeah. I suppose that in that holo talk he and Q'ira were having at the end, he could have had his mechanical legs already? I have no idea when Solo takes place as in relation with Clone Wars and Rebels, though....

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13865771)
Yeah. I suppose that in that holo talk he and Q'ira were having at the end, he could have had his mechanical legs already? I have no idea when Solo takes place as in relation with Clone Wars and Rebels, though....

By the time of Rebels, he has no galactic power of any sort, much less an affiliation with any kind of crime organization.

notorious 11-04-2018 10:57 AM

Don’t know why they needed to tie Maul to any of this. I didn’t like that part.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13865878)
Don’t know why they needed to tie Maul to any of this. I didn’t like that part.

It was a half-assed attempt at an "ooh-ahh" that made zero sense. I don't know why they didn't just go with black sun and then show someone like prince xizor at the end? Real SW fans( at whom these movies are targeted ) would have loved that shit.

Chiefspants 11-04-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13865929)
It was a half-assed attempt at an "ooh-ahh" that made zero sense. I don't know why they didn't just go with black sun and then show someone like prince xizor at the end? Real SW fans( at whom these movies are targeted ) would have loved that shit.

Likely it was a set-up for the Obi-Wan movie - as previous works have Maul surviving from his hate for Kenobi.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13866425)
Likely it was a set-up for the Obi-Wan movie - as previous works have Maul surviving from his hate for Kenobi.

I fail to see how when Obi-Wan killed Maul in season 3 of rebels.

Chiefspants 11-04-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13867666)
I fail to see how when Obi-Wan killed Maul in season 3 of rebels.

Disney has so far shown zero regard for keeping the canon consistent.

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13868446)
Disney has so far shown zero regard for keeping the canon consistent.

That's why they purged the entire EU? They've actually been on it pretty tight with the exception of this one mistake.

Chiefspants 11-04-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 13868619)
That's why they purged the entire EU? They've actually been on it pretty tight with the exception of this one mistake.

I think they make their exceptions when it’s convenient.

Why bring in Maul if they didn’t plan to take that storyline somewhere?

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-04-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13869561)
I think they make their exceptions when it’s convenient.

Why bring in Maul if they didn’t plan to take that storyline somewhere?

They'll probably try to pry it into a Vader film or trilogy. Just more disregard for the GOOD work done by people not named JJ or KK.

Discuss Thrower 01-16-2019 09:40 PM

Just finished Solo, though I wasn't paying close attention during the Corellia scenes I got the gist of what was up.

Liked this one a lot -the tone, the cast, the cinematography and the plot -it was all good. The whole SJW droid angle was hamfisted but at least they kind of lampshaded it with Lando's reactions.

Won't bother seeing TLJ given what I've seen through spoilers, but I can't help but think the Mouse could have avoided some of the backlash had they followed R1 with Solo.

MarkDavis'Haircut 01-20-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13615003)
So what you're saying is, in best defense to the haters, that the best we can say is these movies are carbon-copy ripoffs of earlier ones. :shrug:

The inherent problem is that none of this "mythology" really warranted keeping a storyline alive for umpteen movies. Lucas hit gold with the first film in 1977 by stealing a western samurai romance plot and covering it in outer-space trappings and cutting-edge (for the time) effects. But, honestly, the Star Wars world doesn't have anything going for it that warrants continuous re-telling and continuous new movies. "Star Trek" had underlying themes of exploration and humanity seeking out other cultures. The Marvel universe tells stories of different beings with different powers and backstories. "Star Wars" just has lightsabers and pew-pew-pew going for it. I was 10 years old when the first film came out, and it will always be my favorite film ever, but there was nothing there to call for so many sequels telling the same stories with the same plot devices.

This post might be the best explanation on Star Wars.

BleedingRed 01-21-2019 10:13 PM

Are you kidding me? This movie was better than I thought after watching in Netflix.

That being said I really want a Darth Vader going around galaxies killing Jedi movie

eDave 01-22-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14062527)
Are you kidding me? This movie was better than I thought after watching in Netflix.

That being said I really want a Darth Vader going around galaxies killing Jedi movie

I watched it last week on a Delta flight and I thought it was awful. Dialogue and pace ruined it for me.

Mennonite 02-05-2020 01:12 PM

Just watched this. I thought the scene of the train heist and the scene of the Millennium Falcon escaping the fighters were well staged. I also thought Chewie had some good scenes.

The story was fine and the dialogue was adequate, which is more than any of the other modern SW movies that I've watched can say.

Chief complaint: the casting. There's a fine line between "charming rogue" and "smirking douche" and the lead actor falls on the wrong side of it, imo. The rest of the cast was serviceable.

Minor complaints: the usual SW stuff. Goofy shit, pointless callbacks, writing for a sequel etc.

listopencil 02-07-2020 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 14064977)
I watched it last week on a Delta flight and I thought it was awful. Dialogue and pace ruined it for me.

I was steadily and steadily more annoyed by the movie as it went on. Right off the bat it opens with him racing away from this event that gets explained with some meh dialogue. I don't want to hear the characters talking about it. Show Han Solo being Han Solo. Open with that scene and make it really, really good. Let him be the charming rogue that ****s everyone over and comes out as the only one ahead. Then you don't need so much exposition in the dialogue and the writing can focus more on him being a smart ass when he tells his girl what happens. That feeling followed me through the whole film. That they put the wrong stuff onscreen and glossed over stuff that would have been interesting. Not always, but enough that I think there was a better movie in that story and they missed it.

Mennonite 02-07-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 14783066)
I think there was a better movie in that story and they missed it.

This is pretty much my feeling about every SW movie since Empire. Would it kill them to hire a top caliber writer?

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 14783854)
This is pretty much my feeling about every SW movie since Empire. Would it kill them to hire a top caliber writer?

The man who wrote the screenplays for Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Last Crusade, Silverado, The Big Chill, Return of the Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back isn't a "top caliber writer"?

Wha?

Mennonite 02-07-2020 01:32 PM

How would you compare the writing in Solo to what he produced 30 years ago? Where are the memorable lines of dialog? Are there any moments that you will think will become iconic?

Honestly, I actually do think the writing in Solo is better than the rest of the modern SW flicks but that is damning it with faint praise.

DaneMcCloud 02-07-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 14783877)
How would you compare the writing in Solo to what he produced 30 years ago? Where are the memorable lines of dialog? Are there any moments that you will think will become iconic?

Honestly, I actually do think the writing in Solo is better than the rest of the modern SW flicks but that is damning it with faint praise.

As I've stated repeatedly, it's next to impossible to get anyone of any stature to work on Star Wars films, including Speilberg, Zemeckis, Brad Bird, Andrew Stanton and many, many more. Even Irvin Kershner passed on directing Return of the Jedi because absolutely every aspect of Star Wars films will be criticized endlessly. Who wants to deal with that?

That's the real reason why George sold Lucasfilm: He was tired of being told that everything he did was "wrong".

As for Solo, I didn't have any issue with the dialog. IMO, the direction, cinematography and VFX were all top notch. I thought the casting was outstanding although I did think that Donald Glover's portrayal of Lando was too far over the top. He seemed like he was "acting" whereas Billy Dee is just smooth as silk as Lando, whether it's in the films or the animated series.

Since the release of Solo, Disney has put the kibosh on any further Star Wars films and they're working exclusively to develop more TV series for Disney+.

The movies just aren't worth the time and money at this point in time, making it nearly impossible to please the fans, let alone, hiring the most talented directors in the world.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-19-2020 08:16 AM

Love this film. It felt like an old swashbuckling flick. Great fun.

lawrenceRaider 04-19-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14783922)

The movies just aren't worth the time and money at this point in time, making it nearly impossible to please the fans, let alone, hiring the most talented directors in the world.

If they hadn't screwed up the ST, this wouldn't be the case. Still, with The Mandalorian, Disney proved they know how to make Star Wars content that is well above the mean.

Of course Lucas screwed up the PT. First movie could have been 10 times better simply by omitting Jar Jar, or at least not introducing what may be the most annoying movie character of all time.

Lets not talk about altering the OT.

DaneMcCloud 04-19-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14916522)
If they hadn't screwed up the ST, this wouldn't be the case.

I tend to disagree.

Had Disney/Lucasfilm made the Thrawn Trilogy with new actors, the fans that have supported Lucasfilm and Del Rey since the late 80's would have loved them, while those that didn't follow the EU would have hated the stories and especially, the recasts.

The biggest mistake Lucasfilm has made so far is continuing the Skywalker legacy. Had they created a new series thousands of years before TPM or a thousand years beyond ROTJ, they may have an easier go of it, although there was much more financial risk in such a move.

Quote:

Still, with The Mandalorian, Disney proved they know how to make Star Wars content that is well above the mean.

Meh, I know that a lot of people point to the Mandalorian as being good but I just don't see it. Sure, it's closer to the OT era in terms of feel but the stories aren't exactly groundbreaking or new, as The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series have covered similar themes.

I think the fact that they're not the Skywalker saga, nor do they break with any traditions or negate what's come before them makes them appealing, basically because they're "familiar", without screwing anything up in terms of OT canon.

Quote:

Of course Lucas screwed up the PT. First movie could have been 10 times better simply by omitting Jar Jar, or at least not introducing what may be the most annoying movie character of all time

It's not for a lack of trying. It's been well documented that Lucas asked every A List director and even some B listers to helm TPM but everyone refused. And the main reason why Lucas sold Lucasfilm was because he was tired of being told "You're wrong - that's not right", even though he's the guy that created the universe and can do whatever he sees fit.

If everything I created was viewed as "wrong", I'd quit, too.

Gadzooks 04-23-2020 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14916795)
It's not for a lack of trying. It's been well documented that Lucas asked every A List director and even some B listers to helm TPM but everyone refused. And the main reason why Lucas sold Lucasfilm was because he was tired of being told "You're wrong - that's not right", even though he's the guy that created the universe and can do whatever he sees fit.

If everything I created was viewed as "wrong", I'd quit, too.

As Far as I've seen, Lucas surrounded himself with "Yes" men at that time.
When every A list director refuses to direct TPM, that's the time where you should be asking yourself if it's a POS. Seems to me, he was in an ego bubble.

DaneMcCloud 04-23-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 14924541)
As Far as I've seen, Lucas surrounded himself with "Yes" men at that time.
When every A list director refuses to direct TPM, that's the time where you should be asking yourself if it's a POS. Seems to me, he was in an ego bubble.

You missed the point entirely.

Disney dealt with this same exact issue when trying to find a director for Episode VII and asked every A lister in town, to which they all refused. That’s how they ended up with Abrams and RJ.

People with solid careers don’t want to tarnish their reputation or deal with fan backlash because their film didn’t live up to the expectations set by the OT and the SW fan base.

As much as I dislike TLJ, I would never think to constantly bash RJ on Twitter or insult the actors, et al, which is exactly what happened time 10,000,000.

No paycheck is worth that kind of aggravation, especially when you can take on just about any other A List project.