ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

eazyb81 11-05-2013 01:13 PM

Big 12 released the 2014 schedule today.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArtic...CLID=209298567

I'm sure Fat Charlie immediately circled November 8th on his calendar.

ku will likely be riding a 35 game conference losing streak when the Clones come into town that day.

If ku can't end the futility streak that game, it likely will continue until at least 2016.

Pitt Gorilla 11-05-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10162310)
Saul suggested the Big 12 be referred to as a semi-Mid Major. I think that's true but only if the SEC-E is also referred to as such. You'd agree right?

Major, mid-major, et al. refer to conferences, not divisions. You may be stupid, but I doubt you're this stupid.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 01:19 PM

Texas has hired Arizona State's AD...not Luck. Holy shit...

Sully 11-05-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10162353)
2007: "KU avoided the best teams in the South division!"

2013: "Dude you're like totally stupid for separating out the divisions of a conference."

Literally no one has said that.
They are pointing out that, even broken down that way, the BIG? Is well below the 4th place division.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-05-2013 02:15 PM

Holy cow Bitch is one dumb mofo

siberian khatru 11-05-2013 02:43 PM

I don't think PB should be allowed to post in this thread anymore until he passes a concussion test.

patteeu 11-05-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10162723)
Holy cow Bitch is one dumb mofo

It's poorly kept secret.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10162816)
I don't think PB should be allowed to post in this thread anymore until he passes a concussion test.

This thread isn't long for the world, anyway. Maybe he can do better once the fourth volume begins.

In the meantime, if anyone is so inclined, a "best of" tribute to close the thread would be fun. Let's all post some of our favorite predictions (accurate or failed), beat downs, etc.

warpaint* 11-05-2013 02:59 PM

Just start searching for quotes of KK realignment prediction or analysis.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 02:59 PM

Here is one of my favorites...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8757885)
Interest level is almost too high. I mean, what if you want to attend every KU home game, but you don't have $66?

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/...ootballTix.jpg

Saul Good 11-05-2013 03:00 PM

Another beauty...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 8498428)
Good riddance.

Although Texas A&M is a secular institution, its student body has a reputation for being religious and conservative. According to a 2005 student survey published in the Princeton Review, Texas A&M ranked 13th highest in the category "students pray on a regular basis".[42] Four years later, the Princeton Review ranked Texas A&M the eighth most socially conservative campus in the nation.[43] The Princeton Review also ranked the university in 2011 as the "17th least friendly" college in the United States for LGBT people.[44]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8498446)
In the spirit of becoming a conference that is both secular and progressive culturally, we'd like to welcome Texas Christian and West Virginia to the conference.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8367888)
I have to hand it to Nebraska. They have won conference realignment so far. Nobody got a better deal than they did.

Nebraska: "Hey B1G, is it cool if we move in?"

B1G: "Yeah, I was going to invite Mizzou, but you seem cool."

Nebraska: "Thanks, man. Hey, where can I set my last place basketball team, my fifth place football team, and my worst-in-conference academics?"

B1G: "FML"

Saul Good 11-05-2013 03:20 PM

Spoiler alert...this never materialized

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 7880483)
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...ce=Post10Alpha

Big East could add Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri

With the Pac-12 on the verge of expanding to 16 teams and the SEC poised to add Texas A&M, officials on the presidential, athletic director and conference levels in the Big East, ACC and Big 12 have been burning up the phone lines over the last 72 hours.

The results of those talks could forever change the makeup of the Big East, The Post has learned.

According to multiple sources, the most likely scenario -- should Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech leave the Big 12 for the Pac-12 -- would bring Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri to the Big East.

That would create a super conference with 20 schools playing all sports, including 12 FBS football members.

"Obviously we're monitoring the landscape," Big East commissioner John Marinatto told The Post. "We're very aware of the situation and will continue to do what's in the best interests of the Big East Conference."
Marinatto, who sources said sent an email to all of his conference presidents and athletic directors, would offer no specifics and declined to comment on any school. But the league, which faces crucial TV negotiations in November 2012, is looking to best position itself for those talks.

The 12-and-20 alignment would finally give the members that play football a sense of security. The basketball schools would somewhat begrudgingly accept 20 members, knowing it would ensure the league's survival by expanding the league's footprint into the Midwest.

But there are other scenarios that can't be ruled out.

Although Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany recently said in published reports the possible expansion of the Pac-12 does not change his league's approach or timetable for any expansion, several sources said the Big Ten is interested in Maryland of the ACC.

It's a long shot that Maryland, an ACC charter member, would leave that league, but money speaks louder than league affiliation these days.

If the ACC lost Maryland to the Big Ten and the SEC took an ACC program as its 14th member, a possible Big East-ACC "merger" would create an East Coast super conference.

When the Big 12 nearly lost five members to the Pac-12 last year, the Big East had an agreement in principle with Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State. The Big East has since added TCU, making Iowa State expendable.

Missouri has dearly wanted an invite to the Big Ten, but one doesn't seem forthcoming.

The SEC might be interested in Missouri, which borders Arkansas, but sources told The Post Missouri sees a better cultural fit with the Big East than the SEC.

In order for the Big East to add a member, a three-quarters vote is needed.
TCU, which joins the league next season, does not have a vote.

That means 12 of 16 schools would have to approve the additions of Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 7880483)
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...ce=Post10Alpha

Big East could add Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri

With the Pac-12 on the verge of expanding to 16 teams and the SEC poised to add Texas A&M, officials on the presidential, athletic director and conference levels in the Big East, ACC and Big 12 have been burning up the phone lines over the last 72 hours.

The results of those talks could forever change the makeup of the Big East, The Post has learned.

According to multiple sources, the most likely scenario -- should Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech leave the Big 12 for the Pac-12 -- would bring Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri to the Big East.

That would create a super conference with 20 schools playing all sports, including 12 FBS football members.

"Obviously we're monitoring the landscape," Big East commissioner John Marinatto told The Post. "We're very aware of the situation and will continue to do what's in the best interests of the Big East Conference."
Marinatto, who sources said sent an email to all of his conference presidents and athletic directors, would offer no specifics and declined to comment on any school. But the league, which faces crucial TV negotiations in November 2012, is looking to best position itself for those talks.

The 12-and-20 alignment would finally give the members that play football a sense of security. The basketball schools would somewhat begrudgingly accept 20 members, knowing it would ensure the league's survival by expanding the league's footprint into the Midwest.

But there are other scenarios that can't be ruled out.

Although Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany recently said in published reports the possible expansion of the Pac-12 does not change his league's approach or timetable for any expansion, several sources said the Big Ten is interested in Maryland of the ACC.

It's a long shot that Maryland, an ACC charter member, would leave that league, but money speaks louder than league affiliation these days.

If the ACC lost Maryland to the Big Ten and the SEC took an ACC program as its 14th member, a possible Big East-ACC "merger" would create an East Coast super conference.

When the Big 12 nearly lost five members to the Pac-12 last year, the Big East had an agreement in principle with Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State. The Big East has since added TCU, making Iowa State expendable.

Missouri has dearly wanted an invite to the Big Ten, but one doesn't seem forthcoming.

The SEC might be interested in Missouri, which borders Arkansas, but sources told The Post Missouri sees a better cultural fit with the Big East than the SEC.

In order for the Big East to add a member, a three-quarters vote is needed.
TCU, which joins the league next season, does not have a vote.

That means 12 of 16 schools would have to approve the additions of Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State.

TomBarndtsTwin 11-05-2013 03:30 PM

Since we're reminiscing and all, here's a fun one from back in May:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 9690654)
Things are looking up. KU just landed its highest rated recruit in ages. Weiss will get this thing turned around.

ROFL

Bowser 11-05-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10162855)
Here is one of my favorites...

LMAO LMAO

TomBarndtsTwin 11-05-2013 03:35 PM

Here's another gem:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9696916)
Kietzman has been predicting since they left they will eventually ask back in. We'll see. There's still a lil bit o' "SEC! SEC!" left in some of their dreamers in the fanbase but after a couple more years of butt-poundings I suspect that will recede entirely.

Bowser 11-05-2013 03:37 PM

Lol, good lord.

If this thread doesn't make the Hall of Classics, there shouldn't BE a Hall of Classics.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-05-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10162934)
Lol, good lord.

If this thread doesn't make the Hall of Classics, there shouldn't BE a Hall of Classics.

It's pretty damn close to The Top 101 List. The "Academy:rolleyes: " better get em both in/

eazyb81 11-05-2013 04:02 PM

heh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9779241)
Kietzman predicts it'll go the other way, with schools leaving mega conferences. He said MU will ask to re-join the Big 12 in a few years, so who knows?

Bambi 11-05-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10162892)

whew. Thank God that never happened.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-05-2013 04:27 PM

Beaks to the Valley. Let's make it happen.

Bambi 11-05-2013 04:32 PM

Mizzou to win something. Let's make it happen.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race Card native (Post 7928932)
ROFL @ anyone that thinks TCU would ever have a chance in hell to make it into the Big 12. Not ever going to happen. The Big 12 doesn't want TCU nor would TCU want to be in the Big 12. UT's influence is enough for our AD to say **** that.

Nailed it.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-05-2013 04:50 PM

Embarrasing.

Saulbadguy 11-05-2013 05:45 PM

Remember when I hated the Bruce Weber hire and laughed at the Charlie Weis hire?

WHELP, STILL HATE WEBER...but, lulz.

Prison Bitch 11-05-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 10163332)
Remember when I hated the Bruce Weber hire and laughed at the Charlie Weis hire?.

No, I doubt anybody remembers a word that you've ever said.

Prison Bitch 11-05-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10162578)
Texas and Baylor appear to be doing well (as well). You, however, seem to have completely avoided my question; why did kansas choose to make their football team a "pile of crap" while Missouri did the exact opposite? If Missouri really isn't any better than kansas, why make such a stupid choice?

Why did Mizzou allow their program to have losing seasons every year from 1984-1997? Why did they allow their program to be a 2-6 pole of crap last year? Why did they hire Quin Snyder and destroy their hoops program? I don't know why schools make bad hires. I assume they don't want to, but you might know the real reason they make them.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 7932724)
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The world doesn't just "make" more 5 star players because A&M decided to move to another conference.

UT and OU will always be the number 1 choice for Texas recruits.

Just a quick look at the 2012 and 2011 recruiting classes:

Alabama: 1 Texas recruit

Auburn: 1 Texas recruit (Scam Newton)

Florida: 0 Texas recruits

LSU: 5 Texas recruits

IF more players from Texas start going to the SEC it will be to play for these bigger teams and not A&M. I know this is the SEC's goal by letting the Aggies in. They are getting used.

A&M is just replacing 2 daddies with about 6...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 7938583)
what?

I don't hear KU talking any shit.

They are a couple years from getting back to the BCS. Everyone knows that.

All over it.

Saulbadguy 11-05-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10163492)
No, I doubt anybody remembers a word that you've ever said.

BURN!

Saul Good 11-05-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 7943300)
huh?

They were winning in the BCS less than 5 years ago.

Why can't they go win it again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7943830)
Amy Winehouse just had a hit song around that same time. No reason she won't be topping the charts again soon.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7944408)
Name 3 city schools that have had sustained success in the last quarter century.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 7944430)
Columbus and Louisville are roughly the same size so if Louisville counts as a "city" then I would say Ohio State has had success.

Bambi was in the zone.

patteeu 11-05-2013 07:25 PM

ROFL

Saul Good 11-05-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 7945459)
some good twittering going on...

@ChipBrownOB
A&M AD Bill Byrne to #SEC commish Mike Slive: "When you face the Aggies, you better tape your ankles. Because we intend to win."

@KUTheShiver
A&M brings a crapton of fans and money - and they present no threat to our football powerhouse programs. #whattheSECreallywantstosay

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 7945645)
We'll never know.

At least I don't have boosters out claiming invites to conferences when in fact no one ever wanted a team thats never won shit.

nighty night :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 7945903)
Hes saying they are going to the SEC LMAO

Poor Missouri, passed over again ROFL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7945906)
If they're going to the SEC, it's because Mizzou said no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 7945910)
Never change bro, never change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 7945934)
I wonder what Mizzou's reasoning is for declining to join either the B1G or SEC. Because their know it all fans claim they for sure had invites. And there is clearly no positive to staying in the Big 12 according to them also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 7946049)
Apparently MU fans aren't the only ones out there who think "we have an offer to turn down".... lol

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_i..._expansion.jpg

Impressive display...

Bambi 11-05-2013 07:50 PM

The SEC's flagship program getting dumped on the eve of the SEC Network's debut.

You can't make it up. LMAO

WilliamTheIrish 11-05-2013 08:24 PM

I'm too bored to search, and it was probably in the first thread, but I loved the "KSU is anchoring us" to the Big XII".

That or the "We had options" banner post.

Prison Bitch 11-05-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 10163528)
BURN!

Well, I was just answering your question if we remembered what you once said that one time way back when.

Pitt Gorilla 11-05-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10163505)
Why did Mizzou allow their program to have losing seasons every year from 1984-1997? Why did they allow their program to be a 2-6 pole of crap last year? Why did they hire Quin Snyder and destroy their hoops program? I don't know why schools make bad hires. I assume they don't want to, but you might know the real reason they make them.

Have no idea what was going on from 84-97, but I imagine Babs had a role in it. Last year, they finished 5-7 which sucks, but injuries (and Yost) killed the team. Regarding each issue, though, they appear to have learned from their mistakes and have made better decisions going forward.

On a related note, why hasn't ku tried to learn from their mistakes?

Pitt Gorilla 11-05-2013 08:29 PM

So, Bambi and Rustshack are incredibly stupid. Not exactly ground-breaking information.

RustShack 11-05-2013 09:27 PM

Whoa I'm not stupid.

Eleazar 11-05-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 10163835)
I'm too bored to search, and it was probably in the first thread, but I loved the "KSU is anchoring us" to the Big XII".

That or the "We had options" banner post.

There was some of that circulating here, that the government in Kansas wouldn't let the schools split up or whatever.

I only tuned into 810 a couple of times online during the whole realignment madness, but I remember one time hearing KK play clips from Kirk Herbstreit where Herbstreit said plainly that he thought Missouri could compete right away in the SEC, and Keitzman then seconds later started mischaracterizing him and saying because the tone of his voice that Herb didn't mean what he said, and that what he really meant was that it was sure to fail. That Mizzou would rue the day, and that it wasn't even good for the basketball side of things, and that they'd be wanting to get back into the Big 12.

There was some other gold a different day when I listened, similar to what you'd read here, that the SEC wasn't interested, why would they be interested, there are no offers on the table, the whole thing was a false flag operation by Missouri trying to get a better deal from the Big 12... blah blah

I also learned a lot about the cookie diet, and barbecue.

Eleazar 11-05-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 10164111)
Whoa I'm not stupid.

I know your boys suck this year but they had better not let Kansas off the hook. Don't be the one who whiffs to keep the conference from batting around again this year.

RustShack 11-05-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10164156)
I know your boys suck this year but they had better not let Kansas off the hook. Don't be the one who whiffs to keep the conference from batting around again this year.

Yeah I thought Iowa State could get away from the upgrade in talent alone, but the major lack of experience all the way around is killing us. And several injurys to our young inexperienced OL. And our shitty OC.

Glad it's basketball season.

WhawhaWhat 11-05-2013 09:56 PM

This thread has been fun today.

Saul Good 11-05-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 7967969)
Speaking of Butthurt

bobfescoe Bob Fescoe
NO other defection from the big 12 killed their own states economy as much as the MU one could. Thanks #mizzou

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7967977)
Why would it hurt the state's economy? I see no reason that the Big XII tourney won't still be at the Sprint Center. If it moves, I guess the state will have to make do with the revenue that comes with hosting Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 7968121)
Why wouldn't the tourney stay in KC? If it leaves, it's going to Texas. Just one more reason to GTFO when you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7968246)
hey guise! let's play our tourney in a state we don't even have represented in our conference!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 7968260)
There's no way the Big XII will continue it in KC, it will probably move to OKC.

Good call.

Prison Bitch 11-05-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10163844)
Have no idea what was going on from 84-97, but I imagine Babs had a role in it. Last year, they finished 5-7 which sucks, but injuries (and Yost) killed the team. Regarding each issue, though, they appear to have learned from their mistakes and have made better decisions going forward.

On a related note, why hasn't ku tried to learn from their mistakes?

As I asked Bowser earlier, what happens if Mizzou has another poor season next year? You seem to think it'll be because they "didn't learn". Which is weird because Florida didn't learn in 2011, then they learned again last year when they went to the Sugar Bowl, and have forgotten what they learned this year. Rollercoaster! Could've all been avoided had they learned.

Pitt Gorilla 11-05-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 10164111)
Whoa I'm not stupid.

aren't you the guy that keeps telling everyone that ISU has improved? This will be their year? How else would you qualify such perpetual takes?

RustShack 11-05-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10164376)
aren't you the guy that keeps telling everyone that ISU has improved? This will be their year? How else would you qualify such perpetual takes?

I said it a few times. And the team was better the next year, just had a little worse luck and a harder schedule. I said this will be an interesting year because we lose nearly all our starters, but the talent level is improved so it could go either way.

I said basketball would be good the last few years, and they were. It's not my fault if you take good as great. Next year though, if Vaughn commits this spring we have a shot at greatness in basketball.

I don't know if you remember football and basketball before Rhoads and Hoiberg, but we have greatly improved under them. Paul overachieved with lesser talent, and now he's in a rebuilding year with young good talent.

kchero 11-05-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10164283)
As I asked Bowser earlier, what happens if Mizzou has another poor season next year? You seem to think it'll be because they "didn't learn". Which is weird because Florida didn't learn in 2011, then they learned again last year when they went to the Sugar Bowl, and have forgotten what they learned this year. Rollercoaster! Could've all been avoided had they learned.

Poor seasons will always happen, it's the nature of sports. The difference is our poor seasons still consist of wins while yours consist of well...you know.

Eleazar 11-05-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10164283)
As I asked Bowser earlier, what happens if Mizzou has another poor season next year?

So what? When you play in a conference as good as the SEC is, you're going to have some up and down years.

Prison Bitch 11-05-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10164462)
So what? When you play in a conference as good as the SEC is, you're going to have some up and down years.

Why? Gorilla says that Mizzou "learned" from their mistakes. He thinks that's what drives wins and losses: learning.

eazyb81 11-06-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10164255)
Good call.

I miss HolyHandgernade's posts. He had some gut busters.

Saul Good 11-06-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 7974145)
Over/Under. How many years after joining the SEC do Mizzu fans start having buyers remorse? I say during the first year you start to hear squeeks about it and during year 2 a full blown meltdown about how "stupid the move was" and with demands to go back to the Big 12.

This meltdown should be starting any minute. I'm hearing a lot of rumblings from Mizzou fans who miss their trips to Lubbock, Stillwater, and Waco. They are especially upset about not getting to make a road trip to Morgantown.

Saul Good 11-06-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 10164907)
I miss HolyHandgernade's posts. He had some gut busters.

HH was easily the most insane poster in realignment history. He made CoMo look almost intelligent.

Saul Good 11-06-2013 09:59 AM

al goes off the deep end...
Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 7974333)
Well, the problem is that I don't think Mizzou can even be Arkansas, which would be their absolute improbable ceiling. In the Big 12 north they have the potential to be quite a bit better than Arkansas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 7974343)
I'm sorry, but kids in the deep south are not going to Mizzou in any significant numbers. For Mizzou, it is going to be Texas or bust, and in the SEC it will probably be bust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 7974353)
Hell yes it does, for Missouri. If you are a school in the deep south or Texas, then the SEC may help or at worst be a lateral move. Missouri will take a hit. If you are in Texas and you want to play with or against the 4 Texas Big 12 schools, Missouri is basically option #3, maybe #4 at worst.

In the SEC, Mizzou is so far down the list you won't even be able to see them in the pitch-dark hole, behind just about every other SEC team other than maybe Kentucky and a couple others.

Bambi 11-06-2013 11:42 AM

With some of this quoting you would have actually thought Mizzou had accomplished something in the SEC.

Prison Bitch 11-06-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10165299)
With some of this quoting you would have actually thought Mizzou had accomplished something in the SEC.

Last year never happened, just like 120 years of splitting with KU football never happened. The cognitive dissonance of the Mizzou fan is awe inspiring given they've accomplished nothing in their history.

Pitt Gorilla 11-06-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10165311)
Last year never happened, just like 120 years of splitting with KU football never happened. The cognitive dissonance of the Mizzou fan is awe inspiring given they've accomplished nothing in their history.

I would look at the last five years or so to determine where the programs are trending. If we look at what has happened since the 2007 season (when both schools did incredibly well),

MU: 49-25 (66%)
ku: 21-48 (30%)

That, of course, includes Missouri's "horrible" season last year. It appears that Missouri chose to utilize 2007 as a foundation for their future; kansas, apparently, chose to make it an anomaly.

Eleazar 11-06-2013 12:51 PM

One program is having arguably their best season ever, and has mostly continued winning football games since 2007.

The other school as spent those 6 years breaking apart, and will soon be on its fourth head coach and it's fourth year without a conference win since Arrowhead Armageddon.

It's the difference between a ship that's sailing but hasn't yet arrived at its destination, and one that struck an iceberg and is burying itself in the silt.

kepp 11-06-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10165497)
One program is having arguably their best season ever, and has mostly continued winning football games since 2007.

The other school as spent those 6 years breaking apart, and will soon be on its fourth head coach and it's fourth year without a conference win since Arrowhead Armageddon.

It's the difference between a ship that's sailing but hasn't yet arrived at its destination, and one that struck an iceberg and is burying itself in the silt.

In mid air

Saul Good 11-06-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 7977319)
MU is stuck. They think they have some sort of power. They don't. The SEC doesn't want them and the Big XII could care less about their antics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 7985982)
Oh the irony. Who has been doing the feet stomping?

The wallflower is still setting there and nobody cares do dance.

Kind of sad really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 7986066)
ROFL The left over conference, the only left over conference that has a place for Mizzou.

Big 10, no thanks
SEC, no thanks

Here is an idea since they are such a football powerhouse. Join ND and go independent, yeah, that's it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 8001623)
A&M is on its way to becoming SMU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8006937)
I finally had t turn in to hear Jack Harry meltdown. He's hilarious. I can't believe he honestly thinks the Big 12 would and should keep the tourny in Missouri if Mizzou leaves the conference. Have another drink Jack...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8007011)
And soon, KC, MO won't be in the middle of Big XII country, nor will it be a Big XII city. What I can't believe is that people from KC, MO would think the Big XII would want to continue it in KC, MO. It makes absolutely no sense. It will move to OKC and spots in Texas. I don't know why people would think the conference would be hunky dory with giving a non Big XII city revenues generated from a Big XII event. Does any other Big 6 conference do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8007078)
Here's the thing. KU, KSU and ISU fans all benefit from it staying in KC, but seven other schools don't. There's no way the Big XII as a whole supports it and there's no way those three schools would put up much of a fight to try. More of a "it sucks, but what are you going to do, reward Missouri?"

I've been to OKC Bricktown. If they decide to settle in there and give them a chance to make it there own, it could still be a great event. It will never be KC, but, that's one of the traditions that gets tossed aside in these 100 year decisions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 8007093)
How is quitting on a conference the right thing? Hell, the SEC schools have voted to keep MU out.

Bambi 11-06-2013 03:44 PM

Saul, did you ever get around to finding that link proving KU is the most penalized team in college sports history?

Or are you content with just being wrong?

Prison Bitch 11-06-2013 03:47 PM

Someone should post his finding NFL home field was only worth 1/2 point. That belongs in the Hall of Stupid

Mr_Tomahawk 11-06-2013 04:39 PM

Any truth to the rumors of Saban's interest in Texas....leaving the SEC for the Big12?

Saul Good 11-06-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10166066)
Any truth to the rumors of Saban's interest in Texas....leaving the SEC for the Big12?

Hope so, but I doubt it.

Saul Good 11-06-2013 05:09 PM

It's going to be hard to fire a coach who is breezing through the Big 12 and is in line for a BCS bowl, though.

Prison Bitch 11-06-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Texas is the best job of course but I doubt he leaves. I wonder if they'd tear down his statue Paterno-style if he bolted.

Eleazar 11-06-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure why he'd ever leave, except "dollar signs", but even then he couldn't do any more at Texas than he has done at Bama

Saulbadguy 11-06-2013 07:04 PM

I'll just leave this here.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...ketball-opener

Quote:

Hoping to lure students to its women's basketball opener, Kansas State wanted to offer a giveaway that the kids couldn't refuse.

Free bacon!

The school announced the promotion on its Twitter feed Tuesday, with the plan to have its concessionaire, Sodexo, cook 100 pounds of bacon that would be served to students an hour before the game.

Kansas State is frying up 300 pounds of bacon to give away to students before the women's basketball season opener against Tennessee State on Friday night.
"We wanted to do something food-related to make a splash," Kansas State athletics spokesman Randy Peterson told ESPN.com on Wednesday morning. "We've done free pizza before, but every college kid has access to pizza. It's a little harder to get bacon."

But the promotion garnered so much attention, Kansas State wants to make sure every student who attends gets the promised boat of bacon -- a paper container that will be filled to the top with bacon.

"Due to demand and the activity on social media, the bacon order has now increased from 100 pounds to 300 pounds," Peterson said.

Peterson said the increased order is expected to feed about 750 people. All students get free admission to women's basketball games with a student ID.

The program is trying to learn from a mistake it made on Dec. 28, 2004, when it offered $1 hot dogs during a basketball game against Rutgers. So many fans took advantage of the promotion that they ran out before the end of the first half, Peterson said.

Kansas State, which plays Tennessee State on Friday, has ranked among the top 35 schools in women's basketball attendance for the past 12 seasons

warpaint* 11-06-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10166208)
Texas is the best job of course but I doubt he leaves. I wonder if they'd tear down his statue Paterno-style if he bolted.

I have long considered Texas & Florida to be jobs 1 & 1a in the country, being able to argue either as the very best.

I know this is just fan voting & doesn't mean anything substantial but thought it was interesting that most of the country thinks Alabama is a better job than Texas,

http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPoll...pollId=4036913

probably attributable to conference association & recent success but I agree w/ you.

Texas is in a power league & has an easier path to the NC. Furthermore they can & do match anyone in terms of $, facilities, talent, history.

But the differences are so slim that jumping from Alabama to Texas is ostensibly a lateral move. I'll be surprised if it happens.

Bambi 11-07-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Texas is the top job in CFB and Saban is the top coach so it makes sense.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10167082)
Texas is the top job in CFB and Saban is the top coach so it makes sense.

This is true.

Nobody does less with more than the Longhorns. Texas has one national title in the last 40 years and only two Big 12 titles ever. Saban is 62 years old, though. Let's say he coaches five more years...all at Texas...and doesn't win. Then what?

If he wins one title, it will prove that the best coach in history can win a championship at Texas. Nothing shocking about that. But if he can't...then what?

I'd like to see it happen...both to get Saban away from Bama and to see the spectacle of him at Texas.

patteeu 11-07-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167186)
This is true.

Nobody does less with more than the Longhorns. Texas has one national title in the last 40 years and only two Big 12 titles ever. Saban is 62 years old, though. Let's say he coaches five more years...all at Texas...and doesn't win. Then what?

If he wins one title, it will prove that the best coach in history can win a championship at Texas. Nothing shocking about that. But if he can't...then what?

I'd like to see it happen...both to get Saban away from Bama and to see the spectacle of him at Texas.

I'd like to see it too, although I'd want him to bring success to Texas. But I agree with your point that there's a really good chance that moving to Texas will only diminish his legacy. He can go out on top if he stays at Alabama.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167220)
I'd like to see it too, although I'd want him to bring success to Texas. But I agree with your point that there's a really good chance that moving to Texas will only diminish his legacy. He can go out on top if he stays at Alabama.

I don't think it would diminish his legacy if he didn't win. I think it would be pretty embarrassing for Texas, though...especially if the SEC wins a few more titles during that span.

patteeu 11-07-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167230)
I don't think it would diminish his legacy if he didn't win. I think it would be pretty embarrassing for Texas, though...especially if the SEC wins a few more titles during that span.

Oh, OK. I think it would tarnish his legacy a little bit if he didn't at least win some conference championships considering the expectations and the undeniable fact that there are no real excuses for failure at Texas. But I don't think he'd fail. I think he'd be able to have Texas at the top of the Big12 and in the national championship hunt at a minimum.

Bambi 11-07-2013 10:06 AM

SEC Network about to launch and the most vital coach in the conference is about to bolt.

wow

patteeu 11-07-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10167284)
SEC Network about to launch and the most vital coach in the conference is about to bolt.

wow

I don't think the SEC's fortunes rest on the retention of any single coach. There's no shortage of coaches in conferences like the Big 12 that would leave their current schools to coach in the SEC and the conference will continue to field a disproportionate share of the best football teams in the country with or without Saban.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167263)
Oh, OK. I think it would tarnish his legacy a little bit if he didn't at least win some conference championships considering the expectations and the undeniable fact that there are no real excuses for failure at Texas. But I don't think he'd fail. I think he'd be able to have Texas at the top of the Big12 and in the national championship hunt at a minimum.

It would be interesting for sure. It's hard to say what Texas has in terms of talent on their roster. They have rolled through the Big 12, but they lost to BYU and Ole Miss by a combined 40 points.

They will be 6-0 in the Big 12 after Saturday. Then, they get a good Oklahoma State team at home, an okay Tech team at home, and a tough game at Baylor to end the season. If they win out (10-2), Big 12 champs, Orange Bowl...they can't fire Mack, can they? Even if they drop one game, they are a bowl win away from 10 wins.

On the flip side, they could lose two of three to finish 8-4...and then lose a bowl game to go 8-5. If that happens, you have to wonder if they have the horses needed to win right away.

If Saban can walk into an Ohio State type situation, he might take it. If he sees it as a full blown rebuild, I'm not so sure a guy who will be 63 next season wants to take that on.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10167284)

wow

Speaking of networks, what was up with the KU game the other night? Was it televised? I heard a lot of people bitching about it.

patteeu 11-07-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167303)
It would be interesting for sure. It's hard to say what Texas has in terms of talent on their roster. They have rolled through the Big 12, but they lost to BYU and Ole Miss by a combined 40 points.

They will be 6-0 in the Big 12 after Saturday. Then, they get a good Oklahoma State team at home, an okay Tech team at home, and a tough game at Baylor to end the season. If they win out (10-2), Big 12 champs, Orange Bowl...they can't fire Mack, can they? Even if they drop one game, they are a bowl win away from 10 wins.

On the flip side, they could lose two of three to finish 8-4...and then lose a bowl game to go 8-5. If that happens, you have to wonder if they have the horses needed to win right away.

If Saban can walk into an Ohio State type situation, he might take it. If he sees it as a full blown rebuild, I'm not so sure a guy who will be 63 next season wants to take that on.

Yeah, that all makes sense. I have to think that they have talent on their roster even if it doesn't perform for Brown late this season (not sure about QB though), but it's kind of hard to see a scenario where they do bad enough to get Brown fired now. It would be nice if Brown decided to retire on his own, but that's probably wishful thinking.