ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

kcchiefsus 11-07-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167296)
I don't think the SEC's fortunes rest on the retention of any single coach. There's no shortage of coaches in conferences like the Big 12 that would leave their current schools to coach in the SEC and the conference will continue to field a disproportionate share of the best football teams in the country with or without Saban.

Why respond? Bambi, aka Wickedson, aka douchebag, is just trolling. He doesn't deserve a legit response.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167312)
Yeah, that all makes sense. I have to think that they have talent on their roster even if it doesn't perform for Brown late this season (not sure about QB though), but it's kind of hard to see a scenario where they do bad enough to get Brown fired now. It would be nice if Brown decided to retire on his own, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Brown has a huge buyout. He isn't going anywhere on his own. That isn't to say that that won't buy him out or cut some sort of exit deal, but he would be nuts to leave that kind of coin on the table.

Texas has a ton of money, but hiring a new coach for basketball (buyout for Barnes) and a new coach for football (buyout for Brown plus $10,000,000 for Saban) is a LOT of dough.

Eleazar 11-07-2013 10:37 AM

The SEC was the biggest game in town before Saban was at Bama, and would still be forever afterward.

I could see why Texas might be a bigger job than Alabama. With Bama, you own the best job in college football. In Austin you'd own a whole conference. ROFL

I would like to see him go to Texas though. If he stays at Bama and dominates college football for 10 more years, that's not as interesting as seeing if he can have the level of success he's had at a third school. (Or fourth I suppose if you cound MSU)

I don't see what's in it for him, though. If he's making $6 million or whatever and Texas offers him $20 million, ok, I can see it. But... what does he gain if the money isn't significant?

Moving to an easier conference would help him bolster his legacy from the perspective that it would be easier to win national championships from Texas, I suppose I could see that.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10167349)
The SEC was the biggest game in town before Saban was at Bama, and would still be forever afterward.

I could see why Texas might be a bigger job than Alabama. With Bama, you own the best job in college football. In Austin you'd own a whole conference. ROFL

I would like to see him go to Texas though. If he stays at Bama and dominates college football for 10 more years, that's not as interesting as seeing if he can have the level of success he's had at a third school. (Or fourth I suppose if you cound MSU)

I don't see what's in it for him, though. If he's making $6 million or whatever and Texas offers him $20 million, ok, I can see it. But... what does he gain if the money isn't significant?

Moving to an easier conference would help him bolster his legacy from the perspective that it would be easier to win national championships from Texas, I suppose I could see that.

If he goes to Texas, it won't be because it's easier to win championships there. It may be easier in five years, but it isn't easier today given the current state of the programs. Saban doesn't look at jobs in terms of 10 year plans. He doesn't stay anywhere that long, and he well be 73 years old by then.

I say it's 60/40 that he stays at Bama.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 10166536)
I have long considered Texas & Florida to be jobs 1 & 1a in the country, being able to argue either as the very best.

I

I think you have to put Texas ahead simply based on where it's at. Never been to Gainesville and it may be nice, but I can't imagine it holds a candle to Austin.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167337)
Brown has a huge buyout. He isn't going anywhere on his own. That isn't to say that that won't buy him out or cut some sort of exit deal, but he would be nuts to leave that kind of coin on the table.

Texas has a ton of money, but hiring a new coach for basketball (buyout for Barnes) and a new coach for football (buyout for Brown plus $10,000,000 for Saban) is a LOT of dough.

First, it's a piss in the wind for Texas. They're doing 175M/per in revenue, blowing out the rest of college sports. As Deloss Dodds once said: "People talk about keeping up with the Joneses. We are the Jones."

Second, if you read the AP article on this, they have private donors everywhere that would put up the cash. Tom Hicks spent $250M on A-Rod, he wouldn't care about far less for Saban. A bored Texan with money to burn is a dangerous thing.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 11:03 AM

OU at Baylor (-15) tonight. Sagarin has it at -13.5 so a bit different in Vegas. I can't remember the last time OU was more than a two TD dog in Big 12 play. Good thing Baylor finally "learned their lessons" on how to win.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 11:04 AM

$10,000,000 a year is still a ton of cash. A-Rod was an investment...that went bad. Saban isn't an investment. There is no financial return to the donor.

Still...if the last three Big 12 champions wind up being Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Baylor...Texas is going to come unglued...so you never know what they might be willing to do. (Plus, there's the tiny matter of aTm running circles around the Longhorns in terms of recent success, exposure, recruiting, etc.)

It's bad enough for Texas to be the second best team in the state behind aTm. Being behind aTm AND Baylor, though? That's nuts. (And they could still finish behind Tech.)

Eleazar 11-07-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10167440)
OU at Baylor (-15) tonight. Sagarin has it at -13.5 so a bit different in Vegas. I can't remember the last time OU was more than a two TD dog in Big 12 play. Good thing Baylor finally "learned their lessons" on how to win.

Certainly, Baylor has entrenched themselves as a national power in college football.

Bowser 11-07-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10167284)
SEC Network about to launch and the most vital coach in the conference is about to bolt.

wow

OH THE DRAMA!!!1

If Texas wants him, they'll throw a fleet of Brink's trucks at him to get him. I'd be genuinely surprised if Alabama didn't match the offer, though.

The one reason Saban would consider it - ego. The thought of winning three national titles with three different schools might be a draw for a guy with an ego like Saban's.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10167506)
Certainly, Baylor has entrenched themselves as a national power in college football.

They learned how to win.

Bambi 11-07-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167296)
I don't think the SEC's fortunes rest on the retention of any single coach. There's no shortage of coaches in conferences like the Big 12 that would leave their current schools to coach in the SEC and the conference will continue to field a disproportionate share of the best football teams in the country with or without Saban.

Of course. Saban may come to the Big 12 and not even be the best coach here in 3 years.

Bambi 11-07-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167310)
Speaking of networks, what was up with the KU game the other night? Was it televised? I heard a lot of people bitching about it.

I've never seen a KU Basketball scrimmage live before.

Well, that was until last Tuesday.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10167567)
I've never seen a KU Basketball scrimmage live before.

Well, that was until last Tuesday.

What was everyone bitching about, then?

Bambi 11-07-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167574)
What was everyone bitching about, then?

Locally the games that were previously not available nationwide are now only available on Time Warner in the Kansas City area.

However now all games and thousands of hours of other KU inventory are available nationwide where a majority of KU alumni live (NYC, LA, Dallas, Denver, etc.)

Not sure who you are talking to but who knows.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 12:20 PM

It must have been people without Time Warner. I'm not sure what the point of a KU network is when people in JoCo can't watch a basketball game. 99% of the country might not give a shit about a meaningless college basketball game, but Kansas fans sure do.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167636)
It must have been people without Time Warner. I'm not sure what the point of a KU network is when people in JoCo can't watch a basketball game. 99% of the country might not give a shit about a meaningless college basketball game, but Kansas fans sure do.

I doubt even 10 people in NYC watched that game. If that.

Bambi 11-07-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10167665)
I doubt even 10 people in NYC watched that game. If that.

There was about 50 at Mulholland's but who knows about inside specific apartments.

Bambi 11-07-2013 12:44 PM

Rumors intensifying about Sumlin to USC.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10167689)
Rumors intensifying about Sumlin to USC.

Where are you seeing that?

Pablo 11-07-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10167684)
There was about 50 at Mulholland's but who knows about inside specific apartments.

LMAO

50 huh????

I have TWC; so I'm not hard hit by this. But it is bullshit for the people in state.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10167727)
LMAO

50 huh????

I have TWC; so I'm not hard hit by this. But it is bullshit for the people in state.

KU has ceded the state to Kansas State, frankly, and has for several years. So this is no surprise. We're always trying to recruit students from all over the country (and at times even the globe) rather than focusing on the main reason the school was founded - to serve as a low cost, value-option for instate kids.

Bambi 11-07-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167723)
Where are you seeing that?

Like anyone cares to post links in response to you.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10167764)
KU has ceded the state to Kansas State, frankly, and has for several years. So this is no surprise. We're always trying to recruit students from all over the country (and at times even the globe) rather than focusing on the main reason the school was founded - to serve as a low cost, value-option for instate kids.

It's a balancing act. Texas is practically in a civil war over this issue. Perry is trying to make UT more accessible for kids, but there is a large faction who want the school to be more of a public ivy and think Rick is trying to turn it into a community college.

It's not like KU has crazy high requirements. 21 on the ACT and a 2.0 makes you eligible, and the acceptance rate is 93%. KSU has the same requirements and accepts 99%.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10167780)
Like anyone cares to post links in response to you.

Given that the vast majority of the board wants you gone, I'm not sure you are the best spokesperson for what everyone cares about.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 02:06 PM

It's funny, bambi... Fewer than 18% of voters want you here. That's less than one in five.

I've seen gum commercials cite studies showing that four out of five dentists recommend sugar free gum.

Think about that for a minute.

You are more likely to find a dentist that recommends sugary gum than a poster on this board who wants you here.

patteeu 11-07-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167804)
It's funny, bambi... Fewer than 18% of voters want you here. That's less than one in five.

I've seen gum commercials cite studies showing that four out of five dentists recommend sugar free gum.

Think about that for a minute.

You are more likely to find a dentist that recommends sugary gum than a poster on this board who wants you here.

Wait a minute. I was in that 18% and I didn't cast a vote in favor of the proposition that I wanted him here. I was only voting against the idea of banning him.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 02:14 PM

Damn, Bam.

Bambi 11-07-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167794)
Given that the vast majority of the board wants you gone, I'm not sure you are the best spokesperson for what everyone cares about.

Where's your link bitch?

Bambi 11-07-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167815)
Wait a minute. I was in that 18% and I didn't cast a vote in favor of the proposition that I wanted him here. I was only voting against the idea of banning him.

I voted to ban me.

What you gonna do?

The Wicked 21 is alive and well.

warpaint* 11-07-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167263)
Oh, OK. I think it would tarnish his legacy a little bit if he didn't at least win some conference championships considering the expectations and the undeniable fact that there are no real excuses for failure at Texas. But I don't think he'd fail. I think he'd be able to have Texas at the top of the Big12 and in the national championship hunt at a minimum.

He resurrected Mich St from the depths of probation & in their final yr on it got them to double digit wins (although he didn't coach the team in their bowl game which was the 10th win). Perles left a mess in his wake there.

He rebuilt LSU into a powerhouse & won 2(?) league titles & a MNC & laid the foundation for another.

He's won 3 so far at Alabama since 2007.

Pretty much nothing can tarnish his legacy at this point in terms of on the field results. Best coach of the past quarter century IMO.

I believe he'd win & win big at Texas. It's hard to predict MNC's for anyone b/c of everything that goes into it but they'd be elite & in the mix again nationally.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167787)
It's a balancing act. Texas is practically in a civil war over this issue. Perry is trying to make UT more accessible for kids, but there is a large faction who want the school to be more of a public ivy and think Rick is trying to turn it into a community college.

It's not like KU has crazy high requirements. 21 on the ACT and a 2.0 makes you eligible, and the acceptance rate is 93%. KSU has the same requirements and accepts 99%.

Most schools in the region are the same in terms of student quality as it should be, since they're state schools providing a value option. Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Arkansas, Okie State all have a 75th percentile ACT score of 28. Vandy is at 34 for the gifted students.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10167854)
Most schools in the region are the same in terms of student quality as it should be, since they're state schools providing a value option. Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Arkansas, Okie State all have a 75th percentile ACT score of 28. Vandy is at 34 for the gifted students.

I agree. I just don't think Kansas has gone overboard in terms of being unattainable for local kids.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167864)
I agree. I just don't think Kansas has gone overboard in terms of being unattainable for local kids.

They haven't, because the state board (from what I understand) has resisted their efforts to increase selectivity. I believe that is the correct call because Kansas taxpayers fund a large portion of the operations for KU. If a gifted student in Kansas wants a high caliber education he has options all over the nation to choose. The purpose of KU is to educate Kansans (or in my case Missourians who grew up nearby).

Saul Good 11-07-2013 02:46 PM

By the way...

Kansas basketball has been put on probation by the NCAA 5 times. This ties them for the most ever along with Minnesota, Cincinnati, and UT Pan Am.

Kansas has been banned outright from the tournament on three separate occasions. One of the bans was for multiple years.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 02:48 PM

http://sportsdelve.wordpress.com/201...ge-basketball/

WhawhaWhat 11-07-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167880)
By the way...

Kansas basketball has been put on probation by the NCAA 5 times. This ties them for the most ever along with Minnesota, Cincinnati, and UT Pan Am.

Kansas has been banned outright from the tournament on three separate occasions. One of the bans was for multiple years.

I've always said you can't trust those dirty UT-Pan Am's.

patteeu 11-07-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 10167830)
He resurrected Mich St from the depths of probation & in their final yr on it got them to double digit wins (although he didn't coach the team in their bowl game which was the 10th win). Perles left a mess in his wake there.

He rebuilt LSU into a powerhouse & won 2(?) league titles & a MNC & laid the foundation for another.

He's won 3 so far at Alabama since 2007.

Pretty much nothing can tarnish his legacy at this point in terms of on the field results. Best coach of the past quarter century IMO.

I believe he'd win & win big at Texas. It's hard to predict MNC's for anyone b/c of everything that goes into it but they'd be elite & in the mix again nationally.

I heard a guest on 810 today saying that he actually thinks there's a chance some crazy Alabama fan might try to assassinate Saban if he left for Texas.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167927)
I heard a guest on 810 today saying that he actually thinks there's a chance some crazy Alabama fan might try to assassinate Saban if he left for Texas.

Right after those crazy right wingers take out Obama, no doubt.

warpaint* 11-07-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10167927)

No matter the lack of gray matter if ya call in they'll put ya on.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167882)

Interesting. It appears Phog, Harp, Owens, Brown, Roy, Norm, and Quin each have 1 probation. Self and Mike Anderson have zero.

Bambi 11-07-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10167880)
By the way...

Tied with other programs.

Not taking number of years into account.

No mention of severity of violations.

Moving goalposts to basketball only when many programs have far more violations than KU.

Yep, I can easily live with this.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10168037)

Not taking number of years into account.

No mention of severity of violations.

Moving goalposts to basketball only when many programs have far more violations than KU.

Yep, I can easily live with this.

When did I say anything other than specifically basketball...or take years of basketball played, severity, etc? I didn't.

No team has been hit with more sanctions than Kansas basketball. Period.

mnchiefsguy 11-07-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10168041)
When did I say anything other than specifically basketball...or take years of basketball played, severity, etc? I didn't.

Isn't KU the only school ever that was not allowed to defend their tournament title due to sanctions?

Saul Good 11-07-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9728651)
If the Big 12 can survive having it's highest profile basketball program being the most sanctioned NCAA program in history and a coach framing a dead player for dealing drugs, maybe...just maybe...the SEC can survive an Auburn basketball scandal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9858619)
Let me know when Kansas basketball is no longer the most sanctioned program in the history of college sports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10097368)
Does it talk about the most sanctioned program in the history of college sports,or does it steer clear of Kansas basketball?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10120237)
How did I get called out? I accurately said that Kansas basketball is the most sanctioned program in NCAA history. Nothing to call out...it's true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10122446)
If you don't want people pointing out that your team has been sanctioned by the NCAA more than any program in history, don't support the team that has been sanctioned more than any program in history.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10168037)

According to the NCAA website on infractions below, Kansas has 6 all time probations and Mizzou has 4. (Tied since 1970). It would be like a gal with 4 abortions calling one with 6 an immoral slut.

https://web1.ncaa.org/LSDBi/exec/homepage

Bambi 11-07-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10168041)

Multiple schools have been on probation longer than Kansas. So no, you're not really correct here as I stated.

Bambi 11-07-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10168047)
Does it talk about the most sanctioned program in the history of college sports,or does it steer clear of Kansas basketball?

Apology accepted

Bambi 11-07-2013 04:16 PM

For the record here are the most penalized programs in college sports.

1. Arizona State — Nine Major Infractions: The Sun Devils would be the biggest cheaters, but because they aren’t a consistent football powerhouse, their misdeeds have gone mostly under the radar. Arizona State is primarily known for its baseball program, which has won five national championships and produced legends such as Reggie Jackson and fittingly, Barry Bonds. Last December, it was penalized for major secondary violations, resulting in three years probation and a one-year ban from NCAA postseason. The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions cited the athletic program for, most notably, improperly recruiting one player and giving improper benefits to multiple players. Arizona State was a repeat offender — in 2005, ASU was given two years probation for a lack of institutional control and impermissibly giving financial aid. The litany of problems led to the forced resignation of coach Pat Murphy, who led the Sun Devils to four College World Series appearances.

2. SMU — Eight Major Infractions: Holding the unfortunate distinction of being just one of five programs in NCAA history to suffer the death penalty, SMU football is still the poster child for corruption in major college athletics. Its capital offense was maintaining a slush fund to pay players from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s, even when the program was already on probation — from 1974 to 1985, it was penalized on five separate occasions. Because SMU was under such intense scrutiny from the NCAA, the powers that be had little choice but to levy the harshest penalty. As a result, the entire 1987 season was canceled, SMU was forced to cancel the 1988 season, 55 scholarships were docked and the team was permitted to hire just five full-time assistant coaches instead of the regular nine. The program was crippled for almost two decades, but it has finally experienced a resurgence over the last couple of years. In 2009, head coach June Jones guided the programs its first bowl game since the 1984 Aloha Bowl.

3. Auburn — Seven Major Infractions: Seven major infractions for now, anyway. The Cam Newton situation aside, Auburn has had a difficult time playing by the rules over the years. Its most embarrassing incident occurred in 1991, when 60 Minutes aired recordings of head football coach Pat Dye arranging a loan for a player. The series of incriminating tapes were provided by former star defensive back Eric Ramsey and unveiled a player payment scheme involving the coaching staff and prominent booster “Corky” Frost. For its wrongdoing, Auburn received a two-year bowl ban, a one-year television and ban and lost 13 scholarships over a four-year period. Dye was replaced by Terry Bowden, who became the first Division 1 coach to go undefeated in his first season but had nothing to show for it.

4. Minnesota — Seven Major Infractions: During his 13-year stint as Minnesota’s head basketball coach, Clem Haskins oversaw runs to the Elite Eight, Final Four and NIT Championship. Today, however, only the Elite Eight appearance remains in the NCAA record books, as everything Haskins accomplished from 1993-1994 forward was vacated. Prior to the Golden Gophers’ appearance in the 1999 NCAA tournament, a former basketball office manager revealed that she had written more than 400 papers for numerous basketball players over several years. Haskins’ contract was bought out over the summer and he later admitted to paying her $3,000 for her work. As the NCAA investigation unfolded, he was accused of paying players, persuading professors to inflate players’ grades and ignoring sexual harassment concerns. The NCAA administered massive sanctions, notably docking five scholarships over three seasons and instituting recruiting limitations. The entire athletic department suffered, as athletic director, associate athletic director, vice president for student development and athletics and academic counselor were all forced to resign due to the scandal.

5. Oklahoma — Seven Major Infractions: Barry Switzer inherited a program on probation — it forfeited nine games from the 1972 season because of violations that resulted from the alteration of players’ transcripts — and left it on probation in 1988. The Sooners had garnered the reputation of being an outlaw program in the 1980s. During one rough patch, a shooting and rape occurred in an athletic dorm, a player attempted to sell drugs to undercover agent, and a player robbed Switzer’s home. The latter player probably didn’t receive person checks from Switzer, scalped game tickets, free airline tickets, or a boatload of money from a bidding war during his recruitment. All of that happened, and it resulted in a two-year bowl ban, a one-year live television ban and recruiting restrictions. More recently, Oklahoma’s basketball program was penalized when former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson, the same guy who later crippled the Indiana basketball program due to unethical recruiting practices, made 550 illegal calls to 17 different recruits.

6. Texas A&M — Seven Major Infractions: The Southwest Conference is probably the most corrupt entity in the history of college sports. If you competed in the SWC during the 1980s and weren’t cheating, you didn’t have a pulse. Not coincidentally, Texas A&M enjoyed quite a bit of success during the decade, winning three consecutive conference titles under Jackie Sherrill, who Joe Paterno once lumped with Barry Switzer when bemoaning that era of college football. Sherrill resigned in 1988 after the NCAA discovered that assistant coaches and boosters were providing improper benefits to recruits — one was given a sports car and another’s father was offered medical treatment. The Aggies were given two years of probation, banned from the postseason for one season and docked 10 scholarships. Additional violations by the basketball program in 1991 and the football program again in 1994 — a booster employed and overpaid nine players who didn’t really work — almost caused A&M to suffer the same fate as SMU.

7. Wichita State — Seven Major Infractions: Programs from smaller conferences are just as capable of skirting the rules as the big boys. Although Wichita State doesn’t have a football program, its baseball and basketball programs have flourished. The baseball program has been one of the most successful in recent history, winning the 1989 College World Series and finishing second in 1982, 1991, and 1993. The basketball program reached the Final Four in 1965, Elite Eight in 1981 and Sweet Sixteen in 2006. Of the program’s seven infractions, perhaps the most disheartening one occurred in 1982, not long after the team had reached the Elite Eight. Violations involving the promises of cash and airline tickets resulted in the stripping of two basketball scholarships over two seasons and the program’s ban from the NCAA tournament and NIT. At the time the penalties were imposed, Wichita State led the NCAA in major infractions.

8. Wisconsin — Seven Major Infractions: Just months after its basketball program reached the Final Four in 2000, the Wisconsin athletic department was embroiled in controversy. Twenty-six football players were suspended prior to the season opener after the NCAA uncovered that members of the Badgers’ football and basketball teams were given special credit arrangements at a shoe store. A year later, Wisconsin began serving five years of probation, which included scholarship reductions in both football and basketball, for giving recruiting inducements and extra benefits and its overall failure to properly monitor its athletic program. The Badgers have managed to survive the last decade without any other major violations, and the football and basketball programs have enjoyed consistent success.

9. Florida State — Seven Major Infractions: Former rival coach Steve Spurrier once referred to FSU as Free Shoes University, a zinger derived from a 1993 scandal in which nine Florida State players went on an agent-funded shopping spree at Foot Locker. Six years later, also during a national championship run, all-American wide receiver Peter Warrick and Laveranues Coles were charged with felony grand theft for receiving $412.38-worth of clothes from a Dillard’s cashier — they only paid $21.40. Warrick was suspended for two games and Coles from thrown off the team. In 2009, Bobby Bowden was forced to vacate 12 victories because of an academic cheating scandal that also involved the men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball and men’s track and field programs — a 2007 men’s track national championship was vacated as well. The penalties ensured Bowden wouldn’t catch Joe Paterno as the FBS’s all-time winningest coach.

10. Memphis — Seven Major Infractions: The good feelings that accompanied Memphis State’s 1985 Final Four run diminished in the ensuing years as karma, tragedy and bad luck befell various member of the team and coaching staff. Head coach Dana Kirk was fired in 1986 after the NCAA uncovered recruiting violations and vacated the 1985 Final Four appearance. He later served a prison term for tax evasion, a crime he committed while he served as the head coach. Star center William Bedford was drafted sixth overall in the 1986 NBA draft, but his career was derailed by drug addiction, and he’s currently serving a 10-year prison sentence. Reserve guard Aaron Price was killed in a carjacking in 1998. Small forward Baskerville Holmes committed a murder-suicide in 1997. Assistant coach Larry Finch suffered a series of strokes that have left him debilitated. All of that was forgotten in 2008, however, when John Calipari had the Tigers positioned to win the national title. But that run was vacated by the NCAA in 2009, as Memphis was given three years of probation for Derrick Rose’s fraudulent SAT score and the $1,700 in free travel and lodging provided to his brother. Before penalties were levied, Calipari bolted to Kentucky, which could soon find its way on this list — the athletic program has six major infractions and the basketball program narrowly escaped the death penalty in 1989.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10168072)
10. Memphis Head coach Dana Kirk was fired in 1986 after the NCAA uncovered recruiting violations and vacated the 1985 Final Four appearance. He later served a prison term for tax evasion, a crime he committed while he served as the head coach.

Before Kirk was fired for cheating, he secretly taped a phone conversation he had with Larry Brown where he was told by Larry that one of his players, Vince Askew, was living in Lawrence considering going to Kansas. He told Kirk that he paid for a plane ticket for Askew to attend a funeral back in Memphis. Kirk thanked him for being upfront about it and promptly turned it over to the NCAA and that was the violation.

If I remember right, Kirk also tipped off the newspaper in, of all places Lexington KY where the journalist wrote a series of articles trumpeting the case. Karma hit both places soon afterwards as both Memphis and Kentucky were nailed for massive NCAA violations.

Bambi 11-07-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10168097)
Before Kirk was fired for cheating, he secretly taped a phone conversation he had with Larry Brown where he was told by Larry that one of his players, Vince Askew, was living in Lawrence considering going to Kansas. He told Kirk that he paid for a plane ticket for Askew to attend a funeral back in Memphis. Kirk thanked him for being upfront about it and promptly turned it over to the NCAA and that was the violation.

If I remember right, Kirk also tipped off the newspaper in, of all places Lexington KY where the journalist wrote a series of articles trumpeting the case. Karma hit both places soon afterwards as both Memphis and Kentucky were nailed for massive NCAA violations.

So one of KU's "infractions" was Larry Brown buying a kid a plane ticket to attend a funeral?

There isn't a school that doesn't cheat but it's good to know that if you're KU it's happening for the right reasons.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10168117)
So one of KU's "infractions" was Larry Brown buying a kid a plane ticket to attend a funeral?

There isn't a school that doesn't cheat but it's good to know that if you're KU it's happening for the right reasons.

The worst part about it was that Askew never even came to KU. We broke an NCAA rule for nothing.

Pitt Gorilla 11-07-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10168117)
...it's good to know that if you're KU it's happening for the right reasons.

Consider 2006:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=2623115

What were all of the "right reasons" for which ku committed these infractions?

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 05:48 PM

"KU fans live in the past talking about the 2007 Orange Bowl"

"Let's talk about the 2006 ESPN article about KU being on probation"

Bambi 11-07-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10168151)
The worst part about it was that Askew never even came to KU. We broke an NCAA rule for nothing.

So you're saying KU wins in spite of trying to cheat.

Kinda amazing when you think about it.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-07-2013 06:02 PM

Damn, these two clowns really love taking a beating every day. It's hysterical.

Saul Good 11-07-2013 08:23 PM

Don't worry, guys. As long as Oklahoma and Texas are powerhouses, the Big 12 will be a player.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10168556)
Don't worry, guys. As long as Oklahoma and Texas are powerhouses, the Big 12 will be a player.

Amazing that Slive couldn't see the obvious.

Bambi 11-07-2013 08:31 PM

Amazing to see in the last few seasons another Big 12 football team move into NC position.

Should be an exciting BCS season.

Prison Bitch 11-07-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10168237)
So you're saying KU wins in spite of trying to cheat.

Kinda amazing when you think about it.

The SMU (and really the entire SWC) football scandals were so massive that the NCAA tried to crack the whip on everyone in its wake. The late 80s saw everyone get investigated and tons getting put on probation. Kentucky basketball was nearly given the death penalty. At one time there were like 50 schools on probation.

Even good old Stormin Norman got caught up in it.

Saul Good 11-08-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8362119)
yes that link makes or breaks OU? Even without him, OU has a better WR class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8362162)
That is a link of a WR that one school needed. The one that lost out signed the best WR class in the nation. Maybe he didnt like the competition. See what Durron Neal has to say. Sterling Shephard. Trey Metoyer..Derrick Woods.

Pretty impressive performance from the team that had the "best WR class in the nation" two years ago.

Derrick Woods had his breakout game against Tulsa. He caught a pass for nine yards. It's the only time he's ever touched the ball in two years at Oklahoma.

Trey has doubled Woods's production this year...literally. He has two catches for 18 yards.

Durron Neal had a nice game against Baylor. He caught a pass for 12 yards. That alone makes it his fourth best game of the year. 16 catches for 220 yards in his two year career. I predict that some day, he will get a TD, too.

Tough game for Shepard...no catches against Baylor. He did get some rushing yards, though. Three to be exact. Unfortunately, they were in the wrong direction. Better luck next time.

warpaint* 11-08-2013 09:11 AM

Their biggest problem is the guy throwing the ball. Belldozer blows. Bad.

Saul Good 11-08-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 10169509)
Their biggest problem is the guy throwing the ball. Belldozer blows. Bad.

He is painful to watch. The B1G thinks he's too slow and lumbering.

Saul Good 11-08-2013 09:17 AM

By the way...does anyone remember when Neal sent DGB the text message telling him to have fun blocking for the QB at Mizzou? No wonder he and Stoops were a good fit. The stupid shit they say immediately blows up in both of their faces. They deserve each other.

warpaint* 11-08-2013 09:36 AM

Vaguely. Kids say stupid things & life teaches you as you go & most learn from it.

As for Stoops he's just trying to fight the perception in the media he can't fight on the field. Lately anyway.

Prison Bitch 11-08-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 10168044)
Isn't KU the only school ever that was not allowed to defend their tournament title due to sanctions?

The good news about being a Mizzou fan is that you'll never have to worry about this.

WhawhaWhat 11-08-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10169549)
The good news about being a Mizzou fan is that you'll never have to worry about this.

I don't expect them to be banned from the tournament anytime soon either.

Prison Bitch 11-08-2013 09:57 AM

Mizzou's coach is currently banned by the NCAA from coaching, so that's always nice.

Eleazar 11-08-2013 09:59 AM

Does Baylor stomping through the league say more about Baylor, or more about the conference's mediocrity?

Oklahoma had already lost to a mediocre Texas team, and OU now has 2 conference losses and no quality wins to their credit. Baylor not only hasn't played a quality team yet, they don't have any on their schedule this year.

Hard to know what to make of them.

Saul Good 11-08-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10169579)
Does Baylor stomping through the league say more about Baylor, or more about the conference's mediocrity?

Oklahoma had already lost to a mediocre Texas team, and OU now has 2 conference losses and no quality wins to their credit. Baylor not only hasn't played a quality team yet, they don't have any on their schedule this year.

Baylor is legit. They are a top 10 team.

Oklahoma has serious problems...not just this year, either. Texas is a mess, but they have too many inherent advantages to stay down for too long. Oklahoma, on the other hand, looks to be heading down the Nebraska trail. Worse, even.

This could be the perfect storm hitting OU. Oklahoma State is on the rise. Baylor is on the rise. aTm has arrived. Tech may be on the rise. TCU is now in a BCS conference.

They are getting more and more competition for recruits, especially out of Texas, as there are a lot more viable options competing for those kids than there used to be.

It used to be that Texas got first pick, Oklahoma got second pick, and everyone else battled for the rest.

Now, aTm and Texas are both picking from the top, and OU is battling it out with TCU, Okie Lite, Baylor, Tech, etc.

Saul Good 11-08-2013 10:16 AM

Baylor stomping through the conference is a testament to Baylor's strength. Texas stomping through the conference on the other hand...

Bambi 11-08-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10169549)

oh snap Bitch. That's just mean.

Bambi 11-08-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10169611)
Baylor stomping through the conference is a testament to Baylor's strength. Texas stomping through the conference on the other hand...

Baylor will kill Texas.

Bambi 11-08-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10169576)
Mizzou's coach is currently banned by the NCAA from coaching, so that's always nice.

I agree. I find it strange hearing probation smack talk from fans of a team with their coach currently suspended.

But that's what makes it fun amirite?

Prison Bitch 11-08-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10169653)
I agree. I find it strange hearing probation smack talk from fans of a team with their coach currently suspended.

But that's what makes it fun amirite?

I don't think KU has ever had their coach suspended by the NCAA and removed from the bench. I imagine they are all quite embarrassed by Haith's disgraceful admission to the authorities, but hoops is dying a slow death over in Columbia and has for quite some time.

warpaint* 11-08-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10169579)

OU's decent, they just have some glaring flaws. It isn't like they're Iowa State. And Baylor hammered them. Baylor's really good, just a matter how good. I agree w/ Saul that they're probably top 10 but probably not on FSU/Ala's level.

Prison Bitch 11-08-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 10169648)
oh snap Bitch. That's just mean.

But it's funny.

warpaint* 11-08-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10169667)
I don't think KU has ever had their coach suspended by the NCAA and removed from the bench. I imagine they are all quite embarrassed by Haith's disgraceful admission to the authorities, but hoops is dying a slow death over in Columbia and has for quite some time.

The thing I'm embarrassed about is that we hired a hack to begin w/.

Actually embarrassed isn't the right word. Disappointed & angry yet resigned to it.

TomBarndtsTwin 11-08-2013 10:45 AM

Is this a good time to start bringing up the recruiting violations that Bill Self 'allegedly' committed while at Illinois??

I mean, since we're calling out Missouri for stuff that 'allegedly' (still not proven) happened to their coach while he was still at Miami.

Saul Good 11-08-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 10169685)
Is this a good time to start bringing up the recruiting violations that Bill Self 'allegedly' committed while at Illinois??

I mean, since we're calling out Missouri for stuff that 'allegedly' (still not proven) happened to their coach while he was still at Miami.

Given that it's football season, who gives a ****?