ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

alnorth 01-10-2012 11:31 PM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/74...ct-source-says

According to Buster Olney, the Major League Baseball owners are going to ask Bud Selig to stay for at least two more years.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from a lot of people if he accepts it, but I'm fine with this.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-11-2012 09:17 AM

The dude makes $22 mil a year in salary... why's he not accepted already? lol

alnorth 01-11-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8284929)
The dude makes $22 mil a year in salary... why's he not accepted already? lol

He's pretty old and it seems like at least part of him wants to retire. Every time he's getting to the end of the contract he sorta kinda maybe promises that this is it, he's looking forward to retirement, etc. The last time 3 years ago he was rather emphatic, more than usual in saying he was done but the owners somehow convinced him to stay. Now, he's again saying he thinks he's done, but behind closed doors he cant seem to say no.

edit: Looks like the owners are going to offer him $25MM/year to try to get him to stay. In comparison, Goodell only makes $10MM/year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...oday-says.html

chiefqueen 01-11-2012 06:49 PM

On the Scout BB it says the Royals season opener will be televised on ESPN2 (but it will probably be televised by FSKC blacking out the ESPN2 telecast in KC). Also in looking at the schedule 6 Sat. afternoon games have already been selected by FOX for their package.

Remember 22 games will not be televised by FSKC, those 6 will be among the 22. Also, remember FSKC does not televise games on Sat. after CFB starts (9/1) and Sun. games after the NFL season starts (9/9), so that will be 8 games not televised by FSKC (one of the FOX telecasts will be in Sept.). All of this means of the remaining games all but 8 will be televised by FSKC.

Hopefully they ALL will be weekday DAY games.

(Sorry, night shift workers, and yes, it is all about me.)

Mr. Laz 01-13-2012 11:57 AM

@Buster_ESPN
Buster Olney
The asking prices have come down significantly for veteran FA starters: Oswalt (said to be at $8m), Kuroda (10-11m), Edwin Jackson.

tk13 01-13-2012 07:16 PM

Supposedly the Yankees are going to deal Jesus Montero to the Mariners for Michael Pineda. I don't even know what to say about that.

Reaper16 01-13-2012 07:20 PM

I think NY wins that. Right? A legit SP in exchange for a DH?

tk13 01-13-2012 07:22 PM

Oh I think so. I can't believe Seattle gave him up. The guy is probably going to be a 200+ K guy.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-13-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8291133)
@Buster_ESPN
Buster Olney
The asking prices have come down significantly for veteran FA starters: Oswalt (said to be at $8m), Kuroda (10-11m), Edwin Jackson.

MLBInsideNewsScott Swaim

#Yankees get Kuroda

MLBInsideNewsScott Swaim
Kuroda gets 10.5M base with up to 1M incentives. 500K Signing bonus. #Yankees

CaliforniaChief 01-13-2012 07:35 PM

At $8 million for one year, the Royals should sign Oswalt. It's a no-brainer, IMO.

And yeah, Pineda is a stud.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-13-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8292665)
At $8 million for one year, the Royals should sign Oswalt. It's a no-brainer, IMO.

And yeah, Pineda is a stud.

I know that's a popular opinion and I'm not saying its wrong..... but we've signed Sanchez coming off arm problems, Broxton coming off arm problems... do we want to add a 3rd question mark? What if we sign Oswalt and all 3 don't make it back right. Do we want to be on the hook for $ to 3 broke pitchers? I don't. We've made good strides this off season but too many question marks makes me nervous.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after Oswalt, I'm saying look at the length our necks are stuck out already.

CaliforniaChief 01-13-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8292676)
I know that's a popular opinion and I'm not saying its wrong..... but we've signed Sanchez coming off arm problems, Broxton coming off arm problems... do we want to add a 3rd question mark? What if we sign Oswalt and all 3 don't make it back right. Do we want to be on the hook for $ to 3 broke pitchers? I don't. We've made good strides this off season but too many question marks makes me nervous.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after Oswalt, I'm saying look at the length our necks are stuck out already.

What's the risk? Yeah, $8 million but you aren't on the hook for future years and you aren't compromising the farm system at all. We're in a different position than in years past, where we had no chance to compete. Now it seems like a reasonable risk, IMO.

Obviously he's not the Oswalt of old, but I think he can be an impact arm in the rotation.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-13-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8292719)
What's the risk? Yeah, $8 million but you aren't on the hook for future years and you aren't compromising the farm system at all. We're in a different position than in years past, where we had no chance to compete. Now it seems like a reasonable risk, IMO.

Obviously he's not the Oswalt of old, but I think he can be an impact arm in the rotation.

The risk is $8 million for a low budget team with 2 other guys already on staff hoping to come back from arm problems. If all 3 fail because they aren't healthy I can see Glass saying we spent to much on broke dicks... gotta cut back again. That's what I don't want.

I understand we have to take some chances and hope for the best. If we sign Oswalt I'll cheer for him and hope he can be what we need. It just concerns me. That's all I'm saying. Back problems aren't easy to deal with. We can't afford to be 3 time losers on the pitching staff in a single year.

lewdog 01-13-2012 09:18 PM

I would have loved to have Pineda. Damn.

doomy3 01-13-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8292625)
Supposedly the Yankees are going to deal Jesus Montero to the Mariners for Michael Pineda. I don't even know what to say about that.

Wow, no way. Why would Seattle make that deal? Weird.