ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink New cooking methods ... sous vide (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243228)

Great Expectations 03-15-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8457637)
I've done six at one time, I think.

I might go with one of those then. Is $400 a good price?

I'd like to be able to cook for 8 with one, but 6 is a lot better than 4.

Fire Me Boy! 04-08-2012 06:19 AM

Trying sous vide chicken breast today. All I have are skinless breasts, though, so I don't want to sear it and dry it out... any out-of-the-box suggestions for a sauce?

Fire Me Boy! 04-08-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8525101)
Trying sous vide chicken breast today. All I have are skinless breasts, though, so I don't want to sear it and dry it out... any out-of-the-box suggestions for a sauce?

And I'm out of antifreeze, so no.

mdchiefsfan 04-08-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 7826529)
There's other stuff besides meat?

Actually, the yogurt was the first thing besides meat I've done, though I'm starting to branch out now.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QEl-sFrnJC...at-tornado.jpg

Fire Me Boy! 04-08-2012 07:02 PM

Went with 145 degrees for a little more than 2 hours. It was tasty. Not quite as tender as I'd hoped, but it was very moist. I did a lemon butter cream sauce with it.

I've got a round roast in there now for tomorrow night...

Fire Me Boy! 05-01-2012 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Holy crap, salmon with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and granulated garlic is amazing sous vide! The texture is out of this world.

Just Passin' By 05-01-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8586342)
Holy crap, salmon with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and granulated garlic is amazing sous vide! The texture is out of this world.

Sounds like you're getting your money's worth out of the machine, and then some, so congratulations.

Fire Me Boy! 05-01-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 8586393)
Sounds like you're getting your money's worth out of the machine, and then some, so congratulations.

I honestly go through phases. I'll use it a lot for a couple of weeks and put it up for a month. Then I'll get back into using it. It's a little large and cumbersome for it to be a permanent part of the counter....

But I've been mostly impressed with it. The round roast was unimpressive. Probably would have made really good sandwiches if you sliced it up nice and thin.

The salmon is the first fish I've tried, and it's genuinely the best salmon I've had.

Just Passin' By 05-01-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8586401)
I honestly go through phases. I'll use it a lot for a couple of weeks and put it up for a month. Then I'll get back into using it. It's a little large and cumbersome for it to be a permanent part of the counter....

But I've been mostly impressed with it. The round roast was unimpressive. Probably would have made really good sandwiches if you sliced it up nice and thin.

The salmon is the first fish I've tried, and it's genuinely the best salmon I've had.

Well, I'm a big seafood guy, so that would sell me right there.

Fire Me Boy! 05-01-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 8586406)
Well, I'm a big seafood guy, so that would sell me right there.

I filled with hot tap water, so it only took about 5 minutes to get up to temperature - I cooked it at 123 degrees for 25 minutes.

I've heard sous vide scallops are out of this world.

After this experience with salmon, I'll definitely be trying more fish. I want to do the salmon again, this time with a little lemon zest.

Just Passin' By 05-01-2012 06:47 PM

Sounds great. I'd definitely love to hear about the scallops, too.

seclark 05-01-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8586342)

damn, lose those peas and throw on some fries. i'm down with that.
looks good.
sec

Fire Me Boy! 05-01-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 8586431)
damn, lose those peas and throw on some fries. i'm down with that.
looks good.
sec

Tryin' to eat healthy here, brah! :thumb:

Fire Me Boy! 05-05-2012 01:53 PM

Pork tenderloin is very tasty. Cooked right at 135 degrees and seared for 1 minute on each side in a screamin' hot cast iron pan, it came out almost fork tender and sooooo juicy.

T-post Tom 05-05-2012 05:18 PM

A microbiologist told me that petro-chemicals from the plastic bag leach into the food. He advised against using this method.