ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

BigRedChief 03-25-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9528972)
Eh, if I were a Brewers fan, I'd be pissed.

Lohse was strong in St. Louis after drinking the Dave Duncan koolaid, but how many of those guys have succeeded after leaving St. Louis?

It's a lot of money (though 1/2 of what he was looking for) and a valuable draft chip for a guy who is (relatively) old, has a bad injury history, doesn't strike out hitters, and has been awful outside the Cardinals in his career.

What pitcher has been better when they left the Cardinals? I can't even remember anyone.

The only ones I remember are the ones who fall off a cliff when they leave the Cardinals.

BigRedChief 03-25-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9528967)
Me, too. Glad I protected him in my keeper league now.

We told ya to keep him.:thumb:

He's got a helluva an upside. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the 2013 Lynn and win 16 games.

Jewish Rabbi 03-25-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9529120)
What pitcher has been better when they left the Cardinals? I can't even remember anyone.

The only ones I remember are the ones who fall off a cliff when they leave the Cardinals.

Dan Haren... Steve Carlton... Honestly that's about it.

duncan_idaho 03-25-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9529120)

That's what I'm saying. I'm sure Lohse will fail just as badly as Joel Pineiro, Jeff Weaver, et. al.

Only problem is he got more money than any of them AND cost a draft pick. If I'm a Brew-crew fan, I'm incensed.

Mi_chief_fan 03-25-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9529125)

Jeff Fassero, Chris Perez, Chris Narveson...yeah, not many.

duncan_idaho 03-25-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9529122)
We told ya to keep him.:thumb:

He's got a helluva an upside. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the 2013 Lynn and win 16 games.

BTW, posted the team he's part of in the fantasy forum. I think I'm going to cruise to the league title.

24 starters (15 hitters, 9 pitchers) + 10 bench players. 12 teams. I have:

Mike Trout
Matt Kemp
Robinson Cano
Bryce Harper
Allen Craig
Troy Tulowitzki
Ian Kinsler
Chris Sale
Matt Moore
Jordan Zimmermann

among others (Shelby, of course).

BigRedChief 03-25-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Carlton was a different era. He had the nerve to ask for a $5K raise after winning 20 games. Gussie said get rid of him.

Haren and Perez were trades. BAD trades but still trades. We didn't let them walk. We thought we were getting a fair deal for them. :mad:

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-25-2013 07:08 PM

Thank you, Doug Melvin.

The Cardinals provide me with an interesting perspective: how a competent sports franchise operates.

What makes it funnier: ChiefsCountry compared Alex Smith to Kyle Lohse.

BigRedChief 03-25-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9529240)
Thank you, Doug Melvin.

The Cardinals provide me with an interesting perspective: how a competent sports franchise operates.

What makes it funnier: ChiefsCountry compared Alex Smith to Kyle Lohse.

:cuss:Hamas we get to enjoy at least one well run team and you bring the incompetence of our other team into here? If we suck this year, I'm blaming you.:p

whoman69 03-25-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Jerry Reuss, Mike Torrez, Mike Cuellar, Jim Bibby. Used to be a lot more common when Busch was a tightwad.

Mi_chief_fan 03-26-2013 05:28 AM

Oscar Taveras 4 for 5 yesterday, looks like he makes the club at least until Beltran's toe is healed.

Marco Polo 03-26-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9529837)
Oscar Taveras 4 for 5 yesterday, looks like he makes the club at least until Beltran's toe is healed.

That would start his clock early. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come up in the summer instead.

DJ's left nut 03-26-2013 07:06 AM

If Beltran's toe isn't ready, you start Adams at 1b and Craig in RF and give Taveras every day ABs in the minors. Or you put Descalso in RF.

There's just no reason to rush the kid to the majors yet.

whoman69 03-26-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9529906)
If Beltran's toe isn't ready, you start Adams at 1b and Craig in RF and give Taveras every day ABs in the minors. Or you put Descalso in RF.

There's just no reason to rush the kid to the majors yet.

Craig is too slow to be an outfielder after his leg break. If he's the best player available, the only reason not to put him out there is financial.

DJ's left nut 03-26-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9529990)
Craig is too slow to be an outfielder after his leg break. If he's the best player available, the only reason not to put him out there is financial.

Maturity.

There have been no concerns about his ability, but there have been some rumblings about him being a little too 'showy'. Now the confidence is a good thing, but for a franchise that just got done watching their last premium prospect flame out because of a crap wortk ethic and entitlement issues, they would be wise to make very sure that they aren't going to have a similar problem with young Oscar.

And yeah, financial does matter.

Moreover, I'm not wholly convinced that Tavares is the best hitter available. Folks - Matt Adams can hit. Look at his minor league track record. There's a very convincing argument to be made that he's a better major league hitting prospect than Oscar Tavares is right now.

Craig's broken leg hasn't greatly impacted his speed and he was never a burner to begin with. He'll be fine in RF and in the interim, it could help us establish a legitimate trade market for Adams; hopefully enough to fill the gaping hole we have at SS.