ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Peter King: You have to go back to 1997 to find a draft like this one (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270181)

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 04:56 PM

TrINT Green was flawless now? ROFL

HemiEd 02-19-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9416276)
Well it's important to separate TrINT from Trent. He got himself so far behind the 8-ball with the fanbase here after that first season that yeah, it's easy to remember those balls got on top of and hammered into the turf.

But when he was at his apex, those 4 years from 2002-2005, man he was precise. In those 4 years he averaged damn near 8 yds/attempt. And that was when only guys like Manning and Brady were putting up numbers like that. To put it into perspective, even with weapons like Boldin and Torrey Smith, Flacco's never averaged better than 7.4 YPA and on his career is averaging 7.1. That's even with the fact that he's a very good downfield passer.

Yeah, the system helped, but even the YAC yards were a result of the fact that he was so good at hitting guys in stride and frankly he just didn't miss very often.

For a guy with a sub-standard arm to be able to hit at 8 yds/attempt means that he was firing a hell of a grouping. He was putting it in the right spot almost every time.

History, if anything, has been extremely unkind to Trent Green. We don't realize how good we had it with that guy over those 4 seasons and I think that is almost exclusively because of how quickly people soured on him in 2001.

Good points, again. I for one didn't sour on him 2001 though, as he was coming back from a horrible injury.

I just never really felt like he had the tools to carry the team. I felt he was "good enough" to be competitive. Once again, a recycled Qb, that was pretty darn good.

I am sick and tired of settling for that, after what seems like an eternal line of them. I want this team to go "all in" with a pick of their own and develop him. No more Alex Smiths, Trent Greens, Dave Kreigs, Bonos, Grbacs, Huards, Cassels, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I am so sick of it, that if they marched Stanzi out there and went 0-16, it would be refreshing to me.

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9416362)
Flawless, really?

Yeah, absolutely. He was pretty amazing under Norv and again under Martz. He was a master of the Coryell offense and had it not been for the knee injury that plagued him for two seasons, he most likely wouldn't have been a Chief.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9416362)
Don't you think some of the Flacco success is due to him maturing in the NFL, after 4 years?

Actually, Flacco just completed his fifth year in NFL. But the reason I disagree is because under Cameron, he never seemed comfortable. The Ravens had done an excellent job of providing a very good offensive line, a excellent running back in Ray Rice and very good perimeter players in Boldin, Smith, Pitta and Dickson. But, he continued to struggle and put his game together until after Cameron was fired.

At that point, Caldwell simplified the offense, installed plays from his days as Peyton Manning's head coach and OC and called more long balls to Smith and Boldin. Instead of the quick timing plays, shifts and verbage, Caldwell used Flacco's best attribute, his big arm, and the Ravens tore it up in December, January and of course, February.

HemiEd 02-19-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9416398)

Very telling on just how pathetic the QB play has been in KC for the last 7 years. :(

Gimme good, good was good enough, I am tired of waiting on great!/CP

O.city 02-19-2013 05:01 PM

Kinda shows a few things. Maybe Flacco isn't geared for that and Cameron is an idiot.

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9416406)
I am sick and tired of settling for that, after what seems like an eternal line of them. I want this team to go "all in" with a pick of their own and develop him. No more Alex Smiths, Trent Greens, Dave Kreigs, Bonos, Grbacs, Huards, Cassels, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

See, that stuff doesn't bother me. If the Chiefs win and win in the playoffs, I couldn't care less how the QB was acquired.

Now, if the Chiefs need a QB and deliberately pass on highly rated guy, that's a different story. But if Matt Flynn or Nick Foles or Alex Smith won a Super Bowl as a Chiefs, I'd be thrilled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9416406)
I am so sick of it, that if they marched Stanzi out there and went 0-16, it would be refreshing to me.

You, my friend, would likely be on the only person happy in that scenario.

:D

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9416398)

I said he ran the offense flawlessly, you illiterate dumb****.

The guy was still recovering from knee surgery in 2001 and couldn't properly plant his leg. That was discussed ad nauseam around here back in the day and is certainly nothing new.

JFC.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9416415)
Yeah, absolutely. He was pretty amazing under Norv and again under Martz. He was a master of the Coryell offense and had it not been for the knee injury that plagued him for two seasons, he most likely wouldn't have been a Chief.

I'll say it again.

Trent Green had a 5 or 6 game stretch with the Rams in 2000 that was one of the best I'VE EVER SEEN.

I'm gonna go find those stats.

Hammock Parties 02-19-2013 05:06 PM

He had like 2000 yards and 16 TD, high 60s completion percentage.

He was quite effective.

htismaqe 02-19-2013 05:08 PM

5 starts, over 65% completion, almost 8.5 ypa (!!!), 15 TD, 5 INT

Deberg_1990 02-19-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9416420)
Very telling on just how pathetic the QB play has been in KC for the last 7 years. :(

He was an OK, solid QB. The best QB for the Chiefs since Montana nearly 20 seasons ago. Ill just leave it at that.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9416420)

And that's where we disagree.

For 4 years, Trent Green was great. Granted, I'd love to get 10 years of that, but to just expect it and say anything less is crap is going to make you a miserable sports fan.

I'd trade this year's entire draft for 10 years like the 4 we got from Trent Green. And if you really look at what Green was doing in relation to his peers over that time, you'd be insane not to do the same.

So if that's the case, isn't poo-pooing Trent Green's performance here pretty damn ignorant?

HemiEd 02-19-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9416426)
See, that stuff doesn't bother me. If the Chiefs win and win in the playoffs, I couldn't care less how the QB was acquired.

Now, if the Chiefs need a QB and deliberately pass on highly rated guy, that's a different story. But if Matt Flynn or Nick Foles or Alex Smith won a Super Bowl as a Chiefs, I'd be thrilled.

You, my friend, would likely be on the only person happy in that scenario.

:D

Well for the last three years we have seen HCs marching out crap behind center, trying to eeek out a win to save their ****ing job. Not giving Stanzi a legit shot.

Yeah, I am beyond the recycled QB give a **** meter, seriously. Nobody was more shocked than I when the Chiefs didn't end up with Peyton Manning. The first time I ever got really upset with the Chiefs was the Montana trade, and it has been going on to varying degrees ever since.

I will probably take a few years off if they don't draft one this year.

O.city 02-19-2013 05:09 PM

Trent was a top 3 or 4 QB in the league for a few of those years. We had an elite offense, that with somewhat competent FO and coaching staff should have had a defense opposite it that had some semblance of well, a defense.

DJ's left nut 02-19-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9416453)
He was an OK, solid QB. The best QB for the Chiefs since Montana nearly 20 seasons ago. Ill just leave it at that.

He was better over that period than Big Ben, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco have been over their careers. That's only 6 SBs between them.

But you're right, we should totally shit on that guy. If all we get from our next quarterback is another Trent Green, we've really busted.