ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs Re-Sign Breeland - 1yr, $4.5M (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330482)

suzzer99 04-09-2020 02:26 PM

Breeland was nails in the postseason and big games down the stretch. i'll take a player like that any day. Our secondary has the potential to be elite as is - if they all stay healthy.

RunKC 04-09-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 14897141)
That's a nice signing.

One year for up to $4.5M. But they told me that this guy is better than Fuller 4 years $40M.

He's not!

Breeland is not a bad player but you'd never believe you could get this guy for one year at up to $4.5M from what I read from some posters.

You do realize this was the worst possible time for him to get paid right? He had a bad foot problem and teams aren’t able to get anyone in to check for themselves. That’s likely why he was still on the market.

DaneMcCloud 04-09-2020 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 14897011)
Bye Bye Chris Jones.

Nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 14897017)
More like it guarantees a trade.

Nope

ThyKingdomCome15 04-09-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckweath (Post 14897141)
That's a nice signing.

One year for up to $4.5M. But they told me that this guy is better than Fuller 4 years $40M.

He's not!

Breeland is not a bad player but you'd never believe you could get this guy for one year at up to $4.5M from what I read from some posters.

Fuller is more versatile but doesnt see much action on the outside. Breeland was gonna get 8 million a year from the Panthers until he failed his physical a couple years ago. That's pretty close.

DaneMcCloud 04-09-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14897131)
I wonder if teams are reluctant to shell out on big contracts right now with all the uncertainty.

Unlike MLB, NFL teams don't have guaranteed contracts so if the season is cancelled, no one receives their checks.

Contract numbers are down overall in Free Agency because the salary cap came in lower than expected, players can't meet with teams while teams can't administer physicals and the next round of TV negotiations have stalled.

Teams are being cautious while players are taking what's being offered.

FAX 04-09-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14897131)
I wonder if teams are reluctant to shell out on big contracts right now with all the uncertainty.

Maybe ... even probable, Mr. suzzer99 ...

On the other hand, one would think that if Fuller could get a deal, Breeland could get a deal.

I had every expectation that Breeland would be gone.

It makes you wonder if players actually like the idea of being on the Chiefs so much that it tilts the scales in our favor.

FAX

ThaVirus 04-09-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14897114)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> salary cap space stood at $4,635,171 this morning per the NFLPA with Anthony Sherman, Jordan Ta’amu and Mike Pennel’s contracts on the books. DeMarcus Robinson’s contract is not in the system yet. Nor is Seals-Jones or Breeland.</p>&mdash; Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/status/1248342144043155461?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wonder what Veach has cooking.. A surprise cut or a Jones extension?

I'd love to have Jones but in order to fit these contracts under the cap, as well as our incoming rookie class, we'll have to backload the hell out of his deal. We're going to see something ridiculous like $30m cap hits in the later years.

BWillie 04-09-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 14897174)
Unlike MLB, NFL teams don't have guaranteed contracts so if the season is cancelled, no one receives their checks.

Contract numbers are down overall in Free Agency because the salary cap came in lower than expected, players can't meet with teams while teams can't administer physicals and the next round of TV negotiations have stalled.

Teams are being cautious while players are taking what's being offered.

I've wondered about this. If the NBA season is cancelled, will any players receive checks after this? Can't really expect the owners to just take 200M losses can you? I would imagine they would get a reduced payment to a huge amount.

I have no idea what the contract language says, or if they have insurance for such an event, though.

Mecca 04-09-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14897207)
I've wondered about this. If the NBA season is cancelled, will any players receive checks after this? Can't really expect the owners to just take 200M losses can you? I would imagine they would get a reduced payment to a huge amount.

I have no idea what the contract language says, or if they have insurance for such an event, though.

No, NBA players have not been paid a single check when they stopped playing.

DaneMcCloud 04-09-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 14897200)

Dude, they're Vet Minimum deals.

If Breeland meets all of his incentives up to $4.5 million, the Chiefs won't need to that cap space until later this season.

Robinson's deal reportedly included the use of the Veteran Salary Benefit or VSB, which allows a team to use $1.25 million of cap space for up to two players that have been with the team for 4 years or more.

From my understanding of what I've read, Robinson's $2.2 million dollar deal exercised part of that money and Sherman's exercised part of part of that money so their respective cap hits are Veteran's Minimum.

Quote:

I'd love to have Jones but in order to fit these contracts under the cap, as well as our incoming rookie class, we'll have to backload the hell out of his deal. We're going to see something ridiculous like $30m cap hits in the later years.

The salary cap is expected to be around $230 million in 2021 and rise from there, so it's definitely possible to sign Jones to a 5 year extension with 3 years of guaranteed money and still fit under the cap.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-09-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

I’m guessing Mahomes contract will be front loaded? Remember Kelce and Schwartz and Ward both need new deals in 2 years as well

DaneMcCloud 04-09-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14897211)
I’m guessing Mahomes contract will be front loaded? Remember Kelce and Schwartz and Ward both need new deals in 2 years as well

Front loaded?

Uh, no.

The Chiefs don't even have enough money to sign their draft picks.

How in the world are they going to clear $38 million or so in cap space on a front loaded contract for Mahomes?

Mecca 04-09-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14897211)

We're not keeping everyone bro.....I would wager Ward won't get second deal here and we'll see how well Kelce and Schwartz hold up passing 30 and all.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-09-2020 03:01 PM

Even if it’s a vet min deal he would still count against the cap. The last player that counts for the top 51 cutoff is Dieter at $675,000. Breeland surely will be making more than that

DaneMcCloud 04-09-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14897217)
We're not keeping everyone bro.....I would wager Ward won't get second deal here and we'll see how well Kelce and Schwartz hold up passing 30 and all.

Kelce will be fine well into his 30's, as should Schwartz.

There are plenty of guys playing at a Pro Bowl level well into their 30's on the O-line and Kelce's nearly as serious about training and regimen as Gonzalez was during his playing days.