ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink 50 Beers to Try Before You Die (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227168)

shirtsleeve 04-02-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7534089)
It's unfinished. You should have had a quality basement contractor to make it all blend.

I know you are a contractor. Perhaps you can help...

And this again was when the bar was first built and the pub table (out of view) and tv were first installed. Since then, I have added swag, which you all wont like, an area rug from home cheapo that looks like the field at Gillette, and faux etching on the mirror of a 24" flying elvis centered and the corner swirl pattern. I also have it lit now. My neighbor is an electrician and he used some 2=1/2" led lights of some sort with one each shining down into the glass front cabs, and the rest in the middle above the mirror, at both forward and rearward angles. The whole basement is on dimmers. The cab next to the keg fridge is a sink base and I plan on getting it plumbed this spring with a small sink.

It doesn't look barren like it did when I first finished construction. Hell in these pics the bar stools still have tags on them...

No love for the oak top bar rail or real brass foot rail...

oh and edit. I built that thing from scratch. I am no carpenter by far, but I was able to cut all those angles on the bar rail and the crown molding. I made it from cabinets and plywood, some veneer for the back of the cabs, some split banister spindles and trim boards. I ordered the brass rail and endcaps on line and the oak bar rail from a local millwright. I had all the glass custom cut...

Phobia 04-02-2011 09:19 PM

I'm kidding. It looks like those were taken the moment construction was done. The foot rail is a nice touch. Expensive too. The oak bar rail is nice and I have some on my bar but I won't do it again. It's too expensive for what it accomplishes.

You did a fine job, especially if you're not a carpenter.

DeezNutz 04-02-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirtsleeve (Post 7533965)
Uggh. cant see em if you are not registered. I will try a few here...

Proper looking man cave there.

shirtsleeve 04-02-2011 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7534186)
I'm kidding. It looks like those were taken the moment construction was done. The foot rail is a nice touch. Expensive too. The oak bar rail is nice and I have some on my bar but I won't do it again. It's too expensive for what it accomplishes.

You did a fine job, especially if you're not a carpenter.

Thanks. I gotta get used to the attitude here. The put downs and butt hurts just seem to be prevelent.

Yeah, the brass rail was pricey, the end caps especially. I got some awesome carved ones, but they were half the price of the rail.

The oak bar rail was pricey too, but the one I got is curved to fit the elbows and forearms perfectly. I was in a local brew pub when designing my bar and I asked where theirs was done because it fit so good. Then I had mine made to match it. Not a waste at all. In fact it kinda makes it.

thanks again for the compliment. I still gotta get a tower tap for my kegs. The keg fridge pre dates the bar

shirtsleeve 04-02-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7534195)
Proper looking man cave there.

Thanks!

the Talking Can 04-03-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7528464)
Totally begin with Dupont. It's the benchmark for the style, and it does pretty much everything that you could want from a Saison: a complex but smooth mix of fruity, malty, bitter/hoppy, floral, astringent. It doesn't do sour, but some saisons do feature sour flavors quite nicely. Other good examples to begin with would be: Dupont's Foret Saison, Saison D'Erpe-Mere, Jolly Pumpkin's Bam Biere, & Saison D'Epeautre.

There are a slim number of American breweries that do the style well. Boulevard is king of the American Saison, but the aforementioned Jolly Pumpkin brews some of the most traditional saisons out there. The Bruery puts out a couple of stellar saisons. Southhampton does good work too. Also, Stillwater Artisinal Ales.

so I popped a bottle of Dupont with some friends...

I immediately got the appeal of the style....great funky nose, a teeny tiny bit of sour, the taste seemed to swirl...it was never just one thing....a bit of citrus zing throughout keeping the whole thing together...

can't wait to try another...

Reaper16 04-03-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7534565)
so I popped a bottle of Dupont with some friends...

I immediately got the appeal of the style....great funky nose, a teeny tiny bit of sour, the taste seemed to swirl...it was never just one thing....a bit of citrus zing throughout keeping the whole thing together...

can't wait to try another...

Yes! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

shirtsleeve 04-07-2011 04:02 PM

Had one of these at a local brew pub. Very good porter!
http://www.narragansettbeer.com/wp-c...ett_Porter.JPG

Its good that 'Gansett is back, now owned by craft brewers, using the same good water as its predecessor once did back when, before corporations corrupted it.

NewChief 04-20-2011 04:19 PM

Drinking the Foret Organic Saison. It's a little one-note for me at this point with lots of hops. It's good, though, but I wouldn't regularly choose it over less expensive Saisons like Tank 7 or Saison Dupont.

Edit: I'll change my opinion (I should have served this cold to let things open up as I drank it, but I served it at pretty much room temp, somewhat limiting the "journey" of the beer). It has quite a bit of complexity. There's some lemon and herbs in there as well as the funky skunky of the hops that bring a brightness to it. Still not sold on it over others, but I'm glad I bought it and tried it.

Bearcat 05-25-2011 06:39 PM

HOLY ****ING SHIT!

Going to Omaha this weekend, and I've been talking to a friend up there about trying some new beer... I was going to bring up some Stone Brewery stuff, and he bought some Sam Adam's Longshot, etc.

He calls me and says he's looking at 3 bottles of Boulevard 21st Anniversary Pale Ale.... was this released again?

I told him to buy all 3 (plus some Imperial Stout)... he laughed, but obviously doesn't understand the demand around here when it came out.

Reaper16 05-25-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 7663100)
HOLY ****ING SHIT!

Going to Omaha this weekend, and I've been talking to a friend up there about trying some new beer... I was going to bring up some Stone Brewery stuff, and he bought some Sam Adam's Longshot, etc.

He calls me and says he's looking at 3 bottles of Boulevard 21st Anniversary Pale Ale.... was this released again?

I told him to buy all 3 (plus some Imperial Stout)... he laughed, but obviously doesn't understand the demand around here when it came out.

No, it was not released again. And won't be.

Bearcat 05-25-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7663180)
No, it was not released again. And won't be.

I didn't think so, and figured I would have heard if there was more available around here... I know Boulevard says it's good asap, but do you think there's any harm in storing one of those for a while?

Reaper16 05-25-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 7663209)
I didn't think so, and figured I would have heard if there was more available around here... I know Boulevard says it's good asap, but do you think there's any harm in storing one of those for a while?

Yes. It's not going to lend itself to aging, IMO. It's a beer based entirely on the interplay between the hops and the English specialty malts. When the hops fade off, then you're going to be left with an underwhelming beer at best.

Bearcat 05-25-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7663274)
Yes. It's not going to lend itself to aging, IMO. It's a beer based entirely on the interplay between the hops and the English specialty malts. When the hops fade off, then you're going to be left with an underwhelming beer at best.

Thanks, it probably wouldn't have lasted long anyway.

Fish 06-06-2011 09:54 PM

Some local KC love..... 75th St. Brewery's Summit St. IPA is pretty damn good. Some very complex flavors there, more than I can really identify. I'd like to hear if anybody else has tried it. I detect some citrus at first, with some pine tree aftertaste. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I was really impressed though.

Anybody?

Reaper16 06-06-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 7682023)
Some local KC love..... 75th St. Brewery's Summit St. IPA is pretty damn good. Some very complex flavors there, more than I can really identify. I'd like to hear if anybody else has tried it. I detect some citrus at first, with some pine tree aftertaste. I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I was really impressed though.

Anybody?

That makes perfect sense to me. In fact, those are the two predominant flavors of IPAs.

kstater 06-10-2011 04:51 PM

Picked up a bottle of Boulevard's Imperial Stout in LR yesterday. Upon first sip, should have picked up several.

Saulbadguy 06-10-2011 04:52 PM

I believe Saison-Bret comes out next week.

Saulbadguy 06-10-2011 04:55 PM

Sweetness overload. Might be good with BBQ (if you like Strawberry Pop/Red Cream soda):

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/up...er.preview.jpg

kstater 06-10-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante Hicks (Post 7690421)
I believe Saison-Bret comes out next week.

Yea. The girl that checked me out was confused/pissed because the code in the comp was the same as the Imp Stout. Had to get the beer guy to come down and figure it out.

DeezNutz 06-10-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7690419)
Picked up a bottle of Boulevard's Imperial Stout in LR yesterday. Upon first sip, should have picked up several.

Wasn't a fan of this, and I generally like stouts. It received excellent reviews, however.

kstater 06-10-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7690515)
Wasn't a fan of this, and I generally like stouts. It received excellent reviews, however.

I saw in the reviews that they had a batch with brett by mistake. I'm sure if you weren't expecting it, I could see how it'd be different than what you wanted. I like it, have a non-brett. I still put Bourbon County above it though as far as bourbon aged RIS goes.

phisherman 06-15-2011 03:31 PM

Saison Brett has started its assault on KC.

I've got 4 bottles already.

Shag 06-15-2011 03:39 PM

I wonder if Saison Brett will make it to Minneapolis. I've really been wanting to try that one...

DeezNutz 06-15-2011 04:19 PM

Picked up Sixth Glass lil' smokies. Never had it before but looking forward to cracking a bottle.

phisherman 06-24-2011 07:03 PM

My friend in AZ just mailed me a bottle of Dogfish Head's Bitches Brew, an Imperial stout that was brewed in tribute to Miles' seminal fusion album of the same name.

Anyone try this stuff?

kstater 07-16-2011 01:28 PM

Brewing a Pliny clone today.

Found a bottle of Hopsickle from Moylans(love their Kiltlifter BTW) at the liqour store. Knowing it likely wasn't fresh due to location, I'm impressed with it. Great backbone to balance the bitterness.

Reaper16 07-16-2011 01:30 PM

Sheeeeeeeeeiiit, I forgot about this thread. I've had one HELL of a beer month. Highlights were two bottles of Cantillon Fou' Foune and multiple rare one-off beers consumed AT Three Floyds Brewing.

HonestChieffan 07-16-2011 01:38 PM

I had Arrogant Bastard recently for the first time and another ale from same brewery last night....pretty fine stuff that

KCUnited 07-24-2011 08:30 AM

Boulevard/Deschutes White I.P.A. last night. Very good, I plan to pick a couple more up this morning.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7307/bbq3x.jpg

Reaper16 07-24-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7767401)
Boulevard/Deschutes White I.P.A. last night. Very good, I plan to pick a couple more up this morning.

I hear the Deschutes bottled version (Conflux #2) is even better (Boulevard's brewmaster, Steven Pauwels, thinks that the BLVD bottled version is too heavy on the sage), but Deschutes may not make it to MO in time to get that beer into the KC marketplace. :(

KCUnited 07-24-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7767608)
I hear the Deschutes bottled version (Conflux #2) is even better (Boulevard's brewmaster, Steven Pauwels, thinks that the BLVD bottled version is too heavy on the sage), but Deschutes may not make it to MO in time to get that beer into the KC marketplace. :(

Interesting. Any idea if the Blvd version is available in OR?

Reaper16 07-24-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7767712)
Interesting. Any idea if the Blvd version is available in OR?

Yeah, OR gets BLVD beers.

Deschutes announced their entering the MO market months ago, but there have been some snags as far as getting an adequate amount of product together for the state debut. Deschutes had planned all along to be in MO by the time Conflux #2 comes out (I think it hits shelves in the next couple of weeks, if not next week), but that isn't going to happen now. They could always hold back some cases of Conflux #2 for when they can enter MO, but the beer is meant to be consumed fresh.

Saulbadguy 07-29-2011 05:31 PM

Saison Dupont.

Marcellus 07-29-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7767401)

I am in the Portland area and went to Deschutes yesterday. I had both theirs and the Boulevard version. I am a huge fan of BB but as statedby Reaper the Deschutes is a bit better.

I have been there, 2 of the McMenamins Brew Pubs, Pelican Brewery in Pacific City, and a place called Everyone's Brewery in White Salmon WA.

Tommorow is the Oregon Brewer's Festival. :thumb:

KCUnited 08-06-2011 11:16 AM

Rimann Liquors, Prairie Village. Well played Kansas, well played.

Reaper16 08-06-2011 11:45 AM

I got some Northeast IPAs today as extras in a beer trade. I bet these suck.

Bump 08-06-2011 11:56 AM

I've had quite a few beers on that top 50 list, some are great but some are just okay. Lots of belgian style blonde ales, which I just can't get into for whatever reason.

cdcox 08-06-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7116346)

Goose Island Matilda -- this is a Belgian Pale Ale. It isn't nearly as hoppy as an American Pale Ale; the yummy Belgian yeast is the major player here. Brewing spices, airy malt, some grassy hops, wonderful fruit flavors of lemon, pear and white grape, and a lively effervescence. This beer is very refreshing yet complex. And it is insane to pair with all kinds of food, from grilled salmon to a simple turkey sandwich.

I had this for the first time last weekend. I really enjoyed it. Nice viscosity and maltiness to serve up the complexity of the Belgian yeast.

Reaper16 08-06-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 7805518)
I've had quite a few beers on that top 50 list, some are great but some are just okay. Lots of belgian style blonde ales, which I just can't get into for whatever reason.

There aren't any Belgian Blonde Ales on that list... unless by blonde ale you mean to refer to every Belgian pale-malt or wheat-malt beer on the list (which would include Orval and all of the Saisons and all of the witbiers). If that's the case then I make this face: :(

Bump 08-06-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7805575)
There aren't any Belgian Blonde Ales on that list... unless by blonde ale you mean to refer to every Belgian pale-malt or wheat-malt beer on the list (which would include Orval and all of the Saisons and all of the witbiers). If that's the case then I make this face: :(

like the Ommegang Hennepin, Leffe Blonde, etc. I thought those were belgian blondes.

DeezNutz 08-06-2011 01:19 PM

Enjoyed a Boulevard Saison-Brett 2011 the other day. Great stuff.

Reaper16 08-06-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 7805597)
like the Ommegang Hennepin, Leffe Blonde, etc. I thought those were belgian blondes.

Hennepin is a Saison (and a shitty one at that; I don't blame you one bit for not liking that beer). Leffe Blonde is definitely a blonde, but isn't on the top 50 list in the OP (which was the list I was assuming that you were referring to).

kstater 08-06-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7805629)
Enjoyed a Boulevard Saison-Brett 2011 the other day. Great stuff.

Was in okc the other day and picked up two bottles. Had one last nigt. Should havepicked up 4.

Reaper16 08-06-2011 03:17 PM

Saison-Brett is one of Earth's best beers.

DeezNutz 08-06-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7805791)
Was in okc the other day and picked up two bottles. Had one last nigt. Should havepicked up 4.

I was truly impressed with it, too.

Needed the rebound, since I was a little disappointed with Collaboration #2.

kstater 08-06-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 7805897)
I was truly impressed with it, too.

Needed the rebound, since I was a little disappointed with Collaboration #2.

I knew it was good, had it in 09.

Miles 08-07-2011 01:01 AM

Funkwerks - Maori King Imperial Saison.

Pretty damn delicious.

BigChiefFan 08-07-2011 01:21 AM

Beer snobs...please enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55lxV...eature=related

If you don't, please have another beer.

Bump 08-07-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7805647)
Hennepin is a Saison (and a shitty one at that; I don't blame you one bit for not liking that beer). Leffe Blonde is definitely a blonde, but isn't on the top 50 list in the OP (which was the list I was assuming that you were referring to).

ok, my bad.

Reaper16 08-07-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 7806694)
Beer snobs...please enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55lxV...eature=related

If you don't, please have another beer.

I don't know which is worse: you, this post, or the band Cake.

OnTheWarpath15 08-07-2011 12:52 PM

I've become a huge fan of Boulevard's Two Jokers from their Smokestack Series.

Reaper16 08-07-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7807222)
I've become a huge fan of Boulevard's Two Jokers from their Smokestack Series.

The 2011 version is the best new beer I've had all year. It's incredible. The change in the 2011 version is that they fermented 25% of the batch with lactic acid. This accounts for the slight sourness, like in a Berliner Weisse. It takes the beer to a whole other level.

KC native 08-07-2011 04:32 PM

Got my hands on The Boulevard and Deschuttes White IPA. Fantastic. Being a West Coast/Imperial/Double IPA fan, I was a little skeptical at first but the first sip was awesome. I was surprised my friend found it here.

Also, got my hands on Lagunitas Maximus. ****ing awesome as well.

kstater 08-07-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7807305)
The 2011 version is the best new beer I've had all year. It's incredible. The change in the 2011 version is that they fermented 25% of the batch with lactic acid. This accounts for the slight sourness, like in a Berliner Weisse. It takes the beer to a whole other level.

Damn, didn't know that, would have picked some up last time I had a chance.

Miles 08-07-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 7807719)
Also, got my hands on Lagunitas Maximus. ****ing awesome as well.

Good stuff. Their Hop Stupid is well worth a try if you like hoppy IPAs.

KC native 08-07-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 7807755)
Good stuff. Their Hop Stupid is well worth a try if you like hoppy IPAs.

I love hop stupid (it's the first lagunitas beer I ever tried). I've been all over it since it showed up in the store. Probably had a good 7 or 8 bottles of it.

NewChief 08-16-2011 12:37 PM

Tried the Two Joker's Double Wit, and I liked it. My wife hated it. In what way is a double wit related to a sour beer? It was fairly sour, but I enjoyed it.

ToxSocks 08-16-2011 12:41 PM

Had a High Life last night. Champagne of beers you know.

OnTheWarpath15 08-16-2011 12:47 PM

Any fans of Dogfish Head?

Can't get it here, but I'm heading to Chicago this weekend and want to give it a shot.

Any specific style of theirs I should try?

Reaper16 08-16-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7829297)
Tried the Two Joker's Double Wit, and I liked it. My wife hated it. In what way is a double wit related to a sour beer? It was fairly sour, but I enjoyed it.

They changed the recipe to include 25% sour version (via lactic fermentation) blended in. It's a bit of Berliner Weisse like character that really takes the beer to a world-class level.

Reaper16 08-16-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7829336)

Can't get it here, but I'm heading to Chicago this weekend and want to give it a shot.

Most of their beers are gigantic and very sweet. Their historic ales series is pretty interesting. I really like their Sah'tea and Chateau Jiahu historic ales. They have a lot of beers worth trying. What sorts of styles are you interested in?

the Talking Can 08-16-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 7829336)

most anything is worth a try, but one of their most straight forward beers (imo), and absolutely delicious, is the Indian Brown Ale...

frankotank 08-16-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7805829)
Saison-Brett is one of Earth's best beers.

if only one beer is in heaven, it will be blvd BBQ!

Bump 08-16-2011 05:45 PM

I got my hands on some Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu last night. I highly recommend this one, golden in color, some honey, grape and spice notes. Low carbonation and very drinkable for such a high abv. Very good shit!

luv 08-28-2011 06:02 PM

Drinking a Genesee Cream Ale out of NY. Not bad.

NewChief 08-30-2011 12:41 PM

This list is bound to piss off the KC beerists:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/b...le+Feedfetcher

Quote:

You know those amber waves of grain? Well, it turns out they can be made into some mighty fine beer. These seven Midwestern breweries show us how it's done.

Erase any ideas you might have of Midwestern beers being only of the Miller and Schlitz variety. This new generation of local breweries are reaching deep into the regions beer-brewing roots, adding some modern twists, and producing some outright amazing brews.

• Three Floyds Brewing Co.
Munster, Indiana
Think of this brewery as punk rock meets brewing.
Beers to Try: Alpha King Pale Ale, Gumballhead Wheat Ale, Dark Lord Imperial Stout

• Goose Island Beer Company
Chicago, Illinois
Brewing up some excellent Belgian-style beers along with classic brews.
Beers to Try: Pere Jacques Belgian-Style Abbey Ale, Honker's Ale English-Style Bitter, Bourbon County Barrel-Aged Stout

• Surly Brewing Company
Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
Cooling tempers with full-bodied and full-flavored beer since 2005.
Beers to Try: Bender Brown Ale, Furious IPA, and CynicAle Farmhouse Ale

• Bell's Brewery
Kalamazoo, Michigan
There's something for everyone in this brewery's line-up of over 20 beers.
Beers to Try: Hopslam Double IPA, Kalamazoo Stout, Oberon Wheat Ale

• Founders Brewing Company
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Go big or go home. These beers don't pull any punches.
Beers to Try: Breakfast Stout, Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale, Centennial IPA

• Great Lakes Brewing Company
Cleveland, Ohio
Singlehandedly saving Ohioans and I-90 travelers from bland beer.
Beers to Try: Burning River Pale Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Great Lakes Christmas Ale

• New Glarus Brewing Company
New Glarus, Wisconsin
A little brewery with some big beers.
Beers to Try: Back Forty Bock, Moon Man Pale Ale, Dancing Man Wheat
I had a very hard time narrowing this list down to just seven breweries. (Especially in Michigan. Wow, you guys have some good breweries!)
Give a shout-out to your favorite midwest brewery! Whose beers would you road-trip for?

Dartgod 08-30-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7863419)
This list is bound to piss off the KC beerists:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/b...le+Feedfetcher

There's some good beers there, but when I think of the Midwest, I don't think of Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio and Minnesota.

Fish 08-30-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 7863452)
There's some good beers there, but when I think of the Midwest, I don't think of Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio and Minnesota.

Yeah... all of those breweries are in the Great Lakes states. Most are withing a few hundred miles of each other. Not really "the Midwest"....

Reaper16 08-30-2011 04:40 PM

Those are awesome (albeit obvious) breweries. Not a single part of me is pissed off that the author wasn't inclusive enough.

As for the defintion of Midwest, I'm a supporter of the all-inclusive definition. The Midwest stretches from Ohio through Kansas. Why? Because everyone in that span thinks of themselves as living in the Midwest, so why not.

Bearcat 09-02-2011 09:20 AM

This would be cool...

http://www.boulevard.com/experiences...ter-luncheons/

kstater 09-11-2011 04:27 PM

Just popped a bottle of Life and Limb, a collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head. Highly recommend it. Fantastic beer.

Shag 09-16-2011 10:02 AM

One of my top two beer events of the year is tomorrow here in Minneapolis - Autumn Brew Review. 89 Breweries, 345+ beers, 4 hours to drink as much as you want on a flat admission fee. An unbelievable event...

Here's the program, if anyone's interested: http://www.mncraftbrew.org/wp-conten...ProgramWEB.pdf

NewChief 09-16-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 7898910)
Just popped a bottle of Life and Limb, a collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head. Highly recommend it. Fantastic beer.

Saw this at my local store. Will probably get one for tonight.

Saulbadguy 09-16-2011 10:07 AM

Has anyone tried any brews from Cathedral Square? I have a Belgian White sitting in the fridge awaiting me.

Also have a He'Brew Lenny's R.I.P.A. 4 pack and a sixer of Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. It's going to be an excellent evening.

Bearcat 10-19-2011 05:45 PM

Went to the beer store for a 6 pack, and ended up with three... didn't know it was the first day for Nutcracker, and I've heard nothing but great things about the Pumpkin Ale.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...019_184035.jpg

Phobia 10-19-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 8007464)
Went to the beer store for a 6 pack, and ended up with three... didn't know it was the first day for Nutcracker, and I've heard nothing but great things about the Pumpkin Ale.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...019_184035.jpg

You did well, young man. Invite me over now. You have 2 of my top 20 beers in your fridge. Of course, there are probably 50 beers on my top 20 depending on the season.

Phobia 10-19-2011 05:53 PM

If I may make a suggestion though... Let that Nutcracker sit for another 2-3 weeks before opening one. I had an early season sixer last year that tasted horrible. It needs a little more time.

Bearcat 10-19-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 8007479)
If I may make a suggestion though... Let that Nutcracker sit for another 2-3 weeks before opening one. I had an early season sixer last year that tasted horrible. It needs a little more time.

Sure, stop by... I'd like an estimate on a deck.

Thanks, I'll try waiting on the Nutcracker.

I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Sam Adams... actually don't like the original all that much, but tried several last winter and had some Black Lager and their Pumpkin Ale last weekend.

Lonewolf Ed 10-19-2011 06:35 PM

I'm still waiting on a stout called Abyss, from Deschutes, an Oregon brewery. The distribution map shows that it is still "coming soon" to Kansas and Missouri. Has anyone out there tried it? The write up has me anxious to sample it.