ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News 17 dead after duck boat capsizes on Table Rock Lake (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316341)

Dartgod 07-21-2018 10:45 PM

Neither one of those state that the boat entered the water after the warning was issued.

HemiEd 07-22-2018 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13638626)
Neither one of those state that the boat entered the water after the warning was issued.

It was a beautiful day and it came out of nowhere. We were not aware of any warnings here at all .

Flying High D 07-22-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/stat...215222260.html

Flying High D 07-22-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13638746)
It was a beautiful day and it came out of nowhere. We were not aware of any warnings here at all .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshal...ut-of-nowhere/

Yep, just popped out of nowhere. National Weather Service wasn’t tracking it all when it formed in northwest Kansas and Cental Nebraska and traveled towards Branson. Total negligence on the ride operators.

stumppy 07-22-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13638769)

Damn

Al Alonzo was at his home about five minutes north of Branson when he saw the weather report shortly after 6 p.m. It said there was a storm coming and it would hit the area about 7 p.m.

By 6:30 p.m. Alonzo, 66, was watching small barbecue grills and lawn chairs getting blown over by strong winds. He helped some ladies in his neighborhood get inside and told them to hunker down.

His son told him that, shortly before 7 p.m., he saw a duck boat headed for the lake.

The wind was coming in strong and the water was choppy.

“They’re not going in, are they?” Alonzo said. “I don’t think they’d be going in when it’s like this.”

By Friday morning Alonzo had heard what happened to the boat.

“They went in,” he said. “Stupid, I can’t understand that.”

redfan 07-22-2018 08:57 AM

Overloaded and underpowered in high waves is a recipe for disaster. Lake was probably calmer when they went in, they tried to beat the storm.

HemiEd 07-22-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13638777)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshal...ut-of-nowhere/

Yep, just popped out of nowhere. National Weather Service wasn’t tracking it all when it formed in northwest Kansas and Cental Nebraska and traveled towards Branson. Total negligence on the ride operators.

I sure wasn't aware of it, but obviously they should have been.

I had all of my family here and we were eating, drinking and enjoying the evening.

For us, it came out of nowhere, but obviously those paying attention to media should have known about it according to this information you provided.

cooper barrett 07-22-2018 12:04 PM

"Steve Paul, owner of the Test Drive Technologies inspection service in the St. Louis area, said he issued a written report for the company in August 2017. It explained why the boats' engines - and pumps that remove water from their hulls - might fail in inclement weather"

Reported by AP

Do you think that this defect was disclosed to Ripley and was documented as part of the sale or did Ripley not know that the bilge system needed upgrading?

This may open up the food chain to the past owners.

dj56dt58 07-22-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Do your own ****ing research it’s not that hard

Flying High D 07-22-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 13639184)
Do your own ****ing research it’s not that hard

Nope, will go with what is written on a fan message board by people who don’t have a clue what the hell they are writing and/or arguing about. Please, get with the program. If not bring out the ban hammer. Better to ban them than be proven wrong.

scho63 07-22-2018 02:26 PM

Whoever made the decision to go out in that weather deserves all the punishment that can be legally dished out.

Flying High D 07-22-2018 02:28 PM

Ultimately it is the boat operator.

Dartgod 07-22-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13638782)
Damn

Al Alonzo was at his home about five minutes north of Branson when he saw the weather report shortly after 6 p.m. It said there was a storm coming and it would hit the area about 7 p.m.

By 6:30 p.m. Alonzo, 66, was watching small barbecue grills and lawn chairs getting blown over by strong winds. He helped some ladies in his neighborhood get inside and told them to hunker down.

His son told him that, shortly before 7 p.m., he saw a duck boat headed for the lake.

The wind was coming in strong and the water was choppy.

“They’re not going in, are they?” Alonzo said. “I don’t think they’d be going in when it’s like this.”

By Friday morning Alonzo had heard what happened to the boat.

“They went in,” he said. “Stupid, I can’t understand that.”

Something doesn't add up here. It's 6.3 miles from the duck's home on 76 to the Branson Belle, which is right about where it sank. That's at least a 15 minute drive. This guy lives 5 minutes north of Branson and his son saw them headed for the lake "shortly before seven". How is it possible that they got in the water and then sank at 7:09?

Dartgod 07-22-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13639289)
Nope, will go with what is written on a fan message board by people who don’t have a clue what the hell they are writing and/or arguing about. Please, get with the program. If not bring out the ban hammer. Better to ban them than be proven wrong.

Are you suggesting that I would ban him in order to win an argument?

Flying High D 07-22-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13639549)
Are you suggesting that I would ban him in order to win an argument?

Are you suggesting that is a non-ban able offense?