ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mark Cuban: "The NFL is 10 years away from an implosion." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282526)

GloryDayz 09-17-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 10923310)
Troy Aikman like 5 or 6 years ago said we wouldn't recognize the NFL in 10 years. I've looked back at that statement a lot recently.

You're right... Wow, I had forgotten that. Looks like he was right.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-17-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10924389)
You're right... Wow, I had forgotten that. Looks like he was right.

Someone needs to dig that up.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-17-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 505 Chief (Post 10924392)
Someone needs to dig that up.

I did however find this, and holy shit it sucks:

http://www.businessinsider.com/for-t...0-2010-10?op=1

cosmo20002 09-17-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeMyValentine (Post 10923553)
Fantasy football has ruined this sport for me.

Why?

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-17-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10924475)
Why?

Is there such a thing as "fantasy defense"?

Discuss Thrower 09-17-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10924475)
Why?

It devalues defensive performance in the actual game as well as the importance of a team.

cosmo20002 09-17-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 505 Chief (Post 10924481)
Is there such a thing as "fantasy defense"?

yes

cosmo20002 09-17-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10924488)
It devalues defensive performance in the actual game as well as the importance of a team.

That doesn't explain how FF makes someone like football less.

Discuss Thrower 09-17-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10924507)
yes

Go ahead and find the numbers that compares the amount of people playing "regular" fantasy football with those in IDP leagues.

Hell, fantasy sports has devalued themselves over the years. It used to be a game that measured players' performances over a season.. Now it's all about weekly match ups against another opponent.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-17-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10924513)

It clearly places a premium on offense, making offense more important, which ties in nicely to the "new" NFL and it's "safety" rules that allow offenses to be more potent while defenses have to walk on eggshells.

Goddamnit man, gloss over the link I just threw up. If if even HALF of that shit comes to pass, what is the ****ing point of even watching?

Discuss Thrower 09-17-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10924513)

The league has a big incentive to free up offenses for more scoring because it keeps an audience's interest as well as satisfies the wants of fantasy owners.

A player's fantasy performance becomes a cheap talking point for announcers in broadcasts.. that can alienate someone.

Again, it makes football more about an individual's performance on a team moreso than the about the performance of the team in general.

GoChargers 09-17-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10924529)
The league has a big incentive to free up offenses for more scoring because it keeps an audience's interest as well as satisfies the wants of fantasy owners.

A player's fantasy performance becomes a cheap talking point for announcers in broadcasts.. that can alienate someone.

Also, it turns a lot of fans into douchebags who only see players as stats on a sheet for their all-important fantasy teams.

I've never played fantasy football and never will. It's reached a level where it has become bad for the sport, and I can't support that.

cosmo20002 09-17-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 505 Chief (Post 10924528)
It clearly places a premium on offense, making offense more important, which ties in nicely to the "new" NFL and it's "safety" rules that allow offenses to be more potent while defenses have to walk on eggshells.

Goddamnit man, gloss over the link I just threw up. If if even HALF of that shit comes to pass, what is the ****ing point of even watching?

I looked at the link and most of those things are ludicrous.
I don't buy at all that the NFL is tweaking rules in order to satisfy FF players.
I do think they are legitimately concerned about bigger, stronger, faster players giving each other brain damage. There's huge liability there and they are going to address it.

Sure, it's fun to watch devastating hits, but I can't really blame them for feeling like they have to take some steps to address some of the safety issues.

Honestly, I think some of the complaining on this board comes from the fact that the Chiefs have maybe had two even decent QBs since Len Dawson and our really our only great receiver since the old days has been a TE. If we had a great QB, I'm guessing we'd hear less complaining about too much offense.

vailpass 09-17-2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10924619)
I don't buy at all that the NFL is tweaking rules in order to satisfy FF players.
I do think they are legitimately concerned about bigger, stronger, faster players giving each other brain damage. There's huge liability there and they are going to address it.

Sure, it's fun to watch devastating hits, but I can't really blame them for feeling like they have to take some steps to address some of the safety issues.

Honestly, I think some of the complaining on this board comes from the fact that the Chiefs have maybe had two even decent QBs since Len Dawson and our really our only great receiver since the old days has been a TE. If we had a great QB, I'm guessing we'd hear less complaining about too much offense.

Pretty much this...

Direckshun 09-18-2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10924619)
I don't buy at all that the NFL is only tweaking rules in order to satisfy FF players.
I do think they are legitimately concerned about appearing not to care about bigger, stronger, faster players giving each other brain damage. There's huge liability there that they have the world's best-paid army of lawyers to protect themselves from, but it is a PR nightmare and they are going to address it.

Sure, one of the central reasons anybody watches football is to watch devastating hits, but I can't really blame them for feeling like they have to take some steps to address the PR difficulties with some of the safety issues.

FYP