ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life ***** All things Fitness ***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=341639)

SupDock 06-13-2023 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 16979773)
Same, I have seen too many bicep tears from the mixed grip. To me it doesn't even feel good to grip mixed.

I hook grip. I am lucky to have a really strong grip.

With having part of my clavicle removed I have to be extra conscious to not let that shoulder roll forward. It sucks but has also forced me to spend the extra time to get form locked in.

I started deadlifting about 6 months ago. My grip has been the big limiter. Trying to minimize straps and I have definitely seen progress, but not pulling nearly what you all are. I am trying hook grip but it hurts a little bit

I’m able to pull 245 or so with straps

Rams Fan 06-13-2023 12:25 PM

Benched 315 on Saturday.

Gonna focus on training to run a marathon in December now.

loochy 06-13-2023 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16979793)
I started deadlifting about 6 months ago. My grip has been the big limiter. Trying to minimize straps and I have definitely seen progress, but not pulling nearly what you all are. I am trying hook grip but it hurts a little bit

I’m able to pull 245 or so with straps

I never could do hook grip. To me, it hurts like a bitch and it feels weird to the point of distracting the lift.

loochy 06-13-2023 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16979799)
Benched 315 on Saturday.

Gonna focus on training to run a marathon in December now.

You're going to run off all of your newly gained strength!

penguinz 06-13-2023 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16979780)
How's benching and chest movements? Those are the hardest for me...the chest contraction causes an almost automatic roll forward. I haven't benched more than 75s pain free for the last year.

Takes a lot of physical and mental energy to keep the shoulder back. I keep a slingshot with me for those days that it is a struggle.

Most I have pushed raw on bench is 265 since getting back to the gym. PR before injuries was 315.

Rams Fan 06-13-2023 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16979813)
You're going to run off all of your newly gained strength!

Weight crept up to 240 currently within the past year, which is not where I usually am (usually am around 215-225).

Trying to slim down to 190-200 long-term, so focusing on changing what I put in my body (less alcohol and sweets) as well as exercise. With being 5'10", 240 is too much on me and I don't like the way I look.

Was nice to bench 315 though. Will probably still lift twice a week just to get some reps. Would love to maintain my strength but doubt I will if I'm focusing on distance running.

I hiked down and back in the Grand Canyon last year (18 miles total), which was pure hell. So, hopefully running a marathon isn't worse than that.

loochy 06-13-2023 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 16979825)
Takes a lot of physical and mental energy to keep the shoulder back. I keep a slingshot with me for those days that it is a struggle.

Most I have pushed raw on bench is 265 since getting back to the gym. PR before injuries was 315.

Did you get the red slingshot or the blue one? I have the red one, but it's almost too strong. I can't even really feel anything until I get 225 on the bar. Also, the arm holes are too small...I don't huge arms or anything, but I figured that these things were made with thick powerlifters in mind.

loochy 06-13-2023 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16979864)
Weight crept up to 240 currently within the past year, which is not where I usually am (usually am around 215-225).

Trying to slim down to 190-200 long-term, so focusing on changing what I put in my body (less alcohol and sweets) as well as exercise. With being 5'10", 240 is too much on me and I don't like the way I look.

Was nice to bench 315 though. Will probably still lift twice a week just to get some reps. Would love to maintain my strength but doubt I will if I'm focusing on distance running.

I hiked down and back in the Grand Canyon last year (18 miles total), which was pure hell. So, hopefully running a marathon isn't worse than that.

Well, good luck.

I'd love a big long Grand Canyon hike and I would hate running a marathon more than anything.

Rams Fan 06-13-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16979890)
Well, good luck.

I'd love a big long Grand Canyon hike and I would hate running a marathon more than anything.

Thanks.

I’d love to hike the Canyon again, but I’ve never put myself through such physical hell. It was awesome, but last 2-3 miles with ice at the top was ass.

penguinz 06-13-2023 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16979884)
Did you get the red slingshot or the blue one? I have the red one, but it's almost too strong. I can't even really feel anything until I get 225 on the bar. Also, the arm holes are too small...I don't huge arms or anything, but I figured that these things were made with thick powerlifters in mind.

I have the red. I start my lifts at 225, i do a couple reps of just bar and then a couple 135 as warmup/setting position, so being stronger than the blue isn't a big deal for me.

It is tight. I got the next size up from what it recommended so it could be worse.

ThaVirus 06-13-2023 01:44 PM

Quote:

My opinion doesn't mean dick, but I think you've got the right of it.

I don't know much about your body composition but at 5'10" you really shouldn't be above 200 for your long-term health. You're better off slimming down than focusing on strength.

Marcellus 06-13-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

5'10 225 is still pretty big.

I'm 5'11 185 right now and can bench around 290, working on getting back to 300 in the next month or so.

And I'm also training for a marathon in November. Its a tough balance for certain but I've benched 300 and ran a 3:20 marathon in the same 6-8 month time period back in 2018 so hope I can do it again except in the same month this time. (5 years older as well ugh)

Rams Fan 06-13-2023 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16979962)
My opinion doesn't mean dick, but I think you've got the right of it.

I don't know much about your body composition but at 5'10" you really shouldn't be above 200 for your long-term health. You're better off slimming down than focusing on strength.

100% agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16979976)
5'10 225 is still pretty big.

I'm 5'11 185 right now and can bench around 290, working on getting back to 300 in the next month or so.

And I'm also training for a marathon in November. Its a tough balance for certain but I've benched 300 and ran a 3:20 marathon in the same 6-8 month time period back in 2018 so hope I can do it again except in the same month this time. (5 years older as well ugh)

Yeah, 215-225 isn’t where I want to be but where I’ve seemed to settle without serious changes to diet.

And good luck!

penguinz 06-13-2023 05:00 PM

Quality shoulder and trap session today. Other than I care barely lift arms high enough to feed myself now.

In58men 06-13-2023 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 16980239)
Quality shoulder and trap session today. Other than I care barely lift arms high enough to feed myself now.

Do you think the Arnold press is effective?