ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mahomes Injury (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=326057)

xztop123 10-22-2019 03:27 AM

Can we just pleas put mahomes in knee braces on both legs. They aren’t gonna hamper anything.

Hell, if I were to play football again I’d come out in elbow pads, forearm pads, knee braces shin pads, padded gloves on the outside of the hand ect

I remember playing at times not 100% because everytime I made a tackle some ones helmet would hit my shin or when I went to block I’d smash my hand on someone’s helmet.

The one thing I’d lay off of is the over taping of the ankle because the mobility of the ankle prevents some much worse injuries further up the leg.

crayzkirk 10-22-2019 05:50 AM

What is the rush? The schedule is tough, the Patriots have a cakewalk and risking additional injury makes no sense. I've been waiting fifty years for another Super Bowl, I'm willing to wait until things are perfect. Patrick needs to be able to move to be who he is; the best QB off script that we have seen. The offensive line isn't very good and even though he may feel fine, he might not BE fine. Ligament and tendon injuries take time to heal.

MIAdragon 10-22-2019 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire (Post 14544152)
Um did the best receiver and tight end in football disappear? Those two can make most QBs appear competent. We’ll be fine with Moore you ****ing nancy.

Moore looked ****ing awful outside one throw. You’re fooling yourself if you think he’s going to be anything near competent.

Hammock Parties 10-22-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 14544509)
Moore looked ****ing awful outside one throw. You’re fooling yourself if you think he’s going to be anything near competent.

this isn't true

he looked good on the RPOs and converted a nice third down to Kelce

zinged a nice one over the middle to D-Rob that drew a PI

you can tell he still has his accuracy and smarts, just needs to get into a rhythm

Kman34 10-22-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

More reps in practice will make him look better but I agree he’s going to have a uphill battle....
I really think we will be lucky to win one game in 4 with Patty out..

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 14544512)
More reps in practice will make him look better but I agree he’s going to have a uphill battle....

I have no delusions about Moore. But i still remember Andy Reid carrying a Jeff Garcia led team to the playoffs when he could barely throw the ball 20 yards. He's won lots of games with ty and koy detmer, aj Feely, chase Daniel. Matt Moore is as good as most of those guys.

InChiefsHeaven 10-22-2019 07:05 AM

Quote:

Disagree. The longer he was in, the better and more comfortable he looked. Give this dude time to prepare and he'll be competent. A poor man's Alex Smith if you will, and that might be enough to win 2 of the next 4.

BigRedChief 10-22-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14540623)
Says who?

Every team not named New England has 2 or more losses right now. 11-5 could very well get the 2 seed.

I'm thinking we are finishing 10-6. Which wins the division because its the 2nd worse division in football.

Sure, its going to be a tough path in the playoffs to win on the road twice, but a healthy Mahomes can get it done.

BigRedChief 10-22-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 14544512)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544526)
I have no delusions about Moore. But i still remember Andy Reid carrying a Jeff Garcia led team to the playoffs when he could barely throw the ball 20 yards. He's won lots of games with ty and koy detmer, aj Feely, chase Daniel. Matt Moore is as good as most of those guys.

Didn't Andy have a shit backup QB start after 10 days when his ood QB went down. They were playing a good team too. They won. Andy can devise a scheme with that much time to maybe, just maybe get Moore to deliver the ball efficiently. But, if the defense doesn't play like they did against Denver, we are going to lose every game.

Hammock Parties 10-22-2019 08:29 AM

Titans
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers x2
Shitcago

11-5

at.

worst.

RunKC 10-22-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14544632)
Titans
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers x2
Shitcago

11-5

at.

worst.

And only 2 of those games are away games. Mexico City will likely be more of a home game for us

Frazod 10-22-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14544669)
And only 2 of those games are away games. Mexico City will likely be more of a home game for us

It will be a home game for us if Mahomes plays.

RunKC 10-22-2019 09:07 AM

Have to be 12-4 if we want the 2 seed. Hard to see the Colts or Texans finishing with more than 5 losses

O.city 10-22-2019 09:10 AM

Everyone wants to talk about being a dynasty like the Pats. Can't trade high picks, gotta build thru the draft gotta do this and that.

Well, you wanna be a dynasty? Stop caring so much about the division. The Pats dont' give a shit about their division, they care about getting HFA and getting a bye.

Marcellus 10-22-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14544692)
Everyone wants to talk about being a dynasty like the Pats. Can't trade high picks, gotta build thru the draft gotta do this and that.

Well, you wanna be a dynasty? Stop caring so much about the division. The Pats dont' give a shit about their division, they care about getting HFA and getting a bye.

Yup. We can't take shit for granted, every game counts.

And really if Reid was smart enough, we could protect Mahomes if we run a more conservative run more often, quick pass offense with Pat at QB and still be a better offense than with Moore out there.

O.city 10-22-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 14544697)
Yup. We can't take shit for granted, every game counts.

And really if Reid was smart enough, we could protect Mahomes if we run a more conservative run more often, quick pass offense with Pat at QB and still be a better offense than with Moore out there.

Yeah, you wouldn't even have to run more. Just run more quick game stuff for Pat with the WR's we have. Go back to the Alex smoke screens and stuff for a while to get him healthy if you want.

I don't give a shit about 10 wins and the division win and a 4 seed. Enough with that bullshit. It's one more playoff game, one more game for someone to get hurt etc.

Win 12, get the 2 seed and go from there.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14544691)
Have to be 12-4 if we want the 2 seed. Hard to see the Colts or Texans finishing with more than 5 losses

Buffalo is 5-1 and could easily also go 12-4 with their schedule.

O.city 10-22-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544702)

They're in the AFCe with NE, so they don't really matter.

pugsnotdrugs19 10-22-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

If Baltimore ends up 11-5 too, we have a shot to win that tiebreaker.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

The reason they are a dynasty is because Tom Brady has been there for a century. Sorry, I know people want to play best case scenario with mahomes' health. But it is absolutely crazy to think he has this magical healing power and that there isn't some long term reinjury risk in putting him back on the field too soon. The severity of injury and bracing reduces that risk. But it is still a risk. We have also had multiple playoff games where we were told Justin Houston and tamba Hali were healthy, we rushed them back, and they ended up getting reinjured.

Nobody wants to only win the division. Anyone who is focused on the division wants to make absolutely sure we get the best version of mahomes in the playoffs and the rest of his career. Especially with mobility... What if a few extra games gets you a more mobile version of mahomes, and id have to think that's the case especially with that ankle. Would you rather a 75% mahomes and a playoff bye or a much healthier mahomes for 3 playoff games. I'm definitely taking the latter.

O.city 10-22-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544714)
The reason they are a dynasty is because Tom Brady has been there for a century. Sorry, I know people want to play best case scenario with mahomes' health. But it is absolutely crazy to think he has this magical healing power and that there isn't some long term reinjury risk in putting him back on the field too soon. The severity of injury and bracing reduces that risk. But it is still a risk. We have also had multiple playoff games where we were told Justin Houston and tamba Hali were healthy, we rushed them back, and they ended up getting reinjured.

Nobody wants to only win the division. Anyone who is focused on the division wants to make absolutely sure we get the best version of mahomes in the playoffs and the rest of his career. Especially with mobility... What if a few extra games gets you a more mobile version of mahomes, and id have to think that's the case especially with that ankle. Would you rather a 75% mahomes and a playoff bye or a much healthier mahomes for 3 playoff games. I'm definitely taking the latter.

If him playing again this year is a risk to the rest of his career, just shut him down for the rest of the season now and look towards next year.

It's ****ing football. People get hurt. They aren't gonna rush him back and put him out there if he could get hurt and miss a large chunk of time or never be the same.

A 75% Mahomes is gonna get a week or two off at the end of the year before the playoffs if you get the bye.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14544721)
If him playing again this year is a risk to the rest of his career, just shut him down for the rest of the season now and look towards next year.

It's ****ing football. People get hurt. They aren't gonna rush him back and put him out there if he could get hurt and miss a large chunk of time or never be the same.

A 75% Mahomes is gonna get a week or two off at the end of the year before the playoffs if you get the bye.

Good grief, we aren't talking about a stinger. We are talking about an ankle sprain that has literally impacted games when he's hit the wrong way. Second half mahomes we saw vs Houston and indy isn't beating new England in the playoffs. You can't tell me a few weeks off doesn't dramatically reduce likelihood of that.

And when we're talking long term injury, we're talking about the known fact that this specific kneecap injury has a risk of dislocating again. Yes, we are accepting that risk, but its common sense that injuries this major will always benefit from time and rehab. Mahomes will more than accept that risk. That doesn't mean we should let him. Our risk tolerance is based on how badly we want to win the next few games. Sorry, but my risk tolerance is incredibly low when it comes to a franchise qb we've waited decades to get.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14544721)

Also, does anybody really think that mahomes playing 9 more games on an unhealed ankle then getting a bye week is going to heal nearly as well as getting it right now and letting him play the rest of the season on a healthier ankle? I sure don't

O.city 10-22-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544732)
Good grief, we aren't talking about a stinger. We are talking about an ankle sprain that has literally impacted games when he's hit the wrong way. Second half mahomes we saw vs Houston and indy isn't beating new England in the playoffs. You can't tell me a few weeks off doesn't dramatically reduce likelihood of that.

And when we're talking long term injury, we're talking about the known fact that this specific kneecap injury has a risk of dislocating again. Yes, we are accepting that risk, but its common sense that injuries this major will always benefit from time and rehab. Mahomes will more than accept that risk. That doesn't mean we should let him. Our risk tolerance is based on how badly we want to win the next few games. Sorry, but my risk tolerance is incredibly low when it comes to a franchise qb we've waited decades to get.

Ok, then again, if a high ankle sprain plus a dislocated knee will take a long time to get to 100%, you better go ahead and sit him for the rest of the year and come back next year.

Sit him til after the bye and he comes back 100 percent but the Chiefs are 5-5, you've got issues.

O.city 10-22-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544740)
Also, does anybody really think that mahomes playing 9 more games on an unhealed ankle then getting a bye week is going to heal nearly as well as getting it right now and letting him play the rest of the season on a healthier ankle? I sure don't

He looked fine playing on an "unhealed" ankle in the first half against the Texans and Colts.

Guys get hurt and play thru shit. If we're gonna not play guys that aren't 100 percent, no one will be playing after week 4.

RunKC 10-22-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14544747)
Ok, then again, if a high ankle sprain plus a dislocated knee will take a long time to get to 100%, you better go ahead and sit him for the rest of the year and come back next year.

Sit him til after the bye and he comes back 100 percent but the Chiefs are 5-5, you've got issues.

Sit him the rest of the year from an ankle sprain and dislocated patella that has zero ligament or nerve damage?

Am I reading that right?

IowaHawkeyeChief 10-22-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544732)

What do some of you not understand about no other damage when they describe Mahomes knee cap dislocation. Basically, it's a slight sprain of those ligaments with some swelling. When he's ready he will play. It sounds like that will be sooner rather than later and at no real risk it appears if you listen to the med folks.

O.city 10-22-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14544753)
Sit him the rest of the year from an ankle sprain and dislocated patella that has zero ligament or nerve damage?

Am I reading that right?

I don't want him to. But some seem to want to wrap him in bubble wrap and not put him back out there until he's 100 percent healthy .

O.city 10-22-2019 09:55 AM

If it's such a risk of reinjury, do you guys really think the Chiefs would run him back out there? How dumb do you think they are?

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14544748)
He looked fine playing on an "unhealed" ankle in the first half against the Texans and Colts.

Guys get hurt and play thru shit. If we're gonna not play guys that aren't 100 percent, no one will be playing after week 4.

Mahomes is tough as they come. For several games straight he was barely able to play through shit. That tells you a lot about his injury. It's not a stinger. It's the same injury over and over. I don't care if he plays OK with a million pounds of tape around it, if he's only going to re-aggravate it every game. It begins to matter when the most important player on the field can't use his legs and starts throwing passes into the ground.

It's obvious that this injury is due to the same ankle not being 100%. Nobody is saying hold him out a year. Are yiu really telling me that a few weeks won't improve his ankle health and mobility?

underEJ 10-22-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

So far, this man has done absolutely everything right. Even in crazy pain on the field, he stayed on top of Reiter, kept his leg straight and waited for help. He got all the right information, and he's doing all the right work to feel good on it. If he feels good, he plays. He's earned that.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14544756)
I don't want him to. But some seem to want to wrap him in bubble wrap and not put him back out there until he's 100 percent healthy .

Nobody is saying 100%. Otherwise people would be screaming for immediate surgery. I don't know anyone who's saying that. At most people are saying up to the bye week and most are saying take the safest timeline burkholder has available which is 3 or 4 weeks.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 14544767)
So far, this man has done absolutely everything right. Even in crazy pain on the field, he stayed on top of Reiter, kept his leg straight and waited for help. He got all the right information, and he's doing all the right work to feel good on it. If he feels good, he plays. He's earned that.

He's also said he feels good on the ankle and it re-aggravated to the point of badly hurting his performance for 3 straight weeks. I admire the hell out of his toughness. The guy would go out there with a broken neck if it was his choice. That doesn't mean we should let him.

FloridaMan88 10-22-2019 10:10 AM

The Chiefs will of course be careful/deliberate with Mahomes' recovery/return to play process, but the idea that Mahomes must be held out long term to avoid further injury to the knee is incorrect.

With no bone break or ligament damage, it is just a matter of recovering from the natural trauma of the joint dislocation (and relocation)... i.e. bruising, swelling, pain, etc.

I do think the Chiefs should be extra-cautious in bringing Mahomes back if it ends being the Chargers game in Mexico City as his first potential game back (questionable field conditions, extremely high altitude for a player who has not played in a month, etc.), but otherwise he should be good to go with minimal risk for re-injury.

BigRedChief 10-22-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14544632)
Titans
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers x2
Shitcago

11-5

at.

worst.

Quote:

We are not getting the 2 seed. Too many tie breakers go against us. the #2 seed was gone the moment Mahomes kneecap went sideways. Doesn't mean the season of dreaming of a Super Bowl is gone, just a little harder path now.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14544761)
If it's such a risk of reinjury, do you guys really think the Chiefs would run him back out there? How dumb do you think they are?

Do I think trainers send players back onto the field knowing there's risk? Of course they do. You have to get them back on the field eventually. It's not a question of what our training staff thinks. It's a question of how much risk mahomes, Reid, and hunt are willing to accept. I'm sure he will be given an aggressive and a cautious timeline. We know mahomes wants aggressive. If I'm Clark and Reid, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on that

Hammock Parties 10-22-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14544793)
We are not getting the 2 seed. Too many tie breakers go against us. the #2 seed was gone the moment Mahomes kneecap went sideways. Doesn't mean the season of dreaming of a Super Bowl is gone, just a little harder path now.

you actin' like a little bitch right now

UChieffyBugger 10-22-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Texans and Colts are in the same division whilst the Bills are in the same division as the Pats. We have a win against the Ravens therefore the only tie-breaker we have to be aware of is the Colts or Texans. Colts still have the Saints, Bucks, Texans, Panthers, Donks and Steelers to play as well as the Titans. Would anyone be surprised to see three or four loses In there? I certainly wouldn't.

Meanwhile the Texans have the Colts again, Pats, Ravens, Titans twice, Donks, Bucks and Jaggs who always give them problems. They will lose games too. We just have to hope we can steal a game or two whilst Pat is out and then we'll be able to know what is needed.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

The only teams that can beat mahomes on a healthy ankle are the Pats and the Chiefs. And we can beat the Pats.

treeguy27 10-22-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

As far as we know the last time his ankle got tweaked was in the Texans game. Even if he comes back and plays against the Vikings that's three weeks for the ankle to get better. If three weeks doesn't get it right, it probably won't be 100% all year.

chinaski 10-22-2019 11:03 AM

Shoot that knee and ankle full of cortisone, rub some dirt on it, get back out there.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on Chiefs Planet.

UChieffyBugger 10-22-2019 11:06 AM

Wasn't Pat's ankle stepped on In both the Colts and Texans games? So is it any surprise he had problems? After the Jags game he went to Oakland and looked fine, dominated the Ravens at Arrowhead and ran the ball 50 yards in the Detroit game. So I think the whole "he's been suffering all year" notion is a way OTT. The times he's had ankle problems are the games his ankle has been hit I.E Jags, Colts and Texans. Every other game he seemed fine to me.

thegame214 10-22-2019 11:44 AM

Weird that they haven't ruled Pat out...

Amnorix 10-22-2019 11:54 AM

Could be Q, but I'll risk it.

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com...rip=info&w=600

MIAdragon 10-22-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegame214 (Post 14544963)
Weird that they haven't ruled Pat out...

Why do it until you have to?

O.city 10-22-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544764)
Mahomes is tough as they come. For several games straight he was barely able to play through shit. That tells you a lot about his injury. It's not a stinger. It's the same injury over and over. I don't care if he plays OK with a million pounds of tape around it, if he's only going to re-aggravate it every game. It begins to matter when the most important player on the field can't use his legs and starts throwing passes into the ground.

It's obvious that this injury is due to the same ankle not being 100%. Nobody is saying hold him out a year. Are yiu really telling me that a few weeks won't improve his ankle health and mobility?

If he misses a game, he'll have had 2 weeks on that ankle to heal. It's not as if he's just sitting around doing nothing though.

I think you guys are too worried about this shit. If he's healthy enough to play, he needs to play.

O.city 10-22-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544771)
Nobody is saying 100%. Otherwise people would be screaming for immediate surgery. I don't know anyone who's saying that. At most people are saying up to the bye week and most are saying take the safest timeline burkholder has available which is 3 or 4 weeks.

They immediately ruled out surgery after the MRI. Where is this coming from that he'll need surgery?

Giant Octopodes 10-22-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Just want to point out this is literally the opposite of the mindset the Patriots have under Belichick. They give zero shits about HFA or getting a bye in October, or November. You can't win a bye in October, as Belichick has often said. Their one and only focus right now is on the Cleveland Browns. You focus entirely on the opponent in front of you, because that's the only game you can win this week, and then after the division is locked and Only after the division is locked, you see where things stand and start worrying about HFA.

Now that's not to say that we as fans can't focus way far out, but the only 2 questions the Chiefs organization should have in their minds right now would be: 1) What gives us the best chance of winning vs the Packers, and 2) What is in the best long term interest of the team. I can guarantee that since there's no chance of Mahomes coming back this week, they are literally not even considering anything in relation to Mahomes at this time. What would be the point? When he's healthy enough to practice, you put him out in the controlled environment which is practice, see how he responds, and then evaluate from there.

That kind of myopic, day by day focus, ignore those things you can't control and focus on the decisions in front of you Today, That's the way the Patriots have built their dynasty.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14545003)
They immediately ruled out surgery after the MRI. Where is this coming from that he'll need surgery?

The point is you're acting like the cautious crowd is demanding immediate surgery and shelving him or holding out for the year. Nobody is saying that. A few guys at most, with some saying wait until the bye.

O.city 10-22-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14545024)
The point is you're acting like the cautious crowd is demanding immediate surgery and shelving him or holding out for the year. Nobody is saying that. A few guys at most, with some saying wait until the bye.

No, i'm saying don't hold him out if he's healthy just because you're afraid he'll get hurt again or hurt it worse.

If he's healthy enough to play, play.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14544998)
If he misses a game, he'll have had 2 weeks on that ankle to heal. It's not as if he's just sitting around doing nothing though.

I think you guys are too worried about this shit. If he's healthy enough to play, he needs to play.

And again, he has been "healthy enough to play" all season long. Including doing all the right things with rehab and prep. And yet he re-aggravated the ankle for a few straight weeks. Just because he's healthy enough to play doesn't mean he couldn't be healthier with just a little extra time. **** the idea that we need him to get back at passable health. We need him back in as best of condition we can get him in the least amount of time.

Marcellus 10-22-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14545033)
And again, he has been "healthy enough to play" all season long. Including doing all the right things with rehab and prep. And yet he re-aggravated the ankle for a few straight weeks. Just because he's healthy enough to play doesn't mean he couldn't be healthier with just a little extra time. **** the idea that we need him to get back at passable health. We need him back in as best of condition we can get him in the least amount of time.

And who exactly makes this determination? I see a lot of words and zero substance to these comments.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 14545061)
And who exactly makes this determination? I see a lot of words and zero substance to these comments.

There is also zero substance to the idea that mahomes best knows when his body is ready or that because he is cleared to play he is healthy, given that we've been doing that all season long and he kept re-aggravating the ankle injury. Competitors will always be motivated to get back onto the field asap. We have to be smarter about it.

Andy Reid and hunt make that determination. If burkholder tells them 2-4 weeks or whatever, they should determine whether to take the safe or the aggressive side of that. They have to decide if winning now is worth what recovery he could make with an extra week or 2. Getting a passable green light does not mean it's a simple decision to just play him.

O.city 10-22-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14545033)

And again, if it's a high ankle sprain, that's gonna be a while.

If you hold him out until he's fully healthy, you could be in a situation where you're not a lock to even make the playoffs. If he's not gonna be healthy again for the rest of the season, just shut him down.

underEJ 10-22-2019 12:56 PM

The mri showed no additional damage. Therefore the only measures of okayness are swelling and pain or weirdness (I've had my kneecap out, after it is back in, it doesn't hurt for long, then it just feels weird for a while.) The doctor can measure swelling, but for the rest, the doctor is just going to ask him how he feels anyway. The brace for this is also very minimal and will not hurt his mobility.

As for the ankle, if you could get the linemen to stop stepping on him, it wouldn't happen again. His durability is not the problem. Fix the friendly fire problem.

BigRedChief 10-22-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14544826)
you actin' like a little bitch right now

LMAO
I agree with your 11-5 record but then we lose the tie breakers. That doesn’t make me a little bitch, just a realist.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14545085)
And again, if it's a high ankle sprain, that's gonna be a while.

If you hold him out until he's fully healthy, you could be in a situation where you're not a lock to even make the playoffs. If he's not gonna be healthy again for the rest of the season, just shut him down.

Even if he had a best case scenario, the typical timeline is 3-5 weeks. Matt Stafford had a very similar injury and missed 3 weeks. With 10 day rest that puts him as tentative for the Tennessee game. My vote is still to sit him 2 games, monitor our afc west and afc conference situation, then make a gametime decision for Tennessee. But id rather be on that + side of 3 weeks and let's be real... If hes on the field that soon, it's because we pushed the aggressive timeline.

Hammock Parties 10-22-2019 01:13 PM

This sounds like he has no injury at all. He's back next week.

Quote:

An Athletic Trainer's thoughts on Pat's knee

I work as an Athletic Trainer and have coordinated rehabs for many injuries in my work.

I am very familiar with knee dislocations and can assure you The AT/Doctors are correct in assuming he can comeback earlier than once thought, and here is why

When you dislocate your patella, one of the primary secondary injuries are damage to the cartilage underneath the patella. That causes a condition called chondromalacia. You can also chip off a piece of that cartilage or bone and it will become a floating body in the joint space. It was immediately evident that neither was the case as pat was seen walking and being able to fully extend his knee.

The next complications are fractures. You can fracture epicondyles of the femur or parts of the patella itself on exit and re- entry. because of the lack of a high velocity contact force on his knee, an exit fracture was easy to rule out. The medical staff reduced his dislocation quickly (as in time his patella was out), slowly and safely which help in reducing the risk of fracture on re- entry.

lastly swelling. The joint capsule has alot of connective tissue surrounding it which helps produce things like synovial fluid to help the joint bend and provide more structure to the joint. The knee is also a concentration point for Many different ligaments and structures. disturbing the joint is bound to cause swelling which is why he is out at this point. With the MRI showing little structural damage and I am inferring that all they saw was some joint swelling or bone swelling from the patella hitting the epicondyle of the femur.

On this next part, I'm speculating as I don't know Pat's full orthopedic medical history but, I am assuming Pat has some congenital laxity in his joints. Simply meaning some of his ligaments are more flexible than most of ours and has been since birth. You can tell by his spoken history with ankle sprains, as he has suffered multiple. when you sprain a joint over and over it makes the ligament loose specifically to that joint but there is always a threshold of strength and laxity we have. Now seeing that he was easily able to dislocate his knee you can infer he might have laxity in other joints as well.

One last point to note is Closed and open pack positions. These terms mean the position where the joint is the most stable and the least. at full Extension the knee is in the closed pack position and when the knee is flexed at about 25-30 degrees the knee is in the Open pack position. If you review the tape you can see pat has his knee bent as he was landing on his patella at an awkward angle. This just means that the mechanism lined up with the injury and truly was a freak thing with how he landed and the given laxity in his knee joint.

TLDR: All that's wrong right now with Pat is swelling in the joint space and can be easily controlled with Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation (RICE). With some help from anti-inflammatory meds. He will be fine when he comes back and all they need is the swelling to go away

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 14545106)
The mri showed no additional damage. Therefore the only measures of okayness are swelling and pain or weirdness (I've had my kneecap out, after it is back in, it doesn't hurt for long, then it just feels weird for a while.) The doctor can measure swelling, but for the rest, the doctor is just going to ask him how he feels anyway. The brace for this is also very minimal and will not hurt his mobility.

As for the ankle, if you could get the linemen to stop stepping on him, it wouldn't happen again. His durability is not the problem. Fix the friendly fire problem.

I don't think the issue with the knee is aggravating the injury. It's the risk of reinjury. After the first time there is always risk of it popping out again. And I'd have to imagine that risk goes down the longer you focus on rest and rehab.

DaFace 10-22-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14545175)
I don't think the issue with the knee is aggravating the injury. It's the risk of reinjury. After the first time there is always risk of it popping out again. And I'd have to imagine that risk goes down the longer you focus on rest and rehab.

I'm sure that's true to some extent, but you'd think a brace would take care of it. This isn't an injury that just randomly happens when you're running down the field - it requires a ton of pressure in exactly the right spot. Yeah, in the future, that amount of pressure might be a little lower than it was before, but it's still pretty fluky.

JimNasium 10-22-2019 01:27 PM

He good

arrwheader 10-22-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14545154)
This sounds like he has no injury at all. He's back next week.

Yup.

thegame214 10-22-2019 02:59 PM

Welcome to the start of Sunday Night Football, this is....

BAHHHHH GAWDDDDD!

THAT'S PATRICK'S MUSIC!

Marcellus 10-22-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14545083)
There is also zero substance to the idea that mahomes best knows when his body is ready or that because he is cleared to play he is healthy, given that we've been doing that all season long and he kept re-aggravating the ankle injury. Competitors will always be motivated to get back onto the field asap. We have to be smarter about it.

Andy Reid and hunt make that determination. If burkholder tells them 2-4 weeks or whatever, they should determine whether to take the safe or the aggressive side of that. They have to decide if winning now is worth what recovery he could make with an extra week or 2. Getting a passable green light does not mean it's a simple decision to just play him.

So why have you been babbling nonstop for days about this?

And seriously you have no data that tells you waiting another week makes ANY difference in Mahomes recovery.

When he is ready you play him it is that simple. And BTW Hunt won't be involved in that decision, to think otherwise is pretty comical.

Jerm 10-22-2019 03:11 PM

I trust Pat completely 100%...whenever he says he's ready to go, we do it.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-22-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14544702)

Do you even know how football works?

Jerok 10-22-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 14545443)
Do you even know how football works?

It's like discussing playoff seeding with my wife

Pasta Little Brioni 10-22-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerok (Post 14545447)

It's Zilla. Could be her

petegz28 10-22-2019 03:25 PM

He's not going to play Sunday night. I want him too. We all do. But he won't and probably shouldn't.

Marcellus 10-22-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 14545484)
He's not going to play Sunday night. I want him too. We all do. But he won't and probably shouldn't.

Promoting Shurmur pretty much confirms that IMO.

BryanBusby 10-22-2019 04:23 PM

Yeah he's not playing this week. Not a big deal to concede this game, honestly.

MrCasual 10-22-2019 04:25 PM

Don't worry Chiefs fans, Matt Cassell is coming back just for you guys. He will lead your team to victory!!!

TLO 10-22-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCasual (Post 14545615)
Don't worry Chiefs fans, Matt Cassell is coming back just for you guys. He will lead your team to victory!!!

Automatic ban

PHOG 10-22-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerok (Post 14545447)

Yeah, it didn't make much sense to me, what the hell?

PHOG 10-22-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCasual (Post 14545615)

Should be a ban hammer. :spock:

comochiefsfan 10-22-2019 05:11 PM

Do we think he’s available Sunday night?

Like hypothetically, if we find ourselves down 3 with a serious chance to steal the game, do we insert him for the final drive?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10-22-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 14545696)
Do we think he’s available Sunday night?

Like hypothetically, if we find ourselves down 3 with a serious chance to steal the game, do we insert him for the final drive?

No. They activated Shurmur. Mahomes will be out

BWillie 10-22-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 14545434)
I trust Pat completely 100%...whenever he says he's ready to go, we do it.

I don't. Never listen to the player when it comes to injury. The bad asses will try to come back too soon. You have to protect them from themselves.

-King- 10-22-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14545705)
I don't. Never listen to the player when it comes to injury. The bad asses will try to come back too soon. You have to protect them from themselves.

This.

chiefzilla1501 10-22-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 14545417)
So why have you been babbling nonstop for days about this?

And seriously you have no data that tells you waiting another week makes ANY difference in Mahomes recovery.

When he is ready you play him it is that simple. And BTW Hunt won't be involved in that decision, to think otherwise is pretty comical.

We have data that shows that mahomes keeps re-aggravating an ankle injury even when trainers and mahomes say he's ready. But yeah, let's blindly trust a competitive as hell qb who would go on the field with a broken neck if he could.

We have data that shows that most similar injuries shelf a player for at least 3 weeks.

We have data that shows we can easily win the afc west even if we shelf him.

We have data that shows multiple times the past few years when we rushed a player back from injury only to get reinjured for the playoffs.

And it isn't data... Its just ****ing common sense that injuries get better with rest and rehab vs putting stress on it.

And you're nuts if you think Clark Hunt is hands off on what to do with the face of the franchise.