ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Funny Stuff New Conference re-alignment thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=249847)

|Zach| 10-02-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 7963003)
Well, I have read this thread and lots of the older thread and the articles in the KCStar. But, please, point me to the post or story that really outlines it. I could understand the B1G. The opportunities and cultural fit there would be outstanding. The SEC... I really don't get that quite as much. It seems like a negotiation ploy to me, which I could understand from the university perspective. If you have leverage, attempt to use it. I don't understand the fan reasoning.

By the way, the best way to get a point across to actually make a great point. When you have to resort to belittling humor, its usually viewed as a crutch to support a weak position.

First of all it is a stable and premier conference.

Stable...it isn't trying to convince city schools to come or looking like it is going to break apart every 5 mins. There isn't even a buy out clause. Nobody wants to leave it.

They are going to the table with ESPN with their expanded conference and it is going to rain down money. an SEC Network in partnership with ESPN is coming. Texas A&M and Missouri are a big part of the SEC's plans for that network. So are Virginia Tech and N.C. State. But that's in the future. For now, Missouri and Texas are important footprints and markets for the network.

Bigger games...bigger competition...a season's worth of better football.

We won't have to worry WTF is up with the SEC every year if we go there.

Mosbonian 10-02-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

By the way, the best way to get a point across to actually make a great point. When you have to resort to belittling humor, its usually viewed as a crutch to support a weak position.

Only in a well structured debate. Sometime belittling humor is used to show contempt for the position of your discussion opponent.

HolyHandgernade 10-02-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 7962977)
Proximity doesn't make you a better relative.

And yet relativity and proximity are inter-relating terms.

Quote:

Also because it is a quality operation with a PR machine that rivals none.

Wouldn't a "PR machine that rivals none" be a rather poor PR machine? I bet the Jayhawk has a better PR than the Tiger.

Quote:

Plus...they are never afraid to take chances, step outside the norm and try not to sit in a comfort zone.

The same cannot be said for KU.

Are you serious? Are you trying to tell me Disney doesn't have a formula? Here, let me tell you a premise and let's see if you can pinpoint which Disney movie it is:

A young character suddenly finds itself on its own, often deprived of one or both parents, and has to undertake a journey of self discovery, acquiring a few trusted friends along the way, to confront the demons born from its childhood innocence.

Go ahead tell me what unique movie that formula belongs to.

|Zach| 10-02-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Get over it.

Or don't.

But don't play stupid like everyone hasn't talked about the merits of these moves to death.

mnchiefsguy 10-02-2011 09:32 PM

Honestly, I think most Mizzou fans want to leave because deep down we know that Texas and OU are not going to stay in the Big XII. Texas will probably go independent or to the Pac, and OU will then be Pac bound as well. The SEC might not be a better fit for Mizzou, but it sure as hell is a better fit than being in a non-BCS conference. The SEC is not going anywhere. Someone pointed out that their are no exit penalties to leave the SEC. Why is that?

I think Mizzou will be fine in the SEC. It will be different, but it the SEC will be there. There is no guarantee that the BIG XII will. And when the SEC forms their own network, Mizzou will grow even more.

Why should Mizzou be so loyal to the Big XII when Texas and OU have none?

|Zach| 10-02-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 7963044)
Only in a well structured debate. Sometime belittling humor is used to show contempt for the position of your discussion opponent.

HH realignment opinion process.

1. Start with a scenario where Kansas is happy and the B12 is a great conference to be in.

2. Rationalize.

3. Reach

4. Reach

5. Rationalize.

6. Why would anyone want anything other than the Big 12? WHY?

mnchiefsguy 10-02-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 7963022)
First of all it is a stable and premier conference.

Stable...it isn't trying to convince city schools to come or looking like it is going to break apart every 5 mins. There isn't even a buy out clause. Nobody wants to leave it.

They are going to the table with ESPN with their expanded conference and it is going to rain down money. an SEC Network in partnership with ESPN is coming. Texas A&M and Missouri are a big part of the SEC's plans for that network. So are Virginia Tech and N.C. State. But that's in the future. For now, Missouri and Texas are important footprints and markets for the network.

Bigger games...bigger competition...a season's worth of better football.

We won't have to worry WTF is up with the SEC every year if we go there.

Exactly. Zach said it better than I did.

|Zach| 10-02-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 7963077)
Honestly, I think most Mizzou fans want to leave because deep down we know that Texas and OU are not going to stay in the Big XII.

Your whole post was great but I am just going to stop here in the hopes that HH doesn't miss this very valid point and doesn't act like he didn't see it.

HolyHandgernade 10-02-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 7963044)

Usually, its meant to show off in front of a crowd you know already supports or is in league with your position. You know, kinda like junior high. If there were actually some specifics said, I could see this technique. But look through the discussion, its only vague "If you can't figure it out" or "I shouldn't have to restate these things" or "Isn't it obvious". Those aren't answers, they are evasions, therefore the belittling humor is an attempt to extricate themselves from the discussion while trying to claim a victory.

HolyHandgernade 10-02-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 7963081)
Your whole post was great but I am just going to stop here in the hopes that HH doesn't miss this very valid point and doesn't act like he didn't see it.

I actually did answer that point already. So, explain to me this better opportunity scenario?

|Zach| 10-02-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 7963086)
I actually did answer that point already. So, explain to me this better opportunity scenario?

Wow. lol.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/head-in-the-sand.jpg

dirk digler 10-02-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Well, I have read this thread and lots of the older thread and the articles in the KCStar. But, please, point me to the post or story that really outlines it. I could understand the B1G. The opportunities and cultural fit there would be outstanding. The SEC... I really don't get that quite as much. It seems like a negotiation ploy to me, which I could understand from the university perspective. If you have leverage, attempt to use it. I don't understand the fan reasoning.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showp...postcount=1835

|Zach| 10-02-2011 09:39 PM

You responding to something does not make it invalid.

HolyHandgernade 10-02-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 7963077)
Honestly, I think most Mizzou fans want to leave because deep down we know that Texas and OU are not going to stay in the Big XII. Texas will probably go independent or to the Pac, and OU will then be Pac bound as well. The SEC might not be a better fit for Mizzou, but it sure as hell is a better fit than being in a non-BCS conference. The SEC is not going anywhere. Someone pointed out that their are no exit penalties to leave the SEC. Why is that?

I think Mizzou will be fine in the SEC. It will be different, but it the SEC will be there. There is no guarantee that the BIG XII will. And when the SEC forms their own network, Mizzou will grow even more.

Why should Mizzou be so loyal to the Big XII when Texas and OU have none?

Well, the PAC said they aren't taking the LHN and they have basically said no to OU. Texas doesn't want to go independent because they don't want to have to ship their non revenue sports all across the country.

Mizzou may very well be fine in the SEC, but there is no guarantee of that anymore than the Big XII won't continue to go on, and succeed, even if they do so as "the Bickersons".

mnchiefsguy 10-02-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 7963086)

Going to a conference that is not going to break apart and leave you on the outside looking in of the BCS is part of the better opportunity.

Better exposure on the national stage is another.

More money for the school is yet another, and being part of a league wide network as an equal partner is a huge part of that.

The fact that said money will be guaranteed, since the SEC will not dissolve, as opposed to any BIG XII contract, which becomes worthless the second Texas and OU leave is still another.