ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Breaking Bad (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204659)

Reaper16 08-28-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8860485)
Uh-oh.

You just called "Fly" a filler episode. Get ready for the hurt some of the fansof the episode are going to bring. LMAO

Well, he's not wrong. The term is "bottle episode," and they are purely a product of budget constraints.

Of course, as writers know, formal constraints can often lead to great creativity. So some bottle episodes become transcendent. -- "Fly" being perhaps television's preeminent example of this.

Demonpenz 08-28-2012 09:11 PM

Reaper probably likes Talented Mr. Ripley

KcMizzou 08-28-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8860796)
Well, he's not wrong. The term is "bottle episode," and they are purely a product of budget constraints.

Of course, as writers know, formal constraints can often lead to great creativity. So some bottle episodes become transcendent. -- "Fly" being perhaps television's preeminent example of this.

I think I learned what a "bottle episode" was by reading a recap of a Community episode.

It makes sense though. Some great things can come from those limitations, great acting and writing.

Fire Me Boy! 08-29-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8860819)
Reaper probably likes Talented Mr. Ripley

The Talented Mr. Ripley is an outstanding film.

Los Pollos Hermanos 08-29-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8861204)
The Talented Mr. Ripley is an outstanding film.

I agree.

notorious 08-29-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8860652)
It's been a process leading to that moment, a moral decline that's been going for several seasons now. A big scene for me is when he didn't save Jane in season 2 and justified it to himself by saying he was protecting Jesse from her negative influence and the drugs. But really, his main motive was that he was jealous over her control of him and wanted to continue to use and manipulate him (as he's been doing for the bulk of the five seasons).

I thought he let her die because she threatened to tell his wife. She was a liability.

MahiMike 08-29-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8861483)
I thought he let her die because she threatened to tell his wife. She was a liability.

Honestly, by the time Walt got there, Jane was a goner anyway. Not worth taking a chance w/the authorities and getting Jesse in trouble.

NewChief 08-29-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 8861556)
Honestly, by the time Walt got there, Jane was a goner anyway. Not worth taking a chance w/the authorities and getting Jesse in trouble.

No way. She didn't necessarily overdose. She asphyxiated on her vomit. All she needed was someone to turn her over, and she likely would have been fine.

blaise 08-29-2012 10:08 AM

I don't even know if Walt's been in much of a moral decline. He's shown more willingness to get his own hands dirty, and more confidence in his criminal pursuits, but his perception of right and wrong hasn't changed that much. Right, to him, is what benefits him. There's not much he thinks of as wrong. Even in the episodes when he's shown compassion it's usually so he can manipulate someone else. I don't know that he was on a moral high ground to begin with.

Red Brooklyn 08-29-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8859499)
There's no real reason Saul couldn't have done it himself. Saul could have sent Bill Burr's character, even. If Jessie and Walt hadn't been in Saul's office at that exact time then Saul would have taken care of it. So, yeah. Strained.

Again, I agree more than I disagree. Shortcuts were taken, and the logic was forced (strained, as you say). But it wasn't the worst example of that kind of the thing in the show's history.

I liked - or rather WANTED to like - a lot of the episode, so I'm benefit-of-the-doubting. Straining myself, it make it work better in my mind.

Mojo Rising 08-29-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8861564)
No way. She didn't necessarily overdose. She asphyxiated on her vomit. All she needed was someone to turn her over, and she likely would have been fine.

Agree. When she first shot Jesse up she taught him to lay on his side so this didn't happen. Foreshadowing?

I expect to see some prison yard shanking this weekend as their are 9 witnesses to silence.

Baby Lee 08-30-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8857561)
Oh yeah... Todd's little notepad is going to get someone in trouble.

"Is you taking notes on a criminal f***ing conspiracy?!"

Baby Lee 08-30-2012 01:45 PM

Ehrmantraub, an elegy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hu9nbJbS2Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 08-30-2012 01:52 PM

Mike was one of my favorite characters on the show.

The Franchise 08-30-2012 01:54 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-6v-ApehVbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>