ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The OFFICIAL 2013 Mizzou Tigers Basketball Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268694)

warpaint* 03-02-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9457896)
I was pissed in the 1st half. LSU was just draining 3's like they were dunks. At one point they were 6-8 on 3 pt shots.

Ya I'm happy to win but our perimeter defense was a joke once again.

petegz28 03-02-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 9458629)
Ya I'm happy to win but our perimeter defense was a joke once again.

Yes but if we are going to have a weakness that is one I can live with. I am happier with a team trying to win by draining 3's than kicking our ass in the paint.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-02-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9458705)
Yes but if we are going to have a weakness that is one I can live with. I am happier with a team trying to win by draining 3's than kicking our ass in the paint.

I could not disagree more. Almost all DI players can hit a high percentage of uncontested, outside shots. It is nigh impossible to find a DI team that can consistently score the ball in the paint.

The three point line is the great equalizer in CBB, and it allows far inferior teams to compete and win. It's how we lost last year, and if we continue to play the defense on the perimeter we have, it's how we'll lose this year.

petegz28 03-02-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9458767)
I could not disagree more. Almost all DI players can hit a high percentage of uncontested, outside shots. It is nigh impossible to find a DI team that can consistently score the ball in the paint.

The three point line is the great equalizer in CBB, and it allows far inferior teams to compete and win. It's how we lost last year, and if we continue to play the defense on the perimeter we have, it's how we'll lose this year.

Ok well, today's game showed that a team who had to depend on the 3pt shot lost while the team who consistently went inside won. I agree with you to an extent but the 3pt shot is a much lower percentage shot than a layup or dunk.

And if a team is kicking your ass in the paint they are going to have the kickout for the 3 pt shot anyway. Last year was a ****ing fluke in the NCAA. That team never shot that well and never did again. Just unlucky odds for us.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-02-2013 10:09 PM

Look at it on a per-possession basis:

12-30 from 3
18-30 from 2

Team A shoots 40% and scores the same number of points as team B who shoots 60%.

Team A also has 18 chances for a rebound, whereas Team B only has 12.

teedubya 03-02-2013 10:10 PM

What is MU's projected seed right now in the tourney? It would be interesting to have KU and MU meet up in the tourney. I think the powers that be will try to set that up frequently.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the way.

KcMizzou 03-02-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9458886)
What is MU's projected seed right now in the tourney? It would be interesting to have KU and MU meet up in the tourney. I think the powers that be will try to set that up frequently.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the way.

Before today I heard an 8.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-02-2013 10:55 PM

The selection committee almost always underseeds Missouri. We deserved to get bounced last year, but their resume was better than #8 overall. They deserved a 2 seed in 2009 and played like it as well.

Whatever Lunardi or the Bracketology guys say, I'd usually downgrade it by one to factor in the selection committee.

warpaint* 03-03-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9458705)

We can't have matadors out on the 3 point line. It's one of the reasons we're so bad on the road as teams almost always shoot better at home and if shooting uncontested at home it's fish in a barrel. It'll be our undoing in the tourney as we will run into someone that can make shots. In an 8/9 scenario that could very well be round 1. To your point I agree w/ you as far as preference for a weakness but this isn't a weakness for us it's a liability.

GloryDayz 03-03-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9458878)
Look at it on a per-possession basis:

12-30 from 3
18-30 from 2

Team A shoots 40% and scores the same number of points as team B who shoots 60%.

Team A also has 18 chances for a rebound, whereas Team B only has 12.

This.... Rep!

Saul Good 03-04-2013 10:21 AM

AO was named SEC player of the week.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEW...-the-week.aspx

stonedstooge 03-04-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9462727)
AO was named SEC player of the week.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEW...-the-week.aspx

I'm shocked that Webster-Chen didn't get the freshmen award.

duncan_idaho 03-04-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 9459497)
We can't have matadors out on the 3 point line. It's one of the reasons we're so bad on the road as teams almost always shoot better at home and if shooting uncontested at home it's fish in a barrel. It'll be our undoing in the tourney as we will run into someone that can make shots. In an 8/9 scenario that could very well be round 1. To your point I agree w/ you as far as preference for a weakness but this isn't a weakness for us it's a liability.

The thing that's most frustrating is that it is about effort and approach, not ability.

Phil and Jabari Brown are especially lackadaisical at times when fighting through screens on the wing. Both go UNDER far too often.

When they go OVER screens and actually try, other teams don't make crazy amounts of shots. It's comical, at times, watching Pressey just give up on fighting through a screen.

stonedstooge 03-04-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9462785)
The thing that's most frustrating is that it is about effort and approach, not ability.

Phil and Jabari Brown are especially lackadaisical at times when fighting through screens on the wing. Both go UNDER far too often.

When they go OVER screens and actually try, other teams don't make crazy amounts of shots. It's comical, at times, watching Pressey just give up on fighting through a screen.

He might scuff up those purty shoes

Saul Good 03-04-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9462785)

Jumping the passing lanes trying to get an easy steal is the bigger problem. Even if you get a couple, it's a bad trade if the other team keeps canning treys.