ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trailer for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel leaked (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252986)

Gravedigger 06-06-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8663728)
What I don't get is this: it's not like "Alien" was a great plot. A great film, sure. Stylistically, it's up there with "Blade Runner". The music, the suspense, the overall feel: tremendous. But, plotwise, it was basically "Jaws" in space. I surely hope "it ain't no Alien" because that film, with that basic one-hunting-many plotline, can't be redone and shouldn't be redone.

I'll say it proud, I liked Aliens better than Alien. It showed how overwhelming the xenomorph could be, I thought the fact they killed Newt and Hicks right off the bat in the 3rd one ruined it for me, even though the third was entertaining enough, you don't just kill of characters in the beginning like that. Aliens wasn't as suspenseful and wasn't ahead of it's time like Alien and in those categories I'll always give the nod to Alien, but for overall movie I'd watch Aliens over Alien given the chance.

the Talking Can 06-07-2012 08:52 AM

i've stopped reading reviews and watching promos for this...i'm going to see it regardless and want to be as virginal as possible

Aspengc8 06-07-2012 09:40 AM

Saw it last night at premiere event. Overall, a very good movie for both Alien/Aliens fans and ppl that know nothing of the "alien universe". I put that in quotes because it's really not a prequel.

Edit: took out some stuff that may tip off too much info..

keg in kc 06-07-2012 01:33 PM

I've seen enough "awesome visuals/shitty script" comments scanning reviews to concern me a little. Still seeing it this weekend, though, of course.

JD10367 06-07-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8665605)
I've seen enough "awesome visuals/shitty script" comments scanning reviews to concern me a little. Still seeing it this weekend, though, of course.

Tested my IMAX version last night. Only got to see a few scenes (the beginning, a gruesome medical scene around 3/4s of the way through, and the last 15 minutes). Seemed to be exactly what I expected from what I've heard: thoughtful, cinematically gripping, probably confusing for most non sci-fi/"Alien" fans. Not a horror film, not a suspense film per se. Very Ridley Scott. I think most people here will like it, but most "normals" won't like it or get it.

keg in kc 06-07-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8665617)
Tested my IMAX version last night. Only got to see a few scenes (the beginning, a gruesome medical scene around 3/4s of the way through, and the last 15 minutes). Seemed to be exactly what I expected from what I've heard: thoughtful, cinematically gripping, probably confusing for most non sci-fi/"Alien" fans. Not a horror film, not a suspense film per se. Very Ridley Scott. I think most people here will like it, but most "normals" won't like it or get it.

The weird thing is that it seems like the geek reviewers are the ones who have issues with the story, while the 'normals' seem more positive. Not that it's going to color my own reaction either way.

Aspengc8 06-07-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8665621)
The weird thing is that it seems like the geek reviewers are the ones who have issues with the story, while the 'normals' seem more positive. Not that it's going to color my own reaction either way.

Because they are/were expecting this to be the prequel to Alien.. which it is clearly not. I went in not expecting a direct prequel but rather something that gives us a little background info about the Space Jockey/Engineer race. In that respect, the movie delivers.

Rausch 06-07-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8665736)
Because they are/were expecting this to be the prequel to Alien.. which it is clearly not. I went in not expecting a direct prequel but rather something that gives us a little background info about the Space Jockey/Engineer race. In that respect, the movie delivers.

Same universe - different story.

JD10367 06-07-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Well, technically it's a prequel, just not the direct prequel before "Alien". It seems to be to "Alien" what "Phantom Menace" was to "Star Wars": more can certainly come in between "Prometheus" and "Alien", and the direction has been indicated.

keg in kc 06-07-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

That's not the tenor I've gotten from the reviews in question.

Aspengc8 06-07-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 8665745)
Same universe - different story.

This is spot on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 8665819)
Well, technically it's a prequel, just not the direct prequel before "Alien". It seems to be to "Alien" what "Phantom Menace" was to "Star Wars": more can certainly come in between "Prometheus" and "Alien", and the direction has been indicated.

I can see where your coming from. Lots can and will happen on the timeline between prometheus and the frist Alien film.

Anyong Bluth 06-07-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8665872)
This is spot on.

I can see where your coming from. Lots can and will happen on the timeline between prometheus and the frist Alien film.

Finally, others have seen it and understand what I'm talking about. I can see where some aren't thrilled by it, but I like the storyline and think the premise is cool- esp. if they do a follow up on this new storyline. Either way This movie is way way better than say using Phantom Menace as a comparison. That movie was an abortion, but some people just aren't going to like it, but I don't think its a bad script or plot- just that if this is the 1st of a new storyline then the payoff and potential story arc dictates this would be setting the stage for bigger action

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

KevB 06-07-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8665605)

I'm seeing it tomorrow night and I don't give a damn what anybody has said about it thus far. I've been excited to see this all year, and I don't want people to spoil my fun.

jiveturkey 06-07-2012 10:18 PM

This midnight showing is crawling with nerds. I'm pretty sure that the girl with the dragon tattoo is sitting a couple rows in front of me.

jiveturkey 06-08-2012 01:26 AM

Loved it. Looking forward to the rest of the story.